PDA

View Full Version : Ty->MPEG loss

ebetzler
02-16-2006, 05:04 PM
I have an HDVR2, hacked, running 6.2 sw.
Using TyToolsr10, I successfully extracted a ty stream, performed some cuts, and saved to an MPG file.
Then, using TivoServer, I watched the new mpg from my living room via my tivo.
The loss from the MPEG conversion was unbearable.
Granted, I am watching this on a 50-inch LCD television, so the distortion is probably magnified, but I expected better.
Is this to be expected? or is there something I can change to improve my mpg quality?

Narf54321
02-16-2006, 05:41 PM
In the tivoserver thread they've mentioned tivoserver transcodes everything at a fixed bitrate of 2000. They are trying to add a feature to future versions that "compatible" streams (like ty and possibly MPEG2/VOBs) just get re-muxed instead of transcoded.

The only solutions I can think of would be: (1) Use tymplex and MFS_FTP to upload directly back to your tivo, or (2) wait for improvements to tivoserver.

RavenStL
02-16-2006, 07:20 PM
remux back to a ty file? I use tmpgenc to do all my encoding and then use mplex to make it a ty again.

eastwind
02-16-2006, 08:35 PM
Would tivoserver transcode the extracted .ty file if you re-inserted it? I think it only transcodes .avis and mpegs that are not already in the proper format.

ew

captain_video
02-16-2006, 09:09 PM
If you author the converted mpg file to DVD and then burn it to a DVD-R/-RW you won't see any degradation of the signal. You could also just use TyTools to convert it to a VOB and create a set of DVD-compliant files. If you're concerned about retaining image quality then I'd recommend either of the aforementioned methods. If all you want to do is view the recording one time then use DVD-RW media that can be used repeatedly.