PDA

View Full Version : Tivo rebooting when changing channels

diamondsw
04-20-2006, 03:03 AM
I noticed the Tivo is rebooting almost every time the channel is changed. All of my recordings tonight are missing the first three minutes, except those where it was already on the right channel. I tried to run through the "channel setup", and it rebooted when testing connectivity. Also, if I just flip channels a few times it will reboot. Sure enough, a reboot takes 3 minutes.

I'm using a Motorola digital cable box with a serial connection (Tivo-supplied cable). I've installed killhdinitrd, AlphaWolf's s2 tools, TivoWebPlus 1.2.1, and the "superpatch" 1.2-test1. Any of these sound like possible culprits, or should I hook up the serial cable? What should I look for pre-crash and post-crash if I do?

diamondsw
04-20-2006, 03:45 AM
Quite accidentally, I disabled all of my hacks (seemingly you cannot symlink your rc.sysinit.author file), and it still crashes on changing the channel. What is odd is the channel change itself succeeds (cable box has the correct channel number), but then the Tivo immediately crashes without ever showing the channel.

EDIT: Obviously, things like my killhdinitrd kernel are still in place, and my various hack files are, but nothing is being changed/launched since rc.sysinit.author isn't running.

EDIT: It also strikes me that changing channels requires killing off the current live TV buffer and starting a new one. Wonder if that has anything at all to do with it?

fantmn
04-20-2006, 07:41 AM
Are your four recent threads about different problems with the same Tivos or four different tivos. It is best to keep all post related to a project in one thread even if they do not quite fit the original title. That way when people are trying to help they can see everything that has been done and hopefully not duplicate information because it was somewhere else in a different thread.
Do a search for the rebooting when changing channels. I remember seeing a thread that had a similar problem not too long ago. I do not remember what the resolution was, but it was resolved. I think something along the lines of tivoapp being messed up with a bad patch. (I did a search on reboot channel and found it BTW)

Is the symlink you created for rc.sysinit.author set so that it is executable. I think the default may be not to be executable. (This is an excellent example of how splitting threads either requires cross posting or info gets left out of one thread).
Just because rc.sysinit.author is not running does not mean that all the hacks are gone either. Just that telnet etc. is not started.
Serial console output or a kernel log from the time of the reboot may help others diagnose the problem.

diamondsw
04-20-2006, 09:58 AM
Do a search for the rebooting when changing channels. I remember seeing a thread that had a similar problem not too long ago. I do not remember what the resolution was, but it was resolved. I think something along the lines of tivoapp being messed up with a bad patch. (I did a search on reboot channel and found it BTW)

Is the symlink you created for rc.sysinit.author set so that it is executable. I think the default may be not to be executable. (This is an excellent example of how splitting threads either requires cross posting or info gets left out of one thread).
Just because rc.sysinit.author is not running does not mean that all the hacks are gone either. Just that telnet etc. is not started.
Serial console output or a kernel log from the time of the reboot may help others diagnose the problem.

Thanks for the ettiquite tip - I'll keep things in one thread in the future. All problems are regarding the same tivo. I did the same search, but for whatever reason did not see the thread; I'll search again.

TivoApp - that would be the test version of the superpatch then - I'll report the bug on the proper thread and fix that once I regain access to the Tivo.

As for the symlink, it had permissions lrwxrwxrwx, and the file itself still had the same execute permissions it started with, so I can only assume symlinking did not work. I think what I'll do is create two files - rc.sysinit.author will be a simple file that only does enough to properly enable access to the box - disable the firewall, start bash on the serial port, and fire up telnet. At the end it will fire off the second file which will take care of any hacks - tivowebplus, tivoftpd, and whatever else I do. Hopefully tha will keep me from ever being locked out of the box entirely.

ScanMan
04-20-2006, 11:02 AM
One thing to note, is that if you have serial bash setup, you can't use the serial jack for channel changing. You'll have to disable serial bash after you get it working for serial channel changing with the Motorola box. Been there, done that!

diamondsw
04-20-2006, 01:52 PM
One thing to note, is that if you have serial bash setup, you can't use the serial jack for channel changing. You'll have to disable serial bash after you get it working for serial channel changing with the Motorola box. Been there, done that!

That was it - removed that and the bootpage arguments (at Jamie's recommendation), and it's working again.

I guess everyone really does use the IR blaster.

cheer
04-20-2006, 02:13 PM
I guess everyone really does use the IR blaster.
Or gives up serial bash, I suppose. :)

ScanMan
04-20-2006, 04:14 PM
My practice has been once I have the tivo "good and hacked" and I'm satisfied it is stable, I disable the serial bash and use the serial jack for channel changing because I have the motorola cable box, and thereafter rely on telnet. I only disable serial bash in the .author file; I have the dsscon and console arguments in my bootpage. However, when I perform some operations, like doing a software upgrade, monteing to unscramble to get a few shows off, etc., I re-enable serial bash, JUST IN CASE...then when I'm done I'll disable again. I don't do it that often so it's not that big a PITA but hey, TIMTOWTDI...

Jamie
04-20-2006, 04:43 PM
I only disable serial bash in the .author file; I have the dsscon and console arguments in my bootpage.Thanks for confirming this. I suggested in a PM he take those out of the bootpage since I wasn't sure if they might interact with serial channel changing. The minimal 7.2.2 image on emule has those set in the bootpage.

diamondsw
04-22-2006, 12:20 AM
Just to confirm, I can leave the bootpage arguments in place as long as I don't fire up bash on the serial port.

cheer
04-22-2006, 12:11 PM
Just to confirm, I can leave the bootpage arguments in place as long as I don't fire up bash on the serial port.
Yes, that should be fine.