PDA

View Full Version : TyTool Install Help

tms1766
01-13-2006, 11:58 AM
I've been looking everywhere for some instructions on how to extract TiVo shows to my desktop to burn on DVD. There are bits and pieces everywhere. Can someone please give me some easy to understand (non-linux user) instructions on how to load tytool on my desktop and tyserver on my TiVo box from PTVUpgrade. I've downloaded the TyTool10r4.zip file, but there are no explicit instructions. Thanks :-).

Jamie
01-13-2006, 12:47 PM
I've been looking everywhere for some instructions on how to extract TiVo shows to my desktop to burn on DVD. There are bits and pieces everywhere. Can someone please give me some easy to understand (non-linux user) instructions on how to load tytool on my desktop and tyserver on my TiVo box from PTVUpgrade. I've downloaded the TyTool10r4.zip file, but there are no explicit instructions. Thanks :-).http://fletchergeek.com/TyTool/TyTool_Help_Main.html
http://www.tytool.com/tytemplates/FAQ/default.aspx
http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47025

Note that the tivo side server process for tytool is called tserver not tyserver. tyserver is part of a different package called tystudio (http://dvd-create.sourceforge.net/tystudio/index.shtml). Development on tystudio ceased about three years ago, AFAIK.

It sounds like you may have a box that came prehacked. You might want to read this (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35229) newbie sticky. In fact, read all the newbie stickies.

coaxial
01-13-2006, 01:36 PM
Is there special hacks to apply for tytools and tserver depending on the version of tivo you have.. I have not tried to do this because I am unclear if it will work with 7.2.1- and I don't have the media access key. It seems like from what I read you have to keep patching tserver for each new version of tivo ..is this correct?

captain_video
01-13-2006, 02:47 PM
The media access key is only required for TivoToGo extractions. Since you have 7.2 you have a series 2 standalone Tivo with a MIPS processor. Look in the TyTools folder and you'll find a folder for your Tivo containing a tserver file. Telnet to your Tivo via ethernet connection or serial cable. If you don't have networking installed then you need to step back and do some more research. If you have networking then proceed.

Make the file system read/write (type in "mount -o remount,rw /" without the quotes) and create a tytools directory (mkdir /tytool). Navigate to the directory (cd /tytool) and open up an FTP program using the Tivo's IP address. Transfer the tserver file for your Tivo to the /tytools directory on the Tivo. From the bash prompt in your telnet session, make the tserver file executable (chmod 755 tserver). Now you can follow whatever guide suits you for extracting shows to your PC.

You can activate the tserver file manually from bash (./tserver) or set it up to run at bootup (see the tytool docs for setting this up). Open up the TyTools program on your PC, specify an output folder, and connect using the Tivo's IP address. Click on Refresh to display the list of recordings on the Tivo. Select the ones you want to extract and click on Get.

Jamie
01-13-2006, 03:03 PM
Is there special hacks to apply for tytools and tserver depending on the version of tivo you have.. I have not tried to do this because I am unclear if it will work with 7.2.1- and I don't have the media access key. It seems like from what I read you have to keep patching tserver for each new version of tivo ..is this correct?If you don't have a MAK, sounds like your tivo isn't subscribed. This makes it effectively a doorstop, AFAIK.

You never have to patch tserver.

You will need to patch tivoapp if you want to turn off scrambling. tytools is of little use on scrambled programs. The tivoapp patch to turn off scrambling (aka "nocso") does vary based on software version [reference (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31213)]. It's also part of the HMO superpatch, which is available for 7.2.1-oth [reference (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43326) (see post #138 for the 7.2.1-oth version)].

If you have existing shows that are scrambled, you'll need to descramble them on the tivo before you extract them [reference (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39207)]. This is fairly advanced and will not be easy for a novice tivo hacker.

mabx2
01-15-2006, 11:50 PM
I receive an error:

Trancode Selected Mode: 0
Ready...
Reading list from the server...
Clear Now Showing List...
Connecting to '193.148.12.50'
ERROR: Failed to Connect!

when I try to Refresh the Now Showing list. Here is my setup:

TyTools v10r4
- FTP'd tserver to /var/hack directory
- CHMod'd to 755
TiVo:
- Phillips DSR-7000 (hacked drive from PTV Upgrade)
- IP Address: 193.148.12.50:951 (Used port so I can connect remotely)

Am I missing anything? Have I failed to setup something properly? Please help!!!!!

P.S. am fairly new to linux, but can get around.

Thanks in advance......

cheer
01-16-2006, 02:46 AM
This will sound like a dumb question, but are you starting tserver?

mabx2
01-16-2006, 05:45 PM
I start tserver from within TyTool.

Telneting to the TIVO...
Connected...
We got 'bash-2.02# ' which is the prompt!
bash-2.02# /var/hack/bin/tserver
bash: /var/hack/bin/tserver: No such file or directory
bash-2.02#
bash-2.02#

I have a statement in my rc.sysinit.author file:

# Starting the TyTool (tserver) application:
#if test -f /ptvupgrade/bin/tserver
#then
/ptvupgrade/bin/tserver

#/var/hack/tserver_mfs7 s /var/hack/NowShowing.tcl &
#/ptvupgrade/bin/tserver -s /ptvupgrade/bin/NowShowing.tcl > /dev/null 2>&1&
#fi
#-----------------------------------

But, I am not sure it is working properly (or at all, for that matter).

cheer
01-16-2006, 06:15 PM
I start tserver from within TyTool.

Telneting to the TIVO...
Connected...
bash: /var/hack/bin/tserver: No such file or directory

Re-read the above until you spot the problem. Hint: IT'S BLOODY OBVIOUS.

I have a statement in my rc.sysinit.author file:

#then
/ptvupgrade/bin/tserver

#fi
Well, first of all tserver isn't really designed to run all the time -- that's why you can start/stop it from within TyTool. And if it is running all the time, then you shouldn't try to start it from within TyTool.

Where, exactly, is your tserver located? In which directory?

mabx2
01-16-2006, 11:39 PM
I placed tserver in the /var/hack directory. I don't think that tserver is running all of the time (the script statement in rc.sysinit.author most likely isn't configured correctly), because I would receive an error when I start tserver it from TyTools (wouldn't I??).

Re-read the above until you spot the problem. Hint: IT'S BLOODY OBVIOUS.
I placed tserver in a few locations in an attempt to troubleshoot the issue. tserver is in the following locations:
/var/hack
/var/hack/bin
/ptvupgrade/bin

Sorry for not mentioning that earlier.

cheer
01-17-2006, 12:13 AM
Dunno, never tried. But if you put tserver in /var/hack, then that's a problem; check out the command that TyTool executes to start the server:

Change your server execute string to /var/hack/tserver and see how that works.

mabx2
01-17-2006, 01:24 PM
Thanks. I'll give it a try & let you know.

mabx2
01-18-2006, 12:42 AM
Tied your suggestion - Did not work. I get this error when I try to start tserver within tytool:

Telneting to the TIVO...
Connected...
./NowShowing.tcl: No such file or directory
bash-2.02#
bash-2.02#
And this error when clicking Refresh button in tytool:

Reading list from the server...
Clear Now Showing List...
ERROR: Failed to Connect!

I have verified that tserver is in the /var/hack/bin/ directory, along with NowShowing.tcl

I have commented out the commands in rc.sysinit.author for tserver:

#Added 10-7-05 mab------------------
#then
#/ptvupgrade/bin/tserver

#fi

Both tserver & NowShowing.tcl are chmod'd to 755

Here is the Server Execute String in TyTool (TyTool Preferences - Server).

/var/hack/bin/tserver

Sorry if I provided too much info, just trying to be thorough.

Any suggestions??? Am I still missing something??

cheer
01-18-2006, 02:36 AM
Which version of tserver are you running? The latest and greatest doesn't require a NowShowing.tcl. Replace your tserver with the latest one from the TyTool 10R4 thread.

mabx2
01-18-2006, 03:02 AM
I am using the 10R4 version of tserver downloaded from the TyTool 10R4 thread.

Just on the off chance I could have the wrong tserver file, I deleted ALL instances of it on my TiVo unit and re-ftp'd it from the zip file from the 10r4 thread. Also verified the correct server path in TyTool.

And, what do ya know... it works. Sorry for taking up your time for what is clearly a brain fart on my part.

Thanks again, and sorry for the inconvenience.

swarrans
02-03-2006, 04:56 AM
OK, I'm a noob, and a Brit at that!
I've downloaded Tytool 10R4, put the tserver file in /var/hack, changed it's permissions so everthing on my UK series 1 Tivo looks OK.
However, when I run the Tytools client, I don't have the options under "server" to be able to set the tserver execute string - they're literally not there!
Consequently when the server tries to telnet, it connects for a while and reports the error "starting the server failed. Never received the Telnet prompt. Please check your settings and try again"

Obviously I've done something wrong but I've been looking for an answer in the threads but can't find why my menu options seem to be missing (not grayed out, just not there!)

Thank-you,

Simon

eastwind
02-03-2006, 05:36 AM
OK, I'm a noob, and a Brit at that!
I've downloaded Tytool 10R4, put the tserver file in /var/hack, changed it's permissions so everthing on my UK series 1 Tivo looks OK.
However, when I run the Tytools client, I don't have the options under "server" to be able to set the tserver execute string - they're literally not there!
Consequently when the server tries to telnet, it connects for a while and reports the error "starting the server failed. Never received the Telnet prompt. Please check your settings and try again"

Obviously I've done something wrong but I've been looking for an answer in the threads but can't find why my menu options seem to be missing (not grayed out, just not there!)

Thank-you,

Simon
Okay, noob/Brit, here's the deal: I know this isn't what you want to hear, but don't be so lazy. Read through the documentation that comes installed in the TyTool directory with the programs. They're called release notes, and they tell what's different in this release. Read them all until you find what you're looking for.

ew

swarrans
02-03-2006, 06:32 AM
Okay, noob/Brit, here's the deal: I know this isn't what you want to hear, but don't be so lazy. Read through the documentation that comes installed in the TyTool directory with the programs. They're called release notes, and they tell what's different in this release. Read them all until you find what you're looking for.

ew
Thanks (I think!)
Now that I've found the preferences wizard I can't understand why the IP address under "Networking" says 192.168.0.2 (AND won't allow me to change it) when I've put my Tivo address as 192.168.0.4
The RELEASE NOTES say "2- Networking:The networking wizard pane contains the basic networking options available at this time. Socket mode can be set to Single or Double. For those with Series1 SA or DTivos Double socket mode should be used it at all possible. It will make the transfers substantially faster.

Below that is the entry for the available IP Addresses on your machine. This is the address that will be use for double socket me. MAKE ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN THAT IT IS THE PROPER ADDRESS IN THE SAME SUBNET AS THE TIVO"
Does this mean it should be 192.168.0.4 or the Gateway address of 192.168.0.1 - and if I need to change it how do I do it? (it won't let me type over it/delete it or anything).

Simon

eastwind
02-03-2006, 08:04 AM
The address for your machine. The machine you'll be extracting to. You set the TiVo's address on the main page at the top. This entry is for some geeky people (like me) who have more than one NIC card in a single PC (like one wired and one wireless--or one connected to the home network and one connected to the internet). It allows you to dictate the proper address to use to connect to the TiVo.

ew

swarrans
02-03-2006, 08:20 AM
Thanks Eastwind. In that case everything seems to be correct - my Tivo is on 192.168.0.4 (set on main page at top) and my PC is 192.168.0.2 so it should work - except it doesn't!
Perhaps like an earlier poster I'll delete everything and start again just in case I took the tserver for the series 2 machine or something (although I'm sure I didn't)

Thx for your patience,
S

eastwind
02-03-2006, 08:57 AM
Did you put a prompt in on the Server page of the Prefernces Wizard? One that reflects the prompt your TiVo gives you in a telnet session (can be as short as one character)? If you don't put in the prompt, TyTool never knows when to send the commad to start tserver.

Do you have the right command to start tserver? (/path/to/tserver)

ew

swarrans
02-03-2006, 11:17 AM
Genius - that worked! (I put a # in). I confess if that was in the instructions I managed to miss it (and I'm sure it would have been, so apologies).

Thank you very, very much!

Simon

Tivo_Tastic
02-05-2006, 09:09 PM
Ive installed tytool and started the server, everything seemed ok but when i refreshed to collect the now showing data i get the error:

Getting NowShowing data...
Sorry.. Could not obtain the list.

And this in the tserver output window:

Telneting to the TIVO...
Connecting to '192.168.1.150'
Connected...
bash-2.02# /var/hack/tserver -s /var/hack/NowShowing.tcl
Doing the Lowest PriorityFix...
Waiting for an incoming connection!
SERVER: We got a message! buf = 'SHOWING'
syntax error in expression "*60*60"
while executing
"expr $tz*60*60"
(procedure "get_tzoffset" line 31)
invoked from within
"get_tzoffset $setuptz $daylightsavings"
(procedure "init_db" line 54)
invoked from within
"init_db"
(file "/var/hack/NowShowing.tcl" line 480)
Waiting for an incoming connection!

Oops, i had the older tytools, fixed it now :)

gcrew
03-21-2006, 10:40 AM
When I try to download a file in multiplex mode, I get the "Sorry... Failed to get the first 10 initial chunks..." error. I can download in TyStream mode just fine. However, when I try to download in Multiplex mode or VSplit mode, I get the above error.

I have read the numerous user manuals, including the one at fletchergeek.com. My goal right now, since I am new at this, is to simply get the files for direct burning to DVD, without any editing, until I get more familiar with the program.

So far, only TyStream mode seems to work for me. I have the cygwin.dll file in the same directory as tserver (/var/hack), and I have turned off encryption. Any ideas what I am doing wrong here?

cheer
03-21-2006, 01:27 PM
Your videos are encrypted. You say you can download in TyStream mode, but can you create key files? I bet if you try you'll get the same message.

Videos have to be unencrypted for TyTool to work.

thisbejoe7
04-08-2006, 09:00 PM
Ok, I'm in the same jam. I can see my recordings, and I can download the .ty files to my PC. But when I play them, media player locks up and PowerDVD can't read them either. I get "back chunk"

Sorry... Failed to get the first 10 initial chunks...
Have to have at least that many to start the analysis phase...

Is there any way to unencode the existing recordings? I'm desperate, I'm getting rid of my Tivo and need to get my recordings off without having to "live time" record them to DVD. Any way to do this?

Thanks
Joe

cheer
04-08-2006, 10:26 PM
Search for the "S2_Unscramble" thread.