PDA

View Full Version : New to extraction

Boxersoft
01-22-2006, 11:12 AM
I finally got around to installing TyTools (v10r4) on my hacked UK SA TiVo (o/s 2.5.5). I've managed to download shows as .ty files onto my PC (WinXP sp2) and convert them (using VOB-MUX), create a simple menu etc. I can then point PowerDVD (v5.0) at the VIDEO_TS folder on my hard disk and it plays it just fine. So far so good.

When I burn to DVD (+RW, using NTI CD&DVD Maker Gold v6.7.0.3901), it plays in PowerDVD but suffers from a patchy 'warbling' of the audio. I think think there's a bit of jerkiness in the video at the same time, but the audio is the most noticeable. I gather from the FAQ that I should select one of the "DVD - 48@" settings - I'm currently using 48@160, so hopefully that's OK.

The only other means of playing available to me is my Toshibal DVD player (SD 231-E). That reads the disc and displays the menu, but I can't get it to go on and play the rest of the content.

Apologies if these are very newbie questions, but can anyone nudge me in the right direction? It feels like I'm nearly there, but can't seem to crack these final problems...

Thanks,

SteveR.

hokkers999
02-07-2006, 10:12 PM
Also in the UK, this is what I do...

1. Extract in tytools mode.
2. File, Multiplex (New Format 2)
3. Load the .mpg into videoredo+
4. Cut out whatever bits don't want
5. Save back out setting gop size to 15
6. Load TMPGEnc, create project etc using output saved from stage 5 as the video source file
7. Create DVD files
8. Burn using Nero

Done nearly 70 disks now, every single one plays perfectly in three different SA dvd players

Boxersoft
02-08-2006, 11:34 AM
Thanks for that. I grabbed trial versions of VideoReDo and TMPGEnc and tried to replicate your steps, but I couldn't see how to do step (7). As far as I can see, using 'File|Multiplex(New Format 2)' is generating an MPG rather than a VOB and associated files, and I couldn't see how to get TMPGEnc to write VOBs - it only seems to generate M2V and WAV outputs.

What am I missing here?

hokkers999
02-08-2006, 10:20 PM
Thanks for that. I grabbed trial versions of VideoReDo and TMPGEnc and tried to replicate your steps, but I couldn't see how to do step (7). As far as I can see, using 'File|Multiplex(New Format 2)' is generating an MPG rather than a VOB and associated files, and I couldn't see how to get TMPGEnc to write VOBs - it only seems to generate M2V and WAV outputs.

What am I missing here?

The multiplex does indeed create an .mpg file, which tmpgenc needs as input.

Once you have created your project in tmpgenc, simply click on the button that says "output", pick your directory then click on "begin output".

Wait for a while - how long depends on your pc and how much video you have - what you end up with is the video_ts directory ready to burn to dvd.

cheer
02-09-2006, 12:10 AM
The only thing is, running it through TMPGEnc involves re-encoding, which is unnecessary.

VideoReDo can output VOB files, though not the actual DVD structure. But you can just edit in TyTool, mux to VOB, and burn. But I gather the OP was having problems with that.

To the OP: since the files play fine on your HD before burning, have you tried another burning app? I use Nero...you have to be careful to make sure that Nero isn't trying to re-encode, but it works well for me.

I would suggest only using the TMPGEnc method as a very last resort -- no need to degrade the quality of your video if you don't have to.

Another alternative would be to extract with TyTool and mux to mpg, then bring into VideoReDo to make edits. Save as elementary streams, then pull into DVD-Lab, make your menus, etc., then burn.

hokkers999
02-17-2006, 06:41 PM
The only thing is, running it through TMPGEnc involves re-encoding, which is unnecessary.

VideoReDo can output VOB files, though not the actual DVD structure. But you can just edit in TyTool, mux to VOB, and burn. But I gather the OP was having problems with that.

To the OP: since the files play fine on your HD before burning, have you tried another burning app? I use Nero...you have to be careful to make sure that Nero isn't trying to re-encode, but it works well for me.

I would suggest only using the TMPGEnc method as a very last resort -- no need to degrade the quality of your video if you don't have to.

Another alternative would be to extract with TyTool and mux to mpg, then bring into VideoReDo to make edits. Save as elementary streams, then pull into DVD-Lab, make your menus, etc., then burn.

sorry, my bad, didn't make it clear, i am using TMPGEnc DVD Author and *not* recoding it.

cheer
02-17-2006, 08:53 PM
sorry, my bad, didn't make it clear, i am using TMPGEnc DVD Author and *not* recoding it.
Aha! Sorry, my bad for making a bad assumption when you said "TMPGEnc." :)