PDA

View Full Version : Media Access Key On Tivo Drive

coaxial
01-12-2006, 10:13 PM
I would like to know if I take the tivo A drive out of the box and mount it on my pc, if I may be able to find the media access key in a file somewhere ?

This would allow me to use Tivo desktop which I am unable to because the tivo keeps reporting that "MEDIA ACCESS KEY : KEY TEMPORARILY UNAVAILABLE" . Everyone in these forums says to reconnect the TIVO to the service which I have done repeatedly and it logs on succefully , etc but no key.

I am not going to renew my subs. so I am hoping it is in a file somewhere on the TIVO. i am running 7.2.1-oth. IF you know of any other way to connect using the tivo desktop w/o the key let me know too..

thanks

Narf54321
01-12-2006, 10:33 PM
Did you try simply going to tivo.com and log into your account? There should be a MAK for all the tivos on your account.

I imagine if you cancelled your service and let the tivo continue to "dial-in" they may have erased the key certificates from your box.

eastwind
01-12-2006, 10:38 PM
If you've cancelled your service, the MAK is probably expired (which would likely make it useless even if you find it).

Disclaimer: That's what I think, but I could be wrong (again).
ew

Narf54321
01-12-2006, 10:51 PM
I wanted to mention that its highly unlikely that your MAK is stored anywhere in "a file", but probably hidden away somewhere in MFS.

I found these hints for finding the MAK from tivo:

You can find your Media Access Key in either of these two places:

* From your TiVo Digital Video Recorder (DVR): Go to TiVo Central, select Messages & Setup, then Account and System Information, then Media Access Key.

* Online: Go to https://www.tivo.com/accesskey. You will need your username and password for your tivo.com account.

If your goal is to save your shows from your tivo, there are probably other ways to do it. Save to VCR (or one of those home theatre DVD-R units), and possibly unscramble.o come to mind.

coaxial
01-13-2006, 02:54 AM
Thanks..So I guess I can't transfer using desktop when my subscription expires..bummer..