PDA

View Full Version : Accessing a DTiVo from another location?

michman
04-07-2006, 09:58 AM
Does anyone know how I would be able to access my DTiVo from another computer, for instance at work?

I have my DTiVo hooked up to my home network, and I frequently use tivowebplus to access it to add, delete, and change programming and other options. To do this I type in the DTiVo's IP address (192.168.1.101).

Because this is a local address provided by my router, Iím not sure how to access it. I have heard that I can open a port in my router for the DTiVo, but I have also heard that this could make the DTiVo vulnerable to the web and viruses and what-not.

So does anyone know a way, or a program to use to effectively "log onto" my DTiVo to program it remotely?

You know it would be a shame if I forgot to set a recording and couldn't do anything about it!!!

Thanks in advance for all your help.

cheer
04-07-2006, 12:34 PM
So there's several schools of thought, and several approaches.

The simplest would be to open a port on your router and have your router forward that to your Tivo. On many/most routers it needs to be the same port as the destination, so if you have TWP running on the default port of 80, you need to open up port 80. I'd at least advise changing that.

Now, keep in mind that "simplest" often means "least secure." Tivos have virtually no security to speak of -- at most, in TWP, you can set a username and pw. And Tivos can crash under the attack of a portscanner or the like.

A more complicated approach might be to configure a PC as a VPN catcher. Use a VPN client to get into your home network, then surf to the Tivo on its private address. You could also play with setting up a proxy or relay host, etc. Many ways to skin that cat.

fantmn
04-07-2006, 07:38 PM
I have a Linux server setup running a ssh daemon and have opened a port in my router/firewall to allow me to use ssh to get to the Linux server. I then build ssh tunnels on my laptop that allow me to use the web browser on my laptop to get to TivoWeb+ on the Tivos. I used ssh tunnels because the firewall at work blocks VPN connections outbound however ssh is allowed through the workplace firewall. There are several documents on the internet that go over how to set up ssh on a system in the home. I have seen both Linux and Windows setups. The good thing about ssh is that it requires a userid and password to establish the sessions. The ssh session is encrypted.

You will need openSSH on the home server to ssh into, and an ssh client on the remote system. I use putty (http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/)for my ssh client.

This (http://pigtail.net/LRP/printsrv/cygwin-sshd.html)looks like a good document if you need to do a windows server openSSH.

I also wrote a perl script that runs on the Linux server that goes out to whatismyip.com and retrieves the current IP address of my public address. If the address is different it sends it to my external email address and as a text message to my phone. That way I do not need to subscribe to a dynamic DNS server.

antman
04-09-2006, 09:38 PM
I'd be interested in seeing the perl script.

Thanks

fredfillis
04-23-2006, 02:28 PM
A more complicated approach might be to configure a PC as a VPN catcher. Use a VPN client to get into your home network, then surf to the Tivo on its private address.

I have done this (just for laffs) and it is not that complicated. It works. In theory you could also use PC Anywhere (is anyone else besides me still using that?) to get to your home desktop.

cheer
04-26-2006, 12:30 PM
I have done this (just for laffs) and it is not that complicated. It works. In theory you could also use PC Anywhere (is anyone else besides me still using that?) to get to your home desktop.
Yeah, by "more complicated" I just meant "more complicated than port forwarding." But it's not bad if you have pc/networking experience.

I do still use PC Anywhere...mostly for (A) remote control of other PCs in the house and (B) supporting my parents' PCs.

fantmn
04-26-2006, 01:17 PM
I'd be interested in seeing the perl script.

Thanks

The scripts I used are attached. They should be considered as working samples. This is rather quick and dirty code created based on other samples I found around the web. I cannot provide support for these scripts. They run on my SuSE SLES9 system with all the perl modules and libraries installed. I did not document which libraries were required to make this work. It has been a little while since I got it working.

It is written to work with whatismyip.com
You will need to replace the user information and email server information in the sendwhatismyip.pl script. It will not work as it sits.

Each script will run without the other. The script readwritewhatismyip.pl will retrieve the current public IP address of the server, it then compares the current address to what is stored in sendaddr.ini. If the address is not the same then it calls the sendwhatismyip.pl script to retrieve and send the IP address the the email addresses in the script.

Feel free to improve the script and upload it here.