PDA

View Full Version : Tyshow in 2000 works great, but not ME

helpdeskdan
01-02-2006, 01:39 AM
Please forgive me if I ask a question that has been answered, I have looked everywhere.

I have installed tytool on my windows 2000 machine. Works great. Same proceedure on my ME machine. It can not find the stream, as if I had not installed AC3filter and tyshow! (I don't want to have to install linux on it.)

Any ideas? Many thanks!

-Dan

cheer
01-02-2006, 02:14 AM
I'm not sure that TyShow is compatible with ME. ME is a flaky piece of crap anyway. Can you put Win2K or XP on that machine?

helpdeskdan
01-02-2006, 02:18 PM
Indeed! Windows Me is an horrible operating system. If I had to get it working, I'd dual boot linux. However, I'm afraid I've spent too much time on it already. If it does not work under ME, it will just have to stay not working.

Has anybody gotten TyShow to work under ME?

Thanks for your reply, Cheer!

helpdeskdan
01-10-2006, 02:16 AM
Does tyshow require an mpeg2 decoder or something I do not have installed? (No dvd drive on this machine)

Also, for what it's worth, I did manually apply the .reg and register the .dll files just to make sure.

Many thanks,
-Dan

eastwind
01-10-2006, 02:32 AM
Does tyshow require an mpeg2 decoder or something I do not have installed? (No dvd drive on this machine)

Also, for what it's worth, I did manually apply the .reg and register the .dll files just to make sure.

Many thanks,
-Dan
Pretty likely since the ty streams are (very generally) mpeg2 streams with ty wrappers.

ew

helpdeskdan
01-10-2006, 02:30 PM
This is very true.... any ideas what/where to download?

Thanks!

helpdeskdan
01-14-2006, 12:51 AM
I installed a couple different mpeg 1/2 codecs (directshow) with no results. I'm out of ideas now. It won't play .ty files, even if they are downloaded. Anybody have any ideas? Many thanks.

Narf54321
01-14-2006, 01:20 PM
As far as I know, the best way to "play" ty files is either with TyTools (currently v10r4) or possibly VLC. You can also use TyTools to strip the tivo information out and create a regular MPEG2 file.

TyShow is a couple of DLLs and a REG file which "should" allow you to view ty files in most DirectShow programs which support MPEG2. You might try unregistering the TyShow and then re-registering them.

brendag4
01-15-2006, 07:02 AM
I am not sure if I have TyShow working on Me or not. It gives the .ty file a WMP icon, but nothing plays when I click on it. It eventually crashes.

On Media Player Classic, all I get is the sound.

On MPlayer, I get the error "MMSYSTEM281 This file could not be played. Check the filename or install a driver that supports this type of file." (this is even with an mpg). I uninstalled my sound hardware and reinstalled as Microsoft suggested, did not correct the error.

I tried redownloading WMP, and downloaded the codecs from MPlayer

When I try to uninstall TyShow, it hangs. I am afraid that maybe this is the reason why nothing else works.

EDIT: Hmm well actually with Media Player Classic, it depends on the file. I tried 3 different files, with 3 different results. One was just black screen, one was sound, and one said it could not render the file. 2 of the files were done with mfs_ftp, and one was from Ty Tools or Studio, I don't remember which. (The Ty Tools/Studio one is the one that played sound.)

Brenda

cheer
01-15-2006, 12:59 PM
At this point it sure seems like you don't have an MPEG2 codec installed. Dunno whether TyShow requires one, but I bet it does. Your best bet would be to install a software DVD player (WinDVD, PowerDVD, etc.) and see if that makes a difference. Not sure what freebies exist for WinME.

Narf54321
01-15-2006, 01:01 PM
I am not sure if I have TyShow working on Me or not. It gives the .ty file a WMP icon, but nothing plays when I click on it. It eventually crashes.

On MPlayer, I get the error "MMSYSTEM281 This file could not be played. Check the filename or install a driver that supports this type of file." (this is even with an mpg). I uninstalled my sound hardware and reinstalled as Microsoft suggested, did not correct the error.

Here's some info on MMSYSTEM281 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q141349/) and some troubleshooting stuff. It sure looks like you don't have a DVD/MPEG2 player (or at least driver) installed. You need that first, and then install the TyShow handlers.

brendag4
01-15-2006, 07:30 PM
Thanx for the tips!

I reinstalled WinDVD 4 from my DVD drive's disk.

Mplayer works now, if I use it from the command line! (I tried that before and it hadn't worked but I had also been testing with a file I didn't realize was corrupted.)

Using WinVo (front end for mplayer) still gives the MMSYSTEM281 error.

If I am doing other stuff on the computer, it says my system is too slow, and gets jittery. Gave a lot of tips for it that I have not checked into yet.

Reinstalled TyShow. WMP still did not know what to do with a .ty file. Maybe v9 of WMP is too old? I tried to download v10 but it said Me was too old.

Seems like no matter what tool I use, I always get a line across the screen at the top, a few pixels wide.

Brenda

cheer
01-15-2006, 09:39 PM
Seems like no matter what tool I use, I always get a line across the screen at the top, a few pixels wide.
That's normal -- that's actually present in the stream but hidden by your TV. Contains closed captioning info, etc.

helpdeskdan
01-20-2006, 02:08 AM
I was able to play .ty files after installing the vlc player. However, I can not stream, as in I can not play the .asx files downloaded from tivoweb plus.

pdawg17
02-21-2006, 07:14 PM
I was able to play .ty files after installing the vlc player. However, I can not stream, as in I can not play the .asx files downloaded from tivoweb plus.

Did you ever get this figured out? I have XP but have similar symptoms as you...I have a software movie player installed, have tried installing standalone mpeg2 codecs, etc and I cannot get the video to play with TyShow...I get audio (except with OTA shows which use AC3...I can't get the AC3 filter to work either)...

pdawg17
02-21-2006, 07:14 PM

Did you ever get this figured out? I have XP but have similar symptoms as you...I have a software movie player installed, have tried installing standalone mpeg2 codecs, etc and I cannot get the video to play with TyShow...I get audio (except with OTA shows which use AC3...I can't get the AC3 filter to work either)...