PDA

View Full Version : > Now Available: DSR6000 v2.5Xtreme with 1-step Install!!! <

surgeon
11-16-2001, 11:31 AM
Whoa! It seems v2.5 images are everywhere. But here's the one you might really want to look into using...

I have just released from testing a copy of Version 2.5Xtreme for the DSR6000 (also works fine on Hughes GXCEBOT) and will also release a copy for the Sony T-60 later today. What sets this version apart from all the others (and why it's called v2.5Xtreme) is the following:

** v2.5Xtreme is a self-upgrader from v2.0 -> 2.5
---- This means that it is 'universal' and will install on all units regardless of current version and serial#. This also means there's no need to spend hours clearing the unit after installation to be able to record.

** v2.5Xtreme *automatically* upgrades your prom
---- There's no need for you to hassle with upgrading your prom to the BubbaJ "speedstart" version yourself, as this version will do it for you automatically! This means you *don't* have to hack your current software first just to obtain a Bash prompt and upgrade the unit's prom code just to then overwrite the hack with new software.

** v2.5Xtreme installation is a single-step process
---- Install this image on a drive inside your PC; put the drive in your DirecTivo and power it up... Sit back and enjoy the dual tuners! The entire process takes less than 15 minutes to complete!

** v2.5Xtreme is available as a TivoBootDisk .ISO image with self-installer
---- For the ultimate in convenience the image is available both as stand-alone (as a MfsTools image for the do-it-yourselfers) and also as a TivoBootDisk .ISO ready to burn to a CD! And the CD version includes a self-installer which will *automatically* invoke the MfsTools restore *AND* the DirecTivoMad utilities so you can add larger drives in one step!

** v2.5Xtreme already has a Bash prompt enabled on the serial port
---- No need to edit the rc.sysint yourself to obtain a Bash prompt via your serial port, as it's already done for you! Even though you don't have to attach a terminal to your DirecTivo to enjoy this software, it's nice to know you can if you want to!

** v2.5Xtreme already has additional Bash utilities pre-installed
---- If you do get around to using the Bash access it's nice to have a few tools to work with, so things like "ls", "touch", "tail", "chattr", and even the "joe" editor are already pre-installed. And for all the dos/windows users, commands like "dir", "type", "edit", "del", etc., have been 'aliased' to work under Bash...

** v2.5Xtreme has been intensively tested
---- We took an extra few days to "tweak and polish" this release so we can assure you that it works 100%. If you haven't already pulled you hair out trying to get other v2.5 releases to work, then you'll be glad you waited for this one!

Now you're asking yourself, just how much is this v2.5Xtreme release with all it's special features and effortless installation going to cost me? $99.00? (Lower!) $79.00? (Lower!) $59.00? (Ohhhhhh!) NO! For an unlimited time only you can get this amazing software for the unbelievably low price of just $0.00!!! That's right! $0.00!!! And *if you act now* we'll super-size your order so if you want to share it with friends you can do so over and over! (Taxes, licenses, and blank CDRs not included, YMMV.)

If you would like to obtain a copy of v2.5Xtreme, either as an .ISO image or as a stand-alone MfsTools backup, you can PM me here.

If you have a ftp distribution site and would like to host these images for me, PM me and I'll send you the files for you to copy to your ftp server. (I'm *not* going to upload them for you via ftp if access speed is at a crawl!)

-Surgeon-

IWantMyDTV
11-16-2001, 11:52 AM
ROFL

kspades
11-16-2001, 12:02 PM
Just add it to the drop site!

(ftp)
hotbox69.com
user: tivo
pass:tivo

TechnoMage
11-16-2001, 12:06 PM
That made my day, I fell out of my chair laughing. Thanks so much surgeon for all your hard work!!!

Take care.

Galen

NotHere
11-16-2001, 12:12 PM
Do you need to be on 2.0 first for this?

surgeon
11-16-2001, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by NotHere
Do you need to be on 2.0 first for this?
Honestly, it doesn't matter *what* version your DirecTivo contains now. You can even buy a new, off-the-shelf, totally blank hard disk (as long as it's >=30GB) and in about 10 minutes have it booting in your unit! Want more recording space? Then buy 2 new Maxtor or Western Digital 100GB drives; boot the CD; run the install; and 10-15 minutes later you'll have about 185 hours of recording time to fill up! The *ENTIRE* installation process is done in one-step on your PC, then you just connect the drive(s) into your DirecTivo and power it up! It don't get no easier than this folks... Hell, my 11 year old could do it...

-Surgeon-

msg
11-16-2001, 01:15 PM
Is this uploaded anywhere yet?

Im having troubles getting a bash prompt on my new unit and this seems like a great way to get past it.

Thanks

Autodestruct
11-16-2001, 01:18 PM
This sounds great! I was in the process of making an image that would auto-flash the eeprom, but it sounds like you went a whole lot further. The DBD image sounds awesome! Is it on any distribution sites yet? If you have it somewhere I can help move it over to the distro sites..

-AD

Toyman
11-16-2001, 01:22 PM
Nice to see everyone helping each other out! Time to donate some funds to keep this great site going strong!

Aviator
11-16-2001, 01:28 PM
this is great, and horribly wrong both at once.
I can host it for you if needed (I think.. it should be fairly fast, the box is on a 2 meg line)

surgeon
11-16-2001, 02:11 PM
Credits to #tivo!

Before I forget I'd like to say *THANKS* to the great guys over at #tivo for all their help! They may seem to be a bunch of big pricks at first, but once you really get to know a few of them you find out just small their pricks really are after all. I used to think that the reason they never released any Tivo utils or leak any hacks was that they wanted to keep them for themselves, but several members have now confirmed that most of them just ain't sharp enough to release any code that doesn't crash every time it's run.

Turns out that instead of being true l33ts they are really just a bowl of Post mini-l33ts... ;o)

-Surgeon-

PS: The true *ELITES* are the ones you find here, on this board and a few others, sharing the pieces they discover with others so the whole picture comes together. They don't worry if they upset *******s like Tivolutionary or if Tivo becomes the next Microsoft or not. They don't moralize about how everyone should subscribe their units to Tivo... They simply want to fully utilize and make improvements to (like longer recording times, networking, etc...) their Tivos and are willing the *SHARE* their efforts...

So let's all give thanks to the great members of this board like BubbaJ, Chipster, MrBlack51, KRavEN, GoneSilent, Electron, _Formula and many, many others who take the time and make the effort to share!

---- End of soapbox ----

TORTIONAIRE
11-16-2001, 02:12 PM
CAN you swap drives with this???[

QUOTE]Originally posted by surgeon

Honestly, it doesn't matter *what* version your DirecTivo contains now. You can even buy a new, off-the-shelf, totally blank hard disk (as long as it's >=30GB) and in about 10 minutes have it booting in your unit! Want more recording space? Then buy 2 new Maxtor or Western Digital 100GB drives; boot the CD; run the install; and 10-15 minutes later you'll have about 185 hours of recording time to fill up! The *ENTIRE* installation process is done in one-step on your PC, then you just connect the drive(s) into your DirecTivo and power it up! It don't get no easier than this folks... Hell, my 11 year old could do it...

-Surgeon- [/QUOTE]

TechnoMage
11-16-2001, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by surgeon
Credits to #tivo!

Before I forget I'd like to say *THANKS* to the great guys over at #tivo for all their help! .....

<snip>

Turns out that instead of being true l33ts they are really just a bowl of Post mini-l33ts... ;o)

-Surgeon-

PS: The true *ELITES* are the ones you find here, on this board and a few others, sharing the pieces they discover with others so the whole picture comes together. They don't worry if they upset *******s like Tivolutionary or if Tivo becomes the next Microsoft or not. They don't moralize about how everyone should subscribe their units to Tivo...

<snip>

So let's all give thanks to the great members of this board like BubbaJ, Chipster, MrBlack51, KRavEN, GoneSilent, Electron, _Formula and many, many others who take the time and make the effort to share!

---- End of soapbox ----

HERE HERE Surgeon :) . Thank you and all here!!

Take care,

Galen

tron
11-16-2001, 02:22 PM
WOW! Great job, surgeon... Now, HAS this been hosted anywhere yet? I'd be glad to test it out this weekend if it's available...

Keep up the great work, all!

tron

peters62
11-16-2001, 02:35 PM
Now this is a real help for the Linux challenged out there like me I will try almost anything once usally screw it up then get help to figure out what I did wrong things that are fool proof are the best option for me.

Thanks for all the great work and help from everyone that is willing to share there knowledge with the less knowledgeable!!!!!!

Peters62:)

Hoochster
11-16-2001, 03:34 PM
Thanks for all your efforts bud, I am not Linux illeterate but I am no guru by any means, I can usually work my way through things if needed be with guidance usually. But anything to make things easier is a great joy for me. Going to be grabbing me a new 6000 system this weekend and was wondering where I was going to start, guess this sounds like the path! :) Prob pick me up atleast 1 100gb drive to start for now and put it in there with this software. And see what happens, I assume if all goes well and I like it that I can just redo it with both drives and it will work again? Thanks again.. Now to find someplace that has it! :)

Trikx
11-16-2001, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Aviator
this is great, and horribly wrong both at once.
I can host it for you if needed (I think.. it should be fairly fast, the box is on a 2 meg line)

I'll have to second that....it is quite an excellent feat, and I think lots of people will be grateful for it....

...but at the same time, this kinda takes the fun outta everything. (now john q. newbie can do everything without actually having to _learn_ what's going on, which to me is part of the point of hacking this stuff in the first place....)

But I'm just a crusty old hacker purist, I guess....;)

yngdiego
11-16-2001, 04:04 PM
Does anyone have the extreme image hosted? I can't find it anywhere.

kspades
11-16-2001, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Trikx
[B]

...but at the same time, this kinda takes the fun outta everything. (now john q. newbie can do everything without actually having to _learn_ what's going on

Yea, can you imagine the kinda questions we're gonna get now?
Hey I've hacked 6 tivos already, can someone tell me what's DBD, and where do I find it? Aye! :(

Hoochster
11-16-2001, 04:28 PM
But Trix, this way people can still hack and for those that don't want to screw it up till later have options too hehe! I love to hack, but want to get it up and running first and then start to play with it. So I still plan on learning it and hacking it but want the best route to get running the best way first. I too am looking all over the place for this. Hotbox69 is swamped poor guy hehe! So anybody else that might know where to get this iso I would be greatly appreciative. I have T1! :)

Ellipse
11-16-2001, 04:29 PM
The real question is "How can they do this?!?"

The answer is VOLUME!

;)

kheflw
11-16-2001, 04:44 PM
I just got back into HotBox but there is nothing new there, or I dont see it.

And Thennn?

msg
11-16-2001, 04:45 PM
So I'm a newbie, and have been struggling for 3 days now to get my tivo up and running. Finally got to the bash prompt today and am still having troubles uploading the files.. So now my question is do I go ahead and continue the manual path or wait for this to be uploaded somewhere?

I've been looking and waiting all day for someone to post a link to it... anyone have any ideas where to find it?

Toyman
11-16-2001, 04:48 PM
Just be cool, the file will show up. We all should be happy that it will be shared with us.

msg
11-16-2001, 04:57 PM
I'm happy! So happy that I'd be willing to donate some $$ if I could get my tivo up and running!

wilbanks
11-16-2001, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Trikx

...but at the same time, this kinda takes the fun outta everything. (now john q. newbie can do everything without actually having to _learn_ what's going on, which to me is part of the point of hacking this stuff in the first place....)

But I'm just a crusty old hacker purist, I guess....;)

I don't usually respond to this kind of thing, and I'm hoping this is just a joke, but, this comment just struck me wrong.

A real purist would create his own prom instead of doing it the easy way by using BubbaJ's, a real purist won't use the mfstools & DirecTivoMad, you can access the partition table manually those tools make it "easy". For that matter compilers are unnecessary , my development started in assembly, why should the late arivers get to use scripts & built in functions?

The real purists are the people who keep micro$oft going by making linux complicated instead of making it something that I could give my mother. (So that people will have to learn)

Power to the people! Make it easy!

Big Kudos go to Surgeon, I can't wait til I get home from vacation to try it. I'm 100% behind making it easy!

What's next? I'd like to see tivonet/tivoweb ready image. I've already got an unused cat5 line going to each tivo, but, I'm over my length limit for running serial to get to computers.

Neutronflux
11-16-2001, 05:33 PM
Amazing Work Surgeon -- you guys never cease to impress...
I'm sure this is going to help even more people!

Neutron

flipsoft
11-16-2001, 06:00 PM
Let me start by telling you people what the problem with this is... and I sure hope it does not get released!

Problems:
1. The person that uses this image without learning misses out simply misses out.

2. Also the person that uses this will not know what to do when $@@# happens and they will in the end up get screwed by using this since every install will be identical. This will make it a whole lot easier for DTV and TIVO to counter since they know every tool you put on there and how to use it against your modifications. (If you are smart you would secure your Tivo box. This is a fair warning! Lock the sucker down!)

3. This is illegal. Tivo has not yet been proactive about getting people that are stealing their service but since this will drastically increase the amount of users they will NOT be able to look the other direction anymore.

Responses:

Willbanks-
I don't usually respond to this kind of thing...blah..blah.blah...,The real purists are the people who keep micro$oft going by making linux complicated instead of making it something that I could give my mother. (So that people will have to learn)

First, please do not post this kind of crap.

Second if linux is more complcated then Microsoft's strategy then you are smoking crack. I have been using both Unix based machines and Microsoft since they were created. Microsloth has changed directions about 8 times since it's conseption.

Third, The security holes in Microsoft software is so horrible. I feel sorry for you when you go along with this Microsoft .NET strategy. It is already way to easy to get people's identities and information. This makes it even worse.

Fourth, If you want to give something to your mother give her a Mac. It will do everything she needs.

continued....

Aviator
11-16-2001, 06:05 PM
I mean, I'll download it and dick with it, I'm curious...

but like PGM, he isn't going to support emu cubes anymore because that's BS if you can't even build a pc and put the hardware together to emu you're defeated the purpose for him writing the software, to _learn_

NOT TO GET SHIT FOR FREE.
I pay for my DTV, as I'm sure a lot of you do. But I still emulate and dick around with it constantly. Tivo the jury's out on, I may not subscribe because I hardly watch tv as odd as that sounds :)

I'm with the others here, I spent a whole night trying to upload the prom, from say 6pm to 3am. Updates the prom and spent 2 days finding a working image so I could watch tv (ya it seems 2.01 won't boot on the hacked prom, who knew *shrug*) so then I spent another night from 9pm to 4am backing up, restoring and doing fixup along ith an erase (**** that takes forever) it didn't go smooth by any means, it's frustrating, time consuming, and a lot of fun.. could probably do another one in less than an hour.

..and I know linux... those of you that don't have 3 times the stuff to learn that I did

flipsoft
11-16-2001, 06:18 PM
continued....

MSG:
It is good that you are taking the time to learn this. Everything takes time and it should or else it would not be worth doing. If you do use this image please learn about what they did after you installed it.

surgeon:
This is an excellent job. Many of us here would like to know the HOW?

And lastly....

I know people will get butthurt over this post. Well I'm sorry...But...no...wait...screw you!

flipsoft

I know I feel like being as ass today!

Toyman
11-16-2001, 07:09 PM
Yes lets not help anyone anymore , flipsoft. Your a team player.:D

Rant
11-16-2001, 07:25 PM
I right with you bro. I had posted earlier that we've been pretty much under the radar with our doings, but in one week we've a)circumvented the anti-hack protection in 2.5, allowing people to use dual tuners without paying for service, b)found a way to get multiple locals, as many as we want, c)created an easy way so that any Schmoe that can plug in an IDE cable can have a hacked Tivo/DirecTV receiver. Needless to say, we're probably now a very large blip on that radar screen, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a pretty large ECM and/or software updates over the satellite if the powers that be are pissed enough.

EDIT: I don't mean to crap all over the excellent work surgeon and his crew put into this software, it sounds like an incredible "product". It's unfortunate that such a cool thing is probably going to lead to severe consequences for out little community.

Toyman
11-16-2001, 07:45 PM
As I said earlier: We should not help anyone anymore,problem sloved!;) Any info we give out here can hurt us in the long run. I sure don,t want to loose my free tivo service, screw the rest of you, I have it and you won,t. Thats a great attitude! O well....:rolleyes:

synthesis
11-16-2001, 07:56 PM
there's a pretty big difference between helping somebody figure it out for themselves and giving them the entire package in an *****'s-guide-to-tivo-hacking. Keep that in mind.

IMHO, if you want to hack your tivo, you should do it yourself. Ask questions, slave away. Don't hold out your empty hand and demand it be given to you to pre-built and dummy-proofed.

I would love to have the pre-built ISO, but then again I've already completed the hack. It would be a nice time-saver if I need to repeat it. Thus a convenience- but not a necessity.

Keeping it tough also minimizes the spread- which keeps our community under tivo's radar. If you want to join- take the time to learn HOW to do these things. It isn't impossible and doesn't require a PhD to execute. Some very smart people have already figured out the hard parts. The rest just requires patience and persistence. Not even a technical background, and no threads are being deleted so the info is always there.

Which is pretty much what flipsoft is saying. Think about before accusing him of abandoning you. At least he took the time to do the hack himself.

Rael
11-16-2001, 08:46 PM
Has anyone even seen the iso image yet?

kspades
11-16-2001, 09:29 PM
Im an ass everyday, and make no appologies for it....
As we speak I'm restoring _Formula's clean image to my Hughes dTivo...the prom update went fine, A drive is coorporating, and so far this image looks good..I'll keep you guys posted.

Surgeon: Good job@

Nubies: Read Read Read...trust me, its alot more fun when you actually know whats going on, and trust me I will flame if you post stupid nubie questions w/o reading the threads.

surgeon
11-16-2001, 09:36 PM
***** SORRY FOR THE DELAYS IN SENDING THE 25XTREME FILES *****

I was 'on call' today and thought it would be a perfect time to play on the computer all day. However, as usual, 'on-call' really means 'come-on-down', 'cause sure 'nuff they had an emergency situation and I had to go do some *real* work!

I'm pouring over the multitudes of PM's I've gotten right now trying to find a few with ftp sites so I can point many of you to various sites... Bear with me a couple more hours... It's on it's way... really... ;o)

-Surgeon-

hwac
11-16-2001, 09:48 PM
I think thatís the pot callin the kettle black

Do you think any of this is what they had intended (Tivo) larger hard drives, net board, streaming video, it's all hacking no mater what you call it

Flipsoft wrote:

2. Also the person that uses this will not know what to do when $@@# happens and they will in the end up get screwed by using this since every install will be identical. This will make it a whole lot easier for DTV and TIVO to counter since they know every tool you put on there and how to use it against your modifications. (If you are smart you would secure your Tivo box. This is a fair warning! Lock the sucker down!)

As for you, did you not have a server hosting 2 installs last nite what makes that any different??????

Toyman wrote:

Yes lets not help anyone anymore, flipsoft. Your a team player

I hope your not using a emu on your dtivo because if thatís the case you better go kiss PGM butt because if he had your attitude you would not be watching anything.

I've read all the posts in here every night, there are some very talented people on this forum and if they want to show off their skills by the way Surgeon does thatís his choice, why burst his bubble. Don't turn this into a have and a have not game, there are people that want to do this but don't have the skills

Oh and P.S I have a dump of the full prom 2.01 and 2.5 so if your system goes funky you could reload it if you had the right tools (forgot not suppose to help anyone anymore stupid me)

Let the Flaming Begin

Toyman
11-16-2001, 09:58 PM
Great post there, hwac! You hit the nail on the head. I agree with you 100%. I have my system running but I like new toys, don,t we all?? Come on Guys: Didn,t your mother teach you to share? :D

IWantMyDTV
11-16-2001, 10:03 PM
Burp

IWantMyDTV
11-16-2001, 10:10 PM
If you knew anything, you'd know that the guys you are talking to right now had a public part in figuring it out. Where were you?

Now, why would they publicly help if they didn't want anyone else to do it? Do you know how many assloads of newbies like you they have posted suggestions and help for?

Yeah they're ****ers. Never helped anyone. Damn non team players. They should be shot.

BTW - I'm the real *******. Get it straight.

Edited at the request of toy ;)

BubbleLamp
11-16-2001, 10:15 PM
I'm not *nix guru, but I've done my homework and have been running an EMU for a while, and before that scripts. I asked when I needed help, and did the rest on my own. Same thing when I expanded my SA Tivo. I've been collecting info here to do the mods I want on my DSR6000 when it arrives next week, and planned to do most of the work manually as it was originally being disseminated. But if someone tells me they have eliminated most of the work, should I ignore it and force myself to take the more difficult road? That's like saying you should ride your bicycle everywhere because you didn't design and build your own car. And don't think for a minute that DAVE and Tivo aren't already reading all the posts here and elsewhere. You're only kidding yourself if you think you're "under the radar". So why not just chill a little. Those that want to learn will still do their best to do so, no matter how easy the task becomes. I salute surgeon, and don't think his efforts dilute the work of others one bit.

IWantMyDTV
11-16-2001, 10:23 PM
Don't get me wrong.

Anyone who didn't know that this would eventually happen, raise your hand.

I thought so.

wyatts
11-16-2001, 10:39 PM
I really don't understand what's going on here. Some people seem to think that you have to "earn" the right to hack your tivo. Everyone brings different skills to the table, to think that one should not be allowed to use the hacks here because they don't rise to the level of those who, by following rather explicit instructions, have been able to hack their tivo's is extremely arrogant. I hacked my tivo by following the directions here and learned some unix code along the way, but it was not fun and I have no further use for it outside of tivo.
Those of you that think that the great work that surgeon did should not be posted, I have just one question: Did you hack tivo yourself or did you follow information posted here by someone else. Just 'cause you know a little bit of unix doesn't make you a hacker nor more deserving than the rest, it just makes you arrogant.

GREAT WORK SURGEON, I applaud you!

yngdiego
11-16-2001, 10:51 PM
Bravo! Let's see the post. If you want to hack it the 'hard' way, go for it. But some of us want easier/quicker methods. I also don't want to end up with a toasted Tivo.

bondo
11-16-2001, 11:02 PM
Most of us are already running 2.0x hacked anyways, you think tivo really sees that big a difference going from 2.0x to 2.5? I don't think so, they're losing money either way. Thanks Surgeon, for the hard work! as well as all the other true hackers that made this possible.

wyatts
11-16-2001, 11:14 PM
As far as I'm concerned, there's a huge difference between hacking tivo and hacking DTV. DTV is providing programming, TIVO is just providing the hardware and software. When I buy a TIVO, the box is mine to do with as I please. If I want to change the software then thats my choice. Dtivo is not dialing into the tivo website and downloading programming information, it's getting it off DTV which I am paying for. This is no different than purchasing any other piece of software and making chages to it and then telling everybody else how to do it. Seems quite legal to me.

Nigel
11-16-2001, 11:15 PM
And some of us here in Canada are finally deciding to jump in now because 2.5 hack is what we have been waiting for first. (Man I want that PIP feature):D

Ellipse
11-16-2001, 11:23 PM
Now as an actual DirecTV subscriber AND TiVo Lifetime subscription holder (paid in full and not past due, either!) I am still going to use the patches to LEARN more about my TiVo and Linux. I have been beating my head against the keyboard because I cannot get a BASH prompt to work with the 2.0.0 image I was able to find.

I have done the research.
I have attempted the patches.
I have been successful at all but one.

THANK YOU to all the people that have helped me and others along the way. Without you, this forum would be a very quiet place and we would all be out there going "Gee, I wish I could figure out a way to make more out of this computer on my TV."

If people want to use this setup to steal DirecTV, they can do that already using a multitude of devices and software. I do not condem the people that make bricks for the ability it gives people to use them to throw at windows so people can break into my home and steal my DirecTiVo. A tool is a tool. How it is used it up to the people that wield it.

THANK YOU surgeon and friends that have put all the effort into such a compilation of tools. It was about time a "toolbox" was made, complete with instructions. I was building the same thing on my own, but since yours works (Haven't gotten it yet, so I am assuming here, and you know what that means!) I will not have to duplicate the effort by reinventing the wheel.

As for those of you who are worried about the powers that be launching the bomb at our precious DirecTiVos, we ALL take that risk by making the slightest changes to the system. We know that this means that they will no longer support you completely if they choose. I do believe, however, that since they have been a great company that has done a lot to embrace the community of people that their product has created, rather then throw them into the ground and beat them up, TiVo will still be there for those of us that have been their greatest ally in their quest for sales and growth by continuing to tell our friends, family, and neighbors to get the product and ACTUALLY PAY for the service.

Happy hacking!

remmington
11-16-2001, 11:31 PM
I got 2 dsr6k's and i'm gonna hack em both ( so help me I will!!:). It would be nice to have 1 extreme'd to compare with what i do manually.

@ 99 bucks i think most will do the same and some day soon theres gonna be another new hack to master.

Rem.

remmington
11-16-2001, 11:37 PM
P.S I think the price for lifetime service is pretty reasonable as long as its our lifetime not theirs....I'm willing to pay...

But im gonna hack it anyway:D

wyatts
11-16-2001, 11:46 PM
I think that tivo charging for service is akin to a vcr with vcr-plus charging a subscription service. I could understand it when the system had to dial into a website to download the guide, but if it is taking the guide data off the satellite (where it already exists) then where's the service? It's just like what Microsoft wants to do with their software, pay as you use it. Let's face it guys, there is no service with DTIVO, It's just a hard disk recorder running some pretty simple software.

IWantMyDTV
11-16-2001, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Nigel
And some of us here in Canada are finally deciding to jump in now because 2.5 hack is what we have been waiting for first. (Man I want that PIP feature):D

There are dual tuners, but NO PIP. Sorry to burst your bubble. On a side note, tivo can add PIP to future models. There is a place on the current motherboards for another decoder. (But no chip :( )

remmington
11-16-2001, 11:58 PM
Wyatt I agree but it's their product, pay if you want it, don't if you don't want it.

But theres a lot of people here that like it one way or other.

I still prefer the Mac....but i got both!

Nigel
11-17-2001, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by IWantMyDTV

There are dual tuners, but NO PIP. Sorry to burst your bubble. On a side note, tivo can add PIP to future models. There is a place on the current motherboards for another decoder. (But no chip :( )

Oh, Ok then. Well you still can record one channel while watching another right? Thats good enough for now I guess?

zx7r
11-17-2001, 12:38 AM
Has anyone gotten the 2.5 Extreme files yet?
I havent heard one way or another.

Please post an ftp.

or you could always help out by sharing and up it to

jamda.org
l/p upload/upload

thanks,

zx7r

flipsoft
11-17-2001, 12:43 AM
Just to clarify....

I am not saying to people "not to share" but i am saying simply...

"Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime."

That about sums it up!

flipsoft

peters62
11-17-2001, 12:54 AM
flipsoft you are very very true but also think about this you may need to feed him a fish or two while he is learning how to fish or he may starve to death before he learns how.

I have donated to DealDatabase have you?:)

zx7r
11-17-2001, 12:54 AM
flipsoft,

I was fishing in your pond but I didnt see any fish in the water.
Maybe I will look for another pond *shrug*

zx7r :)

flipsoft
11-17-2001, 01:08 AM
What if you feed him crap after the first fish? Will that make him want to learn how to fish faster?

TechnoMage
11-17-2001, 02:28 AM
Allright, enough about fish, I'm starving......

palo
11-17-2001, 03:00 AM
What size was the A drive this backup was made from? 30, 40, ??gb?

palo
11-17-2001, 03:13 AM
What size was the A drive this backup was made from? 30, 40, ??gb?

TDW
11-17-2001, 05:02 AM
Can someone send me a link to download this.

Surgeon your mailbox is full.

flipsoft
11-17-2001, 05:58 AM
Palo
It was a 40 gb single drive dsr6000r
flipsoft

surgeon
11-17-2001, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by flipsoft
Palo
It was a 40 gb single drive dsr6000r
flipsoft

Palo,

No. It's a 30GB divorced dual-drive image. The reason you wouldn't want to post a 40GB image is that it couldn't be restored to a smaller drive. So if someone had a dual-drive system and just want the new software a 40GB image wouldn't work for them. With the current toolset you can always expand the drive's MFS size but you can't shrink it.

In the case where someone is upgrading a single-drive system (with a 40GB drive) my 1-step installation program let's them expand the MFS to the drive's full capacity.

-Surgeon-

TechnoMage
11-17-2001, 01:18 PM
Makes perfect sense to me.

yngdiego
11-17-2001, 01:30 PM
But where can we get the 1-step extreme image?

surgeon
11-17-2001, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by yngdiego
But where can we get the 1-step extreme image?

You can *NOW* grab your copy by looking in this link:

DSR6000 v2.5Xtreme with 1-step Install (http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4768)

Enjoy...

-Surgeon-

Chance
11-17-2001, 03:11 PM
what was the checksum you received for the file(s) surgeon? I don't have good one yet but in case I somehow do happen to pull a [COLOR=blue][B][I][SIZE=3][FONT=century gothic]Harry Potter !!

groundhog
11-17-2001, 03:26 PM
Palo,

No. It's a 30GB divorced dual-drive image. The reason you wouldn't want to post a 40GB image is that it couldn't be restored to a smaller drive. So if someone had a dual-drive system and just want the new software a 40GB image wouldn't work for them. With the current toolset you can always expand the drive's MFS size but you can't shrink it.

According to the latest Hinsdale guide that I read, a Direct TV "A" drive can not be expanded beyond it's original recording capacity. IF true, it's a good thing I just bought an extra drive. If this image works, at this point I can deal with losing 10 hours if I can just get the damm thing working.

Nigel
11-17-2001, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by IWantMyDTV

I knew I saw one of these systems with active PIP, the ultimate TV dual direct/ultimate combo system DS4290RE has PIP on it. Wow, one up for Ultimate tv over tivo. GO FIGURE!!!!!!

surgeon
11-19-2001, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by groundhog
According to the latest Hinsdale guide that I read, a Direct TV "A" drive can not be expanded beyond it's original recording capacity.

Hinsdale doesn't have the FAQ updated to include all the new "toys" I've made available on this CD... Yes, Drive "A" *CAN* be expanded... You can install 2 100GB drives and obtain 185 hours of DTV recording time...

-Surgeon-

Glitched
11-19-2001, 02:02 PM
i hope this question hasnt already been answered (ive been out of the loop for a while ;) ) this upgrade would reimage my entire drive? correct? so i would loose all my current recordings? or does it just copy the upgrade partition so i could "upgrade" ??

P.S.
exelent work surgeon!!! 10/10

P.P.S i know this wont workon my t-60 (just glancd at my signature and thought i may have been mistaken for an ***** ;)

surgeon
11-19-2001, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by Glitched
i hope this question hasnt already been answered (ive been out of the loop for a while ;) ) this upgrade would reimage my entire drive? correct? so i would loose all my current recordings? or does it just copy the upgrade partition so i could "upgrade" ??

P.S.
exelent work surgeon!!! 10/10

P.P.S i know this wont workon my t-60 (just glancd at my signature and thought i may have been mistaken for an ***** ;)

This is a 'fresh start' usable on even new, blank hard drives...

As such, any recordings you have now would be overwritten...

You can kinda think of this as re-formating a drive to then upgrade the os...

-Surgeon-

PS: *HOWEVER* I've been allowed to leak the possibility of someone here releasing an upgrade version... No time frame as yet...

Glitched
11-19-2001, 04:06 PM
awesome, thanks for the fast reply... i think im going to just bite the bullet and start from scratch anyhow.... a clean install is always good... any ETA on the t60 disk ??? thanks again for all your hard work surgeon

Busmike
11-21-2001, 08:57 AM
After using an Ultimate TV setup for a while now, I'm gearing up to try TIVO. I've bought a standalone and am getting ready to set it up. I've read that 2.5 is unhackable..... but then this (and other) recent threads seem to indicate a breakthrough.

Great work Surgeon! (and everyone else involved!)

Now, in 25 words or less.... can any part of 2.5Xtreme be used to allow V2.5 on a standalone TIVO?

mrblack51
11-21-2001, 02:05 PM
no need for 2.5xtreme on a standalone box. they aren't locked out like the directivos are. just let the box upgrade, then hack away.

Busmike
11-21-2001, 07:29 PM
Thank you for the answer sir!
I've gotten the impression from what I've read so far that 2.5 was unhackable and if I wanted to hack a sub into my standalone I should stay with 2.01 at the most. I guess that is what I was trying to ask above.

Are you saying fixup will work on it if it's @ 2.5?

mrblack51
11-21-2001, 07:49 PM
ok, we may be talking about 2 different things:

DirecTiVo - Philips DSR6000, Sony SAT-T60, Hughes GEXEBOT
all dTiVo's get guide data off of the satellite, the only thing they use the phone line for is subscription related stuff. pre 2.5 boxes get tivolution and showcases from the phone call
2.0 - no special stuff needed
2.0.1 - chattr needed
2.5 - hacked prom and kernel needed

Stand-Alone TiVo's - Any other tivo
all versions of the software download everything off of the phone call, including guide data. the activation scripts like fixup will run, but will only enable digital vcr-like functionality. no version of the stand-alone stuff requires anything special to mess with.

groundhog
11-22-2001, 04:39 AM
2.0 - no special stuff needed
2.0.1 - chattr needed

Now you tell me! I spent so much damm time trying to find those chattr files, copy them to the right place, set up the commands correctly & I WAS USING 2.0 all along!!! :( Well, at least I learned something....Now who knows if I even did it right. :o

hayreass
11-28-2001, 07:00 PM
looked through this whole thread, and am still curious. Does this hack disable the calling in nag? Just got a hughes directivo, and am thinking about giving tivo a try. been doing h and hu's in normal receivers for a while, but played with a friends legit tivo, and really liked it.

groundhog
12-01-2001, 02:50 PM
looked through this whole thread, and am still curious. Does this hack disable the calling in nag? Just got a hughes directivo, and am thinking about giving tivo a try.

No, it just makes it a whole Hell of a lot easier to do to get a 2.5 software Tivo & dual tuners & Hack it for No call nag, if you like. If you don't care about dual tuners, you can just do the hack on a machine with 2.0, if you like.

Surgeon Thanks! Did my first hack with Exteem & It was soooo much easier than without it. It went flawlessly.

P.S. One thing confused me. It asked, do you have a 140gig drive. I was expecting a question about a 40 gig drive, and this caused a little confusion. I have a 40 gig drive, so I answered "No", hoping it wasn't a typo. Everything went great.

misato
12-01-2001, 05:36 PM
Surgeon: Thank you! By all accounts, 25Xtreme is excellent work, to the point that I spent the full 20 hours to download it. (I'm on dialup at the moment.)

I'll let you know it's had one major effect on my thinking: I'm now shopping around for a DirecTivo to have given to me for Xmas. (I've been waiting to see which unit, Tivo or Replay will first be hacked to the point I'm willing to spend the money on one. This has decided me, and Tivo has just made a sale as a direct result of your efforts.)

One question. I do not want my unit calling in. DirecTv doesn't absolutely insist a receiver do so if you're willing to give up PPV, and I never use PPV anyway. If I buy the lifetime service pack from Tivo, do they let me off the hook from calling in? Or do they insist anyway, so they can send me their magazine and such? (In effect holding my lifetime sub hostage to ther access to my PVR?) If so, I'll set about doing the call-in hack as well. 2.5 Extreme and that, just as soon as my unit outlives its warranty...

yngdiego
12-01-2001, 07:10 PM
You need to let your DTivo dial in every 28 days, or it will stop working. To get around this you can run the fixup02c script, which will fool your tivo into thinking it's subscribed. After the first dial in the showcase will work from the sat stream. But it needs to dial in to Tivo once.

Another option is to put a toll blocker on the line. This will prevent the DTivo from calling DirectTV, but will allow the box to call the local Tivo line for that information. I think Radio Shack has such items.

But if you are using EMU, or other DirectTV hacks, you shouldn't let the box dial in at all. Some have even suggested that if you have a hacked 2.5 PROM, you shouldn't let it call Tivo.

misato
12-01-2001, 10:28 PM
I feel companies delivering an honest service should be paid fairly, so I'm not emulating or anything like that at the moment. I do object to them charging way-way more than the difference cost for more HD, so I'll install more HD the unofficial way...with 2.5Extreme. Likewise I'll pay monthly or lifetime for the Tivo service, but I don't see that as incompatible with running the script to thwart dialing in later. I feel that once they've been paid, I'm free to do what I want with my signal, and they have no (legitimate) grounds for complaint.

Now, when/if Dave tells me I can't watch this local, but am required to watch that local instead (I'm paying for and getting NY/LA locals now), *then* maybe they'll anger me enough to get into emulating, etc. So for now, I don't have a big problem with it dialing Tivo once to get things started. But if they abuse that information, then the gloves are off...

BTW, is anyone working to discover what that first dialin to Tivo does to enable the magazine, etc? I'm assuming that the effect of that call will go away when I apply 25Extreme, as it initializes the HDs completely.

b23
12-02-2001, 12:50 PM
im a dealbatabase virgin, so please be gentle.

i have been readinbg the threads now for a few weeks and reading about the 25xtreme.iso with 1 step install (THANKS BE TO SURGEON) and i had just a couple questions that i cant seem to find the answers to pertaining to the 25xtreme 1 step.

with this upgrade/install will i also get:

1) "season passes" or "wish list" functionality? or is that only with a sub?

2) will i also get all the locals? ( i know there are separate hacks for that, but wanted to know if it too was in the 25xtreme 1 step install)

3) canadiancardcleaners.com offers a service that does all this for $299, but can i do all this myself with 25xtreme automatically? (Im dos/windows literate (9+years) but linux retarded) id rather save the $299 if he is using the same thing and having it done in 15 minutes, yknow?

thanks again for any help. and thanks to all the people that make this possible. keep up the great work!

:D

hwac
12-02-2001, 01:11 PM
http://www.canadiancardcleaner.com/tivo.html sorry for the url but i want people to see this $hit

I hate scumbags like this.

$799.00us what a joke???????? They should be ashamed to even put this up on there site. I hope people see through the smoke and mirrors.

If they do sell this stuff they should give credit were credit is do , as well as some $$$ to the people that found how to do this . I really hate people like this .

groundhog
12-02-2001, 03:29 PM
3) canadiancardcleaners.com offers a service that does all this for $299, but can i do all this myself with 25xtreme automatically?

I think you're confused. I assumed the same thing, when I first read the post about extreem. It adds 2.5 software & helps you to avoid having to flash the prom via a seriel connection. After you do this, if you still want the service hack, you still need to Hack the unit yourself.

b23
12-02-2001, 05:37 PM
thanks groundhog.

with the subscription for the tivo "fixed-up", can i use the "season Pass" and "wish list"? or are these features done through the phone line?

thanks again.

dsboyce8624
12-02-2001, 05:56 PM
GroundHog, no you don't. Maybe you should read up more.

Dennis

groundhog
12-02-2001, 07:06 PM
From the readme:
Within 2-5 minutes (most of which is database rebuilding) you're up and
running! Goto satellite setup to enable the dual tuner support and set your
correct dialup phone# if you're a Tivo subscriber. Sit back and watch TV!

I figured that based on this statment, it was saying to set it up to call in. Also all of the ***bullets at the begining of the readme don't mention the service hack. Also, they are talking about this, a little, at the AVS forum, like it's a legit way to install 2.5. If it had anything to do with the service hack, I would assume it would be totally banned there.

I guess maybe I made a bunch of false assumptions.

dsboyce8624
12-02-2001, 07:37 PM
Like I said, find surgeons posts, and read them all carefully.

<wink, wink>

Dennis