PDA

View Full Version : TyTool 10r3 - Extraction/Frame Accurate Editing/DVD output/Closed Captioning...

jdiner
01-01-2006, 12:06 AM
Alright. The rules in this thread are the same as the last one for my tools. A great many things have been updated recently. And there are some pretty sweet features coming in the near future. But as always it is best to start with a charter for this thread.

Just like before these are rules for this thread, not the forum. If you want to discuss things deemed off limits here make your own threads and set your own rules. But if you decide to participate here then please follow the guidelines.

So the rules for this thread are:

1- NO FLAMES AND NO ARGUMENTS... I am through trying to be nice on this as it just plain does not work. I will without reservation delete anything that shows up here that could be considered either of the above. Enough is enough.

2- It has become clear that we have 2 distinct camps with zealots in both. Fine. Use my stuff. Use Olaf's. I couldn't care less. Many of us got dragged into a war we didn't know we were supposed to be involved in... So a new rule. We discuss ONLY my own tools here... Leave the rest in their own threads! This is not intended to be an attack but rather to stop them. You don't like me. Fine. You don't like my tools fine. You don't like those that use them. You're an ***** but fine for hating people you have never ever met so just go somewhere else.

3- NO ADVERTISING FOR OTHER TOOLS. Again this thread is again about Vsplit/TyTool. If you have something cool to use in place of or even with them the take it to a different thread. Any post by anyone about "you really should use X instead..." is gone the moment I or some of other mods see it.

This is still an open forum. Create your own thread and have at it. But such posts are entirely unwelcome here.

4- Feel free to discuss various OS/wishes/desires/etc.... At some point we should support as much as is possible.

5- Feel free to ask for features but be aware that I am making no promises except to work on things in general... I mean it. Ask. But don't hound me or anyone else, that accomplishes nothing. If you think of something that would be cool let me know. I will add it to the list.

6- I suppose I should say it... I reserve the right to disappear at any time. Just like you do. When life interferes hobbies get put on hold. Having said that it will be obvious when you look at the new toolset that I have been putting in a great deal of time on it. Hope that it helps every do what they want to with their Tivos...

7- Keep DVDLab, tmpgenc et all to a dull roar in here please. It might be better say that we are now 3 camps. TyTool, TyStudio, and TyTool with the output being used elsewhere. I don't mind the occasional this works with DVDLab/Tmpgenc etc... in reference to a problem someone asks about. But in the last while it has felt like we had dropped to advertising again. Please don't do that. There are a number of very good DVDLab threads here on the forum to do that kind of thing etc...

An important note!

Several of these programs require the cygwin1.dll to run. Some of the tools in the TyTool release, mpeg2enc and dvdauthor most notably, were compiled with the cygwin cross compiler. To run these require the presence of the cygwin1,.dll file. This file is huge and seems to get larger all of the time. There is no need to download a new copy of this file everytime. While it does change it is not that frequent. So please download the zip for it from here in this post or else grab it from the homepage: www.cygwin.com (http://www.cygwin.com)

Again, if you try to use the Frame Accurate Editing or DVD features of TyTool this dll is required. If you see a major popup window when trying you are missing the dll. Please unpack the DLL into the same directory as the rest of the TyTool files and executables.

--jdiner

jdiner
01-01-2006, 12:09 AM
TyTool 10r3 with everything... The attachment has the new versions of the tooset in it. All DVD extras and tserver versions are found within it.

VSplit HAS NOT BEEN updated to match this release of TyTool. Sorry. I will get it out as soon as possible. I just didn't want to wait on this any longer. Hopefully the next release will be no more than a week away.

Version 10 is a major upgrade from the earlier 9 series of TyTool. It adds Closed Captioning, a preference wizard, a host of bug fixes, better audio transcoding support, ever improving HD support, etc... etc... etc...

Please check the included docs for information about what has changed and why. The release notes for 10r1/2/3 augment the 9r series of docs. Read those as well if you are new to the tool. Also look at the lrhorer documentation for TyTool it is an incredible resource. And last but not least look in the help menu in TyTool itself for the QuickStart, FAQ, etc...

Highlights of the Fixes and Features in this Release:

725- Fixed the jerking/skipping DVD playback that so many have now experienced. The problem was internal alignment issues. I had been playing with MPEG-2 buffer management ideas way back when and parts of these were left in the code as a result. Sorry this one was just more of the same recovery issues.

726- Fixed the “new LII audio bug” that has plagued 10r1. Once again this one had been fixed but had been lost and what not. It has now been fixed for both the LII and Dolby audio streams. There should be no more endless repeating reports of this one. You still may seem it on the odd occasion, as there is a real bug it is trapping and trying to recover from.

727- Fixed the GUI resize bug. It was just a stupid, stupid mistake on my part. I used what seemed a perfectly good command to restore the window to its pre-minimize size and position when needed. But it was messing up the resize pretty darn solidly. Funny I never tried it the way some others here do so I never noticed… J At least this one was, at long last, just a “new” bug…

How to recover from the 10r1 jerky playback issues:
Now for FredThompson and those others that used 10r1 to make a DVD and deleted, removed, lost, over-wrote, whatever the source files and now only have the “broken playback” VOB files. Here is what you do to fix the problem and get a good working vob.

Steps:
1- Copy the IFO files from the DVD to a hard drive with lots of free room on it.

2- Using the /b flag, for some reason it is crucial, use the copy command to stitch the multiple parts of the VOB file back together again into a single file.
i.e. copy /b VTS_01_1.VOB+VTS_01_2.VOB+VTS_01_3.VOB torepair.vob

3- Now we have a single file that is the entirety of 1 show. So we need to reprocess it through TyTool10r3 with this VOB as the source and the result as a new VOB file. (The VOB-MUX file(s) option in the menu.)

4- This file will now be called torepair.vob.vob. A rather terrible name I know but there you go. There will also be a torepair.vob.vob.chp file. Leaving you set and ready to make a new DVD with this as the source VOB.

5- At this point you are done with the VTS_01_X.VOB files.

6- Loop through the vob sets in this IFO file set and reprocess each one. If there are not multiple files for a single show just skip the copy statement and reprocess the single file into the new format and to create the .chp file.

7- Once you have all of the files repaired then just use them as the source for the menu, recreate the menu and you are off and running.

--jdiner

FredThompson
01-01-2006, 12:33 AM
Testing now. Thanks and Happy New Year, you old coot.

FredThompson
01-01-2006, 01:27 AM
First impression: There should be a STFU option for "Ack. Couldn't find the cc node. How could this happen? Tell jdiner."

If there's no cc in something which is being remuxed, it shouldn't fill the screen with complaints.

Still testing...

edit: OK, my first test was remuxing some streams which were edited today with 10r1. All were larger after the remux except one. CC was enabled by default. The cc node complaint happened on streams which changed size and the one which stayed the same size. That's really odd.

Pendragn
01-01-2006, 01:28 AM
Thanks for the update, jdiner. :D

tk

falcomadol
01-01-2006, 02:07 AM
2- Using the /b flag, for some reason it is crucial, use the copy command to stitch the multiple parts of the VOB file back together again into a single file.
i.e. copy /b VTS_01_1.VOB+VTS_01_2.VOB+VTS_01_3.VOB torepair.vob/b is the same as binary transfer mode in ftp. A plain copy A+B+C D results in an ASCII copy on DOS and windows systems, with any accompanying corruption that might entail :D

Checking this out. Still not sure how I missed an entire revision :)

jdiner
01-01-2006, 02:16 AM
First impression: There should be a STFU option for "Ack. Couldn't find the cc node. How could this happen? Tell jdiner."

Hummm. Don't think I ever tested CC output on an MPEG-2 source. I can tell you right now as I look through it is isn't going to work. There is no CC parser in the VOB/MPEG reader. Never even occured to me to add one.

I suppose I could do so if there are enough streams to reprocess over all. But for 5 to 10 I don't think it is worth it right now.

But I agree. There should not be an endless repetition of the warning/error. I will put a stop to that in the next version.

--jdiner

jdiner
01-01-2006, 02:18 AM
/b is the same as binary transfer mode in ftp.
But just a plain "copy file1 file2" does it in binary if that is correct. So it would seem that the + changes the nature just a bit too much. But I digress...

Checking this out. Still not sure how I missed an entire revision :)
You didn't. The 10r2 release was just 10r1 with a working S1 tserver binary.

--jdiner

jdiner
01-01-2006, 02:37 AM
Have a happy new year everybody. I was going to wait until my clock said 12:01am to say that but I have been sick all freaking week long so I am going to bed.

Somebody ring in the new year for me... and then let me know how it went! :)

--jdiner

FredThompson
01-01-2006, 03:01 AM
Hummm. Don't think I ever tested CC output on an MPEG-2 source. I can tell you right now as I look through it is isn't going to work. There is no CC parser in the VOB/MPEG reader. Never even occured to me to add one.

I suppose I could do so if there are enough streams to reprocess over all. But for 5 to 10 I don't think it is worth it right now.Huh? CC has to be inside the VOBs, right? Maybe I don't understand how the CC works. I'll go read the notes again.

There are probably more than 5-10 corrupted CC streams made by TyTool users. (I know, I know...)

Why are some of the remuxed files larger than the source but others aren't?

BustedSony
01-01-2006, 04:15 AM
Huh? CC has to be inside the VOBs, right? Maybe I don't understand how the CC works. I'll go read the notes again.

I think Josh meant the TyTool CC code is for the initial stripping of the Tystream to vobs/mpeg, a different reader is used when remuxing from mpeg to mpeg, and the latter doesn't in any way recognize the VITS CC encoding, though it may or may not leave it unchanged.

So Mr. Guinea Pig, Fred my Man, let me know if all is well, so I can start clearing 450 Gigs of TCM streams. :D

mesaka
01-01-2006, 06:45 AM
Thanks for the updated code (and especially the opportunity to fix the jerky files - swmbo will be less cross now!). Just extracting for the first time in R3 and get the following error in the tserver output window..

SERVER: We got a message! buf = 'TYSTRM2 192.168.1.3 2571 297405/297411/297412/297413'
-> '297405'
-> '297411'

Warning: Wierd server window size...

Warning: Wierd server window size...

EDIT: It looks like that was a particular corrupted stream as I've tried others and they seem OK. I'll keep you informed!

I'll check the stream when the extraction is complete...

mrdizzy
01-01-2006, 10:27 AM
Have a happy new year everybody. I was going to wait until my clock said 12:01am to say that but I have been sick all freaking week long so I am going to bed.

Somebody ring in the new year for me... and then let me know how it went! :)

--jdiner

Happy new year to all from this side of the pond, too!

Thanks for this release... now please take it easy and give yourself a rest! I presume that procedure for using VTS_0Y_X.VOB files from a finished DVD will work with other vobs too. Hadn't thought of that before, that's great! Perhaps I can combine non-Ty vobs and TiVo recordings on the same DVD, good for when I download missed episodes from elsewhere :D

falcomadol
01-01-2006, 11:28 AM
But just a plain "copy file1 file2" does it in binary if that is correct. So it would seem that the + changes the nature just a bit too much. But I digress...I didn't say that it was sensible, that's just how it works :D Technically speaking, Microsoft is chopping the end of file character off of text files when it attaches themm, additionally, if you don't specify binary files, it loses all those apparent "control character sequences" when it does the copy. You can concatenate a whole mix of ascii and binary files together though (alternate /a and /b when you want to change). It's a nifty tool for some very limited old school purposes.

Cat got smarter. Copy got superseded and no one bothered to make it smart.

I haven't had any trouble double muxing some test files. Additionally, the mux seems to be working properly on DD2.0 and DD5.1 streams. Yay!

newlooper
01-01-2006, 01:26 PM
JD,

I have been struggling with a weird one. I have part two of a show and the whole show is on the tivo and extracts in ty format, but when creating keyframes it bails out at about 1/3 of the show. There are no errors. Any ideas?:confused:

Detected Tivo Type: HDTivo
Detected Audio Stream Type: MPEG Layer II
Final standardAudioSize = 592
Final standardFrameLength = 576
Final standardAudioDiff = 2160 or 00:00:00.024
First Video PTS: 00:03:52.106
......... 100......... 200......... 300......... 400......... 500
......... 600......... 700......... 800......... 900......... 1000
......... 1100......... 1200......... 1300......... 1400......... 1500
......... 1600......... 1700......... 1800......... 1900......... 2000
......... 2100......... 2200......... 2300......... 2400......... 2500
......... 2600......... 2700......... 2800......... 2900......... 3000
......... 3100......... 3200......... 3300......... 3400......... 3500
......... 3600......... 3700......... 3800......... 3900......... 4000
......... 4100......... 4200......... 4300......... 4400......... 4500
......... 4600......... 4700...

DiffTime = 290.344014 (290344) == 4.839067 Minutes

total = 620232704 (591 MB)

Done with 'L:\tystream\NEW TYS\The Triangle-Part Two.ty'...

FredThompson
01-01-2006, 02:51 PM
So Mr. Guinea Pig, Fred my Man, let me know if all is well, so I can start clearing 450 Gigs of TCM streams. :DAre you thinking of remux or ty streams? It looks like the subtitle status isn't set properly in the IFOs from 10r3. At least, a fresh edit of 2 PBS Frontline streams didn't yield and IFO with subtites available. I'll need to find the IFOEdit references and see if that helps. I'm not sure what's happening with the 10r1-created VOBs. Some are larger and some are the same size after remuxing. Does that mean the larger ones didn't have CC to begin with? If so, is the larger size empty CC stuff? TyTool shouldn't do that so I'm puzzled...

edit: ok, I see how to set the CC bit for frame 1 or 2. No subtitles, though.

Josh, is TyTool smart enough to know to only create CC when it exists in the tystream? Is there something that needs to be enabled in the TiVo to record the CC or is it always in the stream if it's available in the broadcast?

cheer
01-01-2006, 04:16 PM
/b is the same as binary transfer mode in ftp. A plain copy A+B+C D results in an ASCII copy on DOS and windows systems, with any accompanying corruption that might entail :DTo be more specific, if you don't specify /b and there's an ASCII 26 (Ctrl-Z) somewhere in the file, DOS thinks it's an end-of-file marker and goes no further.

khig
01-01-2006, 06:51 PM
After having the video shuddering problem with 10r1, I downloaded 10r3 and went through the whole process to create a new dvd of the tystream I had trouble with............and it shuddered:eek:

While beating my head over this, i noticed something with the dvdauthor.exe, but I'll get to that in a second. I remembered I had to check the option for filling audio holes, DOH:rolleyes: Now it works as advertised. I went back and checked to see if I had done that with 10r1 and I had and still had the shudder.

NOTE TO EVERYONE (including the smuck typing this): If you experience video shudder with 10r3, be sure you have checked the option for filling audio holes.

YOU DA' MAN Josh!

Now about that dvdauthor.exe file. Josh, I noticed that the file date for dvdauthor.exe in version 10 is 6/8/2003 (same as version 8) and for version 9 is 2/18/2004. Is that your intension Josh?

lgkahn
01-01-2006, 07:14 PM
still getting the damn warning of every one of my .ty or .tmfs that I try even new ones I pulled off using vserver..

is this just sop from now on that we are always going to get these warnings using dvdauther or is there some way to turn them off in the settings??

STAT: Processing j:\tivo-store\South Park-The Brown Noise.ty.vob...
WARN: GOP is not closed on cell boundary
STAT: VOBU 768 at 257MB, 1 PGCS, 0:19:32

djflux
01-01-2006, 08:06 PM
I've been trying to use TyTool 10r2 and 10r3 to make some VOB/IFO and the video is garbled. It almost looks encrypted, however I've run superpatch-67all and ciphercheck shows that none of my programs are encrypted:

Encrypted CSO Set Stream Name
--------- ------- -----------
No No The Fairly OddParents

I've Multiplexed the ty files into regular mpg files and they look fine, but the process VOB/IFO plays garbled in two different software DVD players on my laptop (PowerDVD and nvDVD).

Am I missing something obvious? I've checked the box to Fill LayerII Audio Holes.

Thanks for your help.
Flux

Philips DSR704 hacked with 6.2 Minimal image
80GB
Backported 2.4.27 USB drivers
USB200M V2
superpatch-67all

JimBliss
01-01-2006, 08:27 PM
still getting the damn warning of every one of my .ty or .tmfs that I try even new ones I pulled off using vserver..

is this just sop from now on that we are always going to get these warnings using dvdauther or is there some way to turn them off in the settings??

I am getting these also.

Now about that dvdauthor.exe file. Josh, I noticed that the file date for dvdauthor.exe in version 10 is 6/8/2003 (same as version 8) and for version 9 is 2/18/2004. Is that your intension Josh?

I took the dvdauthor.exe from 9r18 and overwrote the 10r3 version. Now these GOP is not closed on cell boundary errors go away.

Another thing I noticed,
Fill AC3 Audio Holes
I have to check it each time I open TyTool 10r3

kemac
01-01-2006, 08:50 PM
I have been downloading and processing some large HD shows today without issue however I have this one 2 and 1/2 hr 19Gig show that I cannot retrieve using "get" in tystream mode. My output directory is on a NTFS drive with over 100G free. The drive I am running tytool from has 23G free while my C drive has only 15G free. I was able to retrieve a 14G show earlier today without issue.

TYTOOL output:

Name = '2030042/2030043/2030044/2030051/2030053' fsIDs = '2029972/2029973/2029974/2029975/2029976/2029977/2029979/2029981/.... CUT by kemac'
Tivo Address = '192.168.1.120'
Connected...
Could not open an output file!

TServer Output:

-> '2029972'
Attempted to write to a broken socket
write failed:: Broken pipe
Waiting for an incoming connection!

I noticed the name of the show looks strange above... I am using the latest tserver that's included with your distribution. Let me know if you need any other additional info.

I just discovered that if I use "get parts" and select most of the parts. Here is a comparison: (Looks like its grabbing all but the last five parts)

Bad

Name = '2030042/2030043/2030044/2030051/2030053'
fsIDs = '2029972/2029973/2029974/2029975/2029976/2029977/2029979/2029981/2029984/2029985/2029987/2029990/2029991/2029992/2029993/2029994/2029996/2030005/2030008/2030009/2030010/2030011/2030012/2030013/2030014/2030015/2030016/2030023/2030024/2030025/2030029/2030041/2030042/2030043/2030044/2030051/2030053'
Connected...

Good:

Name = 'H:\The Strat Pack Celebrates the 50th Anniversary of the Fender Stratocaster-'
fsIDs = '2029972/2029973/2029974/2029975/2029976/2029977/2029979/2029981/2029984/2029985/2029987/2029990/2029991/2029992/2029993/2029994/2029996/2030005/2030008/2030009/2030010/2030011/2030012/2030013/2030014/2030015/2030016/2030023/2030024/2030025/2030029/2030041'
Connected...

JimBliss
01-01-2006, 09:30 PM
HDVR2 6.2
Had some ty files I downloaded using 9r18. Before the DVDs at times had interlace and jerky video sometimes.
Seemed to be only local channels (lower bandwidth?). HBO Rome was perfect though.
For playback I use a modded xbox with the DVD playback kit (actually the Windows Media Center Extender) at 480i.
I even modded the xboxdash.xbe for 480p progressive scan still had the issue.

Now with 10r3 the issue seems gone, I only rewatched a couple of shows, but I would have noticed it by now:)
Putting in the old DVD and I see the problems after about 10 mins.
The XBOX even passes the CC to my TV via the HDTV cable.

I'm currently using 10r3 but with DVDAuthor from 9r18.
Cause it doesn't give me those warnings of errors.
Not sure I should be using this DVDAuthor.
Should I be using this DVDAuthor with 10r3?
Should I be using the version that it came with?
At the cmdline they both say, "DVDAuthor, version 0.5.3.", but ...

06/08/2003 06:36 PM 92,099 10r3dvdauthor.exe
02/18/2004 03:39 PM 82,512 9r18dvdauthor.exe
02/18/2004 03:39 PM 82,512 dvdauthor.exe

Are we going to have a 10r4 (like 10r2)?

Thanks for all your hard work

FredThompson
01-01-2006, 09:55 PM
@lgkahn,

I just noticed the nose blow in your avatar. That's gotta hurt!

@JimBliss,

What do you mean by "interlace"? Do you really mean the sawtoothed edge? That's not "interlace" at all. That's a piss-poor conversion of interlaced source to progressive. The XBox doesn't create proper interlaced output. It's a computer, remember, so it creates progressive output which is then rescaled and interlaced for playback on a TV. That's a recipe for low quality.

kemac
01-01-2006, 10:00 PM
Bad

Name = '2030042/2030043/2030044/2030051/2030053'
fsIDs = '2029972/2029973/2029974/2029975/2029976/2029977/2029979/2029981/2029984/2029985/2029987/2029990/2029991/2029992/2029993/2029994/2029996/2030005/2030008/2030009/2030010/2030011/2030012/2030013/2030014/2030015/2030016/2030023/2030024/2030025/2030029/2030041/2030042/2030043/2030044/2030051/2030053'
Connected...

Good:

Name = 'H:\The Strat Pack Celebrates the 50Th Anniversary of the Fender Stratocaster-'
fsIDs = '2029972/2029973/2029974/2029975/2029976/2029977/2029979/2029981/2029984/2029985/2029987/2029990/2029991/2029992/2029993/2029994/2029996/2030005/2030008/2030009/2030010/2030011/2030012/2030013/2030014/2030015/2030016/2030023/2030024/2030025/2030029/2030041'
Connected...

After further investigation it appears I cannot retrieve a show with greater than 32 parts. "Get parts" doesn't provide anything in its part list after 32 fsIDs so I am unable to retrieve the full show even when using "get parts".

jdiner
01-01-2006, 10:54 PM
Huh? CC has to be inside the VOBs, right? Maybe I don't understand how the CC works. I'll go read the notes again.
Yes. But the parser that pulls the VOBs back into the system to make the new VOB out of it isn't aware of the CC. So it gets carried along and will be in the output but it isn't filling the internal structure. hence the warning about having no CC information.

There are probably more than 5-10 corrupted CC streams made by TyTool users. (I know, I know...)
My brain is finally waking up a bit. I have an idea for a new tool that will be simple and brute force but will fix the problem in the old output files rather than doing a full re-process. Should reduce certain problems.

Why are some of the remuxed files larger than the source but others aren't?
Certain elements are padded during the processing phase to maintain alignment etc... Each time you process to pick up the old padding, add what new padding is needed and surprise surprise things get bigger. But not by much...

IF you are that concerned about the reprocessing of things then send me some pizza money (UUmmm Pepperoni and Black Olive... :) and I will hammer out the in place fixer for you and it will be exactly the same size.

--jdiner

jdiner
01-01-2006, 10:57 PM
I presume that procedure for using VTS_0Y_X.VOB files from a finished DVD will work with other vobs too. Hadn't thought of that before, that's great! Perhaps I can combine non-Ty vobs and TiVo recordings on the same DVD, good for when I download missed episodes from elsewhere :D
It will indeed. I had to do that some time ago with SG-1. They just weren't re-airing the 2 I needed. So I downloaded an MPEG-2 source for each of them and reprocessed into a TyTool output vob and made the DVD. Works perfectly.

--jdiner

jdiner
01-01-2006, 11:00 PM
I have been struggling with a weird one. I have part two of a show and the whole show is on the tivo and extracts in ty format, but when creating keyframes it bails out at about 1/3 of the show. There are no errors. Any ideas?:confused:
Yeah. I think so. I put in a check in the HD format for the end of stream marker to make it stop processing at that point. They seemed to need to be enforced in an HD stream. My guess is that you have one in that file but it doesn't really mark the end of the file.

I think I will put an option on that one so you an see if that was it.

--jdiner

jdiner
01-01-2006, 11:05 PM
edit: ok, I see how to set the CC bit for frame 1 or 2. No subtitles, though.
CC and subtitles are NOT the same thing in the DVD player realm. Subtitles are RLE encoded pictures, like the menus for a DVD, that are overlayed on the output image. This is how there can be multiple language sub-titles. So the image sent to the TV has the base playback image and the overlayed subtitle image all on 1. So any TV, monitor, display device can show these.

CC, or Closed Captioning, is a simple formatted text output mechanism that is performed by the TV's decoder itself. So you have to have a TV that has a CC decoder for it to work.

If you want subtitles out of TyTool it isn't present and won't be for some time. May never be for that matter. If you want CC is 99% present.

What is missing is that I forgot yet again to turn on the CC bit when making the DVD. I am doing what I can but I have rarely been this sick.

--jdiner

jdiner
01-01-2006, 11:07 PM

Search for my post on what causes this, what it means, and why it can be ignored. It will be going away before long because I am replacing much of what we use DVDAuthor for with code inside of TyTool. Makes it a ton faster.

--jdiner

jdiner
01-01-2006, 11:13 PM
Now with 10r3 the issue seems gone, I only rewatched a couple of shows, but I would have noticed it by now:)
Cool. Glad it is working better. Should never have happened in the first place but hindsight and all...

I'm currently using 10r3 but with DVDAuthor from 9r18.

Are we going to have a 10r4 (like 10r2)?
That change over wasn't intentional. I had a version I was working on that dumped a ton of debug information so I could see/find certain things trying to figure out what some of the warnings on TyTool streams were really all about. I went back to what I thought was the last released version. Apparently not. I will get it swapped back over.

I have a few other simple things I want to get into 10r4. The Strip RIFF for dealing with the SVCD source files is one of those things. Makes it easy to take certain downloaded materials and put them onto DVD. When making ep files it is a must have.

--jdiner

jdiner
01-01-2006, 11:15 PM
I have been downloading and processing some large HD shows today without issue however I have this one 2 and 1/2 hr 19Gig show that I cannot retrieve using "get" in tystream mode.
That is a string buffer overflow issue. That is another lost fix. Crap. I will try to get it in place again sometime soon. But things were never bigger than a certain size so I took some wicked shortcuts when I made tserver. Now things will happily become HUGE.

--jdiner

kmt
01-01-2006, 11:47 PM
Jdiner

10R3 fixed the LII problem I previously reported for combo download/multiplex. However, I now have an example where I get repeated

Warning: Found a 0L PTS video record... Skipping..

on combo download/multiplex, but not with separate download and multiplex.

I've uploaded an example file and README to you.

jdiner
01-02-2006, 12:48 AM
10R3 fixed the LII problem I previously reported for combo download/multiplex. However, I now have an example where I get repeated

Warning: Found a 0L PTS video record... Skipping..

on combo download/multiplex, but not with separate download and multiplex.
How many times do I have to suggest that people not use that mechanism. For some inexplicable reason it has NEVER really worked right. It is the same code on both ends it just passes it through rather than writing but it doesn't stop it from producing different results. My suggestion is again, don't use it.

--jdiner

FredThompson
01-02-2006, 01:33 AM
Yes. But the parser that pulls the VOBs back into the system to make the new VOB out of it isn't aware of the CC. So it gets carried along and will be in the output but it isn't filling the internal structure.OK, you may be waking up but I'm falling asleep. The last sentence seems to contradict itself. Do you mean the CC will still be in the re-worked VOB even though TyTool complains?

My brain is finally waking up a bit. I have an idea for a new tool that will be simple and brute force but will fix the problem in the old output files rather than doing a full re-process. Should reduce certain problems. Guess what, chief? I've found a previously-muxed stream that will force 10r3 to commit suicide of the disappearing variety.

IF you are that concerned about the reprocessing of things then send me some pizza money (UUmmm Pepperoni and Black Olive... :) and I will hammer out the in place fixer for you and it will be exactly the same size.
I'm not concerned, it just seemed odd. I've also seem some older files that come out smaller. Now, would that be American "pepperoni" and water-packed black olives or are both the real thing? Dad and I were on a business trip in Italy and Mr. Ketchup-is-spicy was having a hard time. He finally saw something he recognized on the menu, pepperoni pizza. Pepperoni in Italian is not the spicy dried sausage with all the red food coloring which is sliced real thin in America, it's a wee bit different...

Will the old tserver_mfs7 supply the CC stuff or are the new releases required? If the later, do they require all those mfs_ files and NowShowing and such from the old days or are they all rolled into one-file'll-do-ya releases?

FredThompson
01-02-2006, 01:38 AM
How many times do I have to suggest that people not use that mechanism. For some inexplicable reason it has NEVER really worked right. It is the same code on both ends it just passes it through rather than writing but it doesn't stop it from producing different results. My suggestion is again, don't use it.

--jdinerWhy don't you just remove it from the menu? "Doc, it hurts when I do this." "Don't do that." http://home.mindspring.com/~fredthompson/Smiley-HeadSlap2.gif

kmt
01-02-2006, 01:52 AM

--jdiner

It's just that its so desirable. If I have a dozen 6GB HD programs to download and convert, it is so much better to be able to batch it all, go to bed, and find it done when I get back to it.

The alternative is to just batch the downloads, and at some later date batch the multiplexes. Besides the extra time, it requires twice the work space because I end up with two dozen 6GB files.

If "piping" the download into the multiplex can't be made to work, perhaps the batch logic of tytool could be extended to allow download ty, then multiplex, then erase ty - for each file in the batch. Not as good since it wouldn't overlap i/o and computation and uses a bit more disk space, but still an improvement.

FredThompson
01-02-2006, 02:37 AM
I feel your pain.
Send me your HDTiVo and I'll do it for you... http://home.mindspring.com/~fredthompson/Smiley-Jester.gif

FredThompson
01-02-2006, 02:49 AM
@lgkahn,
Here's your avatar, http://home.mindspring.com/~fredthompson/Smiley-Puke.gif all grown up and gone to sckrewl. http://home.mindspring.com/~fredthompson/Smiley-Puke2.gifhttp://home.mindspring.com/~fredthompson/3spew.jpg

BustedSony
01-02-2006, 05:28 AM
It's just that its so desirable. If I have a dozen 6GB HD programs to download and convert, it is so much better to be able to batch it all, go to bed, and find it done when I get back to it.

The alternative is to just batch the downloads, and at some later date batch the multiplexes. Besides the extra time, it requires twice the work space because I end up with two dozen 6GB files.

If "piping" the download into the multiplex can't be made to work, perhaps the batch logic of tytool could be extended to allow download ty, then multiplex, then erase ty - for each file in the batch.

Could someone explain to me why you'd want to take a tystream straight to multiplexing, assuming you mean making Vobs/Mpeg? Surely once one has the Tystream on the Hard Drive one would edit out the the junk at the beginning and end and any commercials before considering the result useful for authoring or watching??

lrhorer
01-02-2006, 05:59 AM
Could someone explain to me why you'd want to take a tystream straight to multiplexing, assuming you mean making Vobs/Mpeg?
I doubt most of us do. Obviously some do.

Surely once one has the Tystream on the Hard Drive one would edit out the the junk at the beginning and end and any commercials before considering the result useful for authoring or watching??
That's what I do. I can see occasionaly wanting to dump everything to a muxed file, but I certainly would not make it a habbit. Nonetheless, some people prefer handling it differently.

FredThompson
01-02-2006, 08:13 AM
CC results: Apex AD-2500 TCM stream with CC (visible during mux.) Made an IFO set with CC enabled. Edited the associated IFO with IFOEdit to set subtitles for field 1 and mpeg-2 (why is the default MPEG-1?!?!)

Holy cow! What a crash when subtitles are turned on in the player. Lots of stuttering then the screen became a very dark version of the source and a loud screech in the audio then the unit froze.

The same file won't display subtitles in PowerDVD with these settings or CC in fields 1 & 2 enabled.

This particular hardware player isn't important, other than to pass the results back and I think Josh has the same unit.

Would someone who has gotten CC to work on thier hardware player and PowerDVD please explain how they did it?

That MPEG-1 content flag is also odd. Why is it set that way?

JimBliss
01-02-2006, 09:13 AM
CC results: Apex AD-2500 TCM stream with CC (visible during mux.) Made an IFO set with CC enabled. Edited the associated IFO with IFOEdit to set subtitles for field 1 and mpeg-2 (why is the default MPEG-1?!?!)

Holy cow! What a crash when subtitles are turned on in the player. Lots of stuttering then the screen became a very dark version of the source and a loud screech in the audio then the unit froze.

The same file won't display subtitles in PowerDVD with these settings or CC in fields 1 & 2 enabled.

This particular hardware player isn't important, other than to pass the results back and I think Josh has the same unit.

Would someone who has gotten CC to work on thier hardware player and PowerDVD please explain how they did it?

That MPEG-1 content flag is also odd. Why is it set that way?

Other than check the box in the TyTool,
I play the DVD, and I turned on CC1 on my TV.
I did NOT use ifoedit!

djflux
01-02-2006, 10:12 AM
jdiner (or anyone),

Did you see my post about garbled video?

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=244602&postcount=20

The problem has to be with the way I grab the ty off the Tivo, the way it's recorded, or the way it's processed because I'm playing the VOB directly off the hard drive after I process it into an IFO dir.

I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas on what could be causing this issue. I've searched all over the forum and Googled on the issue and still can't find anything.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,
Flux.

FredThompson
01-02-2006, 11:12 AM
Other than check the box in the TyTool,
I play the DVD, and I turned on CC1 on my TV.
I did NOT use ifoedit!Hmmm...I'll revert to the default status settings and reburn to test. Do you see the CC with PowerDVD or WinDVD?

edit: Bah! That's even worse on the Apex 2500. Oh...geez! I'm an *****!!! CC isn't subtitles. Grrr..... Reburn and test with the TV. Gadzooks. and I jumped on you for "interlace." :eek:

edit 2: Double Bah!!! No CC with PowerDVD, no matter which combination of MPEG1/2, field 1 and field 2 flags I try. Darn it!

laserfan
01-02-2006, 01:35 PM
How many times do I have to suggest that people not use that mechanism. For some inexplicable reason it has NEVER really worked right....Hmmm, it has never *failed* to work right for me. And since I have to do an audio conversion as well, it's convenient to do this at the same time as the (very slow) download process. Including the other (good) reason kmt mentions which is the need for double storage space to dl a ty and then convert to mpg.

Maybe the failures have something to do with the ethernet interface? I'm using the old, slow Tivonet board--I suspect many/most here are using the newer, faster Turbonet board.

kmt
01-02-2006, 01:51 PM
Hmmm, it has never *failed* to work right for me. And since I have to do an audio conversion as well, it's convenient to do this at the same time as the (very slow) download process. Including the other (good) reason kmt mentions which is the need for double storage space to dl a ty and then convert to mpg.

Maybe the failures have something to do with the ethernet interface? I'm using the old, slow Tivonet board--I suspect many/most here are using the newer, faster Turbonet board.

I think it may instead be a function of the type of ty file. Since the LII problems went away with 10r3, the combo mux is working for me on HD DTV files, but not on HD over the air files.
On the OTA files, I have to download and mux separately.

jdiner
01-02-2006, 01:54 PM
OK, you may be waking up but I'm falling asleep. The last sentence seems to contradict itself. Do you mean the CC will still be in the re-worked VOB even though TyTool complains?
Exactly. The VOB parser isn't finding the structure and pulling the byte sequecences out. But since that header is sandwiched into the ES for the video it will be in the output.

Since it isn't filling the internal structures TyTool is complaining. So no NEW CC structures are being made and inserted into the data stream but the old ones are still present, still in the right place etc...

Guess what, chief? I've found a previously-muxed stream that will force 10r3 to commit suicide of the disappearing variety.
Big shock there. The VOB parser isn't perfect. Said that time and again. Also said that it was as good as it was going to get. It works on all of my streams but I don't use that feature that often. I would assume the source material isn't from a recent version of TyTool. I taylored it to support that type of file above all others and for me it work on all of those. I have a number of downloaded files that it doesn't work on in wierd ways. No crashes but not proper processing either.

Now, would that be American "pepperoni" and water-packed black olives or are both the real thing?
That would be either Domino's or San Francisco Pier 49 Sour Dough pizza. Hummm... Pizza. :)

Will the old tserver_mfs7 supply the CC stuff or are the new releases required? If the later, do they require all those mfs_ files and NowShowing and such from the old days or are they all rolled into one-file'll-do-ya releases?
The CC processing is part of TyTool only. You an use the older tserver or mfs_ftp or whatever else will download the file. The CC data is found within the chunks in the TyStream file.

The only source that doesn't have it/use it right now is the VOB/MPG input process.

--jdiner

jdiner
01-02-2006, 01:57 PM
Why don't you just remove it from the menu? "Doc, it hurts when I do this." "Don't do that." http://home.mindspring.com/~fredthompson/Smiley-HeadSlap2.gif
Everytime I mention doing that those that have somehow managed to use it without issue raise a cry for me not too...

What I would really like to so is figure out why? Infact I looked through the source code again last night to see what I could see what was going wrong. I downloaded 11 shows from my main tivo in multiplex mode. No issues, no bugs, no warning, no changes in processing. Once again for me it was perfect. Isn't that fun?!!?

--jdiner

kmt
01-02-2006, 02:02 PM
Everytime I mention doing that those that have somehow managed to use it without issue raise a cry for me not too...

What I would really like to so is figure out why? Infact I looked through the source code again last night to see what I could see what was going wrong. I downloaded 11 shows from my main tivo in multiplex mode. No issues, no bugs, no warning, no changes in processing. Once again for me it was perfect. Isn't that fun?!!?

--jdiner

Perhaps try the sample I uploaded for you "st.ty". The error is reproducible for me when I insert it and then combo mux it back.

jdiner
01-02-2006, 02:08 PM
I think it may instead be a function of the type of ty file. Since the LII problems went away with 10r3, the combo mux is working for me on HD DTV files, but not on HD over the air files.
On the OTA files, I have to download and mux separately.
I am working things through again trying to find out the what and the why... Again. But so far I am getting perfect processing...

--jdiner

jdiner
01-02-2006, 02:15 PM
Perhaps try the sample I uploaded for you "st.ty". The error is reproducible for me when I insert it and then combo mux it back.
I don't have any of the re-insertion tools on my pc's or m, tivos. Nor am I going to mess with it. Re-insertion puts things into an unknown state and I have no desire to corrupt my tivos in anyway.

--jdiner

jdiner
01-02-2006, 04:23 PM
Hummm. Found what appears to be a difference in the HD related setup between the mux during download and the just process a file from the HD. Going to have to see if I can't frind a bit more out...

--jdiner

FredThompson
01-03-2006, 01:00 AM
Quick howto hack to enable CC. As noted, this is a remporary fix until TyTool sets the status bit automagically.

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?p=244734#post244734

Kreed
01-03-2006, 02:12 AM
Yeah. I think so. I put in a check in the HD format for the end of stream marker to make it stop processing at that point. They seemed to need to be enforced in an HD stream. My guess is that you have one in that file but it doesn't really mark the end of the file.

I think I will put an option on that one so you an see if that was it.

--jdiner

I am having the same problem on an HD ty file. if I play the ty file in MPC the whole show is there but if I make a key file and try to edit it its missing the last 10 minutes or so...

FredThompson
01-03-2006, 07:04 AM
0-position FAE starting point error GUI bug:

Heh, you knew this would show up, didn't you?

Generate a keyfile and start to edit. Click on either FAE button. Move the position slider, move the window, whatever, just don't click on the accept button. Click on the OK button.

That will create a 0-offset FAE cut point and the muxing operation will fail.

----

Is there an INI statement to set the audio patching for AC3? If so, what is it? It's not PATCHAC3...

bfisher
01-03-2006, 02:25 PM
Why don't you just remove it from the menu? "Doc, it hurts when I do this." "Don't do that." http://home.mindspring.com/~fredthompson/Smiley-HeadSlap2.gif

I use it regularly (or at least did in 9R18) without any problems. I use it when I am downloading to my laptop to watch something later on an airplane. I use the other (more typical) method when I'm making a DVD.

FredThompson
01-03-2006, 05:56 PM
Why not do the edit then watch on your laptop without needing to skip ads?

It's gotten to nicey-nicey around here.

Josh, your program sux 'cause it doesn't work with Easy DVD Maker 2 rev 2 mark III. Where are the documentations. You suck!!!

That ought to spice things up for a while...

mustrum
01-03-2006, 06:05 PM
Great work jdiner
Whilst testing I've found an issue with the new preferences window.Setting audio transcoding doesn't seem to work.I've copied my old ini.file from a previous version as a work around.This seems to be the only way to get mode 8 to stick.Anyone else come across this?

laserfan
01-03-2006, 06:28 PM
Setting audio transcoding doesn't seem to work.Works for me; I think OTTOMH it's mode 4 that I use.

mustrum
01-03-2006, 07:02 PM
Once I copied the old ini.file everything worked fine.I noticed back in the 10r1 thread that someone else couldn't get patch ac3 holes to stick.I'm running XP SP2.Never had this problem before.O.K.At the moment but a pain if I want to change the transcode preferences.(Back to V 9 ,set preference, copy and paste ini.file into V10.3 Directory).
Any ideas jdiner?
Thanks

jdiner
01-03-2006, 08:21 PM
Well it would appear I have tracked down the problem with direct mux on extraction from an HDTivo. Somewhere in the midst of keeping the 2 routines in sync I re-used a variable it looks like. Just tested it and pulled a 3gig stream without issue...

A few more things before I release this next version.

--jdiner

FredThompson
01-03-2006, 09:42 PM
Why does the IFO creation process set the resolution at 704x480 for DTiVo source? Shouldn't it be 720x480 because 480 width is 2/3 D1 which means full D1 is 720, not 704. 704 is the "safe" width which includes a player-generated 8-pixel TV overscan block on each side.

mjk47
01-03-2006, 09:58 PM
I've been using TyTool for a long time now, and I have a small suggestion for an additional option in the preferences.

An "Output Directory = Input Directory" option would be much appreciated. Every time I change the input directory I immediately change the output directory as I like to keep all the files for one program together.

Not a high priority issue, but something to think about.

Many thanks for all the good work,

Martin

JimBliss
01-03-2006, 10:45 PM
Quick howto hack to enable CC. As noted, this is a remporary fix until TyTool sets the status bit automagically.

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?p=244734#post244734

jdiner should this be done by hand for now?
I have not needed to do this, my XBOX plays the CC,
but is this the more correct way to handle it?
Or did you not do this because the CC are in a non standard format,
and it's handled better if this bit is incorrect? (so things don't crash)

My XBOX vs. the HDVR2 6.2,
the XBOX plays the CCs too fast,
the HDVR2 plays the CCs normal speed.
Can we expect this improve?
Or is it something to do with the way the XBOX passes the CC info?
Is there anything that can be done?
I know a decent amount of people that could really use the CCs

Thanks for all your work on TyTool

johnnytaco
01-03-2006, 11:53 PM
jdiner,

Just want to say thank you for tytool. I've had it for some time but haven't really found a need to take files from the Tivo to my PC... Well I have now and your app is extremely easy to use, is super-fast, and has everything I need.

My process is: tystream the video to my PC with automatically generated key file, edit the commercials out, multiplex to mpeg, then convert the mpeg to XviD or DivX using Auto-GK (http://www.autogk.me.uk/). Too easy!

I'm sure I'll come up with suggestions for ehancements as I use this more, but really just wanted to thank you for all your efforts.

jt

jdiner
01-04-2006, 02:24 AM
Generate a keyfile and start to edit. Click on either FAE button. Move the position slider, move the window, whatever, just don't click on the accept button. Click on the OK button.

That will create a 0-offset FAE cut point and the muxing operation will fail.
Bummer. Another real bug. I had messed it up with one of the editing changes. It used to default to -1 and show nothing on the FAE window start. I altered it to go to the 0 field and it threw off the checks to make sure you had something real select. The checks where actually there. Repair both processes and now you can't get the bad processing you mentioned.

Is there an INI statement to set the audio patching for AC3? If so, what is it? It's not PATCHAC3...
I have no idea. I haven't gotten to this one yet. Apparently it doesn't work. Thats all I can tell you.

--jdiner

jdiner
01-04-2006, 02:26 AM
Great work jdiner
Whilst testing I've found an issue with the new preferences window.Setting audio transcoding doesn't seem to work.I've copied my old ini.file from a previous version as a work around.This seems to be the only way to get mode 8 to stick.Anyone else come across this?
Works here. What mode you were trying to set it into? 8? Is that the only one that doesn't work for you?

And copying in the old .ini file would fix it for just 1 run. Then it would be reset as you leave and be whatever other value on exit...

--jdiner

jdiner
01-04-2006, 02:27 AM
Any ideas jdiner?
Yeah. Either wait for a fix or use 9rXX until I get one out.

--jdiner

jdiner
01-04-2006, 02:31 AM
Why does the IFO creation process set the resolution at 704x480 for DTiVo source? Shouldn't it be 720x480 because 480 width is 2/3 D1 which means full D1 is 720, not 704. 704 is the "safe" width which includes a player-generated 8-pixel TV overscan block on each side.
Because that is what DVDAuthor does. It looks for the smallest value >= to the value found in the stream. Just because the 4:3 means it is going to be scaled on display does NOT indicate the final resolution being 720. 640 would be the final horizontal resolution during playback.

So it picks the first one larger and legal and uses it.

Why does this cause you concern? If you really want it changed then use ifoedit and change the value. Since it is a DVD playback only flag it is controllable with that program.

--jdiner

jdiner
01-04-2006, 02:32 AM
I've been using TyTool for a long time now, and I have a small suggestion for an additional option in the preferences.

An "Output Directory = Input Directory" option would be much appreciated. Every time I change the input directory I immediately change the output directory as I like to keep all the files for one program together.

Not a high priority issue, but something to think about.
If you don't set an output directory at all, then the input directory is automatically used as the output directory. Keeping everything together. This is also how I use it and was the default behaviour. The output directory was added to try and help those that had burned to CD/DVD in hopes of a program like TyTool at some point in the future.

--jdiner

jdiner
01-04-2006, 02:35 AM
jdiner should this be done by hand for now?
Yeah. It was being done automatically. But that code got eaten. I will put it back at some point.

My XBOX vs. the HDVR2 6.2,
the XBOX plays the CCs too fast,
the HDVR2 plays the CCs normal speed.
Can we expect this improve?
Or is it something to do with the way the XBOX passes the CC info?
Is there anything that can be done?
I know a decent amount of people that could really use the CCs
The speed issues with the CC are new to me. What do you mean by they play to fast? The flicker on the screen? They don't stay long enough to read? What?

--jdiner

mustrum
01-04-2006, 07:31 AM
And copying in the old .ini file would fix it for just 1 run. Then it would be reset as you leave and be whatever other value on exit...

--jdiner
It does not reset after exit.Reopened and the setting for mode 8 are still set.This suits me as it's the mode I use when muxing .tyfiles.But it still means patching the ini. file if you want to change it ,which defeats the object of the audio preference window.

djflux
01-04-2006, 08:05 AM
I've been trying to use TyTool 10r2 and 10r3 to make some VOB/IFO and the video is garbled.

My issue with garbled video was not a TyTool issue. It looks as if both software DVD players I have on my laptop do not like something about the files on the DVD - possibly the non-standard DTivo 480x480 video resolution.

I tried playing the created files on another laptop with a third software DVD player and the DVD played just fine.

My apologies.

FYI, Here are the software players with which I was having problems just in case someone has similar issues:

nvDVD 1.50.00
PowerDVD DX 5.1

Thanks to jdiner for the INCREDIBLE tool!

Regards,
Flux.

jdiner
01-04-2006, 12:25 PM
It does not reset after exit.Reopened and the setting for mode 8 are still set.This suits me as it's the mode I use when muxing .tyfiles.But it still means patching the ini. file if you want to change it ,which defeats the object of the audio preference window.
Hummm. It writes that file every time. if it is remembering it then the reading and setting in the files is fine and it would appear that setting it in the preferences GUI is what is off. So I will repeat what I asked before. Which mode or modes have you tried setting it to?

--jdiner

FredThompson
01-04-2006, 02:06 PM
Because that is what DVDAuthor does. It looks for the smallest value >= to the value found in the stream. Just because the 4:3 means it is going to be scaled on display does NOT indicate the final resolution being 720. 640 would be the final horizontal resolution during playback.Video pixels (so to speak) aren't square, they're rectangles. Computer pixels are square. Pie are not square, they're round. Cornbread are square.
Why does this cause you concern? If you really want it changed then use ifoedit and change the value. Since it is a DVD playback only flag it is controllable with that program.If it was a simple typo in something you created, a quick fix to change the number/setting would yield proper aspect ratio. It's not a big deal, just seemed like a way to make things more compliant.

bfisher
01-04-2006, 04:17 PM
Why not do the edit then watch on your laptop without needing to skip ads?

It's gotten to nicey-nicey around here.

Yep - if he gets rid of this function, that's what I would do. But since it's there and works fine... why make it any harder than it needs to be? When I have a flight the next day, I queue up 2-8 video files to take with me - download while I'm sleeping, and then they are ready to go when I get up... no additional work involved.

Not a big deal either way...

mustrum
01-04-2006, 06:06 PM
Hummm. It writes that file every time. if it is remembering it then the reading and setting in the files is fine and it would appear that setting it in the preferences GUI is what is off. So I will repeat what I asked before. Which mode or modes have you tried setting it to?

--jdiner
OK I.ve done some testing.The reason it didn't reset was because I hadn't double clicked on the preference just used to the old 'options' version I guess!How about a "double click to select" note in the GUI on the next release.It's an easy mistake to make.I may not post much but I'm no newbie to this.

ronsch
01-04-2006, 08:06 PM
jdliner,

Kudos for the increase in performance! The key file creation and vob muxing process seem to be two to three times faster than with 9R18!!

I have run into an issue with the CC. I downloaded a test program just to try out CC. Didn't do any key file, just went straight to vobmux. I get the closed captions when I play the final result but the video sticks and jumps around just as if I had a TiVo with a failing disk. If I turn off CC on my dvd player, the disk plays just fine. Let me know what kind of other info you would like.

jdiner
01-04-2006, 08:12 PM
Video pixels (so to speak) aren't square, they're rectangles. Computer pixels are square. Pie are not square, they're round. Cornbread are square.
Ummm. I know I am sick and not doing well at the moment but this completely lost me...

If it was a simple typo in something you created, a quick fix to change the number/setting would yield proper aspect ratio. It's not a big deal, just seemed like a way to make things more compliant.
What typo? I still fail to see why one is any better than another? We can't even pick the resolution we have, so we go for one bigger. Why does an even bigger one "help" ?

--jdiner

jdiner
01-04-2006, 08:15 PM
OK I.ve done some testing.The reason it didn't reset was because I hadn't double clicked on the preference just used to the old 'options' version I guess!How about a "double click to select" note in the GUI on the next release.It's an easy mistake to make.I may not post much but I'm no newbie to this.
The visual signal is supposed to be that the selected mode is show above the listbox in a textfield. When you double click it changes and shows the name of mode actually in use. A double click to select from a list seems pretty standard to me, coupled with the text above it should have been clear. Anyone else that uses the audio transcoding features wanna provide any feedback?

--jdiner

jdiner
01-04-2006, 08:22 PM
jdliner,
Wow. Haven't seen that one in a while. There is no L in the nick. just jdiner. :)

Kudos for the increase in performance! The key file creation and vob muxing process seem to be two to three times faster than with 9R18!!
Yeah. Came along pretty nicely on the performance. A few more major things, at least from early testing, to try and it should speed up some more.

I have run into an issue with the CC. I downloaded a test program just to try out CC. Didn't do any key file, just went straight to vobmux. I get the closed captions when I play the final result but the video sticks and jumps around just as if I had a TiVo with a failing disk. If I turn off CC on my dvd player, the disk plays just fine. Let me know what kind of other info you would like.
The problem isn't TyTool or to be honest even your DVD player. Although that is the visible sign of the problem.

The CC packet header only allows for a very small # of CC byte pairs per GOP. The GOPs from the tivos, both SA and DTivo, are huges. Way way way to big for that fixed length packet (there was a detailed discussion of this in the last 10r thread...). Some players have no trouble with this problem and play things as expected, some deal with the difference, the CC packet claiming there are 24 frames and the GOP having 70+, by not displaying the CC data and still others deal with it by playing only the first 24 frames.

Without large scale re-encoding of the source to get the GOP length down there is no real way to fix it. A few suggestions: 1- don't use CC, 2-get a different DVD player for those things you want CC data on, 3- hang onto the streams as the internal re-encoding is an idea I am toying with and potentially something that will arrive in the next 4-6 months and you can process them then.

My personal suggestion. Get a different DVD player...

--jdiner

jdiner
01-04-2006, 08:23 PM
Yep - if he gets rid of this function, that's what I would do.
I won't be getting rid of it. I am just doing my best not to have to support it. If it works for you sweet. If not well... That is how I intend to leave it.

--jdiner

jdiner
01-05-2006, 12:53 AM
Sorry boys and girls. I wanted to get 10r4 out today. But not without a couple of new things. I spent what seemed the whole day at the instacare (they have really got to change the name...) This darn flu just won't let go. Anyway, I didn't get it done. So it is still coming as soon as I can get some of these things in place. Worth the wait I promise. Hopefully tomorrow.

--jdiner

FredThompson
01-05-2006, 06:23 AM
Ummm. I know I am sick and not doing well at the moment but this completely lost me...It was a mixture of two statements. The first was saying that 640x480 is 4:3 ratio for square pixels but video is different. The pixels (or, more accurately, frequency periods) aren't square. That's why 720x480 is 4:3 ratio for digital NTSC. Compare a TyTool menu on your computer to the same when it is displayed on a TV.

The second comment was making fun of the whole concept using an old joke about area of a circle; Pi (r squared).

You must be really sick to have missed this one. I'll drop the jokes until your back on your feet.

What typo? I still fail to see why one is any better than another? We can't even pick the resolution we have, so we go for one bigger. Why does an even bigger one "help" ?
When I typed the comment I thought your routines could control the setting of the resolution attribute. If that were true, setting it for 704 width instead of 720 would have been a typo, of sorts, because...

Aspect ratio isn't correct when the display is 704x480. The result is squished a little horizontally. The 480 horizontal resolution of a DTiVo covers an equivalent area of full D1, 720 pixels, not the slightly smaller 704 pixels which is the "safe" TV display area, allowing for 8 pixels of black on the sides for overscan. Is this something usually noticed? Probably not. Most of the women I know would love to be squished a little horizontally.

So much for not joking... :p

cheer
01-05-2006, 08:38 AM
Aspect ratio isn't correct when the display is 704x480. The result is squished a little horizontally. The 480 horizontal resolution of a DTiVo covers an equivalent area of full D1, 720 pixels, not the slightly smaller 704 pixels which is the "safe" TV display area, allowing for 8 pixels of black on the sides for overscan. Is this something usually noticed? Probably not. Most of the women I know would love to be squished a little horizontally.
Thankyouverymuch, folks, he's here all week. Enjoy the buffet.

FredThompson
01-05-2006, 08:44 AM
Take my wife, please.

A man walks into a bar, the second man ducks.

Hmm...rough crowd.

ronsch
01-05-2006, 10:04 AM
Wow. Haven't seen that one in a while. There is no L in the nick. just jdiner. :)--jdiner

Oops. Sorry about that. Dont' know why I want to keep reading an L into it..

The problem isn't TyTool or to be honest even your DVD player. Although that is the visible sign of the problem.

The CC packet header only allows for a very small # of CC byte pairs per GOP. The GOPs from the tivos, both SA and DTivo, are huges. Way way way to big for that fixed length packet (there was a detailed discussion of this in the last 10r thread...). Some players have no trouble with this problem and play things as expected, some deal with the difference, the CC packet claiming there are 24 frames and the GOP having 70+, by not displaying the CC data and still others deal with it by playing only the first 24 frames.

Without large scale re-encoding of the source to get the GOP length down there is no real way to fix it. A few suggestions: 1- don't use CC, 2-get a different DVD player for those things you want CC data on, 3- hang onto the streams as the internal re-encoding is an idea I am toying with and potentially something that will arrive in the next 4-6 months and you can process them then.

My personal suggestion. Get a different DVD player...

--jdiner

I like this dvd player. It's a Philips DVP642/37 that Amazon always has on sale. It will play almost anything including data dvds with Divx avi files. However, if anyone has a recommendation on a player that can handle this situation I would be happy to check it out.

Since I just reconstituted my DTiVo over the weekend after fatal database corruption, I have 300gb to fill up. I can hang onto movies I wanted to turn into dvds for a while.

Is there any issue with using 10R3 to process ty files extracted with 9R18?

Hope you feel better soon!

laserfan
01-05-2006, 11:48 AM
...I have run into an issue with the CC. I downloaded a test program just to try out CC. Didn't do any key file, just went straight to vobmux. I get the closed captions when I play the final result but the video sticks and jumps...ronsch, you might want to try VideoReDo Plus with your TyTool-extracted streams:

1. Use multiplex mode to get an mpg file (sorry, jdiner doesn't like this)
2. Import to VRD+, edit, and when you save make sure to select the option "Max GOP length = 18". This will correct dozens if not hundreds of GOPs in your video
3. If you save as Elementary streams, you can use muxman to make a "first play" DVD, or, if you save as mpg you can (probably) use TyTool again to make a menu and a DVD

You could also extract the CC information to a subtitle for your DVD. This might work better, and in the process you could edit the display info as well. I like to make subtitles of Aussie & British films that my wife has trouble with (the accents that is) and then I take out all the extraneous CC information such as [LAUGHS: HA, HA] and other stuff [HUMS TO HIMSELF], [CHAINSAW BUZZING] and songs playing, etc.

bbsux
01-05-2006, 12:38 PM
Jdiner,

What exactly is jerking/skipping?

I have 11 dvds That I have not burned yet. They were created by 10r1. None of the files are bigger than 900 meg and thus they are all single vob per show.

Thanks

jdiner
01-05-2006, 01:07 PM
What exactly is jerking/skipping?

I have 11 dvds That I have not burned yet. They were created by 10r1. None of the files are bigger than 900 meg and thus they are all single vob per show.
It just doesn't play smoothly. Believe me if it is in what you are trying to process you will know. It just won't look... right.

--jdiner

bbsux
01-05-2006, 01:12 PM
It just doesn't play smoothly. Believe me if it is in what you are trying to process you will know. It just won't look... right.

--jdiner

can you with a software DVD player? (so I don't have to burn to find out)

madpoet
01-05-2006, 01:30 PM
Please don't beat me too much if this is a silly question ;). Do the 10r releases no longer require NowShowing.tcl? It's not in any of the zips. Should I grab an old copy from the 9r thread?

Thanks,
MP

bbsux
01-05-2006, 01:32 PM
Please don't beat me too much if this is a silly question ;). Do the 10r releases no longer require NowShowing.tcl? It's not in any of the zips. Should I grab an old copy from the 9r thread?

Thanks,
MP

No. it doesn't. It works great without it. It works in any S2.

jdiner
01-05-2006, 01:49 PM
can you with a software DVD player? (so I don't have to burn to find out)
Some yes, some no. None of the versions of PowerDVD I used had that problem. Get an RW disk that can be reused. Burn it, test it, if you are good then go with it. otherwise follows the posted docs on doing the repair.

Only the 10r1 release of TyTool had this problem. NOTE: 10r2.zip had the 10r1 version of TyTool in it.

--jdiner

jdiner
01-05-2006, 01:51 PM
It is no longer need. This was mentioned in some detail in the release notes rtf file for the 10r1 release...

--jdiner

madpoet
01-05-2006, 04:17 PM
I went back and read the release notes again, and used Search within the RTF to make sure I wasn't missing it. I really don't see where it's mentioned ;). But I freely admit I could be missing it, and apologize for it. Thanks for the info.

-MP

ronsch
01-05-2006, 07:37 PM
I went back and read the release notes again, and used Search within the RTF to make sure I wasn't missing it. I really don't see where it's mentioned ;). But I freely admit I could be missing it, and apologize for it. Thanks for the info.

-MP

I was going to ask about that too. I did a search on the 10R1 doc looking for "nowshowing" and "tcl" and only found the references to fixes for the length of nowshowing.

ronsch
01-05-2006, 08:29 PM
ronsch, you might want to try VideoReDo Plus with your TyTool-extracted streams:

1. Use multiplex mode to get an mpg file (sorry, jdiner doesn't like this)
2. Import to VRD+, edit, and when you save make sure to select the option "Max GOP length = 18". This will correct dozens if not hundreds of GOPs in your video
3. If you save as Elementary streams, you can use muxman to make a "first play" DVD, or, if you save as mpg you can (probably) use TyTool again to make a menu and a DVD

You could also extract the CC information to a subtitle for your DVD. This might work better, and in the process you could edit the display info as well. I like to make subtitles of Aussie & British films that my wife has trouble with (the accents that is) and then I take out all the extraneous CC information such as [LAUGHS: HA, HA] and other stuff [HUMS TO HIMSELF], [CHAINSAW BUZZING] and songs playing, etc.

Laserfan,

Thanks for the suggestion. I generated an mpg using Tytool, used VRD+ to massage it and saved with the recommended GOP value. I burned the saved mpg as a data dvd using Nero. The result was better than before but still too jerky to be watchable. I noted that VRD+ had the option of working directly on vob files so I used it on the original vob output from Tytools, saved with the GOP value of 18 and then used Tytools to Create IFO and burn a standard dvd with Nero. The result was in between the other attempts; better than no VRD+ at all, but not as good as using the mpg option. Maybe I do need to consider a new dvd player....

JimBliss
01-05-2006, 08:58 PM
The speed issues with the CC are new to me. What do you mean by they play to fast? The flicker on the screen? They don't stay long enough to read? What?

--jdiner

HDVR2 6.2 the CC comes out normal.
While it is being said it comes out like someone is typing a word at a time as it is being said.

The XBOX shows it a sentence at a time for the most part, which is fast usually you can read it, but sometimes it flashes the sentence up and away to next sentence, not really giving any time to read some of the sentences.

When I use IFOEdit
Newest WinDVD does show the CCs but they are unreadable, scrambled color noise.
Newest PowerDVD does show the CCs but like the XBOX they are fast. A whole sentence pops up, which is fast, normally you can read it, but at times a sentence will disappear before you have a chance to read it. PowerDVD might have timing that is a little better than the XBOX.

The XBOX, WinDVD, & PowerDVD have timing that is the basically the same.

If you have something running 6.2 (I have a HDVR2) and then watch the same show on PowerDVD, I believe you'll see the issue I'm talking about.

JimBliss
01-05-2006, 09:05 PM

I believe I've noticed this. My TV tends to overscan, but I've noticed the DTiVo DVDs tend to do it worst than normal, I wonder if this is why? Can you give a screen shot of the IFOEdit to make this work? Is there only one spot to correct in each ifo file?

I'm looked in my IFO files, and everything I see says 720x480. I use TyTool 10r3, with DVDAuthor from 9r18. I IFOEdit for CC. I then use DVDShrink 3.2.0.15 to either burn with the newest Nero 7 or create an ISO then use Nero. I don't use it to compress, but I've had better luck after running it though DVDShrink, is it changing it all ready? Or am I not looking in the right spot?

laserfan
01-06-2006, 12:21 AM
...The result was better than before but still too jerky to be watchable... Maybe I do need to consider a new dvd player....This is very bizarre I think. Do your discs play smoothly on your PC? Do you have access to some other DVD players to try them on? If not, go to your favorite DVD player store and try your discs in some of the players there. Gotta find out if it's a player problem or something else at issue...

jdiner
01-06-2006, 01:05 AM
I was going to ask about that too. I did a search on the 10R1 doc looking for "nowshowing" and "tcl" and only found the references to fixes for the length of nowshowing.
Could have sworn it got covered... Maybe it was just in posts here on the forum. I have been sick enough the last 2 weeks are kind of blurred. Got put in 2 very nice drugs yesterday and it has already made a difference.

Sorry if it got missed. I may have written it all during one of the nice halucinating phases.

--jdiner

jdiner
01-06-2006, 01:09 AM
Maybe I do need to consider a new dvd player....
Don't get rid of the old one. Get a second one to augment. I have 2 by my tv. one that will play everything From TyTool and one that plays commercial stuff beautifully but won't even read burned media.

--jdiner

eastwind
01-06-2006, 05:34 AM
Could have sworn it got covered... Maybe it was just in posts here on the forum. I have been sick enough the last 2 weeks are kind of blurred. Got put in 2 very nice drugs yesterday and it has already made a difference.

Sorry if it got missed. I may have written it all during one of the nice halucinating phases.

--jdiner
May we know what the drugs are (guessing they're for flu relief) in case one of your updates got infected (I know I got this flu from somewhere :) )?

ew

jdiner
01-06-2006, 12:40 PM
May we know what the drugs are (guessing they're for flu relief) in case one of your updates got infected (I know I got this flu from somewhere :) )?
Hehehe. I am on amoxicillin for the sinus infection and the super infection in my lungs. I am also on budesonide which is apparently a steroid of some sort. (The last part said in my best Ah-nold accent...)

The antibiotics are actually helping. The other stuff who knows. I can't tell...

--jdiner

maule
01-06-2006, 03:59 PM
its not ah toommmuuurrrrrr!:p

mrdizzy
01-06-2006, 05:31 PM
The visual signal is supposed to be that the selected mode is show above the listbox in a textfield. When you double click it changes and shows the name of mode actually in use. A double click to select from a list seems pretty standard to me, coupled with the text above it should have been clear. Anyone else that uses the audio transcoding features wanna provide any feedback?

--jdiner

I have to admit this fooled me in 10r1. My initial excitement at the huge speed increase was because I'd highlighted #6 and assumed it was selected/saved when it wasn't :(. Perhaps if the text line above could be more explicit ("Transcoding options: THE CURRENT SETTING IS:") - or just change it so that a single-click will select/save it, then it would be better. From a UI point of view it seems counter-intuitive to me that all the other items (tickboxes, radio buttons) take effect after a just single click, but the list needs a double click.

I wasn't going to mention it as once I'd worked out what was happening it was ok :). But if other people are being caught out too and you did want to change it, I hope that's useful.

jdiner
01-06-2006, 06:08 PM
I have to admit this fooled me in 10r1. My initial excitement at the huge speed increase was because I'd highlighted #6 and assumed it was selected/saved when it wasn't :(.
Hummm. It is still faster to make keys and mux. Sorry for the confusion. It was supposed to be clear. Or at least clear enough.

--jdiner

ronsch
01-06-2006, 09:32 PM
This is very bizarre I think. Do your discs play smoothly on your PC? Do you have access to some other DVD players to try them on? If not, go to your favorite DVD player store and try your discs in some of the players there. Gotta find out if it's a player problem or something else at issue...

Interesting. Neither Nero nor Windows Media Player could play the dvd. VRD+ will play it but with the same jerky motion I see on the dvd player with CC turned on. I don't actually see the CC with VRD+.

The dvd player plays it just fine as long as CC is explicitly turned off.

falcomadol
01-06-2006, 10:13 PM
Video pixels (so to speak) aren't square, they're rectangles. Computer pixels are square. Pie are not square, they're round. Cornbread are square.If it was a simple typo in something you created, a quick fix to change the number/setting would yield proper aspect ratio. It's not a big deal, just seemed like a way to make things more compliant.AFAIK, television pixels are non-existant. You have line changes periodically based on alternating power current. As far as the TV is concerned (on NTSC), it doesn't matter how many "pixels" are on the line because the line is the same length (the display width) no matter what.

Should only matter on software players, if at all.

Damn, typing with a broken finger sucks.

FredThompson
01-07-2006, 10:10 AM
AFAIK, television pixels are non-existant.That's what "(so to speak)" meant. You are correct in that it all goes back to analog waves but those were broken into specified time intervals for digital video. It makes sense that way but the shape is still rectangular, not square, on display.

The alternative view is there is a conspiracy to make people buy TV equipment and computers and the two shall never work tegether properly.

JimBliss
01-07-2006, 10:33 AM
When a title is done playing it goes back to the title menu,
could we have it go to the next title?
unless it's the last title, which would go back to the title menu
Also is there a way to make the Menu button and the Title button do the same thing?
Any chance this could be added to the 10r4? Or even 10r5 or 10r6?

This is the thing most people ask why about the most
when I make them a TyTool DVD.

hepsnark
01-07-2006, 07:07 PM
love your error messages!
got the following message Vob/Mux'ing an Anime (edited for length):

Mux'ing (with cuts): G:\Tivo xfer\Spirited Away.ty
Detected Tivo Type: Standalone -> US
Detected Audio Stream Type: MPEG Layer II
Final standardAudioSize = 880
Final standardFrameLength = 864
Final standardAudioDiff = 3240 or 00:00:00.036
First Video PTS: 00:00:01.192

ACK! Couldn't find the cc node? How did that happen? Tell jdiner.

funny thing is it was in Japanese/ subtitles but no CC.

may be a corrupt file?
will save file (7 gig/ I'd make it smaller or edit the offending bits if you give direction) in case you want to examine it.

I'll try ver 9 vob/mux, now.

ken

NEXT DAY: must be a corrupt file. Using version 9 Tytool, I did achieve vob files with no problem. DVDAuthor rendered a dvd file with no exception, but DVDShrink balked at the file citing memory and non-existing file problems. My cable service has gotten increasingly wonky. Service went bad with solar flares around Thanksgiving and never quite got back to normal. Thanks for listening.

ACK!

lrhorer
01-07-2006, 07:12 PM
I haven't had a chance to update the docs for Version 10, yet, but try looking here:

http://fletchergeek.com/TyTool/Getting_Started.html

jdiner
01-07-2006, 07:32 PM
This is the thing most people ask why about the most
when I make them a TyTool DVD.
Why? It is the norm for a commercial DVD? Well there you primarily return to the chapter menu. But since we don't have chapter menus you return to the menu you "came from". Why does it stick out as different?

--jdiner

steve457
01-08-2006, 03:25 AM
I had originally extracted a show (Rock Star INXS) from my tivo using 9r18, and had the .ty file saved on my pc. I edited the files using 9r18, and had the .key, and .cut files generated. These files sat untouched on my pc for quite some time, since I was too lazy to actually burn them onto dvd.

Today, I finally decided to finish processing the files and burn them to dvd. I upgraded to 10r3, since I wanted to have the latest and greatest version of the software. I did the VOB-Mux using 10r3, and then created the IFO-files also using 10r3. When I tried playing back one of the files, I noticed that about 30 minutes into the file there are some jerky spots (there may be some early cases, but this was the first place I noticed it, since I was fast forwarding to certain points to test). This is on my pc using PowerDVD v6.0 as the player.

I then tried Vob-mux'ing the file and creating the IFO using 9r18. Using the older version, the same file plays fine and I don't notice any jerky spots. Are there known issues with 10r3, that would cause the jerky playback? If you would like the file sample, please let me know (although it is quite large 1.2gb).

-steve

JimBliss
01-08-2006, 02:00 PM
Why? It is the norm for a commercial DVD? Well there you primarily return to the chapter menu. But since we don't have chapter menus you return to the menu you "came from". Why does it stick out as different?

--jdiner

If you want TyTool to act the way it does, that's cool.

I figured it out though, title to title play works, last title back to DVD Menu.
Menu button now works:)
How it works is to create a Root Menu for each title, and have the title Root Menu point back to the disc title menu.
http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?p=245412#post245412

Works great on all the DVD Players I play TyTool DVDs on, hasn't broke one yet.
Not sure it's in DVD specs or not, I don't really know a lot about ifo files.

No more...
Jim why doesn't the menu button work?
Jim why doesn't it play the whole way though?

BTW...
Thanks for TyTool it's a great app.

>>>JimBliss<<<

natedev
01-08-2006, 06:54 PM
Hi,

Just installed TyTool 10r3 on Windows XP Pro SP2 and my hacked DirecTV Hughes DSR7000 running 6.2. I'd like to ultimately produce an MPEG4 w/H.264 for my new iPod Video (and want to watch programs on my laptop on flights using QuickTime). My TiVo is set for widescreen video. I've used Multiplex mode and am able to create MPEG2 files on my laptop. But I find that playing these MPEG2 files using Windows Media Player 10 results in the wrong aspect ratio. Also, there's some noise at the top of the video in the first line (some white shows up here and there). Is there a way to select the aspect ratio and cropping as it's transferring from the TiVo? I was thinking of functionality along the lines of TiVoTool for the MacOS X (but for Windows).(http://www.tivotool.com/ss/ss.html).

cheer
01-08-2006, 07:25 PM
First of all, your DirecTivo doesn't do widescreen. Yes, there's a setting for your tv type, but it's meaningless. Everything the DirecTivo records is 4:3.

The line you see is actually present in the stream and is normal. It's usually not visible on TVs as it's part of the overscan, but it contains such things as CC information.

So far my experience has been that if I run them through Videora iPod Converter they look perfectly normal on the iPod. Otherwise you'd have to crop with something like Avisynth.

natedev
01-08-2006, 11:30 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. I was wondering why nothing seemed different when I "switched" the TiVo's video settings to Widescreen. Guess they were teasing me.

I just bought PQ DVD to iPod Video Converter and it seems to be doing a nice job of converting the MPEQ2 that TyTool created to the MPEG4/H.264 and cropping and changing the aspect ratio. So it looks like the two apps get the job done! I'd love to see it all done in a single tool. Maybe some ideas for future TyTool versions?

BTW, is TyTool just a GUI front-end to included command-line utils or is its functionality built-in? I was just wondering from the standpoint of building an alternative GUI.

hawkbug
01-08-2006, 11:52 PM
With 9r18, I was running tserver like this on my Tivo:

/var/hack/tserver -s /var/hack/NowShowing.tcl

I have noticed that NowShowing.tcl isn't included in the release with 10r3 that I could find. Is it correct to assume that I don't need the tcl script with 10r3?

drez
01-09-2006, 01:32 AM
With 9r18, I was running tserver like this on my Tivo:

/var/hack/tserver -s /var/hack/NowShowing.tcl

I have noticed that NowShowing.tcl isn't included in the release with 10r3 that I could find. Is it correct to assume that I don't need the tcl script with 10r3?

ugh not this again lol....

correct, the tserver in 10r1 and above do not need NowShowing.tcl anymore. don't use -s /var/hack/NowShowing.tcl in your tytool preferences.

jdiner
01-09-2006, 03:00 AM
If you want TyTool to act the way it does, that's cool.
Not what I was asking. I am trying to figure out where such comments come from and what the thought behind them is. I patterned TyTool off of what was seen elsewhere. The Title versus Menu button was a gotcha from a much earlier version of DVDAuthor. The issue doesn't really seem to exist anymore but TyTool has never been updated.

Commercial disks tend to be disk -> episode -> play -> back to episode -> back to disk menu.

TyTool, ignoring the button complaint, is just disk -> episode -> disk. Since there are currently no sub-menus it is the same pattern.

I get no complaints from those I give disks too... So this is news to me.

--jdiner

jdiner
01-09-2006, 03:07 AM
I'd love to see it all done in a single tool. Maybe some ideas for future TyTool versions?
I actually had it working with any of the standard codecs before I lost my HD awhile back. You could use divx or any of the standard codecs. I will put that functionality back at some point. But for now you are going to have to go another route.

BTW, is TyTool just a GUI front-end to included command-line utils or is its functionality built-in? I was just wondering from the standpoint of building an alternative GUI.
It has built-in functionality. It isn't a just one of the standard "wrapper over open source tools" . There is a command line version of the main processing engine called VSplit. It is included in the TyTool release archive. But it is out of date. I tend to focus on TyTool because that is what I personally use. I do plan to catch it up sometime soon but I spent my whole vacation sick and it put me way behind in my plans.

EDIT: Just to be completely clear there are 2 opensource tools that TyTool does make use of. mpeg2enc to do the minor mpeg-2 recompression at cut points and dvdauthor to turn what is produced into an actual DVD ready set of files. TyTool itself does the splitting, error detection and correction, CC processing, cutting, mux'ing etc...

--jdiner

Ohfugit
01-09-2006, 05:19 AM
Hello,
I could use some help my 1st try at making a dvd with tytool today

when I playback my dvd my 1st 2 titles (of 5)do not do anything.

I am using the 10 release 2 (read through the entire 18 pages) and am using the walk through.

able to dl the video
auto make keys
edit out unwanted stuff save keys
vob mux 1 (new format)

I did this for 5 short files (videos)
I create IFO Files/Dirs
I assign each menu element a name and assign it a vob file (link) then set it
when I am done there are no extra vob files or menu elements
I use a jpg file for the background

preview looks good
I choose Make IFO when done.
I check the directory and all my videos are there and I can play them individually with

PowerDVD xp
I use roxio easy dvd creator in the disk copy mode and it shows each video

when I burn the dvd I am unable to choose menu element 0 or menu element 1 (they highlight but don't do anything) the others work

I tried recreating IFO files/directories in another directory and burned a second disk with the same results,

Any suggestions.
even with all the files I have over 10 gig left over and this is 5, 5 minute video/audio

segments.

hdvr2 6.2 windows 2000

Also Is there a way to enable sound during the GopEditor playback?
what is the suggested size for the background jPG as I only see about 1/2 of it

Thank you very much for your work on this excellent tool.

jdiner
01-09-2006, 04:42 PM
ugh not this again lol....
Yeah. And here I thought rolling to the new server would make this all easier. *sigh* It would appear nothing will make the server questions easy or make them go away...

--jdiner

jdiner
01-09-2006, 04:44 PM
when I playback my dvd my 1st 2 titles (of 5)do not do anything.
You did more than just set the name text right? You actually attached them to a VOB? That is only thing I have ever seen cause what you describe.

--jdiner

Ohfugit
01-09-2006, 04:56 PM
You did more than just set the name text right? You actually attached them to a VOB? That is only thing I have ever seen cause what you describe.--jdiner

Thanks,
Probably something newbyish I did, I figured I'd just ask in case someone had seen it before.

would it matter if the original files were not recorded in highest quality on the tivo ? I was playing with this awhile back but cannot remember if these were the exact ones.

yes I gave it a name then selected a vob from the little drop down list and clicked SET, and the list on the top gets populated with the name/vob.

It is acting just like the vob was not attached to the title.
Being that you said 10r4 is coming out soon I'm going to hold off and try the whole thing again maybe using different movies.

Again thank you!

jdiner
01-09-2006, 05:09 PM
Yeah. I was going to release last night. But I put someone off that had sent to me a bad file. I decided to wait until that one worked to get that fix in. Sometimes people have to be REALLY patient with my timeframes...

--jdiner

mike0151
01-09-2006, 05:19 PM
Just promise us that you are taking regular backups....... *DUCKS QUICKLY*

Mike

Ohfugit
01-09-2006, 06:37 PM
Just promise us that you are taking regular backups....... *DUCKS QUICKLY*Mike

Me thinks you are going to get a "Special update" :D

JimBliss
01-09-2006, 08:07 PM
Not what I was asking. I am trying to figure out where such comments come from and what the thought behind them is. I patterned TyTool off of what was seen elsewhere. The Title versus Menu button was a gotcha from a much earlier version of DVDAuthor. The issue doesn't really seem to exist anymore but TyTool has never been updated.

Commercial disks tend to be disk -> episode -> play -> back to episode -> back to disk menu.

TyTool, ignoring the button complaint, is just disk -> episode -> disk. Since there are currently no sub-menus it is the same pattern.

I get no complaints from those I give disks too... So this is news to me.

--jdiner

Commercial disk tend to have a play all button, since TyTool doesn't, I think that is the issue. Maybe I'll try DVDAuthor 0.6.11 or 0.6.9 to see if it works with TyTool vob files. 0.5.3 came out in 2003-05-02. Would be nice to have at least the menu button working.

jdiner
01-10-2006, 03:18 AM
Just promise us that you are taking regular backups....... *DUCKS QUICKLY*
Oh yeah. On to CD-RW and another machine. Very regularly.

I may learn slowly but I do learn. :)

--jdiner

jdiner
01-10-2006, 03:20 AM
Commercial disk tend to have a play all button, since TyTool doesn't, I think that is the issue. Maybe I'll try DVDAuthor 0.6.11 or 0.6.9 to see if it works with TyTool vob files. 0.5.3 came out in 2003-05-02. Would be nice to have at least the menu button working.
Ummm. 0.5.3 is what is in the release? That isn't right. Come to think of it I never verified it after the disk crash. I will have to look at that.

--jdiner

jdiner
01-10-2006, 03:26 AM
This thread is closed. Please head on over to the 10r4 thread found here: The 10r4 thread... (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47025)

--jdiner