PDA

View Full Version : Software for R10 - what to do *after* prom replacement?

ssuchter
01-08-2006, 08:01 PM
Hi, everyone - I believe I've successfully socketed and replaced the prom on my R10. But now I'm stuck on figuring out what to do now. The machine boots, I've copied tivoftpd.mips onto the unit (via putting the hard drive in another machine) and created a rc.sysinit.author:

#!/bin/bash

#load usb and ethernet modules
insmod /lib/modules/usbcore.o
insmod /lib/modules/ehci-hcd.o
insmod /lib/modules/ax8817x.o
sleep 15

#configure Linksys USB200M
ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.100 broadcast 192.168.1.255 netmask 255.255.255.0
sleep 60

#start telnetd
tnlited 23 /bin/bash -login &

#start ftpd
/var/hack/tivoftpd.mips

I also have a .profile to add to my search paths:

export PATH=/tivo-bin/:$PATH":"/var/hack/bin/:/var/mfs_ftp:/var/hack:
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/var/hack/lib/":"$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export HOME=/var/hack/root

I got these from a HD10-250 guide:

http://www.imbetterthanyou.com/hr10-250/hr10-250_body.html

The Tivo boots and powers the usb port (I can see one light come on on the usb200m) but the link lights on the usb200m and on my switch don't come on. So, I think I must have some software work to do.

My problem is that I can't find any guides on what to do with an R10 *after* it has been re-prommed. Everything seems to focus on the need to change the prom, but not on what to do once you've done that. Is there some guide for this unit (or can someone point me to a guide that maybe is appropriate for this once once I've changed the prom?)

Thanks,Sean

PlainBill
01-08-2006, 08:17 PM
Once you've changed the prom, the next step would be to 'neuter' the initrd on the 6.1 kernel so your hacks will not be deleted. I believe either killinitrd or replace_initrd will do the trick. Or you could build a custom kernel.

After that, treat it pretty much as you would any system running 6.2. It's going to take some experimentation to figure out what is the same, and what is different. AlphaWolf's Series 2 binaries will work; I believe the serial port uses Com1 rather than Com 2; tivoapp patches are of course different.

PlainBill

ssuchter
01-08-2006, 08:52 PM
Thanks -

Do you have any pointers on which to use? Seems like maybe this is a source for killinitrd:

http://tivoutils.sourceforge.net/

I'm worried because they are talking v3 and v4, and my software is v6. Are we talking about versioning different software, so these version numbers are to different components?

When looking for replace_initrd, I find this thread:

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-21976.html

But now I'm cautious because this thread is all 2003!

I'm concerned that I could hose the unit by running something inappropriate. If I shouldn't be worried about that, let me know and I'll be more aggressive.

Thanks, Sean

PlainBill
01-09-2006, 10:54 AM
Sean, I'm not going to be much help on this since I don't have an R10. There is a thread in the Series 2 Support forum by a guy who has hacked his R10.

I've never used either killinitrd or replace_initrd. Except for special circumstances such as the Series 2.5 systems and TCD140x SA TiVo they're not needed anymore. 2003 would sound like an appropriate date - that was roughly the time monte became commonplace.

As always, the search button is your friend.

PlainBill