PDA

View Full Version : Stuck at Welcome after migrating to new drive

FieroGT42
03-07-2006, 01:44 PM
I just migrated a DSR708 Tivo to a 120GB drive from a smaller one and upon powering up, it hangs at the "Welcome. Powering up..." gray screen. I've done an upgrade before (and have restored it a couple of times) so I'm not a total n00b.

I've tried writing the new drive from an image on another hard drive, from a CD, and directly from the original drive using the appropriate commands:
Backup: mfsbackup -f 9999 -1so /mnt/dos/tivo.bak /dev/hdb
Restore methods:
mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hdb | mfsrestore -s 127 -r 4 -xzpi /dev/hdd
mfsrestore -s 127 -r 4 -xzpi /mnt/cdrom/tivo.bak /dev/hdd
mfsrestore -s 127 -r 4 -xzpi /mnt/dos/tivo.bak /dev/hdd

I get no errors other than the usual messages when initially mounting drives (these mean nothing, just programmer errors in the boot disc that have no effect). This is the same as the working upgrades I've done before, and I can read/write to all drives so the mounting is not the problem.

I've tried jumpering the new drive in the Tivo to master and cable select, neither works.

I've tried re-creating my backup image several times, and it's always the same and seems to back up and restore with no problems.

The hard drive isn't brand new, but it works just fine and I can do anything else that I try to do (make DOS, Linux, NTFS partitions; read/write files; install/boot Windows).

The Tivo should have had version 6.2 software. The new 120GB drive doesn't cross the 137GB barrier.

What am I missing? Please help... I'm very frustrated because I know I've done this before and it worked perfectly every time, plus my fingers are getting pretty sore from unplugging/plugging in the stubborn 4-pin power connectors! Thanks

cheer
03-07-2006, 01:55 PM
Can you supply a serial console log? Tough to guess what it might be without that.

Also, "-f 9999" means you may not get your menu backgrounds. I can't remember what the preferred method is but PlainBill has posted it probably a hundred times; do a search.

FieroGT42
03-07-2006, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the expedient reply. Can I get a log without the whole serial cable thing? I don't have time to build one or wait on a purchased cable. If it's hanging at "welcome", will the Tivo have booted sufficently to allow telnetting?

cheer
03-07-2006, 03:47 PM
No you won't be able to telnet. Your choices are to either buy/build a cable or pull the drive, cable it up to a PC, boot up Linux (or a Linux boot CD), mount /dev/hd#9 ("#" depends on where it's cabled on your IDE bus), and check out the kernel log. So for example, if you cable the drive up as secondary master on your PC and you boot up a Linux boot disk:

mkdir /tivodrive
mount /dev/hdc9 /tivodrive
more /tivodrive/log/kernel

Or somesuch. If your PC has a FAT32 partition, you can then just copy the file to your hard drive.

captain_video
03-07-2006, 04:58 PM
Speaking of cables, make sure all of your cable connections inside the DTivo are secure. If any of them aren't making full contact the DTivo won't boot. Try a different IDE cable if everything else looks OK. The ribbon cable to the front panel is easy to dislodge when you're working around the drive.

eastwind
03-07-2006, 05:25 PM
Some more points to consider.

What is the size and staus of the drive you're upgrading from? Does it have enough partitions left to expand? If not, try leaving the -x off of the mfsrestore command.

If the previous backup already had a swap partition of 127, you don't need to specify that again. (Again, you didn't say if the working drive is stock or one you've already upgraded.)

120 GB drives don't need -r 4 (that's for mfs partitions greater than 274 GB).

I don't know if any of these things will make a difference, but any or all of them might.

ew

FieroGT42
03-09-2006, 02:11 PM
All of the jumpers and cables are secure, runs fine with the original un-messed-with 40GB re-installed. BTW, it's a DSR 708 r15, dual-input DirecTivo receiver.

I wish I'd remembered that it was just running Linux - I'd have had the log by now! Duh :) My Linux box is in the middle of a full Debian compile so I'll grab the log and post it as soon as it's done.

I've also tried without the "-r 4" and it still didn't work. I'll try again with the swap and/or expand options omitted just as soon as I feel like giving myself another headache. :) Thanks again

eastwind
03-09-2006, 03:06 PM
All of the jumpers and cables are secure, runs fine with the original un-messed-with 40GB re-installed. BTW, it's a DSR 708 r15, dual-input DirecTivo receiver.

I wish I'd remembered that it was just running Linux - I'd have had the log by now! Duh :) My Linux box is in the middle of a full Debian compile so I'll grab the log and post it as soon as it's done.

I've also tried without the "-r 4" and it still didn't work. I'll try again with the swap and/or expand options omitted just as soon as I feel like giving myself another headache. :) Thanks again I've never heard of a DSR 708 r15. I've heard of a DSR 708 and I've heard of an R15--the DSR708 is hackable, the R15 isn't even a TiVo IIRC.

The logs can be found booting from a CD-ROM that can read TiVo's partition map by mounting the 9th partition (/var on a TiVo) and checking log/kernel et al.

While you're at it, check the output of pdisk -l /dev/hdX and bootpage -p /dev/hdX.

ew

FieroGT42
03-09-2006, 07:51 PM
Okay....
2 TiVo drives: Old 40GB, New(er) 120GB
2 Linux Discs: Tivo LBA48 Boot CD from PTVupgrade, Knoppix Linux live CD

The new drive shows as having no partition table with either Linux CD. It doesn't boot in the Tivo. This is understandable.

The old drive also shows as no partition table with both Linux CD's, despite never being written to on a computer or booted under Windows. It still *does* boot in the Tivo.

WTF? :)

BTW, it's a DSR708. The r# was in smaller print, probably just a revision of the 708 model and irrelevant.

PlainBill
03-09-2006, 10:36 PM
Interesting, and more interesting. This command has an error (or a typo):
mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hdb | mfsrestore -s 127 -r 4 -xzpi /dev/hdd

It should be:
mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hdb | mfsrestore -s 127 -xzpi - /dev/hdd

I suggest trying a straight copy with no expansion:

mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hdb | mfsrestore -s 127 -zpi - /dev/hdd

Also, when making an image of a Series 2 DirecTiVo do not use -f 9999, -f 19999 is better, -l 50 is even better.

I've had only good results with the PTVupgrade cd. How are you trying to view the partition table?

When wierd problems like this crop up, I suggest trying different hardware. Ideally, try a different computer. On several ocassions I've foound the problem lies between the keyboard and chair. :o

PlainBill

FieroGT42
03-10-2006, 03:35 PM
Trying another computer isn't going to work. I only have 2 running right now (others are disassembled and scavenged from ;)) and only 1 of the 2 boots the PTVupgrade CD. This is strange also because the other one will boot any *other* Linux build just fine.

I'll try rebuilding the image again as you gave it. The commands I got were from the commonly used Interactive Tivo Upgrade page

As far as the partition table (or lack thereof), I've tried fdisk -l with PTVupgrade CD on the computer that runs it, and the same command under Knoppix Linux on both computers. I don't remember what the Linux graphical partitioning tool said (QTParted on Knoppix live CD).

PlainBill
03-10-2006, 03:52 PM
Trying another computer isn't going to work. I only have 2 running right now (others are disassembled and scavenged from ;)) and only 1 of the 2 boots the PTVupgrade CD. This is strange also because the other one will boot any *other* Linux build just fine.

I'll try rebuilding the image again as you gave it.

As far as the partition table (or lack thereof), I've tried fdisk -l with PTVupgrade CD on the computer that runs it, and the same command under Knoppix Linux on both computers. I don't remember what the Linux graphical partitioning tool said (QTParted on Knoppix live CD).
OK, we've found at least part of the problem. Definitely a keyboard - chair issue. :D Use pdisk -l with the PTVupgrade cd. And hide the Knoppix cd for the duration. It doesn't recognise TiVo partitions.

Linux is such a nice OS. Why would anyone want to tart it up with a gui?

PlainBill

FieroGT42
03-10-2006, 04:01 PM
Ah that's right... pdisk. If you can't tell, it's been a while since I last did a Tivo upgrade :) I'll try again, pdisk to check things out, and try to grab the log with the PTVupgrade CD. "This time for sure!"

Knoppix is nice because I can boot with networking to the command line only, or boot the GUI with a web browser, GIMP, QTParted, etc. from just a CD... because now the HDD in the second computer decided to die ;) But yeah, who would want all of that "graphics" crap anyway, right? ASCII art games and text-based MUDs are more better! Heck, who needs this board - give me a BBS!

eastwind
03-10-2006, 06:37 PM
And a "HIGH-SPEED" 2400 baud modem.

ew

PlainBill
03-11-2006, 02:32 PM
And a "HIGH-SPEED" 2400 baud modem.

ew
2400 baud? My first 'dial up' computing was with an ASR-33 teletype and a 110 baud modem. I thought it was heaven when they added a TI 'Silent 700' with a 300 baud modem.

PlainBill

eastwind
03-11-2006, 08:12 PM
2400 baud? My first 'dial up' computing was with an ASR-33 teletype and a 110 baud modem. I thought it was heaven when they added a TI 'Silent 700' with a 300 baud modem.

PlainBill
I think my first was a manually switched 300 baud from Radio Shack. That's why 2400 baud was "High Speed" although I vaguely remember a 1200 Baud in there somewhere also.

ew

FieroGT42
03-13-2006, 05:37 PM
I haven't had time to disassemble the Tivo and PC to try rebuilding the image (again), but I have checked the PTVupgrade CD and there is no pdisk. Hwat teh fork? Anybody have a bootable CD image with it?

PlainBill
03-13-2006, 06:56 PM
I haven't had time to disassemble the Tivo and PC to try rebuilding the image (again), but I have checked the PTVupgrade CD and there is no pdisk. Hwat teh fork? Anybody have a bootable CD image with it?
Heve you tried booting from the cd and typing pdisk -l /dev/hdc? Works for me every time.

PlainBill

eastwind
03-13-2006, 07:00 PM
Strange that everyone else can use it but you can't.....Sounds like a PEBKAC error. :)

ew

ocntscha
03-14-2006, 02:10 PM
I haven't had time to disassemble the Tivo and PC to try rebuilding the image (again), but I have checked the PTVupgrade CD and there is no pdisk. Hwat teh fork? Anybody have a bootable CD image with it?Its on there. Its inside the isolinux/initrd.img file. gunzip that file and mount it as a loopback device or as the previous 2 posters suggested actually boot off the CD and then you'll find pdisk.

FieroGT42
03-16-2006, 09:34 PM
I've booted from the disc like 10-bazillion-and-two times, and it's not recognized as a command. I'll try gunzipping the isolinux/initrd.img "when I have time". I've had so many things frying left and right that it's not even funny (anymore ;)). ...and it's not even my fault this time! ;)

PlainBill
03-16-2006, 10:52 PM
I've booted from the disc like 10-bazillion-and-two times, and it's not recognized as a command. I'll try gunzipping the isolinux/initrd.img "when I have time". I've had so many things frying left and right that it's not even funny (anymore ;)). ...and it's not even my fault this time! ;)
OK, let's be clear here, WHICH PTVupgrade cd are you booting from? I always use their LBA-48 boot cd - the free one.

PlainBill

FieroGT42
03-18-2006, 11:29 AM
I have the free LBA-48 disc :P

PlainBill
03-18-2006, 12:37 PM
I have the free LBA-48 disc :P
OK, I've been using an earlier version of that one. I'll check out the latest after I'm through playing with my grandson.

PlainBill