PDA

View Full Version : Adobe Premiere Elements rather than DVD-Lab?

Blaq
01-04-2006, 10:01 AM
So far, I've been using Nerovision Express to author DVDs of shows grabbed from my S1 using tyTool. I have found severe audio sync issues on 1-hour and 2-hour shows, and am looking for an alternative to NVE for DVD authoring.

DVD-Lab gets high marks on the forum, but it's $99 for the basic version; for $52 after rebate (http://www.nothingbutsoftware.com/catalog_type_page/ProductCode/33900), I can get Premiere Elements which has DVD authoring plus a full-fledged video editor -- it's *sooo* tempting!

However, I have questions about the program and wonder if anyone around here is using Premiere Elements, and can shed some light on these questions:

- Does Premiere Elements allow DVD creation using nonstandard resolution files like 480x480?

- Elements does not allow submenus. Have people found a workaround?

- Are there any other issues when working with material originating from TiVo boxes? (S1 and S2 -- I might upgrade now that TiVo service is officially available in Canada)

Thanks!

captain_video
01-04-2006, 10:41 AM
I've used several authoring programs over the years and I've found that DVD-Lab is the only one that is Tivo friendly without having to patch hearders or transcode the video. I haven't tried the Adobe products with tympegs but I suspect it won't like the 480x480 resolution. DVD-Lab is very versatile and will probably do most everything you want it to unless you plan on making full-blown menus like commercial DVDs.

charlesml3
01-14-2006, 03:09 PM
I'm going to chime in here right behind Captain Video. DVD-Lab is pretty hard to beat. I use DVD-Lab Studio which is way more than I really need. The standard package is plenty powerful.

-Charles

mmmfishies
01-14-2006, 03:57 PM
Keep in mind that, as I recall, DVD-Lab Studio and Pro don't include the "alternative muxer", which is required to author a DVD with freshly extracted files. I believe that DVD-Lab Standard is the only version that will work for this.

cheer
01-14-2006, 04:44 PM
Keep in mind that, as I recall, DVD-Lab Studio and Pro don't include the "alternative muxer", which is required to author a DVD with freshly extracted files. I believe that DVD-Lab Standard is the only version that will work for this.
Well, not sure about "required." I tried doing a few with DVD-Lab Pro (the trial), and while you don't have the alternate muxing engine, they seemed to work OK. However, I was paranoid about it so I replaced it with normal DVD-Lab (non-pro, non-studio) and use the alternate muxer each time. Works fab.

xboxundone
01-14-2006, 06:49 PM
DVD lab works well with TIVO for me.