PDA

View Full Version : Extract files from non-hacked HR10-250

stealth3638
03-16-2006, 03:33 PM
I recently had an HR10-250 fail. Unit shows live video feed and seems to be recording data but any time I access a menu (Directv button, list, info, etc), the menu exits, the guide flashes for a second and I am kicked back to live TV. The only way to change channels is channel up/down (guide exits as soon as selection made).

To make a long story short, I have a replacement unit running but I would like to pull video streams from this non-hacked unit. There are some programs recorded that are no longer available and I would like to archive.

I would pull the HDD from the HR10-250 and install in PC (hacking at this point is irrelavent since it appears OS is corrupt?) and extract files that way.

I have looked through the various threads on extraction but they all seem to indicate a hacked TiVo HDD.

If there is something I overlooked please point me to a particular thread and I apologize for extraneous threads.

cheer
03-16-2006, 05:08 PM
The files are encrypted. You cannot pull them off this way and do anything useful. Your only choice is to hack the HR10-250 and use the S2_Unscramble utilities -- not trivial for a newbie. If the box can sit there stable with a live video feed, then hacking should be doable.

captain_video
03-17-2006, 12:47 AM
Check the drive with the manufacturer's diagnostic software to see if the drive itself isn't the problem. If it is then your best bet would be to get a replacement drive and see if you can't keep the bad drive alive long enough to dd the contents to the new drive. If that doesn't work then you're pretty much SOL.

You may want to consider hacking the new HDTivo to disable encryption. That way if this problem ever happens with the new HDTivo then you can pull the videos using mfs_ftp and transfer them to another HDTivo or to a new drive in the same unit.