PDA

View Full Version : Transferring from a Series 1 to a Series 2

jgalak
02-07-2006, 10:40 AM
Forgive the newbie question, but I've been digging through the threads andhave been unable to figure out the answer.

I have an old SA series 1 (Sony SVR2000) with 2 HDs - the original 30Gb as A, and a 100Gb as B. It's full of recordings. Other than the drive upgrade, it is unmodified.

I now have a new SA series 2 (Tivo 40hr) with 2 HDs - the original 40Gb as A, and a 400Gb as B. It's mostly empty, but has some recordings, and is on the network. Other than the drive upgrade, it is unmodified.

I want to move my recordigns from the S1 to the S2. However, I'd like to do this without any sort of modification to either unit - I don't want to install any software on the Tivos, and I don't want to put hardware into the S1.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to pull the S1 drives, put them in my desktop (windows box), and pull the recordings somehow. Then, using TivoToGo I'd like to push them back into the S2. Is this possible? Alternatively, I'd be willing to pull the S2 drives as well, and put the recordings on them directly.

I don't have a linux box, so if that's required, I'd have to either use a friends' or use a bootable CD (suggestions?).

I've used Linux before and am moderately comfortable in it, but hardly an expert. The only Tivo stuff I've done is the 2 drive upgrades.

Thank you.

Jamie
02-07-2006, 11:06 AM
I want to move my recordigns from the S1 to the S2. However, I'd like to do this without any sort of modification to either unit - I don't want to install any software on the Tivos, and I don't want to put hardware into the S1.I'm not an S1 expert, but AFAIK, this isn't possible with any existing tools. The shows on the S1 are scrambled, and the only way to unscramble them is by hacking the S1, or playing them back through the analog outputs. An analog copy may be the best you can do given your requirements.

cheer
02-07-2006, 12:05 PM
I thought I had read that S1 SA units didn't scramble, only the DTivos.

If that's the case, you could use some tools to pull the files off of the S1 to your PC, massage them into mpg files, and then put them to the S2 via TTG.

Jamie
02-07-2006, 12:27 PM
I thought I had read that S1 SA units didn't scramble, only the DTivos.

If that's the case, you could use some tools to pull the files off of the S1 to your PC, massage them into mpg files, and then put them to the S2 via TTG.Maybe so. I see that Riley said that here (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?p=135040#post135040), but he also later edited the post to stay that the information was now somewhat obsolete. There is an S1 nocso patch for 3.1.0c2 (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31213). Is that a dtivo only release?

In any case, here's (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?p=201494#post201494) the info on pc side extraction. ciphercheck is in the mfs-utils package too, and can be used to find out if your shows are scrambled or not.

captain_video
02-07-2006, 12:46 PM
S1 SA Tivos do not scramble the video. The nocso patch only applies to DTivo models. AFAIK there is no such patch for the S1 DTivos. Ciphercheck is not required for the S1 SA models.

I know there is an issue with the audio when going from a S1 DTivo to a S2 Tivo or vice versa but I don't know if there's an issue with the S1 SA models in particular. I believe there's an old discussion thread on the topic in the S1 or S2 or possibly the extraction development forums. In any case, the only way you could even attempt what you want is to hack both units.

You cannot use TivoToGo to transfer ty files AFAIK. TTG is not available for S1 Tivos and it only uses the .tivo file format as I recall. The bets approach woould be to hack both models and install mfs_ftp and extract the videos in either ty+ or tmf format. You may or may not then be able to transfer the extracted files to the S2 Tivo.

Jamie
02-07-2006, 01:10 PM
S1 SA Tivos do not scramble the video. The nocso patch only applies to DTivo models. AFAIK there is no such patch for the S1 DTivos. Ciphercheck is not required for the S1 SA models.ok. ciphercheck could still be useful to verify the unscrambled state when the drive is in the PC.

In any case, the only way you could even attempt what you want is to hack both units.

You cannot use TivoToGo to transfer ty files AFAIK. TTG is not available for S1 Tivos and it only uses the .tivo file format as I recall.
...If the shows are unscrambled, he should be able to extract them as ty in a linux PC using the tools I linked to before. If he can convert ty to mpg (perhaps with tytool?), he can feed those mpg's back to an S2 tivo with the "GoBack" feature of TTG. It's not necessarily the easiest way to get the job done, but it could work without actually hacking the tivos.

jgalak
02-07-2006, 03:24 PM
If the shows are unscrambled, he should be able to extract them as ty in a linux PC using the tools I linked to before. If he can convert ty to mpg (perhaps with tytool?), he can feed those mpg's back to an S2 tivo with the "GoBack" feature of TTG. It's not necessarily the easiest way to get the job done, but it could work without actually hacking the tivos.

Can I do this operation on a PC that just has Linux booted from a CD (for example, with this: http://www.weaknees.com/weaknees_lba_boot_cd.iso
which seems to have some MFS utils already loaded) as opposed to a full installation?

Which format (.tmf, .ty+, .ty) should I extract to?

If I use tytool to convert the ty stream to an MPEG-2, can I then just import it with TTG? Will it maintain program information?

Thanks.

Jamie
02-07-2006, 03:41 PM
Can I do this operation on a PC that just has Linux booted from a CD (for example, with this: http://www.weaknees.com/weaknees_lba_boot_cd.iso
which seems to have MFS already loaded) as opposed to a full installation?Yes, if you can get all the tools you need into that enviroment. None of the tivo hacking iso's have networking enabled, AFAIK. It might be easier to use a live linux cd, such as knoppix, since you'll have a full environment, including networking, web browser, etc. Another alternative is to use vmware to run a linux environment inside of windows. It's free (http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1918449,00.asp) (as in beer) now! It was discussed recently here (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47361&highlight=vmware).

One tricky step here will be transfering the files betwen the linux environment (where you do the extraction) and the windows environment (where you run tytool). You can use a FAT32 file system for this, but it has a file size limit (2GB from the linux side; 4GB in windows). Linux doesn't have reliable write access to NTFS. I'd recommend using a linux file system such as ext2 or ext3. You can transfer the shows to windows via the network, or look for a windows plugin that can handle the linux file systems.

Which format (.tmf, .ty+, .ty) should I extract to?If you're going to use tytool, ty is best. If you're going to insert onto a hacked tivo with mfs_ftp, tmf is best.
If I use tytool to convert the ty stream to an MPEG-2, can I then just import it with TTG?I think so, but you're breaking trail on ground I haven't travelled. Let us know.
Will it maintain program information?Nope. As far as I know, TTG doesn't have a mechanism to do that with .mpg files. "mfs_uberexport -X -R <FSID>" will export the program information in xml (same as that included in ty+/tmf), but TTG can't use it.

jgalak
02-07-2006, 04:00 PM
Ok, thanks. I'll have to play with it over the nect few weeks, as time permits...

I think I'll just have to throw together a Linux box from some spare parts...

Will report with results.