PDA

View Full Version : Disabling TyStream Encryption - Having Trouble Executing Commands

robinmichael
03-25-2006, 03:05 PM
I have an S2 unit with 6.2, on a PTVUpgrade disk that otherwise has been working well. I am trying to run through the commands that AlphaWolf posted - http://dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31213
I am using TivoWebPlus to execute the recommended commands.
I first executed the following commands:
mount -o remount,rw /
cp /tvbin/tivoapp /tvbin/tivoapp.orig
cd /tvbin
mv tivoapp tivoapp.tmp
When I execute the command mv tivoapp tivoapp.tmp I get a message "mv: tivoapp: No such file or directory" and yet SmartFTP clearly shows that this file, tivoapp, exists.

I am not a Linux expert, barely a novice, but this seems like a no brainer. Does anyone have a clue as to why this is happening? Thanks for your help in advance.

robinmichael
03-25-2006, 07:24 PM
I managed to get through the command sequence by doing it through Telnet. I even found what I though was the missing file. When I went to a reboot, it stayed on the DirecTV screen the indicates it will be completed soon. It never did. I let it go for 10 minutes, then unplugged it and tried it again for 20. I called DTV support and they said the entire iniitial boot process should take no more than 5 or 6 minutes, not including satellite data acquisition. I put my original disk in so I could catch the UCLA-Memphis game. DTV said they would send a refurbished Tivo unit with 80GB disk instead of the 40GB that I had.

I was very careful typing and rechecking the commands several times before executing. What could I have done wrong? Or is it possible that it might just take longer to reboot?

Narf54321
03-26-2006, 04:16 PM
Don't get the refurb unit, as it might end up being an R10 (unhackable).

Sounds like you borked the tivoapp file (which is the main and quite necessary program for a tivo). Put a copy of the original tivoapp file back in /tvbin named simply tivoapp and see if it'll boot up.

Then buy yourself an 80G, 120G or bigger drive so you can hack and you'll have more room for shows.

Don't try to do it thru TivoWeb -- too much can go wrong. Get telnet working! At least you'll be able to see the responses from the command line.

robinmichael
03-26-2006, 04:30 PM
Thanks for your suggestion. I can't get it to boot far enough to see it on the net. So no access while in the Tivo unit. I suppose I could install it in my desktop PC and fix the files there.

Btw, I ultimately wound up using Windows Telnet so that I could see what was happening. I sort of kept track of the file status by viewing them in SmartFTP.

Narf54321
03-26-2006, 10:44 PM
I think part of the problem is that you moved the tivoapp file to a different name and didnt replace it quick enough -- if you take too long monkeying with the running tivoapp the machine can freak and reboot. Then it tries to come up without a /tvbin/tivoapp file (because you moved it to tivoapp.tmp or something) and won't do anything.

This type of thing almost always happens after you've secured the drive back in the tivo chassis and put the case screws all back in.

(A serial console cable can help avoid a lot of drive pulling.)

robinmichael
03-27-2006, 12:17 AM
I can get a cable, but at this point, I'm not sure how I communicate with a system that is not booted up. Seems like I still have to take the screwed up drive and fix it elsewhere, like in a PC. True? If the Tivo is on and booting, I can't see how I can get to the drive through a serial cable. There is no "intelligence" in it until it boots.

Sorry I seem so lamely dumb, but I just haven't done this stuff before. I'm fairly savvy with PCs and programming. I just don't know it all that well.