PDA

View Full Version : anyone have a second to help a newbie?

drmcfly
01-04-2006, 02:55 PM
hello,

this question is more broad than specific, and I'm a bit overwhelmed by the glot of info in this forum.

basically what I want to know is: can I buy a TiVo and use it solely as a storage/viewing device? I'm a video nerd and can probably read around here and figure out the converting, etc, but big picture-wise:

Will I be able to upload video files (converted to the "ty" format or whatever) to the TiVo without taking it apart, without ordering monthly service, and without having cable or satellite TV service? (I have broadband cable internet). How do the files show up in the menu - is it that .tmf file format? Can non-tivo sourced video be converted to that on a mac or PC?

Also, if this is possible, what kind of TiVos can be used for this purpose?

Thanks in advance for your help, and please let me know if there's a FAQ somewhere that explains this stuff in plain English.

I know that there's a lot of info on this forum, but I just don't know where to start. All these threads started in 2003 and I'm sure the technology has come further since then.

thanks!

cheer
01-04-2006, 03:36 PM
The short answer is no. An unsubbed Tivo CAN be used, but you'd have to pull it apart and hack it to allow videos to be extracted/inserted.

You might consider getting an Xbox and hacking it instead; XBMC is a much better, more flexible media player than a Tivo (IMO).