PDA

View Full Version : TyTool 10r4 - Extraction/Frame Accurate Editing/DVD output/Closed Captioning...

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

jdiner
01-10-2006, 03:21 AM
Alright. The rules in this thread are the same as the last one for my tools. A great many things have been updated recently. And there are some pretty sweet features coming in the near future. But as always it is best to start with a charter for this thread.

Just like before these are rules for this thread, not the forum. If you want to discuss things deemed off limits here make your own threads and set your own rules. But if you decide to participate here then please follow the guidelines.

So the rules for this thread are:

1- NO FLAMES AND NO ARGUMENTS... I am through trying to be nice on this as it just plain does not work. I will without reservation delete anything that shows up here that could be considered either of the above. Enough is enough.

2- It has become clear that we have 2 distinct camps with zealots in both. Fine. Use my stuff. Use Olaf's. I couldn't care less. Many of us got dragged into a war we didn't know we were supposed to be involved in... So a new rule. We discuss ONLY my own tools here... Leave the rest in their own threads! This is not intended to be an attack but rather to stop them. You don't like me. Fine. You don't like my tools fine. You don't like those that use them. You're an ***** but fine for hating people you have never ever met so just go somewhere else.

3- NO ADVERTISING FOR OTHER TOOLS. Again this thread is again about Vsplit/TyTool. If you have something cool to use in place of or even with them the take it to a different thread. Any post by anyone about "you really should use X instead..." is gone the moment I or some of other mods see it.

This is still an open forum. Create your own thread and have at it. But such posts are entirely unwelcome here.

4- Feel free to discuss various OS/wishes/desires/etc.... At some point we should support as much as is possible.

5- Feel free to ask for features but be aware that I am making no promises except to work on things in general... I mean it. Ask. But don't hound me or anyone else, that accomplishes nothing. If you think of something that would be cool let me know. I will add it to the list.

6- I suppose I should say it... I reserve the right to disappear at any time. Just like you do. When life interferes hobbies get put on hold. Having said that it will be obvious when you look at the new toolset that I have been putting in a great deal of time on it. Hope that it helps every do what they want to with their Tivos...

7- Keep DVDLab, tmpgenc et all to a dull roar in here please. It might be better say that we are now 3 camps. TyTool, TyStudio, and TyTool with the output being used elsewhere. I don't mind the occasional this works with DVDLab/Tmpgenc etc... in reference to a problem someone asks about. But in the last while it has felt like we had dropped to advertising again. Please don't do that. There are a number of very good DVDLab threads here on the forum to do that kind of thing etc...

An important note!

Several of these programs require the cygwin1.dll to run. Some of the tools in the TyTool release, mpeg2enc and dvdauthor most notably, were compiled with the cygwin cross compiler. To run these require the presence of the cygwin1,.dll file. This file is huge and seems to get larger all of the time. There is no need to download a new copy of this file everytime. While it does change it is not that frequent. So please download the zip for it from here in this post or else grab it from the homepage: www.cygwin.com (http://www.cygwin.com)

Again, if you try to use the Frame Accurate Editing or DVD features of TyTool this dll is required. If you see a major popup window when trying you are missing the dll. Please unpack the DLL into the same directory as the rest of the TyTool files and executables.

--jdiner

jdiner
01-10-2006, 03:24 AM
TyTool 10r4 with everything... The attachment has the new versions of the tooset in it. All DVD extras and tserver versions are found within it.

VSplit HAS NOT BEEN updated to match this release of TyTool. Sorry. I will get it out as soon as possible. I just didn't want to wait on this any longer. Hopefully the next release will be no more than a week away.

Version 10 is a major upgrade from the earlier 9 series of TyTool. It adds Closed Captioning, a preference wizard, a host of bug fixes, better audio transcoding support, ever improving HD support, etc... etc... etc...

Please check the included docs for information about what has changed and why. The release notes for 10r1/2/3 augment the 9r series of docs. Read those as well if you are new to the tool. Also look at the lrhorer documentation for TyTool it is an incredible resource. And last but not least look in the help menu in TyTool itself for the QuickStart, FAQ, etc...

Highlights of the Fixes and Features in this Release:

737- Looked at the bad stream I got from forum member rbreding. Had some odd issues at the very start. It was nothing but audio for the first several chunks. And I mean nothing which is odd. Normally there are CC and other formatting and spacing entries. It was throwing the detection routines off. This has been fixed and while this stream works now it is just 1 more potential issue down.

738- Added support for the jump option to the MUX-on-Download feature. There are times when jumping in just a bit is really what is needed. So now it does that even on download when trying to directly produce a playable file.

739- Fixed the problem with the HD MUX-on-download that KMT and other users were experiencing.

747- Added the Strip RIFF code back into TyTool. This feature was present but got lost in the recent disk problems. The entry shows up in the menus below the Split File(s) option. What it is used for is to strip the CDXA RIFF formatting information from an SVCD mpeg file. I have found a few things from various sources that were sent to me as an SVCD CD. I wanted to put them onto DVD with menus etc... So I wrote this handy dandy little option. It pulls everything from the file that isn't data. The resulting file as an MPEG-2 PS that can then be processed with TyTool to cut the start and end if needed, and then be turned into a VOB so that it can be used as the source for the creation of a DVD. Using the Attach VOB feature you can turn multiple disks into 1 "show" on a DVD. Usefull in certain circumstance.

748- Fixed the "0 cut point" problem that FredThompson reported. The problem was entering the FAE window and then exiting using the ESC key rather than the close button. The actual check for it was turned on in 10r3 so that if it was being done before it was OK. Now you can't generated the bad cut point in the first place.

--jdiner

Ohfugit
01-10-2006, 03:53 AM
I'm getting my 30 minute meals programs now using the R4 version :)

If I have a program on my tivo that has 3 parts, but I know the part I wish to keep for my dvd is on the last of the 3 files. Do I still need to download all 3 parts for the editing/vob/ifo to work correctly or can I just use the one part and edit it.(it seems to work in the gopeditor but I had some DVD menu issues before that I haven't figured it out)
Thank you.

johnny
01-10-2006, 11:41 AM
Hi JD,

Not sure if you received my email, but it would be nice if a total of the bytes used on the Tivo was displayed on the TyTool screen. I figured this would be easy since you're already displaying the size of each TY file. I've attached a jpg with an idea of what I'm talking about.

Thanks,
John

myself62
01-10-2006, 11:52 AM
Hi, first let me say great utility!.
Anyway, is there a way in this version to author a DVD with the ability to play all tracks on a disk in order without having the disk go back to the menu after every track? fitting 12 eps of a show on one disk is great, but having to reach for the remote after every track finishes takes away from the enjoyment of the disc. Every other dvd-authoring program i've used has this option. Am I missing the option somewhere, or (hopefully) are you going to add this option in a future release. Thanks!:)

Rob.

cheer
01-10-2006, 12:21 PM
Hi, first let me say great utility!.
Anyway, is there a way in this version to author a DVD with the ability to play all tracks on a disk in order without having the disk go back to the menu after every track? fitting 12 eps of a show on one disk is great, but having to reach for the remote after every track finishes takes away from the enjoyment of the disc. Every other dvd-authoring program i've used has this option. Am I missing the option somewhere, or (hopefully) are you going to add this option in a future release. Thanks!:)
Check the Extraction forum -- someone else just created a thread with instructions on how to do this.

myself62
01-10-2006, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the redirect. I kept getting 0 search results. Chain Play was the key word I needed! I will try this tonight, sounds pretty easy:).

Ohfugit
01-11-2006, 11:07 AM
Would someone help me out with this please, My eyes are burning from lack of sleep.

With PowerDVD as well as roxio player my dvd plays fine,
when I take it to my apex660 the menu's work but it freezes up in under a minute and a half of playing any one of the programs. windows media player 9 doesn't see it in the drive.

I go through the step by step example procedure of getting the video from tytool, make the keyfiles/edit keyfiles /edit commercials create the vobs/ ifo/ simple menu with a bmp background. I saw it asked on another thread if it is freezing at the cuts but it is well before the 2nd cut (I cut the 30 second intro out of each) so it is between the 1st and 2nd cut. I use the default 5 minute chapter so I don't think thats it.

I searched and found it blamed on the media but I can make a copy of another dvd using dvdshrink and it plays with the same media, no problem.
I'm using roxio's media creator /copy DVD

I'm about to give up on this.
Thanks,

myself62
01-11-2006, 12:48 PM
Would someone help me out with this please, My eyes are burning from lack of sleep.

With PowerDVD as well as roxio player my dvd plays fine,
when I take it to my apex660 the menu's work but it freezes up in under a minute and a half of playing any one of the programs. windows media player 9 doesn't see it in the drive.

I go through the step by step example procedure of getting the video from tytool, make the keyfiles/edit keyfiles /edit commercials create the vobs/ ifo/ simple menu with a bmp background. I saw it asked on another thread if it is freezing at the cuts but it is well before the 2nd cut (I cut the 30 second intro out of each) so it is between the 1st and 2nd cut. I use the default 5 minute chapter so I don't think thats it.

I searched and found it blamed on the media but I can make a copy of another dvd using dvdshrink and it plays with the same media, no problem.
I'm using roxio's media creator /copy DVD

I'm about to give up on this.
Thanks,

Hi, I've had trouble with the vob files made in tytools on occasion. Not the same exact problem as yours, but this may work for you to. Extract your files from the tivo with "Multiplex mode" set in tytools. For the best quality, open the tytools.ini file in you tytools folder. Change the mpeg quality setting to "2". This way you will have mpeg-2 files on your drive. To edit the files and save them as vob's, download the demo of Videoredo (google or yahoo search will direct you to their website). Open the files in videoredo, do your edits and then save them as vob's. The demo will run for some time and then you will have to buy a license. I think you will find it well worth the price. anyway, this method works for me and the dvds i've made have all payed perfectly on any player i've used (with the exception of a friends mid 1990's dvd player).

jdiner
01-11-2006, 01:07 PM
For the best quality, open the tytools.ini file in you tytools folder. Change the mpeg quality setting to "2". This way you will have mpeg-2 files on your drive.
That is of course NOT what that flag does. You always have MPEG-2 data. That being the only thing that will come off of tivo. Of any flavour.

The flag you change manually lowers the quality of the re-encoded piece right around a but. Set at 1 on true INTEL CPUs the re-encoded segment suffers from overflow issues and becomes extremely blocky and grainy. (The re-encoding takes place only right around a FAE cut.) At 2 the quality is visually lower but it works on both AMD and INTEL CPUs.

--jdiner

electrocit
01-11-2006, 02:08 PM
I would like to know if series 2 tivos are supported yet? I have been away for the forum for some time and I now have a series 2 tivo and I would like to know tytool will work for extraction and mpeg creation form either .ty from extration or .tivo from extration with tivo to go? thanks.

jdiner
01-11-2006, 03:06 PM
I would like to know if series 2 tivos are supported yet? I have been away for the forum for some time and I now have a series 2 tivo and I would like to know tytool will work for extraction and mpeg creation form either .ty from extration or .tivo from extration with tivo to go? thanks.
Uh yeah. Have been for what? 2 years now.... I would have to go back and look but it has been a very very long time.

--jdiner

myself62
01-11-2006, 03:16 PM
Quote:

Originally Posted by myself62
For the best quality, open the tytools.ini file in you tytools folder. Change the mpeg quality setting to "2". This way you will have mpeg-2 files on your drive.

That is of course NOT what that flag does. You always have MPEG-2 data. That being the only thing that will come off of tivo. Of any flavour.

The flag you change manually lowers the quality of the re-encoded piece right around a but. Set at 1 on true INTEL CPUs the re-encoded segment suffers from overflow issues and becomes extremely blocky and grainy. (The re-encoding takes place only right around a FAE cut.) At 2 the quality is visually lower but it works on both AMD and INTEL CPUs.

--jdiner

Sorry about my c****y typing :). I was trying to say that in multiplex mode you end up with mpeg-2 files on the computer. If I understand right you are saying that all files that come off a tivo are mpeg2? That's what I thought except that my video editing programs will not open .ty files but do open the multiplex mode files. Can I rename .ty files to .mpg and then work on them without the quality loss? What would you recommend as the best quality setting for a p4 intel system? I think it was on "0" for default? Whats strange is that the quality setting doesn't seem to change my final output. The files all seem to look real good. I thought I read in a different thread that a "2" quality was best. (I guess I should have read it again:).
Thanks for the great info.
Rob

captain_video
01-11-2006, 03:58 PM
Ty files are mpeg2 but not in the same format that can be recognized by most mainstream programs. You first have to multiplex them to mpg files using TyTools. The last time I checked, using the Multiplex mode for extraction was a bit quirky by jdiner's own admission. You'd be better off extracting in TyStream mode and then muxing the ty files after extracting them to your PC.

BTW, whatever gave you the notion to edit the tytools.ini file to change the resolution? All you could possibly do is make it worse since there's no way to improve the quality of the video after the fact.

myself62
01-11-2006, 04:39 PM
BTW, whatever gave you the notion to edit the tytools.ini file to change the resolution? All you could possibly do is make it worse since there's no way to improve the quality of the video after the fact.

I Know I read it somewhere, not here at ddb, I thought it was at the tytools home page. I really don't remember, it was about 6 months ago. There's no way I would have figured it out by myself . So, let's see, I changed settings I shouldn't have. I am using a "lossy" transfer method, and the final dvd's look great everywhere I've played them. That makes me like this program even more! lol. I always thought the tystream mode was the best option, but I was having trouble with alot of the .ty files being corrupt. (tytools9r18) would crash whenever i tried to work with the .ty files. I don't think it had anything to do with tytools, but rather than figure out where my system was screwy I just used multiplex mode to transfer the files (which has worked flawlessly on 100% of the files I've transfered). Once I got used to using the other software for editing I stayed with the method. I noticed only minimal loss of quaility. I just got tytools10r4 and will try to do things the "right way" tonight:).
Thanks for the help!
rob.

cheer
01-11-2006, 04:58 PM
So, let's see, I changed settings I shouldn't have. I am using a "lossy" transfer method, and the final dvd's look great everywhere I've played them. That makes me like this program even more! lol.
Just to clarify: the transfers are not lossy at all. The only time loss occurs is at edit points where TyTool has to re-encode just the teeny bits on either side of the cut. So the setting affects cut points, but naught else.

electrocit
01-11-2006, 05:36 PM
I will take a look at the documentation in the tytool10r4 release to get the install info I'm assmuing the it's in one of the release notes. Thanks.

Uh yeah. Have been for what? 2 years now.... I would have to go back and look but it has been a very very long time.

--jdiner

myself62
01-11-2006, 05:41 PM
o.k. I think I'm clear on this. Tystream and multiplex transfer at the same quality. The quality setting in the .ini file only affects the re-encoding at the cut points set in tytools (which would explain why I never saw a difference in quality, as i've been using videoredo for my editing and saving as .vob's). I'm going to try 10r4 tonight and see if my problem with tystream method diappears in the newest release. After that it's time to try using pgcedit to make the dvd's chain play. This is fun stuff!
Thanks again.
Rob

Thos19
01-11-2006, 10:13 PM
Couldn't find this mentioned in the previous threads.

Does anyone get this message during the Make IFO process:

"WARN: GOP is not closed on cell boundary: ##"

where ## is a number. I never saw this before in the IFO window. Does this mean there are errors, or is there nothing to worry about?

Thos.

hepsnark
01-11-2006, 10:17 PM
yep,
i had the same problem.
went back to 9r18 and made key files and Gopped using that version.
no error message.

94SupraTT
01-11-2006, 11:09 PM

--jdiner

I know I've read that in the past but I don't think its been stated nearly as clearly as you just did. :D Thanks. I am going to redo some DVDs and see if some of the blockiness at some FAE cuts that I make go away.

jdiner
01-12-2006, 03:23 AM
o.k. I think I'm clear on this. Tystream and multiplex transfer at the same quality.
TyTool is first and foremost a formatting tool. It takes the data from the odd and extremely custom TIVO format and turns it into a "Program Stream" formatted file. This is not re-encoding nor is it altering the video stream. It is repackaging the data. Think shoe boxes versus U-Haul moving boxes. Different size package same exact contents.

The quality setting affects less than 1% of the file. The FAE cuts are the only re-encoded data. There is quality loss there. There has to be. MPEG-2 is a lossy codec. Every edit degrades some amount. Bad encoders degrade more than good encoders. They key is can you see it/notice it? Or is it smooth enough to make the transitions to and from commercials non jarring.

--jdiner

jdiner
01-12-2006, 03:24 AM
yep,
i had the same problem.
went back to 9r18 and made key files and Gopped using that version.
no error message.
And of course you read what that warning actualy means right?

--jdiner

jdiner
01-12-2006, 03:26 AM
I know I've read that in the past but I don't think its been stated nearly as clearly as you just did. :D Thanks. I am going to redo some DVDs and see if some of the blockiness at some FAE cuts that I make go away.
If you have an INTEL cpu and use quality 1 it is terrible. I have planned for some time to put a real check into the system but it is something that is set once usually and then just used.

--jdiner

wrasp
01-12-2006, 03:33 AM
When I select a large HD file (~17GB) to download I get the following:

Name = '1721526/1721533'
fsIDs = '1721356/1721359/1721362/1721366/1721371/1721373/1721375/1721377/1721380/1721384/1721401/1721408/1721410/1721412/1721414/1721419/1721427/1721434/1721440/1721449/1721472/1721473/1721475/1721479/1721480/1721495/1721496/1721498/1721516/1721517/1721518/1721525/1721526/1721533'
Tivo Address = '192.168.0.212'
Connected...
Could not open an output file!

When I select a smaller file (~2GB) it works just fine.

I didn't have this problem with version 9. Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jeremy517
01-12-2006, 04:02 AM

Name = '1721526/1721533'
fsIDs = '1721356/1721359/1721362/1721366/1721371/1721373/1721'
Connected...
Could not open an output file!

When I select a smaller file (~2GB) it works just fine.

Thanks!

I would guess that your hard drive is FAT32. It would have to be NTFS (or anything that supports file sizes that large). FAT32 only supports 2 GB max.

lrhorer
01-12-2006, 04:24 AM
OK, I should know better than to try three simultaneous upgrades, but I'm getting some really weird results when I try creating a DVD with TyTool 10r3 (I know, but I want to get this resolved before I upgrade again) and Nero 6.6.0.17. I haven't used Nero before, so it could be something I am doing wrong there.

I was using Easy Creator 6, but it doesn't have support for DL discs or Lightscribe. I just bought a new Liteon DL Lightscribe drive, and it came with Nero 6, so I removed Creator (with which I wasn't overly thrilled any way) and installed Nero and the new version of PowerDVD which came with the drive. My DVD players do not like DVD+R media, but I wanted to try DVD+R DL, so I downloaded a copy of Nell from the TiVo, VOB Muxed it and created an IFO set using 10r3. I burned the resulting 5G file to a DL disc and tried to play it in the players. Unlike the other DVD+R media I have tried (or with the other drives), this played, but it played at about 2X normal speed, with corresponding chipmunk audio. Well, that was better than before, but still not good. The DVD played under the new PowerDVD, but with a very noticable audio sync displacement (the audio is almost a full second AHEAD of the video). So I tried applying Nero Recode to the fileset and then burning to a single layer DVD. Lo and behold, I get the same results!

Is anyone out there using Nero 6 with TyTool? When I went to burn the DVD as a data disc (like I did with Creator), Nero said the disc would not be compatible with most DVD players, so on its advice I started a new project using the DVD Video option and burned that way. Should I ignore the warning and burn as a data disc anyway? Should I select a UDF DVD-ROM?

As I type this I am trying to mux and rebuild the fileset using 9r18 to see if that makes a difference, but Nero has quite a few options amd I don't want to waste too many more DVDs.

JimBliss
01-12-2006, 08:59 AM
OK, I should know better than to try three simultaneous upgrades, but I'm getting some really weird results when I try creating a DVD with TyTool 10r3 (I know, but I want to get this resolved before I upgrade again) and Nero 6.6.0.17. I haven't used Nero before, so it could be something I am doing wrong there.

I was using Easy Creator 6, but it doesn't have support for DL discs or Lightscribe. I just bought a new Liteon DL Lightscribe drive, and it came with Nero 6, so I removed Creator (with which I wasn't overly thrilled any way) and installed Nero and the new version of PowerDVD which came with the drive. My DVD players do not like DVD+R media, but I wanted to try DVD+R DL, so I downloaded a copy of Nell from the TiVo, VOB Muxed it and created an IFO set using 10r3. I burned the resulting 5G file to a DL disc and tried to play it in the players. Unlike the other DVD+R media I have tried (or with the other drives), this played, but it played at about 2X normal speed, with corresponding chipmunk audio. Well, that was better than before, but still not good. The DVD played under the new PowerDVD, but with a very noticable audio sync displacement (the audio is almost a full second AHEAD of the video). So I tried applying Nero Recode to the fileset and then burning to a single layer DVD. Lo and behold, I get the same results!

Is anyone out there using Nero 6 with TyTool? When I went to burn the DVD as a data disc (like I did with Creator), Nero said the disc would not be compatible with most DVD players, so on its advice I started a new project using the DVD Video option and burned that way. Should I ignore the warning and burn as a data disc anyway? Should I select a UDF DVD-ROM?

As I type this I am trying to mux and rebuild the fileset using 9r18 to see if that makes a difference, but Nero has quite a few options amd I don't want to waste too many more DVDs.

I use DVDShrink 3.2.0.15 to burn to Nero. (I believe it does DVD9)
Nero 6's most recent is 6.6.0.18, I've mored on to 7.0.1.4b.

But before you do that...
Does the ty file play right? http://sourceforge.net/projects/tyshow/
TyTool's VIDEO_TS folder it makes does PowerDVD play it right before you burn it?

Thos19
01-12-2006, 09:44 AM

--jdiner

jdiner,

I was the one who originally asked the question. I think TyTool is fantasitc, and didn't mean to step on any toes. Just wondering if the error message is indicative of an error or missed step on my part...

Thos.

djflux
01-12-2006, 10:14 AM
... installed Nero and the new version of PowerDVD which came with the drive.

I had issues playing extracted programs on newer versions of PowerDVD (I have PowerDVD DX 5.1) and with nvDVD 1.70.00 (??)

If you want a good, free DVD/media player, I've had great luck with VLC for Win32 (VideoLAN Client - http://www.videolan.org/ ) and it plays the VOB files and Nero 6.6 burned DVD's from TyTool just fine. BTW, I've used both the DVD-Video and UDF DVD-ROM with the XBox compatible option checked to create DVDs with Nero and VLC plays both without issues.

I'd recommend downloading VLC and try playing the VOB files in the VIDEO_TS folder and see if everything is OK. It should be. I'd also recommend burning to RW media to test first. That way you're not wasting media :)

Wabbit
01-12-2006, 11:09 AM

I use Nero 6.6.0.8 (haven't patched it recently), and what I do is what I also did under Nero 5. I use the DVD (ISO/UDF) setting (bottom of the list), turn on "Force DVD-Video Compatibility" under the UDF tab, and it works perfectly. I just drag and drop the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders onto the project.

If you use the DVD Video setting in Nero, it will try to re-encode the video to "spec", and that's probably where the problems you're having come from. I only upgraded from Nero 5, because I got a Dual-Layer drive, and Nero 5 didn't support it.

Wabbit

PS: I don't post much, but I've been following these threads, and using Josh's EXCELLENT tool since (I think) TyTool 7r3 or thereabouts.

jed5426
01-12-2006, 11:30 AM
EDIT*** FIGURED OUT THE PROBLEM*****

Looks like it won't decrypt the old shows PRIOR to the upgrade, it works on the new shows just fine

Sorry for the post, but i figured this may help anyone else.

Having an issue with encryption, I believe. Have hacked 4 tivos previously and never run into this problem.

I hacked my 6.2 hdvr2 and everything went fine. I can connect with tytools (had 9r18 and upgraded to 10r4) and bring up the now showing list, but when I try to grab a show i get the "failed to grab first 10 chunks error" followed by the TYSTRM2 error.

Everything I have read indicates its an encryption problem and that superpatch67 decrypts the shows so they can transfer, but for some reason the shows are still decrypted even though i ran superpatch67 and validated that the tivoapp was patched.

Bye the way if i change it from multiplex to tystream mode, it transfers the raw ty file fine - another indication the problem lies in decryption or unscrambling of the shows.

Any ideas?

Narf54321
01-12-2006, 12:11 PM
Everything I have read indicates its an encryption problem and that superpatch67 decrypts the shows so they can transfer, but for some reason the shows are still decrypted even though i ran superpatch67 and validated that the tivoapp was patched.

I'm glad you figured out the problem (older shows before patching remain encrypted). To decrypt the older shows, you'll need to use a de-cryption kernel and something like unscramble.o with a monte setup.

lrhorer
01-12-2006, 12:17 PM
I use DVDShrink 3.2.0.15 to burn to Nero.
DVDShrink keeps crashing with an exception on various inputs. Since it is unsupported...

More importantly, if you will re-read my post, you will see I did not use Recode on the DL media: there would be no point.

Nero 6's most recent is 6.6.0.18, I've mored on to 7.0.1.4b.
That would require a purchase. Since 6 is still supported, I see no point.

But before you do that...
Does the ty file play right?
Please read my post again.

Ohfugit
01-12-2006, 12:24 PM
jdiner,
what program /version are you using to burn the dvd ??
any specific settings aside from the default would be handy.

I would like to stay within tytool for the rest of the process.
(maybe later that chainplay thing would be nice) but for now getting a working DVD is my goal
Being that hardware was mentioned earlier in this threadI am using an athalon processor /1g memory if that makes a difference.

Thank you !!!!!

jdiner
01-12-2006, 01:46 PM
I was the one who originally asked the question. I think TyTool is fantasitc, and didn't mean to step on any toes. Just wondering if the error message is indicative of an error or missed step on my part...
My frustration is that I answered what that warning meant no more than a week and a half ago. I get tired of answering the same thing over and over when a simple search in the TyTool threads will turn up the answers.

That message comes because you have a chapter point on a non-closed GOP. But every GOP in a TIVO stream is NOT CLOSED. Further it is just a warning, not an error. By going back to an older version of DVDAuthor all that was accomplished was that the warning isn't printed anymore. The base engine still works in the same way.

--jdiner

FredThompson
01-12-2006, 01:48 PM
Josh,

Is it possible the backwards pointer (?) wrt audio holes capability was lost in your hard drive crash? I just got this error during key creation:

Need to add 1708721 empty audio packets!

jdiner
01-12-2006, 02:01 PM
what program /version are you using to burn the dvd ??
any specific settings aside from the default would be handy.
I recently upgraded my DVD Burner, right around Christmas when I put together this new dual core development machine. I used to use 5.5.10.56. I now use 7.0.0.0 as this version came with my AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ CPU as a freebie. It has worked just fine. The key with Nero and other burning tools is to NOT LET THEM ALTER THE DATA. In video DVD mode nero will try to analyze, alter, correct, etc... the data. The results are always crap because of the nature of the data streams. I use UDF 1.02 mode for greatest compatibility with the XBOX compliance turned on. I believe the last simply referes to a minimum on how much data to burn to the disk but I am not certain.

I would like to stay within tytool for the rest of the process.
(maybe later that chainplay thing would be nice) but for now getting a working DVD is my goal.
The "chain play" will be back in the next version. I had some pretty nice menu stuff before. I lost more than I can to state with the drive crash. Tests of alterations to things, the finished features in TyTool, shows I had downloaded but yet to archive. Was a really bad day for me.

On the menu stuff I had the following options in place:
1- No menu at all.
2- Auto-play first show.
3- Loading and saving of menus.
4- Auto-play from 1 show to the next.
5- Sub-menus.
6- PAL menus.
7- multiple menu pages.
8- Tons of new features around the menu elements on screen including:
i- Greying out the background BMP around the text, so that it would work on bright background images.
ii- Black shadow for text so that it would work on a brighter background.
iii- Buttons for menu page control (multi-page support).
iv- Intro vob to play before the menu "started".
9- Major keyboard shortcuts for all of the features on the menu dialog to speed up creation.
10- Colorized the menu elements.

... and so on. I had redone the whole system basically. My goal for the next release is to get the generation back to 100%. No more jerky play etc... To do that at this point I have to go back over with a fine tooth comb. That is going to take awhile. After that I want to go back to work on the menu creation stuff. I doubt I will get it back to where it was. it was a ton of work and mostly stuff I don't personally care about. But I will get as much in as I can stomache redo'ing at this point.

Being that hardware was mentioned earlier in this threadI am using an athalon processor /1g memory if that makes a difference.
Yeah. Just stick with a quality setting of 1 as there is no need on that CPU to shift down to 2.

--jdiner

wrasp
01-12-2006, 03:12 PM
I would guess that your hard drive is FAT32. It would have to be NTFS (or anything that supports file sizes that large). FAT32 only supports 2 GB max.

My filesystem is NTFS. The problem seems to be that Tytool is naming the file:

Name = '1721526/1721533'

Which appear to be the last FSIDs that make up the file.

Also, there is plenty of space on the drive. Here is the exact same file under Tytool 9r18:

Name = 'D:\TiVo\downloads\Boxing-O'Neil Bell vs. Jean-Marc Mormeck, Cruiserweights'
fsIDs = '1721356/1721359/1721362/1721366/1721371/1721373/1721375/1721377/1721380/1721384/1721401/1721408/1721410/1721412/1721414/1721419/1721427/1721434/1721440/1721449/1721472/1721473/1721475/1721479/1721480/1721495/1721496/1721498/1721516/1721517/1721518/1721525/1721526/1721533'
Connected...

at which point it downloads the file.

ADent
01-12-2006, 03:39 PM
There was a reported problem on 10r3 thread if there were more than 32 parts.

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?p=244613#post244613

It's not listed on the 10r4 fix list (though Josh doesn't always list everything)

jdiner
01-12-2006, 04:54 PM

Actually that problem has been there since the very beginning of TyTool. I made the buffer used to send a get request to the server to small. It was more than enough orginally but HD streams are a beast.

I will fix it soon enough. For right now there is no real work around other than to use the get parts call.

Just realized the new features in Get Parts got lost too. I will have to redo that feature as well.

--jdiner

jdiner
01-12-2006, 05:00 PM
Basically their transcoding option is slow, degrades the quality, and will eat you alive when it comes to creating problems in a stream. I am surprised it would try and warn you on a data disk. That is even worse than before.

Do not go into video DVD or any video compatibility mode. Do not let it re-encode anything at all. Made a UDF 1.02 disk. My father successfully used various versions of Nero with TyTool for the last year+. He likes to constantly upgrade. I do not but that is personal preference.

--jdiner

jdiner
01-12-2006, 05:03 PM
EDIT*** FIGURED OUT THE PROBLEM*****

Looks like it won't decrypt the old shows PRIOR to the upgrade, it works on the new shows just fine

Sorry for the post, but i figured this may help anyone else.
TyTool has never done decryption of any kind. That is infact what the FAQ/docs say over at TyTool.com (found in the help menu.... You went and read that stuff right?) They reference directly the defeating of scrambling before ever trying to use TyTool.

If you want things that were recorded scrambling you need some of the other tools that are found here on DealDB to unscramble them. There are no ways to do it. Way way back when there was nothing...

--jdiner

jdiner
01-12-2006, 05:05 PM
DVDShrink keeps crashing with an exception on various inputs. Since it is unsupported...
I have also used DVDShrink on TyTool produced IFO filesets. It has always worked 100% for me. I never seen it crash.

I have no idea what is going wrong but I would focus on the software you have first. Nero can be made to work. You made need to upgrade to a newer patch version or downgrade to a slightly older patch version but it does work.

--jdiner

jdiner
01-12-2006, 05:08 PM
Is it possible the backwards pointer (?) wrt audio holes capability was lost in your hard drive crash? I just got this error during key creation:

Yeah. Probably. I lost everything else so why not that one too. This whole thing is getting stinking depressing. Feels like nothing works right anymore...

--jdiner

mrdizzy
01-12-2006, 05:15 PM
I'd recommend downloading VLC and try playing the VOB files in the VIDEO_TS folder and see if everything is OK. It should be. I'd also recommend burning to RW media to test first. That way you're not wasting media :)

I use VLC too. I find the muxed vobs have wierd timestamps in VLC (ie a 22 min show appears as 9 minutes or so), but after processing through the DVDauthor stage they play "better". It can't always find the Title menu though but you can use the menu options to jump between titles to test everything in the DVD image.

QuadraQ
01-12-2006, 06:34 PM
Hi jdiner,

I love your program and use it a LOT (yes, a paypal contribution will be coming soon). I was hoping that in one of the new releases that you could add a feature that would REALLY make my life simpler. I know on startup TyTool displays the free space available on my PC's drive. That's useful, but I also need to know how much space is left on my TiVo (both drives). Often I don't know what kind of space is left on the TiVo and therefore how soon I need to pull the recordings and burn them to DVD.

With my busy life it would be a great way to take a quick look so I can see if I need to download some things now, or if I have some time left. Thanks!!

Thos19
01-12-2006, 11:42 PM
My frustration is that I answered what that warning meant no more than a week and a half ago. I get tired of answering the same thing over and over when a simple search in the TyTool threads will turn up the answers.

That message comes because you have a chapter point on a non-closed GOP. But every GOP in a TIVO stream is NOT CLOSED. Further it is just a warning, not an error. By going back to an older version of DVDAuthor all that was accomplished was that the warning isn't printed anymore. The base engine still works in the same way.

--jdiner

Unfortunately, I couldn't find it with my search. I do appreciate you answering my question anyways...:o

Thos.

BustedSony
01-12-2006, 11:43 PM

--FredThompson

Yeah. Probably. I lost everything else so why not that one too. This whole thing is getting stinking depressing. Feels like nothing works right anymore...

--jdiner

Oh Lord, please NO!!! :eek: That's the reason I waited months for this build of TyTool. I have seven critical Tystreams that display the "Infinite Holes" (as I call it) error. Now I'm dreading trying them.

Otherwise Josh, great job! ;)

FredThompson
01-13-2006, 01:15 AM
Oh Lord, please NO!!! :eek: That's the reason I waited months for this build of TyTool. I have seven critical Tystreams that display the "Infinite Holes" (as I call it) error. Now I'm dreading trying them.

Otherwise Josh, great job! ;)I've found a way to fix these holes. You dump the stream to punch cards then put masking tape over hole G12 if there are more than 6 of them punched in a row. Be sure to put the tape on both sides of the cards before you run the stacks through the reader or they get a little sticky.

As always, your mileage might vary. :p

cheer
01-13-2006, 01:58 AM
I've found a way to fix these holes. You dump the stream to punch cards then put masking tape over hole G12 if there are more than 6 of them punched in a row. Be sure to put the tape on both sides of the cards before you run the stacks through the reader or they get a little sticky.
Punch cards? What are you, 90? Can't this be made to work with paper tape?

FredThompson
01-13-2006, 03:41 AM
I suppose you can try paper tape if you're willing to risk a technology which is new and untested.

eastwind
01-13-2006, 04:00 AM
I know it's not the norm, but I actually used paper tape and 8" floppy disks before I ever had to punch a deck and submit it. Of course it was all on TTYs and everything was CAPITALIZED.

ew

FredThompson
01-13-2006, 04:09 AM
You youngsters had it so easy. Try threading your own core.

...and that damn Navy woman, always getting in the way...

BustedSony
01-13-2006, 08:00 AM

Brilliant computer scientist was she.. Thanks for the suggestions guys. Since I was top of the class in Fortran and Cobol in High School I'll start feeding the TyStreams to the TTY/Card punching machine in the basement.... I'll get the holes fixed... :cool:

cheer
01-13-2006, 08:33 AM

Oh don't be a Luddite.

Saw that Navy woman speak once. As BustedSony said, she really was brilliant, but I'm not sure I can wrap my brain around this newfangled C-10 code she's on about.

bfisher
01-13-2006, 11:42 AM

I tried using Nero 6 and had lousy results. I finally uninstalled it, and now use ImgTool and ImgBurn (both free). ImgTool converts the output files of TyTool into an ISO which ImgBurn then burns to a disk. Since switching, I've had very good results... These products work together so it's not even an extra step. Select the folders and it works...

Also, I use VLC (as mentioned elsewhere here in this thread) to check my files first - seems to work better than PowerDVD did for me.

FredThompson
01-13-2006, 12:14 PM
Nero 6 is pretty foolproof if you follow the instructions. Set the disc type to DVD-ROM(UDF/ISO) at the bottom of the list of DVD types and enable the XBox compatability setting before burning. If you have problems, odd are you didn't follow the directions or you've got a corrupt system.

FredThompson
01-13-2006, 12:26 PM
Oh don't be a Luddite.

Saw that Navy woman speak once. As BustedSony said, she really was brilliant, but I'm not sure I can wrap my brain around this newfangled C-10 code she's on about.Oh, puh-lease!!!

You just think she's cute.

She's a pain in the butt, like that brat who kept talking about setting up a private airline to do overnight deliveries. Sheesh! Like THAT would ever work...

ADent
01-13-2006, 03:46 PM
Hi jdiner,

I love your program and use it a LOT (yes, a paypal contribution will be coming soon). I was hoping that in one of the new releases that you could add a feature that would REALLY make my life simpler. I know on startup TyTool displays the free space available on my PC's drive. That's useful, but I also need to know how much space is left on my TiVo (both drives).

Your TiVo is FULL.

Starting with 2.x SW TiVo doesn't actually delete a show until the space is needed - it just marks deleted shows as deleted and removes them from the User Interface.

TiVoWebPlus I think shows free space (aka the space deleted shows take up). If you keep Suggestions turned on you can use them as a gauge of disk space available.

jdiner
01-13-2006, 06:01 PM
TiVoWebPlus I think shows free space (aka the space deleted shows take up). If you keep Suggestions turned on you can use them as a gauge of disk space available.
I looked at this kind of thing once before. But it had some issues. They same code and approaches didn't work on all tivos and various OS versions. It would work on my 3.X S1 box but didn't on my S2. Might have been solved by now but I haven't looked at it any further. I see no point in adding things to the tool that just don't work right anyway.

--jdiner

newlooper
01-13-2006, 08:48 PM
JD,

I have never sent you a segment but would be more than happy to. In R3 we talked about a segment that downloads fine but does not make a keyfile properly. It starts and then bails out without an error. If I mux it, it will convert to mpg without issue. Please let me know where to drop it and I will gladly send it. If there is something wrong with the segment I will just live with it, but if there is a chance, I would like to save it from those "other tools";) .

This is of course based on your recovery period from the "bug" you have.

Let me know if you are up to it.

-newlooper:D

johnny
01-13-2006, 09:46 PM
QuadraQ,

This is why I requested from JD that he summarize the TY file size within the GUI. Some quick mental math and one can get a feel for how much free space there is.

John :)

bigcat400
01-14-2006, 01:50 PM
After further investigation it appears I cannot retrieve a show with greater than 32 parts. "Get parts" doesn't provide anything in its part list after 32 fsIDs so I am unable to retrieve the full show even when using "get parts".
I am having this same issue (posted in the 10r3 thread), though I did not see a solution or work around.

Basically, this show has over 60 parts. TyTool's get does not work with it. Tried "Get Parts" and was able to retrieve the first 36 parts. Tytools shows an incomplete parts list.

I know the part numbers for the rest of the parts, is there a way to retrieve these missing parts w/ tytool, or any other tool?

I tried retrieving the ty with mfs_ftp but the extracted file has serious audio/video sync issues. I havent tried pulling in tmf format, would this retrieve a ty for each part? Though, I'd like to stick with tytool since I never have the a/v sync issues with it.

jdiner
01-14-2006, 02:51 PM
I am having this same issue (posted in the 10r3 thread), though I did not see a solution or work around.
That is because there isn't one. Right now it is a hard coded limit. Regardless of what you "want" to be the case your option is to wait until it gets fixed.

I am working on lots of things and I get to things as I can...

EDIT: Try to keep in mind that when things first got started with TyTool a standard 1 hour show on an S1 DTivo was 2 sometimes 3 FSIDs long. On an S1 SATivo it was 4-6 FSIDs in length. 30+ is well outside the expected size range for the process.

--jdiner

Jamie
01-14-2006, 03:15 PM
I know the part numbers for the rest of the parts, is there a way to retrieve these missing parts w/ tytool, or any other tool?I've never seen a show with that many parts, but as far as I can tell, mfs_uberexport has no limit on the number of parts. You should be able to retrieve ths show with mfs_uberexport running on the PC connecting to vserver on your tivo.

falcomadol
01-14-2006, 04:20 PM
o.k. I think I'm clear on this. Tystream and multiplex transfer at the same quality. The quality setting in the .ini file only affects the re-encoding at the cut points set in tytools (which would explain why I never saw a difference in quality, as i've been using videoredo for my editing and saving as .vob's). I'm going to try 10r4 tonight and see if my problem with tystream method diappears in the newest release. After that it's time to try using pgcedit to make the dvd's chain play. This is fun stuff!
Thanks again.
RobTystream transfers. Multiplex just rebuilds the blocks from the transferred stream into the DVD video stream format. When you schedule cuts in your input tystream, the ends are no longer "flush," so a very small amount of data needs to be generated that matches those ends up. That is the encoding that is being spoken of.

Process:

1. Transfer files (or blocks of a file) from Tivo to PC via a TYstream.

|OPTIONAL:
|2. Generate a keyfile to facilitate editing.
|3. Set edits by browsing the keyfile and writing out a cutfile that will be used when the TYstream is MUXed into a VOB or MPEG file.

4. Create a new file by reorganizing the TYstream contents to meet the DVD stream spec.
|4a. If necessary, re-encode selected bits related to the scheduled edits.

No encoding except in 4a.

lrhorer
01-14-2006, 04:55 PM
I've found a way to fix these holes. You dump the stream to punch cards then put masking tape over hole G12 if there are more than 6 of them punched in a row.
You're evil. Gawd, it would probably take several lifetimes and a few hundred tons of paper to write out a video stream on punch cards, let alone try to read them by eye. I've got an even bigger time waster, though. Decode the streams to raw PCM and put them on paper tape on a 110 Baud teletype.

'Back of the envelope, I calculate it would take about 450 years of continuous punching to write out an entire 2 hour SD movie. 'Better than 10 times that for a 1080i HD movie.

lrhorer
01-14-2006, 05:01 PM
I am working on lots of things and I get to things as I can...
Oh believe me, we know. You're a lot more responsive than any commercial software enterprise, that's for sure. What youhave done is extremely impressive. The rest of us just need to be patient. After all, you aren't getting paid to do this, and no one has the right to criticize your performance at what is patently a hobby for you.

lrhorer
01-14-2006, 05:12 PM
That is because there isn't one. Right now it is a hard coded limit. Regardless of what you "want" to be the case your option is to wait until it gets fixed.
I suspect this limit would never be exceeded except on HD TiVos. Most of us don't have HD TiVos, although I am sure those who do may be very frustrated by this limitation. Josh is obviously aware of it, and very likely will have a fix coming at some point in time. Even if he does not, however, we need to remember he is under no obligation to address this or any other issue unless it suits him and even then only when it suits him.

In the mean time, those with HD TiVos (damn you!) should be able to alleviate the issue somewhat going foreward by keeping your TiVos lightly loaded with content.

bigcat400
01-14-2006, 05:25 PM
Oh believe me, we know. You're a lot more responsive than any commercial software enterprise, that's for sure. What youhave done is extremely impressive. The rest of us just need to be patient. After all, you aren't getting paid to do this, and no one has the right to criticize your performance at what is patently a hobby for you.
I couldn't agree with this more. Couldn't thank jdiner enough for his work. I posted just to see whether people were working around the issue somehow.

I've never seen a show with that many parts, but as far as I can tell, mfs_uberexport has no limit on the number of parts. You should be able to retrieve ths show with mfs_uberexport running on the PC connecting to vserver on your tivo.
Thanks Jamie. Yes this is game 3 of the world series (14 innings). I tried mfs_uberexport (cool, did not know it could be used w/ vserver), though it did not appear to like the "-s" (offset) option anymore (has this been removed?), also not sure whether that offset would apply to the show's FSID (which is what I'd want) or within each part's FSID. Anyway I tried to use it and kept rejecting the "-s" option, it just prints the usage message. I guess I'll have to extract the whole thing.

Jamie
01-14-2006, 05:35 PM
... I tried mfs_uberexport (cool, did not know it could be used w/ vserver), though it did not appear to like the "-s" (offset) option anymore (has this been removed?), also not sure whether that offset would apply to the show's FSID (which is what I'd want) or within each part's FSID. Anyway I tried to use it and kept rejecting the "-s" option, it just prints the usage message. I guess I'll have to extract the whole thing.You can extract individual parts. Just leave off the -R switch and list the part FSIDs rather than the recording FSID to extract individual parts. I'm not sure what's up with the -s option; I'll have to have a look at that. In any case, I don't think -s was ever intended to be used with -R, just for individual ty part fsids, not whole recordings.

bigcat400
01-14-2006, 05:39 PM
You can extract individual parts. Just leave off the -R switch and list the part FSID rather than the recording FSID to extract one part. I'm not sure what's up with the -s option; I'll have to have a look at that. In any case, I don't think -s was ever intended to be used with -R, just for individual ty fsids.

Got it. That's cool. Thanks a lot :)

hepsnark
01-14-2006, 09:16 PM

--jdiner

heck no! When you have to get it done. Well :)

provide a link and I'll follow, ( checked posts-got answer-what i figured)

otherwise I get this tunnel vision that doesn't wonder why, it just wants immediate gratification.

billnbell
01-15-2006, 12:27 AM
In just installed Tytool 10r4, and when I click GET,
it just sits there.

I am sure I must have forgotten to install something. But I cannot figure it out.

Here is the tserver output:

DirecTiVo (/var/hack/mfs_bin)# ./tserver
Doing the Lowest PriorityFix...
Waiting for an incoming connection!
SERVER: We got a message! buf = 'SHOWING'
fsid=1072680 has no StreamFileSize attribute
fsid=1108430 has no StreamFileSize attribute
SERVER: We got a message! buf = 'TYSTREAM 1102487/1102490/1102505/1102514/110252
6/1102527'
-> '1102487'

Her e is the tytool output:

onnected...
Getting NowShowing data...
Total Size = 6749 bytes in 2.531000 seconds...

Name = 'C:\Alias-Remnants'
fsIDs = '1102487/1102490/1102505/1102514/1102526/1102527'
Tivo Address = 'tivo'
Connected...
cmd => 'TYSTREAM 1102487/1102490/1102505/1102514/1102526/1102527'

It just sits there.

kemac
01-15-2006, 11:24 AM
Actually that problem has been there since the very beginning of TyTool. I made the buffer used to send a get request to the server to small. It was more than enough orginally but HD streams are a beast.

I will fix it soon enough. For right now there is no real work around other than to use the get parts call.

Just realized the new features in Get Parts got lost too. I will have to redo that feature as well.

--jdiner

BTW -I was able to use mfs_ftp to transfer the entire ty file to my PC and then use tytool to successfully process the file from that point on. A viable workaround until a fix is released.

scarabus
01-15-2006, 05:27 PM
Is anyone else having trouble cutting to the very end? I want to delete everything after the show, but for some reason the timestamp at the very end of the file always seems to be wrong; it's typically something like 13:15:21.858 yet the show is only half an hour long.

As a result I'm having to cut at the penultimate GOP and get a little bit of random crap after the end of every show. What am I doing wrong?

mike0151
01-15-2006, 05:31 PM
The end of file has been flagged like that for as long as I can remember (way back to the 7r versions). It had NEVER caused me any problems.

HTH
Mike

hepsnark
01-15-2006, 06:48 PM
I agree with mike. The large number is probably something significant in base 2. Think of it 13:15:21.858 as "infinity plus 1" and you get the idea

scarabus
01-15-2006, 07:25 PM
I agree with mike. The large number is probably something significant in base 2. Think of it 13:15:21.858 as "infinity plus 1" and you get the idea
It looks like there was something funky with the final GOP on this one particular show, which caused the tool to quit. I'd assumed it was down to the funky value, but I've just processed a few others successfully..

scarabus
01-15-2006, 07:28 PM
I'm trying to make a menu with more than 12 entries - is that possible?
The tool accepts all 15 values but the preview only shows the first 12 regardless of what font size I use.

jdiner
01-15-2006, 08:46 PM
I'm trying to make a menu with more than 12 entries - is that possible?
The tool accepts all 15 values but the preview only shows the first 12 regardless of what font size I use.
Did you even bother to search or anything? You have enough posts to know that that is crucial. If you had you would have found that the timestamp you thought to be an error is infact purposefull and completes the process. It has been asked and answered at least a hundred times here on the forum. So I did the search you should have for the timestamp and jdiner, yes that's me the author of the TyTool suite, and it was in the 2nd post in that list:

The answer... (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?p=145563&highlight=13%3A15%3A21.858#post145563)

As for this this question the answer is right here in the FAQ:

The answer in the FAQ... (http://www.tytool.com/TyTemplates/FAQ/what/default.aspx#_-_Can_I_4)

--jdiner

vectorite
01-16-2006, 12:30 AM
I'm a bit of a newbe to TiVo hacking and I'd just like to thank all on this board. Spent probably 5 days researching and now HDVR2 fully hacked and downloading and burning DVD's working great... Many thanks to the author of tytool and many more

Andy

jdiner
01-16-2006, 01:25 AM
Alright. Look. scarabus and others. i am sorry if I come across as testy lately. Been since for almost a month not really getting any better yet. Makes me short tempered. But searching here on the forum and reading the FAQs on tytool.com are the key to success. Darn near everything that isn't brand new in the latest release has been asked and answered at least once.

Like the timestamp question. A simple search just on that string alone would have turned up a ton of posts on the question.

Please please please everyone new to the use of TyTool search first. Search again. Then ask. It gets tedious seeing a question here, especially one that smacks of having an attitude about it, that was answered just a few posts before the question or has been discussed at length.

So to recap:

Q- Why can't you have an end FAE cut on the last GOP?
Because doing so is pointless. You go GOP-FAE, FAE-FAE, FAE-FAE, FAE-GOP. You cut from the very first frame which gives you a timestamp of 00:00:00.00 which is before anything that can possibly show up in the actualy stream. Why? So you don't get any pieces no matter how fast they play or short they are that you do not want. The FAE cut that matches onto this one gives you the "perfect" start into the actual show you want to keep.

On the end you do the FAE-GOP. The last cut's starting-FAE-cut cuts right down to the last field in the GOP that you want to keep. So nothing will be at the end of the show that you do not want. The GOP cut at the very last GOP found in the key file gets a special timestamp as well. The 13:* is the largest timestamp legally allowable. So nothing can possibly be "later" than that. So you cut from the end of what you want through anything that possibly follows it.

--jdiner

BustedSony
01-16-2006, 03:31 AM
Alright. Look. scarabus and others. i am sorry if I come across as testy lately. Been since for almost a month not really getting any better yet. Makes me short tempered--jdiner

I have a chronic ear infection too and am fully aware how the resident pneumococcus bugs can now and again spread and make one generally susceptible to illness.

But searching here on the forum and reading the FAQs on tytool.com are the key to success. Darn near everything that isn't brand new in the latest release has been asked and answered at least once.

Please please please everyone new to the use of TyTool search first. Search again. Then ask. It gets tedious seeing a question here, especially one that smacks of having an attitude about it, that was answered just a few posts before the question or has been discussed at length--jdiner

But you know Josh what's unique about the 10R4 thread so far is that no one at all has reported a bug, (erm, in the software that is..:rolleyes: ) and I'm personally finding that 10r4 runs as smooth as silk,... other than that ruddy audio holes issue. As a special favour, COULD something please possibly maybe somehow be done about redoing the audio pointer fix, maybe PM prerelease code to FredThompson or myself? I really really need this problem solved. :D :cool:

Take care of yourself.....:) And Thanks.

splam
01-17-2006, 12:54 PM
I'm getting "bad dump" errors when I generate keyframes (or MUX directly) after extracting an show in HD and 5.1 audio on an HR10-250. The video is fine. Extracting anything in SD works fine.

The "bad dump" message appears to happen when the audio feed goes from 2.0 (during commercials) to 5.1 (in the show).

Any ideas? Thanks for a great product!

jdiner
01-17-2006, 01:26 PM
The "bad dump" message appears to happen when the audio feed goes from 2.0 (during commercials) to 5.1 (in the show).

Any ideas?
The bad dump is just a warning at this point. If it happened it would be at that point as it was to show when things were being searched for and not coming back as expected.

There is more to come on the HD side of things. But at the moment I haven't put anymore work into it. Been trying to catch up with the rest of life since I started to get a bit better. Amazing how many dirt dishes and what not can pile up when you live alone and are ill for almost a month.

--jdiner

splam
01-17-2006, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the quick reply!... I was going to try forcing audio transcoding this evening as I currently have it set to "none" and see if that helps with my main issue... VirtualDub-MPEG is only recognizing 2 channels of the audio stream even though it was a 5.1 program. May be a VirtualDub issue.

Looking forward to the HD support... currently I'm trying to convert the stream to 720x480 with virtualdub and use roxio to burn the dvd. I assumed that using the TyTool dvd utilities would give me a vob encoded at 1280x720x60fps which wouldn't play on most dvd players.

I upgraded to 10r4 last night and also noticed a pretty significant decrease in speed from 2.5M/sec to about 1.3M/sec... any ideas?

Thanks once again for a fantastic product.

Ohfugit
01-17-2006, 10:18 PM
Not finding this in the search or faq.

If I have a 30 minute program that has 3 parts, and I know the portion of video I want is in the last 5 minutes of the program, do I still need to get all 3 parts?
or can I just get the last part and use GOP to get the 5 minute portion I want.

Thank you.

eastwind
01-18-2006, 12:09 AM
Not finding this in the search or faq.

If I have a 30 minute program that has 3 parts, and I know the portion of video I want is in the last 5 minutes of the program, do I still need to get all 3 parts?
or can I just get the last part and use GOP to get the 5 minute portion I want.

Thank you.
You can do it. Have you tried?

ew

Ohfugit
01-18-2006, 01:05 AM
You can do it. Have you tried? ew

well I"ve tried and it seems to work, but I"m on unsure footing to say the least with getting DVD's that work with my set top player.. so just to make sure I'm not skipping some "start of file" marker that will bite me painfully later I figured I"d ask here.before I go doing this to a bunch of my programs then deleting them unrecoverably on my tivo.

So it does work without repercussions after ???

Thank you.

hayreass
01-19-2006, 03:53 PM
Well I'll be damned.
It's been a while since I visited, and when I come back, what do I find?
10r4

Thanks Josh.

Another fine product

newlooper
01-19-2006, 07:31 PM
Man, your moniker is so funny. Are you ever going to comb or braid that stuff?:D

hayreass
01-20-2006, 01:00 PM
Man, your moniker is so funny. Are you ever going to comb or braid that stuff?:DI've found that I'm not a huge fan of dingleberries (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dingleberry), so braiding is definitely out.

josejrp
01-22-2006, 12:28 AM
I always get the following error in TyTool when multiplexing various edited movies with GOPEditor from HBO-HD (the only extractions I've tried):

"15600.........15700.........15800.........15900.........16000
.........16100......ERROR: Out of memory getting a new MuxNode buffer!"

My edit was just a GOP start cut to FAE end cut in the beggining to trim the stuff before the movie.

If I don't edit the movies, the multiplexing via TyTool works correctly. I searched for this error, but only found a suggestion to trim the .ty file for a few frames using TyFileSplit before running it through GOPEditor, which I did with the same result. My PC has 1GB of RAM, and I've tried increasing the virtual memory to 2GBs to no avail. Any suggestions?

Kevin Clark
01-22-2006, 01:11 AM
does anyone how to fix an error that I am getting when I try to edit key files using TyTool 10.4 and cygwin.dll of the 1st page of this thread.

"ERROR Input file C:\file name.key is NOT GOP Editor Key File"

Gunnyman
01-22-2006, 01:08 PM
Tytool is Awesome!
My KINGDOM for an OS X/Linux port :D
It's the ONE thing I still use a PC for.

cheer
01-22-2006, 02:42 PM
Tytool is Awesome!
Can't help you with OS X, but I've actually run it under Linux using WINE. Ran pretty well, IIRC. Was the 9R18 flavor, but I expect it will still run fine w/10R4.

Gunnyman
01-22-2006, 02:57 PM
sadly the darwine project (wine on OSX) is totally in its infancy and can't even run windows apps yet :(.
The process to go from tivo---->dvd with menus and edits is such a pain in the butt compared to the simplicity of Tytool. I REALLY miss it.
Tivotool is GREAT for 1 show dvd's and I use it for ppv movies and such, but that's about all I use it for.

juskie
01-22-2006, 03:43 PM
I am having some problems with my WB shows here in Chicago. When I use the GOP editor, and make an FAE cut, the audio drops out in the next segment of the show. Also, there has been a couple times where I am making a key file and I get the following message/error:

Found an OOB packet... The Video Diff is: 13:15:21.758
sVid is: 00:00:00.086
largestVideoPTS is: 13:15:21.844
BBB the PTS was bad, but the new SEQ check lines up|!?
Found an OOB packet... The Audio Diff is: 00:00:00.128
sAud is: 13:15:21.190
largestAudioPTS is: 13:15:21.190
It is in sequence... Everything is fine...

Found an OOB packet... The Video Diff is: 13:15:21.792
sVid is: 00:00:00.019
largestVideoPTS is: 13:15:21.811
Found an OOB packet... The Audio Diff is: 00:00:00.128
sAud is: 13:15:21.318
largestAudioPTS is: 13:15:21.318

***** New TTG bug: It is a bad one 'out of place' so just dump it and continue.*****

***** New TTG bug: It is a bad one 'out of place' so just dump it and continue.*****

Found an OOB packet... The Audio Diff is: 13:15:21.731
sAud is: 00:00:00.067
largestAudioPTS is: 13:15:21.798
Is it in sequence??? It is OFF by exactly 1491304.093750 frames.
Nope... Not in sequence... Skipping it...

PTS Reset Detected... Correction in progress...

When I try to mux this file there is no audio at all. Any suggestions?

Goob The Noob
01-22-2006, 09:41 PM
I'm using TyTool 10r4 on my HR10-250. When I download files to my PC, it tends to cause problems with live tv on some channels. For example, live tv will pause for a second every 10 - 20 seconds when watching tonights football game while transfering a file. As soon as I abort the transfer, live tv is fine. Is this expected?

ADent
01-23-2006, 03:48 AM
Tytool is Awesome!

I think Josh was actually hinting at doing one at one time, but that was before he lost many months of work in a computer crash and his latest ill period.

TiVoTool is out there for Mac OS 10.4. Not too bad if you don't want to edit.

I find TyTool is not too bad under VNC hooked up via 100BT to my cheapy Windoze box kept around mainly for TiVoTool and MFSTool.

Gunnyman
01-23-2006, 08:52 AM
hmmm VNC I hadn't thought about that.
I'll look into that :)

jdiner
01-23-2006, 05:41 PM
sadly the darwine project (wine on OSX) is totally in its infancy and can't even run windows apps yet :(.
The process to go from tivo---->dvd with menus and edits is such a pain in the butt compared to the simplicity of Tytool. I REALLY miss it.
Tivotool is GREAT for 1 show dvd's and I use it for ppv movies and such, but that's about all I use it for.
I did one awhile back. But I had real trouble finding the appropriate information on GUI development. So the GUI never really got out of it's infancy.

--jdiner

Gunnyman
01-23-2006, 05:44 PM
Josh,
perhaps you and John (the Tivotool guy) should get together.
On a side note tivotool over VNC works flawlessly :)

jdiner
01-23-2006, 05:49 PM
I'm using TyTool 10r4 on my HR10-250. When I download files to my PC, it tends to cause problems with live tv on some channels. For example, live tv will pause for a second every 10 - 20 seconds when watching tonights football game while transfering a file. As soon as I abort the transfer, live tv is fine. Is this expected?
No not really. It runs at a lower priority in an attempt to prevent this very thing from happening. The HiDef is way more data, my guess would be that even though it uses the same drivers you are closer to the edge on performance. Writing "almost as much as you can" to the disk. Add the load of pulling data from it and you are going over the edge.

The Tivo is a decently underpowered device. My adivce make sure you are indeed running in the low priority mode. Then only download when not trying to record or doing anything else.

--jdiner

bsd228
01-23-2006, 08:22 PM
I've seen similar behavior doing a dump while the hdtivo was recording a HD program. Playing back the movie later, I'd see occasionally glitches that would last some number of seconds, I suspect in the 5-20 sec range. Might coincide with the beginning of grabbing a new file? While it's cruising along though, no affect on the recordings

Goob The Noob
01-24-2006, 10:47 AM
No not really. It runs at a lower priority in an attempt to prevent this very thing from happening. The HiDef is way more data, my guess would be that even though it uses the same drivers you are closer to the edge on performance. Writing "almost as much as you can" to the disk. Add the load of pulling data from it and you are going over the edge.

The Tivo is a decently underpowered device. My adivce make sure you are indeed running in the low priority mode. Then only download when not trying to record or doing anything else.

--jdiner

Thanks for the advice. How do I make sure that it is running in low priority mode?

jdiner
01-25-2006, 06:04 PM
You know I was just thinking about this "skipping" problem. The low priority was the "fix" when running the external TCL script. The new version of the server loads the "show" data in the c code. I wonder if it is going to fast/hard and is now causing the problem even if the server is run at the lower priority. I also wonder if the priority is still being set on the new boxes. It used to have an if that indicated the use of an S1 DTivo versus S1 SATivo. Could be worth revisiting on the new boxes to make sure. And possibly add a sleep etc to keep the load lower on the HDTivo boxes.

Jamie any comments on that part of your code? The NowShowing translation?

--jdiner

Jamie
01-25-2006, 06:56 PM
You know I was just thinking about this "skipping" problem. The low priority was the "fix" when running the external TCL script. The new version of the server loads the "show" data in the c code. I wonder if it is going to fast/hard and is now causing the problem even if the server is run at the lower priority. I also wonder if the priority is still being set on the new boxes. It used to have an if that indicated the use of an S1 DTivo versus S1 SATivo. Could be worth revisiting on the new boxes to make sure. And possibly add a sleep etc to keep the load lower on the HDTivo boxes.

Jamie any comments on that part of your code? The NowShowing translation?

--jdinerThe call to set the priority is still there. I've verified that it works on an S2, but I don't have an S1 to test with.

To verify the scheduling priority, find the tserver PID with ps or top, then run "getpri PID", where PID is the tserver PID. It should show "fifo 1". getpri is in AlphaWolf's all-in-one package, so many of you will already have it.

The tserver code sets the policy to "FIFO" and the priority to 1. This is lower than the realtime tivo processes, though it is still a realtime priority and is higher than normal timesharing processes (shells, etc).

The NowShowing list generation is fairly disk intensive and probably causes a lot of head seeking, since the data is scattered about in MFS. If the skipping only occurs when you're refreshing the show list, then I suppose that could be the cause. If the skipping occurs during stream transfers, then I don't think this is the issue.

The low level steam export code has a rate throttle option to sleep a small time interval between "chunks" to reduce the load on the tivo. tserver doesn't currently use it, but it would be easy to add a command line option to tserver to allow it to be set. Here's the description from the mfs_uberexport usage string:
-r <ms> Rate control (throttle)
-'ve : no delay (default)
0 : sched_yield() between chunks
+'ve : # of ms to delay between chunks
I could add the same command line option to tserver, if the extra control on the "throttle" would help. Right now tserver runs at full throttle with no rate limiting.

I'm wondering if the disk just doesn't have enough bandwith to support recording two HD live buffers, playing back, and streaming a HD stream to the network all at once. Somebody who can recall the typical HD stream bit rates can do the math and compare against typical disk specs.

wild123
01-27-2006, 03:29 PM
can someone please point me to a link that talks about missing 10 initial chunks? I've downloaded an episode (500mb) and tried to make a key and it says that's it can't because it's missing 10 initial chunks I've tried on 3 others with the same message. please advise. thanks

bigcat400
01-27-2006, 03:59 PM
are the shows encrypted?

can someone please point me to a link that talks about missing 10 initial chunks? I've downloaded an episode (500mb) and tried to make a key and it says that's it can't because it's missing 10 initial chunks I've tried on 3 others with the same message. please advise. thanks

Wolffpack
01-27-2006, 06:49 PM
I've been playing a bit with HD streams but keep running into the same problem mentioned before, "bad dump" messages and the video/audio is very choppy. Also GOPEditor only shows the show being edited without the controls/edits on the right side. I'm assuming this is the current status of TyTools HD stream capabilities. Is this correct?

Are there any other options available to convert a downloaded .ty file to MPEG or is my only option to capture from my HDTivo?

wild123
01-27-2006, 06:56 PM
yes they are encrypted because i didn't do anything to decrypt them. is this something I need to do? how?

thanks!!

mike0151
01-27-2006, 07:04 PM
try reading the tytool threads! I'm in the UK where we don't have that hassle but even I have read enough on here to know that. That's why I didn't answer because it has been asked and answered so many times

bigcat400
01-27-2006, 10:40 PM
I always get "bad dump" errors too, but I am usually able to produce the mpeg from the ty one way or another, including tytool. Have you tried hdemux?

I've been playing a bit with HD streams but keep running into the same problem mentioned before, "bad dump" messages and the video/audio is very choppy. Also GOPEditor only shows the show being edited without the controls/edits on the right side. I'm assuming this is the current status of TyTools HD stream capabilities. Is this correct?

Are there any other options available to convert a downloaded .ty file to MPEG or is my only option to capture from my HDTivo?

bigcat400
01-27-2006, 10:44 PM
Getting rid of encryption is about the first thing you need to do if you want to watch any extraction. I guess you need to search on how to do this for your specific tivo. I only know about the HDTivo. If this is what you have, you need to search for s2_unscramble if you want to decrypt already recorded shows. And look for the tivoapp hacks to prevent encryption on future recordings.

yes they are encrypted because i didn't do anything to decrypt them. is this something I need to do? how?

thanks!!

Wolffpack
01-28-2006, 01:10 PM
I always get "bad dump" errors too, but I am usually able to produce the mpeg from the ty one way or another, including tytool. Have you tried hdemux?
That was to be my next step. I've tried MUXing sections of a half dozen shows with TyTool. Some turn out better than others but all have some problems. I'll see what hdemux gives me.

EDIT: Scratch that. Turns out my biggest problem is the lack of horsepower my capture/editing PC has. It's just a 866 Mhz with 512MB. The playback of MPEG files is choppy simply because that PC can't keep up. I also fixed the GOPEditor by using Options-->Resize to 1/2. Guess I need to start thinking about an upgrade.

lrhorer
01-28-2006, 03:13 PM
like that brat who kept talking about setting up a private airline to do overnight deliveries. Sheesh! Like THAT would ever work...
What about that guy who's invented some new teleophone thingy? I don't think they'll ever get it to work.

bigcat400
01-28-2006, 06:50 PM
I would think you definetely need an upgrade :) You may need a video card with enough memory bandwidth to play HD stuff on your pc as well.

That was to be my next step. I've tried MUXing sections of a half dozen shows with TyTool. Some turn out better than others but all have some problems. I'll see what hdemux gives me.

EDIT: Scratch that. Turns out my biggest problem is the lack of horsepower my capture/editing PC has. It's just a 866 Mhz with 512MB. The playback of MPEG files is choppy simply because that PC can't keep up. I also fixed the GOPEditor by using Options-->Resize to 1/2. Guess I need to start thinking about an upgrade.

Wolffpack
01-28-2006, 08:46 PM
Goes to show the additional amount of resources SD versus HD requires.

But I still have not been able to create a DVD viewable on any of my players. I'm working on that. But yes, new editing hardware is required.

ddavidson
01-28-2006, 10:35 PM
Keep getting this error and does not make MPEG What am I doing wrong any suggestions
Failed to get the first 10 initial chunks

cheer
01-28-2006, 11:15 PM
Asked and answered, many many times. Please learn to search.

Your videos are encrypted.

tiivohoe
01-29-2006, 11:12 AM
Thanks so much for this great app....I downloaded several episodes of The Dog Whisperer and processed key files for them. The key file for one of them is short - about 4 meg from a 800 meg .ty file. It produced no errors and all the other key files are fine - about 39-40meg. I re-downloaded the file and tried again with the same results. Any idea what would cause this? Here is the .txt file. Using 10 rel 4 on Win XP Pro

Detected Tivo Type: HDTivo
Detected Audio Stream Type: MPEG Layer II
Final standardAudioSize = 592
Final standardFrameLength = 576
Final standardAudioDiff = 2160 or 00:00:00.024
First Video PTS: 00:02:56.811
......... 100......... 200......... 300......... 400......... 500

......... 600..

DiffTime = 5.108000 (5108) == 0.085133 Minutes

total = 81264640 (77 MB)

Done with 'C:\DTivo\The Dog Whisperer-Caper and Julius.ty'...

josejrp
01-29-2006, 12:56 PM
A few more notes on the error I got below... it happened using the old Muxing command... the New Format Mux does not fail with GOPEdited files, but the resulting mpeg has no audio (muxing files with Dolby 5.1 sound). The "Fill AC3 holes" checkbox had no effect.

I tried 9r18HD and the standard and the New Format muxes work as expected with edited files. I guess I'll stick with 9r18HD, but I am curious why 10r4 has these issues.

I always get the following error in TyTool when multiplexing various edited movies with GOPEditor from HBO-HD (the only extractions I've tried):

"15600.........15700.........15800.........15900.........16000
.........16100......ERROR: Out of memory getting a new MuxNode buffer!"

My edit was just a GOP start cut to FAE end cut in the beggining to trim the stuff before the movie.

If I don't edit the movies, the multiplexing via TyTool works correctly. I searched for this error, but only found a suggestion to trim the .ty file for a few frames using TyFileSplit before running it through GOPEditor, which I did with the same result. My PC has 1GB of RAM, and I've tried increasing the virtual memory to 2GBs to no avail. Any suggestions?

newlooper
01-30-2006, 09:38 AM
Thanks so much for this great app....I downloaded several episodes of The Dog Whisperer and processed key files for them. The key file for one of them is short - about 4 meg from a 800 meg .ty file. It produced no errors and all the other key files are fine - about 39-40meg. I re-downloaded the file and tried again with the same results. Any idea what would cause this? Here is the .txt file. Using 10 rel 4 on Win XP Pro

Detected Tivo Type: HDTivo
Detected Audio Stream Type: MPEG Layer II
Final standardAudioSize = 592
Final standardFrameLength = 576
Final standardAudioDiff = 2160 or 00:00:00.024
First Video PTS: 00:02:56.811

......... 600..

DiffTime = 5.108000 (5108) == 0.085133 Minutes

total = 81264640 (77 MB)

Done with 'C:\DTivo\The Dog Whisperer-Caper and Julius.ty'...

Tiivohoe,

got the same problem. not sure about it and woyuld like to send JD some snippets if he wants.:eek:

Goob The Noob
01-30-2006, 11:10 AM
The call to set the priority is still there. I've verified that it works on an S2, but I don't have an S1 to test with.

To verify the scheduling priority, find the tserver PID with ps or top, then run "getpri PID", where PID is the tserver PID. It should show "fifo 1". getpri is in AlphaWolf's all-in-one package, so many of you will already have it.

The tserver code sets the policy to "FIFO" and the priority to 1. This is lower than the realtime tivo processes, though it is still a realtime priority and is higher than normal timesharing processes (shells, etc).

The NowShowing list generation is fairly disk intensive and probably causes a lot of head seeking, since the data is scattered about in MFS. If the skipping only occurs when you're refreshing the show list, then I suppose that could be the cause. If the skipping occurs during stream transfers, then I don't think this is the issue.

The low level steam export code has a rate throttle option to sleep a small time interval between "chunks" to reduce the load on the tivo. tserver doesn't currently use it, but it would be easy to add a command line option to tserver to allow it to be set. Here's the description from the mfs_uberexport usage string:
-r <ms> Rate control (throttle)
-'ve : no delay (default)
0 : sched_yield() between chunks
+'ve : # of ms to delay between chunks
I could add the same command line option to tserver, if the extra control on the "throttle" would help. Right now tserver runs at full throttle with no rate limiting.

I'm wondering if the disk just doesn't have enough bandwith to support recording two HD live buffers, playing back, and streaming a HD stream to the network all at once. Somebody who can recall the typical HD stream bit rates can do the math and compare against typical disk specs.

The tserver priority check did return "fifo 1". This issue happens when I'm transferring a stream to my PC and watching live tv (no recordings other than the live channel for pause live tv) so it doesn't seem like the situation is very taxing. As soon as I shutdown tytools/tserver, the problem goes away.

laserfan
01-30-2006, 11:18 AM
...The playback of MPEG files is choppy simply because that PC can't keep up...Wolffpack what are you using to play-back your files? I could never get HD files to play-back smoothly on even my 3.0GHz P4 until I downloaded the Elecard codec pack and pointed it at Media Player Classic. This setup plays anything MPEG2 that I throw at it smoothly and with perfect lipsync (which is what I needed to find a solution for) including HD Transport streams (non-Tivo).

Jamie
01-30-2006, 01:11 PM
The tserver priority check did return "fifo 1". This issue happens when I'm transferring a stream to my PC and watching live tv (no recordings other than the live channel for pause live tv) so it doesn't seem like the situation is very taxing. As soon as I shutdown tytools/tserver, the problem goes away.I've attached a test build of tserver that includes the -r option to throttle the upload rate. There are a couple of things you can try: Try running tserver with the -n option. That turns off the "Lowest PriorityFix". The should cause the process to run at the normal timesharing priority (not realtime). You can verify this with getpri; it should show "ts 0". Counterintuitively, on a series2, the "Lowest PriorityFix" actually raises the priority to the lowest realtime priority. Time share priority levels are all below realtime. Try running tserver with "-r 50". This adds a 50 millisecond delay between "chunks" (128MB). That works out to ~ 1/2 second per MB, or 7 minutes per GB. Your transfers will be slower, but the impact on the tivo software should be less. If it solves your problem, but transfers are too slow for you, trying reducing 50 to a smaller value.Please report back whether this helps. If it does, I'll make sure it's in the next public release of mfs-utils.

Goob The Noob
01-30-2006, 04:43 PM
I've attached a test build of tserver that includes the -r option to throttle the upload rate. There are a couple of things you can try: Try running tserver with the -n option. That turns off the "Lowest PriorityFix". The should cause the process to run at the normal timesharing priority (not realtime). You can verify this with getpri; it should show "ts 0". Counterintuitively, on a series2, the "Lowest PriorityFix" actually raises the priority to the lowest realtime priority. Time share priority levels are all below realtime. Try running tserver with "-r 50". This adds a 50 millisecond delay between "chunks" (128MB). That works out to ~ 1/2 second per MB, or 7 minutes per GB. Your transfers will be slower, but the impact on the tivo software should be less. If it solves your problem, but transfers are too slow for you, trying reducing 50 to a smaller value.Please report back whether this helps. If it does, I'll make sure it's in the next public release of mfs-utils.

When I run this version of tserver, I get "Bus error". This is with and without the -n option.

Rowan
01-30-2006, 04:47 PM
When I run this version of tserver, I get "Bus error". This is with and without the -n option.
Make sure that you transfered the file in binary mode. This can be done by typing in "bin" at the ftp prompt.

Goob The Noob
01-30-2006, 05:19 PM
Make sure that you transfered the file in binary mode. This can be done by typing in "bin" at the ftp prompt.

I used WS_FTP and specified binary mode. I also tried the command line ftp and made sure I used binary mode. Same results : Bus error

Jamie
01-30-2006, 05:34 PM
When I run this version of tserver, I get "Bus error". This is with and without the -n option.Hum. It works for me on 7.2.1. I don't have a 3.1.5 system to test with.

I switched cross compilers to gcc 3.3.4 recently. It's possible there is compatibility issue with that compiler and the shared libraries in 3.1.5x. I've recompiled here with gcc 3.0, the x-compiler I've always used in the past. Let me know if it behaves better.

I sent you a PM. We can work through this privately rather than clutter the thread further. We'll summarize any final conclusions.

{edit: looks like it wasn't a problem with the compiler at all, but a problem in uncompressing the .bz2 file -- beware of ALZip. It seems to have the same "Smart CR/LF conversion" (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=202772&postcount=2) problem that WinZip has.}

jdiner
01-30-2006, 08:15 PM
But I still have not been able to create a DVD viewable on any of my players. I'm working on that. But yes, new editing hardware is required.
Without en mass re-encoding you are going to continue to have problems. An MPEG player, hardware or software and this includes DVD players, have buffers in them. Buffers for the video, for the audio, for the CC and so on.

The resolution of an HD stream are SO MUCH LARGER than that of an SD stream. Couple that with the fact that current DVD players are solely an SD device you have no real hope. This of it as a truck versus a Yugo car. Both move "people" but I wouldn't try to move my house in the Yugo. What can I say, size matters.

You are either going to have to re-encode the HD stream into an SD stream for DVD playback, get an HTPC that is beefy enough to handle it, get one of the new rather experimental HD ready DVD players, or ...

This TyTool thread is really the right place to ask such question. You should look at HD specific threads here and other sites for discussions of DVD players that can play back HD material from a DVD directly.

--jdiner

jdiner
01-30-2006, 08:20 PM
Thanks so much for this great app....
Your welcome. :)

I downloaded several episodes of The Dog Whisperer and processed key files for them. The key file for one of them is short - about 4 meg from a 800 meg .ty file. It produced no errors and all the other key files are fine - about 39-40meg.
Hummm. Thought I had fixed that. There was a check that seemed necessary for HD streams that wasn't in the end. So I had removed it. I will verify that it has been removed. If not it should work in 10r5.

--jdiner

tiivohoe
02-01-2006, 02:58 PM
The stream was off of an HD tivo but the stream was not in HD. If that matters??

rcole
02-03-2006, 02:33 AM
In a GOP, the first frame that I choose in a cut (say 83 of 85) is a "T" frame. After saving the cut file and then selecting "VOB/Mux (New Format) 1", I can see that that frame is in the output. I'm using 10r4 and the problem is repeatable starting with different .ty files.

eastwind
02-03-2006, 05:38 AM
In a GOP, the first frame that I choose in a cut (say 83 of 85) is a "T" frame. After saving the cut file and then selecting "VOB/Mux (New Format) 1", I can see that that frame is in the output. I'm using 10r4 and the problem is repeatable starting with different .ty files.
What is a "T" frame? I've never heard any reference like that, only I, P, and B.

ew

mrdizzy
02-03-2006, 11:03 AM
It is how the Frame Editor describes the two fields which combine to make up an Interlaced frame. Top and Bottom. The visible movement and the numbers which appear next to "T" or "B" also provide clues that they are half-frames. HTH

eastwind
02-03-2006, 12:16 PM
It is how the Frame Editor describes the two fields which combine to make up an Interlaced frame. Top and Bottom. The visible movement and the numbers which appear next to "T" or "B" also provide clues that they are half-frames. HTH
Right, okay. It's a top field of a frame. Haven't used FAE in a long time and I forgot that it indicates top and bottom fields.

ew

Goob The Noob
02-04-2006, 04:19 PM
I've been using TyTool 10r4 for a while now and have successfully transferred and multiplexed many shows. However, I have run into an issue with one movie. When I try to multiplex (convert ty to mpg), TyTool finishes before it has processed the entire file. The ty file is 7088 MB but multiplexing stops after 4176 MB which is just over an hour into the movie. No error, just says "Done with ....". Ideas?

eastwind
02-04-2006, 04:22 PM
I've been using TyTool 10r4 for a while now and have successfully transferred and multiplexed many shows. However, I have run into an issue with one movie. When I try to multiplex (convert ty to mpg), TyTool finishes before it has processed the entire file. The ty file is 7088 MB but multiplexing stops after 4176 MB which is just over an hour into the movie. No error, just says "Done with ....". Ideas?
Any chance you're using a filesystem that only allows 4GB files?

ew

Goob The Noob
02-04-2006, 05:51 PM
Any chance you're using a filesystem that only allows 4GB files?

ew

Nope, I'm using NTFS and have successfully transferred much larger files. As I've said, the ty file transferred fine, it's the multiplexing that quits early.

Zak0
02-04-2006, 07:41 PM
I'm still running 10r3, so maybe this is already fixed in 10r4... If so, just let me know and I'll upgrade. :)

I'm getting a lot of this during Multiplex:

AudDIFF: Need to add 0 empty audio packets!
Successfully filled in the Audio hole!

Only happens on maybe 1/4 of my extractions and doesn't seem to hurt anything - just seems weird that it needs to "add 0". :)

TyTool version 10r3. DSR6000 running 3.1.0. Windows XP.

-Zak

eastwind
02-04-2006, 08:03 PM
Nope, I'm using NTFS and have successfully transferred much larger files. As I've said, the ty file transferred fine, it's the multiplexing that quits early.
Pump up the message level in TyTool and see what you can see from that. Did you use a .cut file? If so, double check that you're not cutting out more than you meant to cut.
(I'm guessing that you're not out of space on the Output drive.....)
ew

Goob The Noob
02-04-2006, 08:38 PM
Pump up the message level in TyTool and see what you can see from that. Did you use a .cut file? If so, double check that you're not cutting out more than you meant to cut.
(I'm guessing that you're not out of space on the Output drive.....)
ew

I didn't make any cuts. I decided to just rerecord the show and try again, the second recording multiplexed fine.

Jeff D
02-05-2006, 03:32 AM
Sorry for the dumb question, but I've been gone for awhile (moved) and I can't remember what this file was....

There was some file, maybe the cygwin.dll that didn't work correctly on P4 machines, it worked fine on amd based processors. Is this still an issue? Or do I need to dig up my old files to use with these newer releases?

ADent
02-05-2006, 05:26 AM
Still there (AKAIK).

There is a setting the in the IFO builder page to set the quality at 1 or 2. 2 it needs to be on my Intel Celeron.

cheer
02-05-2006, 04:31 PM
Yep, set it to 2 on your P4. I didn't realize this for a long time (ahh, ignorance) and the FAE cuts look horrid when made with it set to 1 on my P4 laptop. They look fine when done on my AMD box, however.

2 does result in lesser-quality encoding at the cut point, but not so's you'd notice (or at least I don't notice it).

lrhorer
02-05-2006, 08:31 PM
Josh,

I noticed this once or twice before, but didn't bring it up, but tonight I created file sets using a number of sources which have the ampersand character in the name, but the menu creation tool shows it as an underscore. I have to replace the "&" in the name with "and". This is a slight pain, and what's more, titles with "&" in them tend to be somewhat long. In two cases, using "&" would have resulted in a single line menu title, but adding the two characters pushed it over the line limit, so these had to be displayed on two lines, not one. It's rather odd the IFO tool recognizes "`~@#$%^*()_-+=" but not "&". Is this something which could be easily fixed?

brucehappy
02-05-2006, 10:03 PM
In some windowing tookit's & can be used in a label to indicate a mnemonic. For instance, in Windows, the File menu typically has the F underlined to indicate you can hit Alt-F to show the menu. F is the mnemonic, and some APIs have you make the label of that menu "F&ile" to indicate F should be underlined. Perhaps whatever windows API josh is using its performing this function. Theres probably an escape sequence that could be used to prevent the underlining, like perhaps another &.

asicguyca
02-06-2006, 12:03 AM
Use && and you will get a single & in the menu

lrhorer
02-06-2006, 02:21 AM
Use && and you will get a single & in the menu
It works! Thanks.

Goob The Noob
02-06-2006, 01:04 PM
I have another ty file that fails to multiplex completely. This one is a 7307 MB ty file that TyTool only processes the first 586 MB then quits thinking it's done. I have the txt file with verbose output maxed but the Manage Attachements on this forum never returns from "Uploading Attachments...please wait". Here's the last part of the file:

checkNumRecs: Number of Records: 3 ( 3 0 ff ff)

last 4 = e 0 3 80 -- first 4 = 3 0 ff ff

ParseChunk: Number of Records: 3 ( 3 0 ff ff)
ParseChunk: # 0 32 ( 4): 0 0 4f 20 2a ad 56 84 0 0 0 7f c6 98 92 20
ParseChunk: # 1 vid ( 45504): b 1c 2 e0 2b 30 d6 c4 0 0 0 7f c6 98 92 20
ParseChunk: # 2 0 ( 0): 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 7f c6 98 92 20
sVid = -1 13:15:21.858
eVid = -1 13:15:21.858
sAud = -1 13:15:21.858
eAud = -1 13:15:21.858
Vid ByteCount = 30 D6 C4
Aud ByteCount = 0 0 0

checkNumRecs: Number of Records: 18 (12 0 ff ff)

last 4 = 3 0 ff ff -- first 4 = 12 0 ff ff

ParseChunk: Number of Records: 18 (12 0 ff ff)
ParseChunk: # 0 32 ( 4): 0 0 4f 20 2a ad 56 88 0 0 0 7f c6 98 92 20
ParseChunk: # 1 1 ( 557184): 88 8 e 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 7f c6 98 92 20
ParseChunk: # 2 2 ( 561000): 88 f6 8e 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 7f c6 98 92 20
ParseChunk: # 3 2 ( 558338): 88 50 2e 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 7f c6 98 92 20
ParseChunk: # 4 aud ( 1552): 0 61 9 c0 2a e2 84 60 0 0 0 7f c6 98 92 20
Aud PTS: (72285892) 00:13:23.176
ParseChunk: # 5 vid ( 45560): b 1f 8b e0 2b 31 88 84 0 0 0 7f c6 98 92 20
Vid PTS: (72350598) 00:13:23.895
ParseChunk: # 6 32 ( 4): 0 0 4f 20 2a ad 56 8c 0 0 0 7f c6 98 92 20
ParseChunk: # 7 1 ( 557184): 88 8 e 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 7f c6 98 92 20
ParseChunk: # 8 1 ( 557184): 88 8 e 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 7f c6 98 92 20
ParseChunk: # 9 1 ( 557184): 88 8 e 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 7f c6 98 92 20
ParseChunk: # 10 2 ( 532512): 82 2 e 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 7f c6 98 92 20
ParseChunk: # 11 2 ( 560938): 88 f2 ae 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 7f c6 98 92 20
ParseChunk: # 12 aud ( 1552): 0 61 9 c0 2a e2 8a 70 0 0 0 7f c6 98 92 20
Aud PTS: (72288772) 00:13:23.208
ParseChunk: # 13 aud ( 1552): 0 61 9 c0 2a e2 90 80 0 0 0 7f c6 98 92 20
Aud PTS: (72291652) 00:13:23.240
ParseChunk: # 14 aud ( 1552): 0 61 9 c0 2a e2 96 90 0 0 0 7f c6 98 92 20
Aud PTS: (72294532) 00:13:23.272
ParseChunk: # 15 aud ( 1552): 0 61 9 c0 2a e2 9c a0 0 0 0 7f c6 98 92 20
Aud PTS: (72297412) 00:13:23.304
ParseChunk: # 16 vid ( 52752): c e1 b e0 2b 32 3a 7c 0 0 0 7f c6 98 92 20
Vid PTS: (72353601) 00:13:23.928
ParseChunk: # 17 vid ( 24700): 6 7 ca e0 2b 33 8 8c 0 0 0 7f c6 98 92 20
Vid PTS: (72368616) 00:13:24.095

DiffTime = 32.203002 (32203) == 0.536717 Minutes

total = 595984384 (568 MB)

Done with 'D:\Extract\I, Robot-.ty'...

PBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBIBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBIBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBP BBIBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBIBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBIBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBIBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPB BPBBPBBPBBIBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBIBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBIBBPBBPBBPBB PBBPBBPBBPBBIBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBIBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBIBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBIBBP BBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBIBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBBPBB

llowrey
02-07-2006, 06:13 PM
I'm having trouble extracting from both my R10 and my RCA DVR40.

From TyTool10r4...

Name = 'C:\temp\tytool\Night Court-Married Alive'
fsIDs = '648938/648943'
Tivo Address = 'tivo'
Connected...
ERROR: We failed to create the data socket...

And from tserver...

SERVER: We got a message! buf = ''
Bogus command... ''

I used the tserver from the 10r4 zip file.

I did search... but came up empty. What am I doing wrong?

cheer
02-07-2006, 06:56 PM
Have you tried running in single socket mode? It could be that your PC has Windows firewall or some other firewall blocking the inbound data connection.

llowrey
02-07-2006, 07:49 PM
Have you tried running in single socket mode? It could be that your PC has Windows firewall or some other firewall blocking the inbound data connection.

Single socket mode did the trick. I do not have a firewall running on my windoze box and have verified that the stock XP SP2 firewall is disabled. I have also checked iptables on the R10 and DVR40 and both show no entries. So, there appears to be no blocking going on.

cheer
02-07-2006, 08:59 PM
If single socket mode worked, then absolutely something is blocking.

Do you have some kind of VPN client installed for work? My company's VPN client silently installs a basic firewall. Also, Norton Antivirus installs some portblocking stuff.

I promise you, something is blocking ports on your PC.

gaw
02-08-2006, 08:19 PM
Especially Norton - new computer with new Norton version - their firewall conflicts with Windows firewall bigtime - constant problems with networking until I turned it (the Norton firewall) off.

Also, had some problems with 10r3 - but 10r4 works great - no issues.

clandress
02-08-2006, 09:35 PM
I've been using TYTool10R14 for a week or so. What a great tool! JDINER, I am in awe of the work you've done with this. Thanks for all the work you did on this.

OrionsHunter
02-09-2006, 07:24 PM
I have an HR10-250 fully hacked. I just upgraded to TyTool 10r4. When extracting .ty streams, the time remaining changes from positive to negative shortly after starting the extraction. After completing, the .ty stream will not play and converting .mpg reports errors in TyTool. It doesn't always happen, but more often than not it does.

Has anyone experienced this same issue?

The Only Druid
02-10-2006, 02:59 PM
I have an HR10-250 fully hacked. I just upgraded to TyTool 10r4. When extracting .ty streams, the time remaining changes from positive to negative shortly after starting the extraction. After completing, the .ty stream will not play and converting .mpg reports errors in TyTool. It doesn't always happen, but more often than not it does.

Has anyone experienced this same issue?

Are you extracting a show that's currently recording?

OrionsHunter
02-10-2006, 06:29 PM
No. They are prerecorded. I NEVER extract live shows. I believe the problem was from Norton Antivirus. I deinstalled it and it hasn't happened again. Norton was detecting the problematic streams as "worms" and was blocking them. I'm not sure why.

lrhorer
02-11-2006, 02:44 AM
If single socket mode worked, then absolutely something is blocking.

Do you have some kind of VPN client installed for work? My company's VPN client silently installs a basic firewall. Also, Norton Antivirus installs some portblocking stuff.

I promise you, something is blocking ports on your PC.

Well actually, there is at least one other possibility. I ran across this when I first installed TyTool, 'way back when. If there is more than 1 IP address provisioned on his computer and he selects the wrong one for the TiVo target, Double Socket mode won't work because the TiVo is trying to open a socket on a host with which it is unable to communicate. Even if the IP is on the same physical interface as the TiVo, the TiVo won't be able to communicate unless the network is routed by something avaiable to both the PC and the TiVo (highly unlikely). In my case it was a virtual interface, but it could be a secondary adapter such as a 1394 network, PPP on a T-1, an active dial-up session, etc.

WinBear
02-11-2006, 04:13 AM
Is "Split Multiplex" not working? I recorded a couple of music video programs, extracted, made cut files and selected "Split Multiplex" and the first video completed, but TyTool10r4 crashes almost immediately after starting the 2nd file with either recording.

Pro-289
02-12-2006, 04:39 AM
Hey Jdiner. Glad to see you're still around kicking out new versions. Needed to pop in and get the latest build. Keep up the good work.

artships
02-13-2006, 02:32 AM
Is "Split Multiplex" not working? I recorded a couple of music video programs, extracted, made cut files and selected "Split Multiplex" and the first video completed, but TyTool10r4 crashes almost immediately after starting the 2nd file with either recording.
As a work-around... you can always VOB-mux the cut files, then feed the resulting VOB to DVD2AVI - Choose "Save project...". It will create a WAV file. Very quickly, too.

WinBear
02-13-2006, 08:22 AM
As a work-around... you can always VOB-mux the cut files, then feed the resulting VOB to DVD2AVI - Choose "Save project...". It will create a WAV file. Very quickly, too.

Actually, I found TyTool9r18 worked for all but one troublesome file.

GR00316
02-13-2006, 05:03 PM
I want to create the Audio_TS folder and the Video_TS folder with the DVD files but I don't want a menu created. All the programs I have found out there to take a vob file and do this seem to give me an error message. Is there a way to do it with TyTools.

I guess using DVDAuthor might work but I don't really understand how to use the source code and get that running. Any other suggestions.

artships
02-13-2006, 06:18 PM
I want to create the Audio_TS folder and the Video_TS folder with the DVD files but I don't want a menu created. All the programs I have found out there to take a vob file and do this seem to give me an error message. Is there a way to do it with TyTools.

Sorta. Get a DVD player that will play just a raw mpg all by itself on a disk and use TyTool to create the mpg. Or, go ahead and make a menu, but edit the make.bat file afterwards to immediately play the video and run the bat file again. See http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?p=158586&highlight=skip+menu#post158586
Note: you'll have to delete the contents of the VIDEO_TS directory before re-running make.bat.

bfrank4709
02-14-2006, 01:43 AM
Is anyone able to watch and hear HD content directly from a .ty file that was extracted using tytool 10? I am using tyshow .14 and my hd content won't play any audio.

cheer
02-14-2006, 01:50 AM
Do you have an AC3 codec installed? Most HD streams have AC3 audio.

jdiner
02-15-2006, 03:23 AM
Well boys and girls I could really use some help and the collective wisdom found in this group right about now.

It turns out I have been burning nothing but coasters for awhile. I thought it was the most recent set of changes I had made to TyTool. But when I rolled all the way back to TyTool9r17 it was still there.

So I made and image and burned it with the old slow drive in another machine and it plays perfectly. I then burned that same image on my main machine and sure enough it fails nicely.

I got a few nice 4x DVD-RW disks to save cost on all of this testing and 20+ burn tests later nothing I burn in the new drive with Nero will work. I tried 5.5.10.56 which is what I run on the slower drive but it doesn't recognize the newer/faster drive. Now I originally had 7.0.0.0 installed as it came with the new CPU/MOBO/Drive I purchased a few months ago. So I tried upgrading to the latest 7.0.5.4 same behaviour, so I tried 6.6.0.1, same behaviour, so anyway I tried a few other versions and they all do the same thing.

The disk will play in my apex 600a and my Mintek 1600, these will play darn near anything, but all fo the other players in my testbed do not recognize it as a disk. My JVC gets so freaked out it leave the disk spinning on the tray once I hit the eject button. Never ever seen that one before... :)

I am beginning to come to the conclusion that it might be the drive itself. While I have had great luck with pioneer drives to this point things right now aren't really looking good.

So I am looking for a recommendations on working software that people are using. Be it new versions of Nero that actually work, or other tools lay it on me. I am willing to try anything at this point because as it stands right now I can burn nothing. I have quite a backlog and that's fun...

BTW, last thing I tried was ImgBurn but that one wants it to already be an image and since those aren't being produced I could go no further...

Seriously, any ideas? suggestions?

Baring that what burners are you guys using and having success with? I may just need to buy a new one... :(

--jdiner

FredThompson
02-15-2006, 03:34 AM
You describe a drive with a worn out laser.

If you really want to put more time into this, get KProbe at http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=93944 and use a Lite-On drive to test your burns.

FWIW, I really like the NEC drives. They cost a little less and the firmwares from http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/page/ are fantastic.

--

Hey, who told you you're allowed to burn discs. You're only supposed to write TyTool updates to support OUR hobbies!!! :P

jdiner
02-15-2006, 03:48 AM
You describe a drive with a worn out laser.
Yeah. Right up to the part where it is a brand new drive, less than 4 months old, that has burn about 45 total disks.

I just don't get it. But then hardware was never really... my thing. :)

--jdiner

mesaka
02-15-2006, 10:24 AM
I'm using Nero 6.6.0.18 and the latest version of tytool without any problem. I have to say it sounds like a hardware issue rather than a software one. Is the burner under warranty?

cheer
02-15-2006, 10:35 AM
Could just be a crappy drive to begin with...I've seen it happen.

For what it's worth, I've been using Nero 6.3.1.20 on just about every drive in the house for some time without issue, but I've had success with just about every Nero 6.x version of software I've tried.

But I agree with Fred...this is a drive problem. Newegg has the NEC drives for less than $40. :)

jdiner
02-15-2006, 12:04 PM
I'm using Nero 6.6.0.18 and the latest version of tytool without any problem. I have to say it sounds like a hardware issue rather than a software one. Is the burner under warranty?
Yeah. It is still under warantee. I got it fron NewEgg IIRC.

I think I will just order a new one of the NECs that you guys all seem to like and then see what I can do about getting this one fixed or replaced. Such a shame. Before this I would have, and have on many occasions, recommend Pioneer drives whole heartedly. After this I am just not sure I can.

I have used the verify write option on almost ever disk. Only to find out just a few days ago that what I was making have all been bad...

--jdiner

jdiner
02-15-2006, 12:10 PM
But I agree with Fred...this is a drive problem. Newegg has the NEC drives for less than $40. :)
So which one would you recommend? They have the ND-3550A for $42 with free shipping, which is I suppose a decent price. Or the same drive for $38.99 with $5 in shipping... (That one threw me at first... :)

Anyway, I suppose since that is the only NEC drive newegg carries is it the one you guys are recommending.

Thanks for the help...
--jdiner

chrisb42
02-15-2006, 01:09 PM
Also, make sure you don't have anything on your system that might impede burning of CDs/DVDs. There are a few things out there right now that have some severe side effects, like the infamous SonyBMG CD copy protection (http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/2005/10/sony-rootkits-and-digital-rights.html) or that new Korean DVD copy protection mechanism called "Alpha", first found on German DVDs (http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/69361).

So hopefully it's a non-working drive :). Good luck, and thanks for your hard work from my side as well!

-Christian

superleo
02-15-2006, 02:18 PM
Hey Josh,

Do you have another dvd burner or CD burner besides the pioneer?

EDIT:

that is on the same machine, if you do you might try using only one, see if that helps

jdiner
02-15-2006, 02:24 PM
Do you have another dvd burner or CD burner besides the pioneer?
Sort of... I have 2 pioneers. A 108d (8x burner) that I have had for 18 months or so, and this new 109d 16x burner that I have had now for 6 months.

So while I have a second drive it is the pretty much the same as the first. I gave my older pioneer away (4x burner) and had a really old 1x from about 4 years ago that I threw away. :)

--jdiner

SpoonsJTD
02-15-2006, 03:04 PM
Sort of... I have 2 pioneers. A 108d (8x burner) that I have had for 18 months or so, and this new 109d 16x burner that I have had now for 6 months.

So while I have a second drive it is the pretty much the same as the first. I gave my older pioneer away (4x burner) and had a really old 1x from about 4 years ago that I threw away. :)

--jdiner

I have my 1x Pioneer in my linux box. It pains me to think back to how much I paid for that one compared to what you can get a 16X for today.

superleo
02-15-2006, 03:54 PM

--jdiner

Just for the sake of it, try this:

dbl click on my computer, on the drive that is giving you porblems go to properites, go to the recording tab and make sure that the checkmark for recording CD it checked.

Test burning ... see if that changes anything

jdiner
02-15-2006, 04:36 PM
that is on the same machine, if you do you might try using only one, see if that helps
Oh no. Just 1 burner in the machine having problems and 1 DVD-Rom drive.

--jdiner

jdiner
02-15-2006, 05:32 PM
dbl click on my computer, on the drive that is giving you porblems go to properites, go to the recording tab and make sure that the checkmark for recording CD it checked.
No change. I have come to the conclusion it is a bad drive. I am going to warantee it and have ordered an NEC 3550a from NewEgg. Hopefully it will arrive soon. As least I can quite worrying about what has gone wrong at this point. :)

--jdiner

cheer
02-15-2006, 06:14 PM
So which one would you recommend? They have the ND-3550A for $42 with free shipping, which is I suppose a decent price. Or the same drive for $38.99 with $5 in shipping... (That one threw me at first... :)

Anyway, I suppose since that is the only NEC drive newegg carries is it the one you guys are recommending.
That's the one; the 3550A. I don't see the free shipping one on newegg right now, but it could simply be the difference between retail/OEM or faceplate color or somesuch...

Shaun
02-15-2006, 08:40 PM
Okay, here's the easiest workaround...
Use TyTool to create a dvd with a basic menu. Then open the file set with DVDShrink and select Re-Author. Select only the main movie and save to a new fileset or iso and burn your dvd.

BTW, I don't take credit for this idea. This question came up in another thread a while back.:D

jdiner
02-15-2006, 10:22 PM
That's the one; the 3550A. I don't see the free shipping one on newegg right now, but it could simply be the difference between retail/OEM or faceplate color or somesuch...
It disappeared between the time I first searched the site and when I read enough reviews to place the order. So I started watching the "4 pages of deals" just out of curiosity. I could see someone moving through the database altering prices and removing free shipping etc... I.e. 1 item after another changed. Kind of interesting.

I got it anyway because I need the replacement but it was just kind of sad that my timing was just that tiny bit off.

--jdiner

The Flush
02-15-2006, 11:12 PM
I am new to extraction/hacking and first want to say thanks to jdiner for creating such a great, easy to use tool. It took almost no time at all to extract, cut the commericals from, and burn the first few TV shows that I wanted to archive. I've read through the FAQ, all the release notes, many of TyTool threads, and searched the forum, but have not found exactly what I am looking for yet. My question is about splitting a large file in to mutiple smaller files. Specifically the season finale of Arrested Development, which was recorded by my DTivo as one 2-hour episode, but is really 4 separate 30 minutes shows. I want to have one file for each of the episodes instead of one file containing all 4 episodes (which I've already made).

I could use TyFileSplit to break it up, but it seems like there ought to be a better way. Correct me if I am wrong, but it looks like TyFileSplit can really only make one cut, making it easy to cut the last episode from the rest, or the last 2 episodes from the first 2, but not too easy to cut just the 3rd episode from the 1st, 2nd, and 4th episodes. I admit I have not played with it much yet.

Is is easier to get the orginal Ty file and then make and rename 4 copies, and then just treat it like any other file, cutting the unwanted episodes and commericals? Or do I only need to make additional key files from one original ty file?

What's the best way to do this? I would appreciate a nudge in the right direction or some help with the right search parameters.

Thanks,

Jim

cheer
02-16-2006, 01:37 AM
Here's what I do:

Get a single .ty file and generate key file
Edit in TyTool, trimming everything but the first episode
Save cut file
Mux to MPG
Rename MPG file (I don't know if TyTool is smart enough to not overwrite and never bothered to find out)
Delete .CUT file
GOTO 2 (substituting "second," "third," and "fourth" for "first")

So you only need one .ty file to do the whole thing. There may be an easier way but this works for me.

BustedSony
02-16-2006, 04:13 AM
Here's what I do:

Get a single .ty file and generate key file
Edit in TyTool, trimming everything but the first episode
Save cut file
Mux to MPG
Rename MPG file (I don't know if TyTool is smart enough to not overwrite and never bothered to find out)
Delete .CUT file
GOTO 2 (substituting "second," "third," and "fourth" for "first")

So you only need one .ty file to do the whole thing. There may be an easier way but this works for me.

This is what I also do, but two things,
(1)TyTool DOES rename the resulting Vob or Mpeg adding a "_1" or "_2" etc before the .mpg, so there's no danger of overwriting. You can save the renaming until you check all the edited mpgs/vobs;
(2) On the other hand the .cut file IS overwritten, so you don't have to delete it before the new edit.

-- So don't rename, and don't delete, just edit and mux each time and generate a pile of mpegs, then deal with them later. Note to do the new edit you can double-click on the time of the last line in the edit list to go to that point, then continue on after deleting the list.

I have long requested "Nested Editing" as FredThompson will tell you, so that "cuts" will remove commercials, and "Splits" (as an additional button in the GOP editor) will "split" each segment. I frequently have to deal with 10 Gig+ tysteams with multiple feature films and shorts, and it takes a long time to have to scan through the whole file each time up to the point where the film starts muxing. It would be nice for just one pass to do it all.

FredThompson
02-16-2006, 04:58 AM
It disappeared between the time I first searched the site and when I read enough reviews to place the order. So I started watching the "4 pages of deals" just out of curiosity. I could see someone moving through the database altering prices and removing free shipping etc... I.e. 1 item after another changed. Kind of interesting.
Is that like hanging out in the produce section in anticipation of when it "rains"? :p

FredThompson
02-16-2006, 04:59 AM
I frequently have to deal with 10 Gig+ tysteams with multiple feature films and shorts, and it takes a long time to have to scan through the whole file each time up to the point where the film starts muxing. It would be nice for just one pass to do it all.um...ah...harumph!!

Doesn't one of the MPEG (as opposed to VOB) muxing routines do just this? It saves each section as an individual file.

I did that for a while then realized I liked a single file and the default 5-minute chapters. I mean, it's not like I'm a crazed collector hiding out in the polar regions aggonizing over every little detail.

BustedSony
02-16-2006, 07:21 AM
Doesn't one of the MPEG (as opposed to VOB) muxing routines do just this? It saves each section as an individual file.

Yes, but it splits only, so that the result is a collection of individual bits of everything, the wanted films as well as the unwanted promos, and you can't join anything within the splits. Also it uses the "old" muxing routine, not the preferred "new" vob/mux. If you JUST initially cut, and leave the result as one big vob, when you split THAT into individual films the sound sync goes off, also again it uses the old routine to remux.

bfisher
02-16-2006, 09:20 AM
BTW, last thing I tried was ImgBurn but that one wants it to already be an image and since those aren't being produced I could go no further...
--jdiner

Sounds like you've found the problem, but for completeness, to use ImgBurn, you need to make the ISO image first. You can use ImgTool Classic to do that... http://www.coujo.de/ib2/index.php?act=module&module=include&incl_name=download

jdiner
02-16-2006, 01:47 PM
Yeah. I found and read up on ImgTool. The problem I had was that it added another major step to the process. Another 4+ gig of disk space was needed for the image output. It just wasnt worth it to me... Not then as a testbed and to be honest not now as a part of the TyTool process...

But thanks for the info.

--jdiner

jdiner
02-16-2006, 05:47 PM
I want to have one file for each of the episodes instead of one file containing all 4 episodes (which I've already made).
TyFileSplit was for making a new section that had a problem to send to me way way way back when. It does not really suit the purposes you have.

There is really no automated way to do what you want. When I have had to do that, all 3 or 4 times, I have make a key file and cut file for the first show. I then VOB mux it out. At which point I made a new cut file for the second show (I have never had more than 2 in my own stuff) and then vob-mux'ed it out.

You can save the cut file to different names but have to put it back to the proper name for the system to find it. The system will automatically provide the -1, -2, -3 etc.. for the repeating VOB names but the cut files really don't work like that.

--jdiner

jdiner
02-16-2006, 05:48 PM
I have long requested "Nested Editing" as FredThompson will tell you, so that "cuts" will remove commercials, and "Splits" (as an additional button in the GOP editor) will "split" each segment. I frequently have to deal with 10 Gig+ tysteams with multiple feature films and shorts, and it takes a long time to have to scan through the whole file each time up to the point where the film starts muxing. It would be nice for just one pass to do it all.
It was in before the dark ages began. I will put it back into TyTool in one of the next few releases. Come to think of it all fo the work on the SplitMuxer got lost as well. It will be back sometime soon.

--jdiner

jdiner
02-16-2006, 05:53 PM
Now to make matters worse I tried one more burn. I used Roxio Creator 8 in the data mode, wouldn't let me set anything really, no UDF 1.02 nothing, but the burned disk worked in the various players. Ack! Pfffttt. I have no idea what the difference is as they are burning tools from different companies... So all I can really say at this point is that getting a new drive and starting over is still probably the right solution. And besides the new drive should be here tomorrow so then all should be well.

Anyone using the Roxio software and want to fill me in on the proper options and setting to use? At this point it is more matter of curiosity than anything else but I am curious soul so there you are. :)

--jdiner

The Flush
02-16-2006, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the great advice on splitting my shows. It won't be difficult, and I agree with jdiner that it is something I won't have to do very often.

BustedSony
02-16-2006, 11:26 PM
It was in before the dark ages began. I will put it back into TyTool in one of the next few releases. Come to think of it all fo the work on the SplitMuxer got lost as well. It will be back sometime soon.

--jdiner

I will say though Josh that using the latest build of TyTool has been a pleasure. Everything is in sync, and it's fast. If it goes wrong it goes REALLY wrong ("Infinite Holes") but otherwise this is the best time I've had with TyTool. Thank You.

SBI
02-17-2006, 09:51 PM
does anyone how to fix an error that I am getting when I try to edit key files using TyTool 10.4 and cygwin.dll of the 1st page of this thread.

Looked for a response to that and couldn't find any.
Any idea?

jdiner
02-18-2006, 02:54 PM
Well. The problems with my burner continue... It would appear that even with the new drive the thing is still making bad disks. Since I have tried all new software etc... and nothing with nero works but Roxio's Creator8 software did even with the old drive that the problem appears to be software...

A long time ago there were ASPI layer repair or replacement tools. Anyone here familiar with such? I begin to think a full rebuild of this machine is necessary I just... don't want too. I had plans for TyTool for this weekend and a full rebuild will eat all of that time.

So before I started I thought I would ask. Anyone have any help or suggestions.

--jdiner

kemac
02-18-2006, 03:02 PM
Josh, just wondering if you have a media issue as a result of your old drive? Are you using the same DVD-RWs with the new drive or fresh media? If your using the same media you should make sure you reformat with the new drive. Have you tried a DVD-R?

Just some quick thoughts...

Kelly

jdiner
02-18-2006, 04:11 PM
Josh, just wondering if you have a media issue as a result of your old drive? Are you using the same DVD-RWs with the new drive or fresh media? If your using the same media you should make sure you reformat with the new drive. Have you tried a DVD-R?
Tried a DVD-R. did a full slow reformat. Nothing in either drive on the new machine works in my DVD players. Take the RW media back to the old drive with , it turns out, Pioneer 107D burner and the same source files just copied over the network burn and play fine.

So I found ForceASPI online. I removed the old aspi drivers, rebooted, did a full install of Nero, rebooted, and still bad burns on this machine. It is a HT AMD Athlon 64 X2. All I can think of now is that it is a corrupted windows problem, or a driver issue. I went to the gigabyte website and found that I have the latest drivers (not a surprise given that the machine is < 4 months old). So that leaves possibly a bad DMA/IDE driver, bad IDE controller, although verify always returns that it burned it as it should so I kind of doubt the controller, or ?!!?

I was just thinking I am using the MoBo controller for the burner and secondary DVD-ROM. Maybe I should use a seperate controller card. I have one. Wonder if that would help...

Thanks for trying to help. I appreciate it.

--jdiner

eastwind
02-18-2006, 04:26 PM
So I found ForceASPI online. I removed the old aspi drivers, rebooted, did a full install of Nero, rebooted, and still bad burns on this machine.
--jdiner
What does Nero Infotool show for the ASPI layer? What happens if you change it to Nero (if it's not already) ?

ew

wbelhaven
02-18-2006, 04:28 PM
Hi,

Any idea why there's no audio in a VOB file I created using TyTool10r4 from an otherwise functional MPG file?

Here's what I did:

Extracted an HD show in .tmf fomat from my HR10-250 via mfs_ftp (because of TyTool's known problem with gargantuan files (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?p=245995#post245995)).
Used the GOP editor to cut commercials and other junk and MUXed the result to an .mpg file.
Used mencoder to transcode that "HD" .mpg file into an "SD" NTSC DVD-compliant .mpg file.
Used TyTool to MUX that "SD" DVD-compliant .mpg to a .vob.

The "HD" .mpg and the "SD" DVD-compliant .mpg all play perfectly fine in mplayer and PowerDVD. But the .vob file has no audio when played in PowerDVD and, in fact, its file size is smaller than the .mpg file by the "size" of the audio info.

TyTool didn't appear to dislike the .mpg file, based on this log:

Detected Tivo Type: VOB/MPEG File
Detected Audio Stream Type: Dolby Digital 5.1
Final standardAudioSize = 1536
Final standardFrameLength = 1536
Final standardAudioDiff = 2880 or 00:00:00.032
[snip]
DiffTime = 296.531014 (296531) == 4.942184 Minutes
total = 4697294848 (4479 MB)

Done with 'xxx.mpg'...

The mencoder command I used to transcode was as follows:

mencoder -oac copy -ovc lavc -of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd \
-vf crop=1254:1066,scale=720:480,harddup -srate 48000 \
-af lavcresample=48000 -lavcopts \
vcodec=mpeg2video:vrc_buf_size=1835:vrc_maxrate=9800:vbitrate=3734:keyint=18:aspect=16/9 \
-ofps 30000/1001 -o sd-ntsc-dvd.mpg hd.mpg

I should add that I'm using the latest "unified" mfs_*, tserver, etc. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
Jim S.

kemac
02-18-2006, 05:12 PM
Take the RW media back to the old drive with , it turns out, Pioneer 107D burner and the same source files just copied over the network burn and play fine. --jdiner

That sounds like a good clue. Wonder if there is an issue with the source files on your local hard drive? Might be worth scanning the drive for errors and/or trying some different source files from a different drive or location.

Very strange issue you have, good luck! BTW- I had my wireless router, the fan on my graphics cardand a SATA data cable all go bad on me this week... I hope this is the last issue you have for a while as you have had your share of issues lately!

Kelly

jdiner
02-18-2006, 05:27 PM
What does Nero Infotool show for the ASPI layer? What happens if you change it to Nero (if it's not already) ?
It now reports nothing installed for system ASPI and the very latest from Nero.com's website, also came as part of the 7.0.0.0 disks I got with my CPU. I left it selected on Nero's and while it does work on the disk I am getting the same busted output.

I wish I knew why... :( but sometimes lately when it comes to hardware it would seem my computers are out to get me... :)

--jdiner

jdiner
02-18-2006, 05:49 PM
Any idea why there's no audio in a VOB file I created using TyTool10r4 from an otherwise functional MPG file?
There is actually a bug in that code at the moment where every now and again it fails on the audio processing. I found it here when working on some files about 2 weeks ago. I haven't fix it yet. My hope was to get it fixed today but right now I am fighting with this stupid hardware so I can start burning things out again. once I get that working I will start working on a few other things... That hopefully will still be one of them.

--jdiner

jdiner
02-18-2006, 06:05 PM
I will say though Josh that using the latest build of TyTool has been a pleasure. Everything is in sync, and it's fast. If it goes wrong it goes REALLY wrong ("Infinite Holes") but otherwise this is the best time I've had with TyTool. Thank You.
Yeah yeah yeah I am working on that one as well. Right now I am trying a Win2k repair process to see if that works. A small chance but faster than a full rebuild. Then I roll up to WinXP64 as this is after all a 64bit CPU in this machine...

If that doesn't fix it I go to the movies... :)

--jdiner

wbelhaven
02-18-2006, 06:24 PM
There is actually a bug in that code [.vob mux] at the moment where every now and again it fails on the audio processing.
Roger that, and thanks for the quick reply. PM me if you need someone to try out the fix, or if you'd like me to upload a snippet of my troublesome .mpg for testing.

In the mean time, is there a simple freeware app that will author a DVD from a single .mpg file into a DVD filesystem (video_ts, etc.) wherein the .mpg becomes the lone title which plays automagically (i.e., with no DVD menu)? It must not choke on an AC3 audio track. That would keep me moving forward while jdiner works on a fix.

Cheers,
Jim S.

SBI
02-18-2006, 06:24 PM
1. In TyTools 10r4, when I click Server / Start Server, I am getting the following error: "Starting the server failed. Never Received the telnet prompt. Please check your settings and try again.".
I did check the settings and every thing looks as it should be.
If I telnet from command prompt and start the server manually, it starts without a problem.
tserver is located in /var/hack

2. After I connect manually and transfer recordings from TiVo on my computer, and then try to "make key file", TyTools work on the file and after a while says "done". Then, when I try to "edit key file" I am getting the following error"
Also, during "make key file", the progress in TyTools does not look like it suppose be.

Doing the same thin on another computer that I have is working perfect.
Any idea what that might be?

Thanks for any advise.

eastwind
02-18-2006, 06:46 PM
1. In TyTools 10r4, when I click Server / Start Server, I am getting the following error: "Starting the server failed. Never Received the telnet prompt. Please check your settings and try again.".
I did check the settings and every thing looks as it should be.
If I telnet from command prompt and start the server manually, it starts without a problem.
tserver is located in /var/hack

2. After I connect manually and transfer recordings from TiVo on my computer, and then try to "make key file", TyTools work on the file and after a while says "done". Then, when I try to "edit key file" I am getting the following error"
Also, during "make key file", the progress in TyTools does not look like it suppose be.

Doing the same thin on another computer that I have is working perfect.
Any idea what that might be?

Thanks for any advise.
Sounds like it's not receiving what it thinks the prompt should be. I think the default is '$' and if you don't have that in your prompt string then you need to tell TyTool10r4.exe (by way of the preferences wizard) what to look for (pick a character or string from the telnet prompt).

ew

eastwind
02-18-2006, 06:50 PM
I wish I knew why... :( but sometimes lately when it comes to hardware it would seem my computers are out to get me... :)

--jdiner
Do you ever see a strange aura surrounding you when you see your reflection in the dark (especially red) ?? :)

ew

SBI
02-18-2006, 07:01 PM
Sounds like it's not receiving what it thinks the prompt should be. I think the default is '$' and if you don't have that in your prompt string then you need to tell TyTool10r4.exe (by way of the preferences wizard) what to look for (pick a character or string from the telnet prompt).

ew

Thanks!! I run a new download of TyTools and used the defualt string that for some reason was not in the previous one and everything is working great now...both problems solved.

Thanks!!!

Edit: Well, not really...still cannot "make key file" to shows I download from the TiVo. This is the error that I am getting in the log file"

Sorry... Failed to get the first 10 initial chunks...
Have to have at least that many to start the analysis phase...

DiffTime = 0.000000 (0) == 0.000000 Minutes

total = 1310720 (1 MB)

Done with 'F:\show name-.ty'...

BustedSony
02-18-2006, 10:15 PM
A stupid question, the DVDr problems didn't start after switching to Nero 7.0.0.0...? The early builds of nero 7 are notoriously buggy, it simply doesn't work. I'm sticking to 6.6.0.16 (not even the latest build of Nero 6) since it works flawlessly for me.

lee78221
02-18-2006, 10:45 PM
Found an OOB packet... The Video Diff is: 00:07:52.947
sVid is: 00:04:25.885
largestVideoPTS is: 00:12:18.832
Found an OOB packet... The Audio Diff is: 00:00:00.024
sAud is: 00:12:18.634
largestAudioPTS is: 00:12:18.826

Found an OOB packet... The Video Diff is: 00:07:53.181
sVid is: 00:04:25.951
largestVideoPTS is: 00:12:19.133
Found an OOB packet... The Audio Diff is: 00:07:53.115
sAud is: 00:04:25.711
Is it in sequence??? It is OFF by exactly 19713.125000 frames.

how will effect my video? this happen when i mulitpelx the file.

cheer
02-19-2006, 12:14 AM
Edit: Well, not really...still cannot "make key file" to shows I download from the TiVo. This is the error that I am getting in the log file"

Sorry... Failed to get the first 10 initial chunks...
Have to have at least that many to start the analysis phase...
This is a very-frequently-asked question. Your shows are encrypted.

jdiner
02-19-2006, 02:08 PM
Well a full OS rebuild later and using the 6.6.0.16 version mentioned here by a few as rock solid and stable produced exactly the same result. Disks that play in my apex and nowhere else. I am rapidly running out of ideas. I have never had problems like this with a burner before.

While I think it might be better to take it out of the thread at this point I would really love some help from anyone that has any ideas on what I might do next. I have kind of exhausted my knowledge store house. While I appriciate the help from all and sundry I hate getting so personally off topic in the thread.

I can't help but wonder what might be causing it? This is the first HT CPU, dual core AMD, that I have ever had I wonder if that has some kind of an impact on burning. Do any of you guys/gals have such a setup that you have working? And if so what is in it and how did you get it working?

My machine is:
Gigabyte k8u 939 motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
2 gig of ram
NEC 3550a burner.
Running Win2k SP1 (post yesterdays full rebuild.) (SP2 prior to that)

So if anyone has a machine that is close and has it working properly and is willing to help a bit then please please please PM me.

Thanks,
--jdiner

rob2k1
02-19-2006, 02:52 PM
Well a full OS rebuild later and using the 6.6.0.16 version mentioned here by a few as rock solid and stable produced exactly the same result. Disks that play in my apex and nowhere else. I am rapidly running out of ideas. I have never had problems like this with a burner before.

While I think it might be better to take it out of the thread at this point I would really love some help from anyone that has any ideas on what I might do next. I have kind of exhausted my knowledge store house. While I appriciate the help from all and sundry I hate getting so personally off topic in the thread.

I can't help but wonder what might be causing it? This is the first HT CPU, dual core AMD, that I have ever had I wonder if that has some kind of an impact on burning. Do any of you guys/gals have such a setup that you have working? And if so what is in it and how did you get it working?

My machine is:
Gigabyte k8u 939 motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
2 gig of ram
NEC 3550a burner.
Running Win2k SP1 (post yesterdays full rebuild.) (SP2 prior to that)

So if anyone has a machine that is close and has it working properly and is willing to help a bit then please please please PM me.

Thanks,
--jdiner

I have an Alienware machine that has the Asus A8n-SLI Deluxe MB with X2-4800, 2 GIG ram , and NEC ND-3520A burner. I recently rebuilt it with Asus drivers WinXP sp2 with latest patches, and Nero 7, and I haven't had any problems with burned DVD's. I'll be happy to try helping.

Robbie

Fugg
02-19-2006, 04:53 PM
What firmware is on your 3550a? It looks like they shipped w/1.04... 1.05 is the latest official release.
http://support.necsam.com/optical/downloads/flashfirmware/

as Fred linked earlier, Liggy's and Dee's has the originals and modified firmware on their page:
http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/page/3550/
(just for unnecessary redundancy, loading modded firmware voids warranty);)

pre-requisite silly questions:
dma enabled on the ide channel?
different media?
Shaking a chicken bone and a feather over it while burning?
:D

FredThompson
02-19-2006, 05:20 PM
Well a full OS rebuild later and using the 6.6.0.16 version mentioned here by a few as rock solid and stable produced exactly the same result. Disks that play in my apex and nowhere else. I am rapidly running out of ideas. I have never had problems like this with a burner before.Get thee to Staples or Staples.com and buy one of the I/O Magic burners that are $20 after rebates. Odds are it's a Lite-On drive. Methinks you've "spent" far more value in time on this than the cost of replacement hardware.

jdiner
02-20-2006, 03:11 AM
Roger that, and thanks for the quick reply. PM me if you need someone to try out the fix, or if you'd like me to upload a snippet of my troublesome .mpg for testing.
Will do but I have like 8 bad ones of my own at the moment. Not sure what went wrong but given that many bad elements it shouldn't be that hard to track down. I will post here in the forum when I have the fix in place, should I need testing I will PM you directly.

--jdiner

jdiner
02-20-2006, 03:14 AM
This has been reported in a string lately. The problem is that you if you DO NOT HAVE SCRAMBLING DISABLED then when you got to make a key the system creates the starting header for the file but puts no further data into it. Thus the file is darn near empty byte wise and completely empty of usable key data. So you wind up with the above error. Disable scrambling using the varied techniques posted here on this forum and either make new recordings that aren't scrambled or extract them in a fashion to defeat/remove and it and you should be good to go.

--jdiner

jdiner
02-20-2006, 03:17 AM
Do you ever see a strange aura surrounding you when you see your reflection in the dark (especially red) ?? :)
Yes. But only on occasion.

Well after removing the OS from this computer, switching out the controller card, replacing the 80-pin ribbon cable and trying a dozen different versions of Nero I have had no luck.

Or at least until now. With all of those things replaced I tried one last thing. Turning on XBox compatibility on this HT/dual machine. And it works. I am not burning "correctly". But I haven't needed that option in a very very long time. I checked my other machine with the slower burner and it does not have it on but has been working this whole time. Makes me wonder if it would have worked had I done that before I worked this machine over so thoroughly... :(

So it got me thinking... How many of you guys have to have that setting on, or have it on still, and how many have it off. It would be interesting, IMHO, to see what the counts were.

--jdiner

jdiner
02-20-2006, 03:22 AM
Found an OOB packet... The Video Diff is: 00:07:52.947
sVid is: 00:04:25.885
largestVideoPTS is: 00:12:18.832
Found an OOB packet... The Audio Diff is: 00:00:00.024
sAud is: 00:12:18.634

Found an OOB packet... The Video Diff is: 00:07:53.181
sVid is: 00:04:25.951
largestVideoPTS is: 00:12:19.133
Found an OOB packet... The Audio Diff is: 00:07:53.115
sAud is: 00:04:25.711
Is it in sequence??? It is OFF by exactly 19713.125000 frames.

how will effect my video? this happen when i mulitpelx the file.
That is a report of a handled stream issue. So not an "error" per se but a problem in the stream that was dealt with. How it will get handled??? There will be a slight "gap" in the video and audio of the stream. There is no way around that. When a DTV stream resets like that there is actually missing data. I can do nothing about that. Nothing anyone can do. Missing data is just that... not there.

Now 99% of the time DTV in an attempt to be nice to us etc... puts that in a commercial. So if you cut the commercials more often than not it gets removed and is a non-issue.

Long term, it is something I, and many others, have just gotten use to. The price we pay for the quality of the streams we can get.

To be clear:
1- It will not affect the A/V lip-sync of the stream during playback.

2- The "glitch" in playback will be at most 1 GOP long. Depending on what data got lost, i.e. an I-Frame or a P-Frame there will be corruption carried through thanks to MPEG-2 prediction model until the next I-Frame.

3- If you use other tools on the stream post TyTool processing odds are you going to have problems. They tend to ignore a bit too much information and sync becomes... problematic.

Hope this helps fill in the gaps a bit.
--jdiner

jdiner
02-20-2006, 03:24 AM
I have an Alienware machine that has the Asus A8n-SLI Deluxe MB with X2-4800, 2 GIG ram , and NEC ND-3520A burner. I recently rebuilt it with Asus drivers WinXP sp2 with latest patches, and Nero 7, and I haven't had any problems with burned DVD's. I'll be happy to try helping.
Feel free to put in a box and ship it too me... :D

There are a few differences there. The WinXP being the one that jumps out at me most...

As I posted a few minutes ago I had to turn on the XBox compatibility. Did you do that with Nero7?

--jdiner

jdiner
02-20-2006, 03:32 AM
What firmware is on your 3550a? It looks like they shipped w/1.04... 1.05 is the latest official release.
Mine was ordered 3 days ago, came Friday and had 1.05 already on it. So I have not altered the firmware because... well.... it was the latest. And honestly I thought adding a hacked firmware to the mix at this point might just finish my sanity off completely. What little there is left of it... :)

pre-requisite silly questions:
dma enabled on the ide channel?
different media?
Shaking a chicken bone and a feather over it while burning?
:D
DMA was on, I tried it off, I tried it back on again after that.
I have tried 5 different kinds of media. 2 brands and speeds of DVD RW (one plus and one dash), a teon DVD-R, and a Ritek DVD-R.
Forgot the chicken bone. Crap. That was probably it... :)

--jdiner

jdiner
02-20-2006, 03:33 AM
Get thee to Staples or Staples.com and buy one of the I/O Magic burners that are $20 after rebates. Odds are it's a Lite-On drive. Methinks you've "spent" far more value in time on this than the cost of replacement hardware.
Now come on Fred... I had just bought that NEC 3550a that you had recommended... :) But to be honest I had come to the same conclusion myself and had planned to do just that tomorrow if I couldn't make it work.

--jdiner

Rowan
02-20-2006, 09:14 AM
How many of you guys have to have that setting on, or have it on still, and how many have it off. It would be interesting, IMHO, to see what the counts were.
--jdiner
In the past I had to have that option turned on to make good DVDs, I was finaly able to figure out why it was needed. The media that I was using was 8x but the DVD burner was burining it at 12x, somehow the x-box switch option made the DVDs good, without it only the burner could read them.

I have not read all of your emails in great detail but have you tried a different brand of blank DVD?

lee78221
02-20-2006, 09:58 AM
That is a report of a handled stream issue. So not an "error" per se but a problem in the stream that was dealt with. How it will get handled??? There will be a slight "gap" in the video and audio of the stream. There is no way around that. When a DTV stream resets like that there is actually missing data. I can do nothing about that. Nothing anyone can do. Missing data is just that... not there.

Now 99% of the time DTV in an attempt to be nice to us etc... puts that in a commercial. So if you cut the commercials more often than not it gets removed and is a non-issue.

Long term, it is something I, and many others, have just gotten use to. The price we pay for the quality of the streams we can get.

To be clear:
1- It will not affect the A/V lip-sync of the stream during playback.

2- The "glitch" in playback will be at most 1 GOP long. Depending on what data got lost, i.e. an I-Frame or a P-Frame there will be corruption carried through thanks to MPEG-2 prediction model until the next I-Frame.

3- If you use other tools on the stream post TyTool processing odds are you going to have problems. They tend to ignore a bit too much information and sync becomes... problematic.

Hope this helps fill in the gaps a bit.
--jdiner
Thanks that help a LOT:cool: :cool:

rob2k1
02-20-2006, 10:36 AM
Feel free to put in a box and ship it too me... :D

There are a few differences there. The WinXP being the one that jumps out at me most...

As I posted a few minutes ago I had to turn on the XBox compatibility. Did you do that with Nero7?

--jdiner

I've been using Nero express, and have never even seen the xbox compatibility option. Maybe the media used has something to do with it. I am still using 4X FujiFilm disk I bought over a year ago and burning at 8X.

Robbie

eastwind
02-20-2006, 12:00 PM
In the past I had to have that option turned on to make good DVDs, I was finaly able to figure out why it was needed. The media that I was using was 8x but the DVD burner was burining it at 12x, somehow the x-box switch option made the DVDs good, without it only the burner could read them.

I have not read all of your emails in great detail but have you tried a different brand of blank DVD?
Brings up a good point I meant to ask about. Did you ever try limiting your burn speed to the rated speed for the DVDs instead of letting the burner set the speed?

ew

cheer
02-20-2006, 12:50 PM
Brings up a good point I meant to ask about. Did you ever try limiting your burn speed to the rated speed for the DVDs instead of letting the burner set the speed?
I was going to suggest the same...or, for that matter, burning slower than the rated speed. I've seen certain batches of media that, on certain drives only, required me to throttle the speed back for successful burning. No rhyme or reason that I could determine.

jdiner
02-20-2006, 02:11 PM
I never manually limited it but it was reporting 8x as the speed for the 8x media that I was using. I never tried burning slower, i.e. 4x or 1x or anything, to be honest it never occured to me to try going slower like that.

--jdiner

jdiner
02-20-2006, 02:13 PM
I was going to suggest the same...or, for that matter, burning slower than the rated speed. I've seen certain batches of media that, on certain drives only, required me to throttle the speed back for successful burning. No rhyme or reason that I could determine.
Hummm. I can see that now that it has been mentioned but... both were pioneer drives, the same spindle of media was in use in both, I just expected it to work pretty much the same. I will try a 4x burn of the test when I get home from work.

--jdiner

artships
02-20-2006, 03:33 PM
Josh, you didn't by chance play a Sony CD on your system, did you?

http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/2005/10/sony-rootkits-and-digital-rights.html

Disable with a felt-tip pen: http://www.usatoday.com/money/tech/2002-05-20-copyproof-cd.htm

jdiner
02-20-2006, 04:52 PM
Josh, you didn't by chance play a Sony CD on your system, did you?
I did not. I do not buy much in the way of music CDs... I listen to my MP3s from my older CDs and I listen to the radio. I have had probably 40 total Music CDs in my whole life.

Of course I have over 1000 DVDs that I have made so it all balances out in the grand scheme of things... :)

--jdiner

mrdizzy
02-20-2006, 05:46 PM
So it got me thinking... How many of you guys have to have that setting on, or have it on still, and how many have it off. It would be interesting, IMHO, to see what the counts were.

For my tytool DVDs to work on my Sony DVD player (DVP-S725D) I have to use "Vob-mux new format", and turn Xbox compatibility on (in addition to your recommended Nero settings of UDF/ISO, UDF1.02 etc). Nothing else results in a working DVD. Actually in my version of Nero it's called "Force DVD-Video compatibility mode (required for Xbox)" so perhaps it is something to do with the ordering of the files? When the burn starts Nero reports "DVD-Video files sorted" - I am guessing it is physically putting the VIDEO_TS folder first on the disc and the files in the right places as required by the dvd spec.

I'd love to know what the option actually does, though - tried a few searches earlier but other than Xbox forums around the net telling people to tick the box, I couldn't find much!

mrdizzy
02-20-2006, 05:54 PM
I've been using Nero express, and have never even seen the xbox compatibility option. Maybe the media used has something to do with it.

It's an option in Nero Burning ROM, and it is not provided in Nero Express. Nor is the ability to burn a UDF/ISO disc! I couldn't stop Nero Express from re-encoding tytool DVD images when I used it (it only lets you use pure DVD-Video, and doesn't like tytool's finished DVD images), which defeats the point of using tytool somewhat!

eastwind
02-20-2006, 06:02 PM
I did not. I do not buy much in the way of music CDs... I listen to my MP3s from my older CDs and I listen to the radio. I have had probably 40 total Music CDs in my whole life.

Of course I have over 1000 DVDs that I have made so it all balances out in the grand scheme of things... :)

--jdiner
What about store-bought/rented DVDs? I'm guessing that SONY might be as likely to put copy protection on the DVDs as they are to put it on CDs.....

ew

rob2k1
02-20-2006, 06:26 PM
It's an option in Nero Burning ROM, and it is not provided in Nero Express. Nor is the ability to burn a UDF/ISO disc! I couldn't stop Nero Express from re-encoding tytool DVD images when I used it (it only lets you use pure DVD-Video, and doesn't like tytool's finished DVD images), which defeats the point of using tytool somewhat!

My Nero Express doesn't force a reencode. It just warns me that it detected Video, and that it may not work when burned as a data disk, but no problems in most of my players. The one player I own that I have had a problem with will see DVD+RW, but not DVD+R.

Robbie

eastwind
02-20-2006, 07:29 PM
Using the version of Nero Express I have I choose Burn DVD-Video files (from StartSmart). Then I add the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders and burn (sometimes I change the default name). Haven't had any problems and I can play the DVDs in my Sony changer. The version is 6.6.0.5--haven't upgraded to 7.x.x.x yet.

ew

dalynd
02-20-2006, 08:57 PM
Or at least until now. With all of those things replaced I tried one last thing. Turning on XBox compatibility on this HT/dual machine. And it works. I am not burning "correctly". But I haven't needed that option in a very very long time. I checked my other machine with the slower burner and it does not have it on but has been working this whole time. Makes me wonder if it would have worked had I done that before I worked this machine over so thoroughly... :(

--jdiner

Just thought I would chime in with my results though it seems like you have it figured out. . .

This weekend I bought the Pioneer DVR110 DVD+RW drive to upgrade write speed. I found that Nero 5.x would not recognize it. I downloaded Nero 7.0.5.4 and, through a couple of coasters, confirmed that it does not work with TyTool 10r4 generated images the same as Nero 5.x I had tried using UDF/ISO mode with UDF set to 1.02 like I did before, but it did not work with Nero 7.0.5.4. This is true of the new drive and my old drive. By enabling the X-box compatibility mode in 7.0.5.4, I have burned discs that worked just like before.

drez
02-20-2006, 09:44 PM
hey just wanted to say that tytool was in a screen shot for an article i ran into:

http://www.hdbeat.com/2006/02/20/how-to-get-tons-of-hd-content-playing-on-your-pc/

and engadget wrote a piece on that^^ article:
http://www.engadget.com/2006/02/20/how-to-get-hd-content-on-your-pc/

jdiner
02-20-2006, 11:38 PM
What about store-bought/rented DVDs? I'm guessing that SONY might be as likely to put copy protection on the DVDs as they are to put it on CDs.....
An interesting thought but nope. I work on those machines. So I don't use software like that on them. I have one machine I do put other disks into but that one isn't even on the network with the rest of them. It is infact at the moment in the closet. :)

--jdiner

pdawg17
02-21-2006, 03:25 AM
I have an hd10-250 and am using an FA120 to a WET11 (wireless-b) bridge which then travels to my b router...I am getting around .48 for a download speed...even though I am using a usb 2.0 adapter does the wireless component slow things down that much? Is this what I should expect?

jdiner
02-21-2006, 03:36 AM
I have an hd10-250 and am using an FA120 to a WET11 (wireless-b) bridge which then travels to my b router...I am getting around .48 for a download speed...even though I am using a usb 2.0 adapter does the wireless component slow things down that much? Is this what I should expect?
Run a search. This question, and many similar questions dealing with wireless speeds, have been asked and answer.

--jdiner