PDA

View Full Version : DSR6000 2.5 image

jasongt
11-14-2001, 05:20 PM
I have a DSR6000 that is 2.0 and I need to subscribe it. So can I activate and let it download the 2.5 update. If so will the box still be able to be hacked. And also when do I need to backup the drive so that the image will be good to others? If this will work I will put on an FTP so that others can bennifit from it.

Thanks,
Jason

Also how long does it take to download the update from Tivo? Also I thought I read how it could download using dsl with a Linux router?

Thanks again,
Jason

Rant
11-14-2001, 06:16 PM
Man, that's alot of questions :)

Yes, you can activate the unit with DirecTV and let it download 2.5, which should happen within a day or 2, if not sooner. You'll need to pull the drive first and get a backup of 2.0. After 2.5 downloads and installs, you'll need to backup 2.5 and restore 2.0. Then get bash on 2.0, run the getprom, restore 2.5, and get bash on 2.5. From there you can hack to your heart's content. Sounds like a lengthy process, but I did it this morning and it doesn't take much time if you're patient. Follow the 2.5 HowTo that was posted earlier and you'll be good to go. Downloading via DSL is only possible if you have a TivoNet board installed.

jasongt
11-14-2001, 06:59 PM
Thanks maybe I can get a good image out there I have a dual and single drive unit so that should help alot of people.

One question does it matter when you do the backup of 2.5? Before reboot or after reboot?

Thanks,
Jason

Rant
11-14-2001, 07:41 PM
I believe the preferred method is to download 2.5, reboot, go through a complete System Clear to wipe out your specific system info, then do a backup. This part will be the most time consuming since 2.5 took over an hour to download and install for me, and a system clear took another hour as well.

jasongt
11-14-2001, 07:42 PM
Ok this thing has been on the phone for about 20 mins so far maybe it is going ahead and downloading the 2.5.

Aviator
11-14-2001, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by jasongt
Ok this thing has been on the phone for about 20 mins so far maybe it is going ahead and downloading the 2.5.

man, a working 2.5 backup would be AWESOME uploaded to a decent server we could all get it from :)

jasongt
11-14-2001, 07:58 PM
Well if the people that have FTP servers will email me maybe I can get the image to them. I have dsl but my uploads are only 170k so that is not fast enough to host but I could atleast get it to the people that do have the power to host.

flipsoft
11-14-2001, 10:27 PM
Check your email!