PDA

View Full Version : Play Extractions in Quicktime on Mac?

Zak0
02-04-2006, 12:00 AM
Is there a codec or something to allow ty files to play in Quicktime on the Mac? Yes, I know there is VLC but I want to watch videos in FrontRow on my new Intel Mac.

Thanks!
-Zak

snoots
02-04-2006, 10:57 AM
http://www.tivotool.com/down/down.html

Zak0
02-04-2006, 01:18 PM
That appears to be for streaming videos from the Tivo. I prefer to extract the videos (for burning to DVD) and am looking for something like TyShow that lets me view the .ty files I have extracted. Only TyShow is for Windows, obviously. :)

Thanks!
-Zak

ReidWings
02-04-2006, 03:29 PM
That appears to be for streaming videos from the Tivo. I prefer to extract the videos (for burning to DVD) and am looking for something like TyShow that lets me view the .ty files I have extracted. Only TyShow is for Windows, obviously. :)

Thanks!
-Zak

Tivotool lets you save programs from your tivo as well, as long as vserver is running on the tivo. It lets you choose the video format too: .ty, .mpg, divx, etc.

Zak0
02-08-2006, 01:58 AM
Doesn't help me with all of the .ty files I have extracted in the past obviously. :)

I also have a bunch of XviD files I've re-encoded from Tivo-extracted source. I just mux the XviD video with the original audio and it plays fine on my Windows machines (with ffdshow) and on my Xbox (with XBMC). With the latest beta DivX codec installed (the one for the Intel Macs), I can get XviD video in FrontRow - but no audio.

Anyhow, being able to view my .ty files or my XviD files either one on my new Mac using FrontRow would kick major ass. Right now, VLC is working but isn't nearly as cool...

Thanks,
-Zak

mjhorv
02-12-2006, 11:51 AM
If you want to play files in quicktime you need to convert them to mpeg4 or get mpeg 2 playback compenent from apple which is 20 dollars. if you need to convert files on your mac you can use ff mpeg.

vb_baysider
03-05-2006, 10:25 PM
I've installed ffmpegX and have grbbed a couple .ty files off my Phillips Series 1 using mfs_ftp.

I can play a .ty file in ffmpegX, but I am unable to convert formats. I keep getting the error:

/Users/Marty/Tivo/<showname>.ty: Unknown format

So, despite being able to open the file, recognize the TiVo format, and play it, ffmpegX is telling me it's an "unknown format". Anyone seen this before?