PDA

View Full Version : HR10-250 PTV Upgrade with Instant Cake and want to disable encryption HELP!!!

dighun
02-27-2006, 01:00 AM
I have the PTV upgrade and Instant cake on my HR10-250 and have been trying everything tho disable encryption and everything I have read and tried won't work!!! Does someone know of a very simple solution to this??? Everything else works well.

eastwind
02-27-2006, 01:42 AM
Maybe you should detail what you've tried so it doesn't get re-hashed and you don't have to post back "I already did that." If you've already tried "everything" you might just be out of luck.

ew

dighun
02-27-2006, 04:11 AM
I have installed instant bake with the ptv upgrade just like you are instructed to on the program. I then install the drive into my tivo and boot it up, everything works great (ftp, telnet, tivo plus, tytools, and can even extract the ty files to my pc), the only problem is that I can not watch the ty files or convert them in any way due to the encryption. I then take the drive out of the HR10-250 and put it back into my pc, I boot of the mfs tools disk and run killhdinitrd from the floppy and it says success with a kernel of 2.4.20. I then put the drive back into the HR10-250 and wait for it to boot up. I proceed with the following commands:

FTP key files over to the HR10-250

devbin-s2.tar (from devbin-s2.tgz)
netbin-s2.tar (from netbin-s2.tgz)
ps-s2 (from ps-s2.gz)
TivoWebPlus-1.0-final.tivo.tpm (from tivowebplus-1.0-final.zip)
twebplus-patched.tar
mfs_ftp.tar (from mfs_ftp.1.2.9p.tar.zip)
s2bins.tar (from s2bins.tar.zip)
ciphercheck.tcl
csoscout.tcl
tserver_mfs and NowShowing.tcl (from tserver_mnerd.zip)

Change to the /var/hack directory
cd /var/hack

Chmod the encryption test programs
chmod 755 ciphercheck.tcl
chmod 755 csoscout.tcl

mount -o remount,rw /
cd /tvbin
cp -p tivoapp tivoapp.good
mv tivoapp tivoapp.tmp
cp -p tivoapp.good tivoapp
echo -ne "\x3C\x02\x00\x00" | dd conv=notrunc of=tivoapp bs=1 seek=6978700
chmod 755 tivoapp
mount -o remount,ro /
reboot

cd /var/hack
tivosh ./ciphercheck.tcl

but I get errors and the encryption is not disabled!!!

Basically I am using DSmooth's Hacking guide v1.10 in conjunction with my PTV Upgrade with an Instant Cake Image. if this is not possible, then what would be my best alternative to getting me up and running?

eastwind
02-27-2006, 06:29 AM
What version is your software????????
Did you use a hex editor to make sure you were in the right place? link (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=178198&postcount=245)
ew

cheer
02-27-2006, 03:00 PM
Can't help you with any guides. But I will say that you shouldn't run ciphercheck.tcl as it's old/depreciated. Run the c version of ciphercheck as included with AlphaWolf's all-in-one utilities.

Most of the other hacks you are loading seem to be old too (TivoWebPlus 1.0, tserver_mfs, etc.).

dighun
02-27-2006, 03:43 PM
I do not, and my software version 3.1.5f I am not familiar with the next steps that ned to be taken, if you could point me in the right direction that would be great!!

dighun
02-27-2006, 03:44 PM
where would I go to find newer hacks?

vurbano
02-27-2006, 04:56 PM
I do not, and my software version 3.1.5f I am not familiar with the next steps that ned to be taken, if you could point me in the right direction that would be great!!

I assume you have baked the drives and installed PTVnet upgrade CD for the HR10-250. If so then all you need to do is Alphawolf's decryption hack http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31213
and to place the tserver file on your unit and your set to use tytool. Its in the tytool zip file from JDliner. See the first few posts of this thread.http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47025
Download both zip files and read the directions. its not hard at all.

dighun
02-27-2006, 07:41 PM
thank you very much, I wil try it and let you know.

dighun
02-27-2006, 07:49 PM
after using AlhpaWolf's decryption hack, do you have to use the unscramble hack, and is it very difficult?

dighun
02-27-2006, 08:11 PM
the unscrambling method is a little confusing to me of how to execute the scrip (or file), my programming skills are not very good at all, but I can follow directions as long as I understand what to do. If you could help me out that would be great!!

Grizzly
02-27-2006, 08:59 PM
I'm having the same problem unfortunately.

Did the PTVnet/Instantcake on the HR10-250 and it still shows encrypting. I did the AlphaWolf (Thanks AW) encrytion hack.

Any ideas?

Grizzly

dighun
02-27-2006, 09:36 PM
everything makes sense whatvurbano says to do with the exception of installing the s2 unscrambling method, the instructions are in another language to me, can someone explain how to execute like alphawolf?

cheer
02-28-2006, 12:44 AM
There are two different things, here.

To disable encryption for all future recordings, using AlphaWolf's method will do nicely.

If you want to unscramble recordings that have already been recorded as scrambled, then you need to use the S2_Unscramble tools.

These two things are not incompatible with each other. They address two separate things. If you do not understand any of the S2_Unscramble instructions, then I would not advise trying it until you do a lot more reading. If you don't understand what it means when I say, "Don't use ciphercheck.tcl; use the ciphercheck file included with the latest AIO tools from Alphawolf," then definitely don't try the S2_Unscramble tools. S2_Unscramble is not for newbies.

Grizzly
02-28-2006, 12:52 AM
I've done the mod on other dtivos before and it worked...

However, my problem is that I did the encryption patch and it doesn't seem to have worked. I think its the same in his case.

I used this:

If you are an S2 or HDTIVO user with Software Version 3.1.5f, type this command:
Code:

echo -ne "\x3C\x02\x00\x00" | dd conv=notrunc of=tivoapp bs=1 seek=6984684

and its a no go.

I verfied that its not working via tytools.

Any thoughts?

dighun
02-28-2006, 01:23 AM
I am getting further along here but have a question. I am not very clear on how to change my kernel with the vmlinux.px.3.1.5x kernel in the s2 unscramble. I know they say to follow the "killhdinitrd" method, but it does not make sense to me, could anyone explain this in simpler terms?

cheer
02-28-2006, 09:03 AM
I am getting further along here but have a question. I am not very clear on how to change my kernel with the vmlinux.px.3.1.5x kernel in the s2 unscramble. I know they say to follow the "killhdinitrd" method, but it does not make sense to me, could anyone explain this in simpler terms?
You have to monte. If you don't know what that means, go do a lot of reading.

Grizzly
02-28-2006, 08:48 PM
so, again, my problem is not the unscrambing of recordings I already have, but just turning off the encryption for future recordings...

As you see previously I've done the AlphaWolf procedure, but to no avail.
I've checked and there is no previous scrambtest file, and its showing encryption still on and subsequent recordings encrypted.

I've done this before on non-hd boxes and had no problem.

Can anyone help?

cheer
03-01-2006, 08:19 AM
Have you tried running ciphercheck (the non-.tcl version) yet?

Grizzly
03-02-2006, 12:09 AM
I tried to pull it over, but unless I'm pulling the wrong binary, it doesn't like it.

I tried to extract some new recordings I made using tytool and got the error message about the first 10 chunks...i.e. its still encrypted.

Grizzly

Grizzly
03-02-2006, 02:42 AM
If I manually edit the file with a hex editor on windows it works, but the commands in the guide info doesn't work.

Thanks for the help

Grizzly

SoniaTesani
03-15-2006, 01:30 PM
I've done the mod on other dtivos before and it worked...

However, my problem is that I did the encryption patch and it doesn't seem to have worked. I think its the same in his case.

I used this:

If you are an S2 or HDTIVO user with Software Version 3.1.5f, type this command:
Code:

echo -ne "\x3C\x02\x00\x00" | dd conv=notrunc of=tivoapp bs=1 seek=6984684

and its a no go.

I verfied that its not working via tytools.

Any thoughts?

I am having the same problem. I wonder whether the PTVNet upgrade CD has something in it that prevents removal of encryption. The sequence you described above is the same one I have used before. It worked on my first 10-250 which had been hacked for networking without the use of the PTVNet CD. Maybe the PTVNet CD is only intended for other hacks but NOT removing encryption.

cheer
03-15-2006, 03:18 PM
Well I can't imagine PTVNet does anything that prevents this from working. The real question I would ask is, what version of the Tivo software are you running? The OP used Instantcake prior to PTVNet.

Just speculation, as I really have no idea what PTVNet does or how it works.

vurbano
03-17-2006, 09:58 AM
Well I can't imagine PTVNet does anything that prevents this from working. The real question I would ask is, what version of the Tivo software are you running? The OP used Instantcake prior to PTVNet.

Just speculation, as I really have no idea what PTVNet does or how it works.

It works, Ive done it twice on 2 different sets of hard drives.

TheBog
04-02-2006, 07:42 AM
I ran into the same problem and it was because I was using the wrong "seek" value. I restored tivoapp and then used the correct value from the list below and all worked fine...

3.1.5 echo -ne "\x3C\x02\x00\x00" | dd conv=notrunc of=tivoapp bs=1 seek=6978700
3.1.5d echo -ne "\x3C\x02\x00\x00" | dd conv=notrunc of=tivoapp bs=1 seek=6984812
3.1.5e echo -ne "\x3C\x02\x00\x00" | dd conv=notrunc of=tivoapp bs=1 seek=6984700
3.1.5f echo -ne "\x3C\x02\x00\x00" | dd conv=notrunc of=tivoapp bs=1 seek=6984684

tecknows
04-03-2006, 01:04 AM
There are different offsets dependent on your version the ones below have worked for me in the past, Im on 3.1.5f now and all works well.

3.1.5 echo -ne "\x3C\x02\x00\x00" | dd conv=notrunc of=tivoapp bs=1 seek=6978700
3.1.5d echo -ne "\x3C\x02\x00\x00" | dd conv=notrunc of=tivoapp bs=1 seek=6984812
3.1.5e echo -ne "\x3C\x02\x00\x00" | dd conv=notrunc of=tivoapp bs=1 seek=6984700
3.1.5f echo -ne "\x3C\x02\x00\x00" | dd conv=notrunc of=tivoapp bs=1 seek=6984684

Hope this helps

timphillis
04-27-2006, 02:34 AM
If I manually edit the file with a hex editor on windows it works, but the commands in the guide info doesn't work.

Thanks for the help

Grizzly
Grizzly,

What exactly did you do to fix the problem? I followed Alphawolf's instructions for my release of the software, and it didn't work. I puchased a pre-baked 250 gig Intantcake for my HD10-250, Software version 3.1.5f-01-2-357.

Blitz68
05-11-2006, 01:59 PM
There are two different things, here.

To disable encryption for all future recordings, using AlphaWolf's method will do nicely.

If you want to unscramble recordings that have already been recorded as scrambled, then you need to use the S2_Unscramble tools.

These two things are not incompatible with each other. They address two separate things. If you do not understand any of the S2_Unscramble instructions, then I would not advise trying it until you do a lot more reading. If you don't understand what it means when I say, "Don't use ciphercheck.tcl; use the ciphercheck file included with the latest AIO tools from Alphawolf," then definitely don't try the S2_Unscramble tools. S2_Unscramble is not for newbies.

Where can I get this?

ScanMan
05-11-2006, 02:34 PM
That would be S2_Unscramble thread located on the same page in this forum below!!!link. (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39207)
Dude, you're gonna have to try a little harder than that...