PDA

View Full Version : Can never get audio to work...

Fargelsnot
01-30-2006, 08:32 AM
Hi all,

I'm using TyTool10r4 to pull some shows off of my HR10-250. I Multiplex the file, and when I go to play the MPG file in windows media player, the audio never works. I've tried this with a few different shows, but the same result. Each show always reports back "Detected Audio Stream Type: Dolby Digital 5.1". Now I suppose it's because windows media player doesn't have the right codec to decode that audio, but everywhere I look on the forum, I haven't found any way to do it - but I'm sure there are tons of you guys out there doing it. Anyways, I was hoping someone could get me on the right track. I've been interested in doing extractions, but could never get over this audio problem in the past. Please help!

Thanks

captain_video
01-30-2006, 09:38 AM
You might want to try using a codec that's better suited for your purpose like WinDVD or PowerDVD. They work fine for playing back tympegs.

cheer
01-30-2006, 12:58 PM
If the file has AC3, then you need to install an AC3 audio codec. Hit google; free ones exist.

Fargelsnot
01-30-2006, 06:33 PM
Gee - that was easy! Thanks for the responses - I did download a free AC3 codec, and that did the trick, but I think I will try PowerDVD or something... as Windows Media seemed to be having some issues where the screen would go blank for a while, then when it came back, the audio and video were out of sync, and the video was playing really fast to catch up to the audio - but then it was fine - so I don't know....

Again, thanks for the help guys

BustedSony
01-30-2006, 07:27 PM
but I think I will try PowerDVD or something... as Windows Media seemed to be having some issues where the screen would go blank for a while, then when it came back, the audio and video were out of sync, and the video was playing really fast to catch up to the audio - but then it was fine - so I don't know....

If you had installed Sound Forge or such it installs the MainConcept codec, which behaves as you describe with 480X480 mpeg2.

cheer
01-30-2006, 09:13 PM
Also, FYI Windows Media Player sucks dead camels through a straw. I find Media Player Classic behaves a lot better.