PDA

View Full Version : What did I do wrong? - trying simple commands

robinmichael
03-25-2006, 08:40 PM
I have been successfully using my PTVUpgrade drive, added TivoWebPlus and TyTools, and was attempting to change the encryption flag per instructions on DealTime. I completed the following sequence and know that I did not make a mistake. When I rebooted, I waited 10 minutes for it to get through the DirecTV screen that says "almost finished" and then rebooted (power off/on) and tried it a second time, this time waiting for 20 minutes. It never got to the satellite acquisition stage. DTV is sending me a replacement unit with and 80 hour drive, but there goes my network access. I am assuming that I should send the PTVUpgrade drive back in for a reload. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Do the following for this patch: (FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS VERY CAREFULLY)

Make sure your root partition is writable. e.g.
Code:
mount -o remount,rw /

Make a backup copy of /tvbin/tivoapp e.g.
Code:
cp /tvbin/tivoapp /tvbin/tivoapp.orig

Do this number:
Code:
cd /tvbin
mv tivoapp tivoapp.tmp
cp tivoapp.tmp tivoapp
chmod 755 tivoapp

If you are an S2 user with Software Version 6.2, type this command:
Code:
echo -ne "\x3C\x02\x00\x00" | dd conv=notrunc of=tivoapp bs=1 seek=10705308

For you readonly root types:
Code:
mount -o remount,ro /

Then:
Code:
reboot

After (not before) the reboot, you can delete the /tvbin/tivoapp.tmp file to free up space on your rootfs.

If you are an S2 user, your next stop is here.

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39207

eastwind
03-25-2006, 11:18 PM
cp the original tivoapp back and try booting. If it doesn't work, you have a different problem. If it does work, at least you know that your whole system isn't FUBAR.

ew

robinmichael
03-26-2006, 05:22 PM
I cannot see it on the network. It never gets that far in the boot cycle. Are you suggesting that I put the drive in a PC and do the copy there?

eastwind
03-26-2006, 05:30 PM
I cannot see it on the network. It never gets that far in the boot cycle. Are you suggesting that I put the drive in a PC and do the copy there?Yes, exactly.

ew

robinmichael
03-27-2006, 01:19 AM
OK. Thanks. These forums really do work. Wish I could return the favor.