PDA

View Full Version : Moving tserver file from PC to Tivo problem

flyfastest
02-15-2006, 03:54 AM
I have to ask this because I'm stumped....and stupid!

I have moved files over to my Tivo so that I may start using Tytools for extraction. My problem is I can't get tserver to move into the directory I've created on my Tivo.../ptvupgrade/tserver Here's what I have done....

1.) DVR40 upgraded to 6.2 by daily phone call...
2.) DVR40 blessed with extra room....2 drives totaling about 360 gig
3.) PTVnet disk purchased and ran......having two children keeps me from doing things the slow way anymore..;)

4.) I can Telnet into Tivo
5.) I issue mount -o remount,rw / to gain read/write
6.) I type rz at bash.....goes into waiting to receive file
7.) I try to send file and the file never gets to tivo.

tserver file is the only one I have been having a problem with. All the other files transferred fantastic. What am I doing wrong?

I have tried Tera-Term which has always been a favorite of mine and have tried Hyper-term in Windows which I have found I like even more.....still no luck. When I use Hyper-term to send I see the progress box just shows a "Bad Packet" message. When using Tera-Term....the bytes counter starts going insane...then I get a message at bash prompt that the file has been removed.

Any help would be appreciated...and thanks in advance....

flyfastest
02-15-2006, 06:10 AM
Fixed my problem.....used an FTP program like advised in binary mode and worked like a charm. I thought I could just use TeraTerm....hmmmm still wouldn't mind a reply to this and why I can't transfer using Tera term.

Thanks

eastwind
02-15-2006, 07:30 AM
I think I read somewhere that using zmodem protocol over a telnet connection is very susceptible to the versions of the client and server. I doubt the telnet daemon included with TiVos is very robust (it is a lite version, after all). Perhaps that's the problem.

ew

cheer
02-15-2006, 10:01 AM
I agree...zmodem over telnet is iffy. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it does not. FTP is much more reliable -- to me, zmodem is only used if there's no other available option.

captain_video
02-15-2006, 10:30 PM
The rule of thumb with file transfers to and from a Tivo is that telnet sucks over ethernet but works fine with Zmodem protocol via serial connection. FTP is definitely the method of choice for file transfers over a network.

flyfastest
02-17-2006, 06:56 PM
Thanks for all the replies....