PDA

View Full Version : Need help summarizing the latest tools

ebetzler
02-23-2006, 03:20 PM
I have read though alot of these threads, trust me :)
Only problem is, my head is now spinning, and with some threads being quite old, it is really hard to follow what the most current things are.
Here is a summary of my confusion.:confused:
Don't know if it matters, but my hardware setup is a hacked DTiVo HDVR2-6.2sw

1) Video Extraction
Is tystudio still used? Or is tytools10 the common thing used by most?

2) Streaming video PC->TiVo
I have used TivoServer, is this the best out there?

3) Streaming video TiVo->PC
MPlayer is what I have heard the most about, something called ?TyStream? also.

4) MFS_FTP
Is this still the most common way for moving TY files to and from a Tivo?

5) TY file editing
Is chunkEdit out of date? Can TyTools make cuts and save in TY format (I dont think so)

bhorstkotte
02-24-2006, 02:54 PM
1) Video Extraction
Is tystudio still used? Or is tytools10 the common thing used by most?

I have both installed, but I really only use TyTool - it works great, the GOP Editor works well, can build DVDs or mpg - and its still actively being updated / supported, while it appears that TyStudio development stopped a while ago.

2) Streaming video PC->TiVo
I have used TivoServer, is this the best out there?

Can't really comment on that, I only have Series 1, TivoServer requires Series 2 I believe.

3) Streaming video TiVo->PC
MPlayer is what I have heard the most about, something called ?TyStream? also.

TyShow plugs into Windows Media Player, and enables it to be a streaming client and play local .ty files. VLC and mplayer can also be used as streaming clients.

If you just want to stream locally over your LAN, you can install TivoWebPlus, which gives you links on your Now Showing list that are used to invoke either WMP or VLC to view the stream (tivo bitrate, usually no good for outside the LAN).

TyStreamer uses VLC's streaming capabilities to pull streams from the tivo and transcode them on the fly to lower bitrate streams which can potentially be used over internet connections (although for some reason I haven't been able to get that last part to work yet).

4) MFS_FTP
Is this still the most common way for moving TY files to and from a Tivo?

It works great - most common, hmm, dunno, probably TyTool (which uses tserver on the server side).

5) TY file editing
Is chunkEdit out of date? Can TyTools make cuts and save in TY format (I dont think so)

Not sure about that, I don't use it - I just cut commercials with TyTool GOP Editor, and output as mpg. Also playing around with reencoding to divx/xvid/x264, but for now mpeg2 is my archival format for my video server.