PDA

View Full Version : Extract ty file without cc

ecartman2k
02-19-2006, 05:09 PM
I've looked all over the internet and dealdatabase for this info, but have found nothing. I want to get rid of the annoying closed caption stream that's resides on the very top of the screen. Can TyTools download without this "data" or do I have to edit the file after downloading? There's an option in preferences regarding cc , but I haven't figured out what it's for and seems to not do anything. If anyone can help I'll greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

eastwind
02-19-2006, 05:28 PM
Sorry, don't think so. It's actually a part of the VIDEO broadcast that gets interpreted in the TV to translate it into the information. Two solutions are to only watch the shows on a TV (where the DATA is in the overscan area) or get a soft player that you can mask with. (Re-encoding the video is only an option if you don't mind giving up some of the quality.)

ew

ecartman2k
02-19-2006, 05:55 PM
Thanks eastwind. I was afraid of that. It's not worth recoding so I'll live with it. It's for personal use anyway. I'm watching the shows on my psp and it's pretty noticeable. If only I could disable cc on the Tivo.. o wells can't have everything.

cheer
02-19-2006, 08:00 PM
Thanks eastwind. I was afraid of that. It's not worth recoding so I'll live with it. It's for personal use anyway. I'm watching the shows on my psp and it's pretty noticeable. If only I could disable cc on the Tivo.. o wells can't have everything.
Disabling CC on the Tivo wouldn't change a thing. It's part of the stream regardless.

eastwind
02-19-2006, 08:14 PM
If it's really bugging you, get a thin slice of black electrical tape to cover it. ;)

ew

ecartman2k
02-19-2006, 10:57 PM
thanks for the info and help.. it doesn't bother me enuf to put tape on my psp ; )

bhorstkotte
02-22-2006, 06:47 PM
Not sure about PSP, but when watching on a PC, you can crop out the offending area of the output on playback, as eastwind mentioned - for example, with mplayer, you can create a shortcut on your desktop like the following (assuming DTivo 480x480 resolution, change as appropriate - also this is just an example, I don't have my tivo files in front of me, so not sure what the right cropping would typically be):

"C:\Program Files\mplayer\mplayer.exe" -vf crop=464:464:8:8

...then you can drag a tivo video (.ty or .mpg or whatever) onto the shortcut icon, and it will open the video in mplayer with the specified cropping.