PDA

View Full Version : Problems with HD files and TyTools10r4

davidh
04-25-2006, 08:26 PM
I have been reading thru many huge threads in here and can't seem to find the answer to a problem that I am having. I have been using TyTools10r4 to get files off my HDTivo. SD files come across with no problems, Media Player plays them fine even as original ty files. I have loaded cygwin.

HD files seem to come across but if I try to play ty files with Media Player it bombs. I can convert them with TyTools to Mpeg files but it cuts off a chunk of the end of the movie. The original ty files are large 7-8 gig, but of course somewhat smaller after they are converted because the end is cut off.

What am I doing wrong?

eastwind
04-26-2006, 12:15 AM
The solution is found in the TyTool 10r4 thread. Here it is (ready?):

Wait for the next release.

ew

Here's (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=255070&postcount=420) a link to what I've seen.

davidh
04-26-2006, 02:13 AM
Ok, not the answer I was looking for but I will have to wait.

Is there any other way to bring the large HD files (say 7 or 8 gig) over? I have looked at mfs_ftp and tried to follow the readme.txt directions and from telnet I type the line below and get this error:

bash-2.02#
bash-2.02# /var/mfs_ftp/mfs_ftp.tcl
bash-2.02#
bash-2.02# syntax error in expression "((0x - 4) / 256) + 1"
while executing
"expr ((0x$charb - 4) / 256) + 1"
(procedure "mfs_stream_size" line 8)
invoked from within
"mfs_stream_size $part"
("foreach" body line 2)
invoked from within
"foreach part $info($fsid,parts) {
if { [catch { mfs streamsize $part } p_s ] } { set psize [mfs_stream_size $pa
rt] } else { set psize [expr [lindex..."
("uplevel" body line 9)
invoked from within
"uplevel $body"
invoked from within
"transaction {uplevel $body}"
(procedure "RetryTransaction" line 5)
invoked from within
"RetryTransaction {
set rec [db $db openid $fsid]
foreach item "State Showing Part" { set info($fsid,$item) [ntrim [dbobj $rec g
et $item]] }
fore..."
(procedure "rec_info_from_db" line 5)
invoked from within
"rec_info_from_db $fsid"
(procedure "update_rec_fsids" line 17)
invoked from within
"update_rec_fsids 1"
(procedure "init_procs" line 11)
invoked from within
"init_procs"
(file "/var/mfs_ftp/mfs_ftp.tcl" line 1534)
bash-2.02#
bash-2.02#

Any help?

texmex
04-26-2006, 11:29 AM
As an alternative to TyTool you can try hdemux here:

http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36322

Extract using TyTool, then run the ty file through hdemux/mplex. Takes longer, but it's worked for me on several files the TyTool wouldn't process.

davidh
04-26-2006, 06:09 PM
Excellent, I will give that a try.

Thanks!

davidh
04-26-2006, 06:45 PM
Ok downloaded hdemux from http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...&postcount=106 and downloaded mplex from http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/sh...8&postcount=52

Tested it out on a HD file I have that I downloaded with TyTools
Typed the following within a command prompt:

hdemux -i racingstripes-.ty -v racingstripes.m2v -a rac
ingstripes.m2a

Here is the output:

Version 0.13
Source is racingstripes-.ty
Video frame size is 1280x1088 - high definition. Frame rate 29.970030
Video bit rate is 65000000 bits/sec., 65000 Kbit/sec.
Audio timestamp offset: 812.277778 ms
AC3 audio at 48kHz, 1536 bytes/sync frame
Reported datarate 65384 Kbit/sec. (65000+384)
Proceed with remuxer:
mplex -f 8 -O 812ms -r 153701 racingstripes.m2a racingstripes.m2v -o <ou
tfile>.mpg
Warning: Skipping chunk 57695 due to timestamp discontinuity
305560864 audio stream bytes 2932356316 video stream bytes

1) What is this error?
2) I did not run mplex, I only type the above hdemux line, yet it looks like mplex got run. Is that correct or do I still have to run mplex?

Let me know.
Thanks

cheer
04-26-2006, 08:12 PM
Mplex did not run -- hdemux is simply giving you the command line to use when you run mplex.

Someone who understands this stuff a lot better than I can probably give a detailed explanation of the error, but in essence it means a timestamp mismatch was found -- could be corruption in the stream (rainfade or whatever).

davidh
04-27-2006, 02:19 PM
Cool, I ran both of those programs on the HD file and it looks like it worked.

Ran a 2nd HD file through and got errors also. Have not checked to see if it also plays fine though.

I'll keep researching the different errors I keep getting.

Thanks a million on your suggestion on using hdemux.

cheer
04-27-2006, 05:37 PM
I have found some OTA streams that die both with TyTool and with hdemux. Until TyTool (or hdemux) is updated, I figure I'm stuck on those.

davidh
04-27-2006, 08:02 PM
Yes, I will keep trying to work with these. Now I am going to move on to trying to condense them down in size and burn them to a DVD. If that is as complicated as this has been, it will be an up hill battle.

Thanks for your help...and Go Angels!

bcc
04-27-2006, 09:39 PM
Warning: Skipping chunk 57695 due to timestamp discontinuity
1) What is this error?Well first, it's just a warning, not by itself an error. Typically the .ty files extracted from a tivo contain garbage chunks at the end, and I was printing this warning when I encountered several such garbage chunks. You can tell by the chunk # vs the file size whether or not that is the case in your particular situation.
I've smartened the processing since 0.13 so the code would know better than to warn in this case. Hasn't been any real need for a new release however.

bcc
04-27-2006, 09:46 PM
I have found some OTA streams that die both with TyTool and with hdemux. Until TyTool (or hdemux) is updated, I figure I'm stuck on those.A bit of a catch-22 with nobody submitting any problem streams. (Ie there are no outstanding problem reports for hdemux and so...)

cheer
04-28-2006, 01:16 AM
A bit of a catch-22 with nobody submitting any problem streams. (Ie there are no outstanding problem reports for hdemux and so...)
My bad. I will get some together for you forthwith. :)

davidh
04-28-2006, 12:48 PM
I just brought two movies over (HBOHD) with TyTools, then used hdemux and mplex to create a .mpg file. Played with WMP and VLC media player and both movies had a small glitch ever 5 or 10 seconds. The picture would jump just a little bit, especially in action sceens. You had to look for it, but once you see it, you notice it every few seconds. I don't know if some frames are missing or it is freezing for .5 second.

Thoughts?

davidh
05-05-2006, 11:54 AM
I didn't get a reply from the last post. I have since brought over multiple HD files (8 - 10 gig each) with TyTools then used hdemux and mplex to create a .mpg file. All have a skip every few seconds. Any help on what I am doing wrong and how to remove the skip in these mpgs?

texmex
05-05-2006, 12:00 PM
It's probably best to move this discussion into the HDemux thread. BCC will then probably want a sample of the stream and he can take it from there....

rbreding
05-05-2006, 02:52 PM
Your not doing anything wrong. The bitrate of the HD Mpeg files is overtaking your processor. Like you mention in the action scenes....it starts to skip, this is indicative of your machine not keeping up with the bitrate.

Open the MPEG with GSPOT and you will see the bitrate of the mpeg.

You either need to do one of the two things:

1. Get a higher end machine
2. Encode the MPEG's with xvid or divx to reduce the bitrate and preserve the quality.

davidh
05-05-2006, 06:55 PM
I have a fairly high end machine: AMD 64 3800+ with 2 megs ram, a Nvidia Geforce 6800 Ultra OC. You would think that could keep up. I stated it was happening esp. in action scenes. That is not the case it is always happening. It was just easier to catch in the faster scenes.

GSpot has the following under Container: Sys Bitrate: 153701 kb/s VBR

Will encoding it as a Divx shrink the file size yet fix the bitrate so the video can keep up?

I would love help with this, I can get samples or whatever BCC needs. Just let me know what to do.

Thanks for the help. I would love to be able to watch/burn these HD files and see them on my big screen using my computer..

rbreding
05-05-2006, 07:06 PM
Your system sounds alright, but it still isn't keeping up with the bitrate. I have a Dual XEON 2.8ghz machine that still stutters sometimes. Just depends on the bitrate and resolution

To give you an example:

I am working on the most recent episode of LOST right now. Bitrate of the MPEG was about 10080/kbps VBR with a size of 4.01GB @ 1280x720 with the commercials cut.

I will encode it as XVID 1040 x 576 AC3 with a VIDEO bitrate of 2103/kbps and end up with a file size of about 750MB. When watching this on my home media center PC hooked up to my HDTV you can't tell that its not the original resolution. Looks perfect.

davidh
05-05-2006, 07:38 PM
Sounds like that is what I am looking to do.

So if I use TyTools to bring the video over, then use hdemux and mplex to create the mpeg. If I run that through XVID it should work? Are the settings you list (1040 X 576 ACS and Vid bitrate of 2103/kbps) the setting I set using XVID? I haven't used that yet.

Thanks.

davidh
05-07-2006, 11:58 PM
Ok, I tried to convert an HD movie. Brought it from TIVO with TyTools, used hdemux and mplet to create the mpge. I created a Divx movie with Divx converter and a Xvid movie with Advanced X Video Converter and both created files that skipped bad. I would love to figure out how to play a clean HD movie.

rbreding
05-09-2006, 12:14 AM
Sounds like that is what I am looking to do.

So if I use TyTools to bring the video over, then use hdemux and mplex to create the mpeg. If I run that through XVID it should work? Are the settings you list (1040 X 576 ACS and Vid bitrate of 2103/kbps) the setting I set using XVID? I haven't used that yet.

Thanks.

I can't speak to using hdemux and mplex as I use tytool to edit and multiplex my ty's.

I use AUTOgk (since it gets the results I want without all the manual fuss. I use the settings above in this fashion:

1. Target Quality of 60%
2. Under advanced settings Fixed width of 1040, original audio (ac3), and codec of xvid.
3. Under "hidden options" I use force IVTC and an autocrop of 2 (left), 2 (right), and 8 (bottom). Reason for the autocrop is you will see the gray bar on the bottom of all HD streams (at least I do) and it is exactly 8 pixels high.

davidh
05-12-2006, 01:15 AM
Okay, did the following: Took a non-HD movie and used Tytools to multiplex it to a mpeg. Used AUTOgk (with the above Quality and Advanced settings) to create an AVI. The mpeg was 1.9Gig, the AVI after AUTOgk is 2.3Gig. I thought xvid should have shrunk it down??? Quality of the AVI was fine.

Tried the same with a HD file and output was crap. Picture freezes for a second every few seconds.

Still can not create a playable HD movie.

HELP!!!

rbreding
05-16-2006, 04:37 PM
The fact that the size grew makes me wonder.

You sure the quality setting was 60% ?

Can you attach a screenshot of gspots output on the HD mpeg and avi ?

EDIT: I re-read your post and didn't notice that the movie was SD before. I don't ever encode anything that is SD so I cant say for sure. Lets deal with the HD file first.

davidh
05-17-2006, 01:44 PM
rbreding, first of all thanks for helping.

In Autogk, under select output size on the first screen, I choose Target Quality (in percentage) 65%.

1) You state you use Tytools to multiplex and edit the file first. The 2nd post from eastwind in this thread states that Tytools will not correctly multiplex an HD file and that is a problem I am having also. That is why I am trying to use hdemux and mplex to even create a HD mpeg from a HD ty file. Are you using Tytools to create the mpeg on an HD file (like a two hour movie)?

2) not sure what you are looking for in a screen shot of gspots output. Is gspots the output autogk puts out? Please be more descript here and I will attach it.

thanks again.

rbreding
05-17-2006, 03:24 PM
To answer your questions:

1. I use TYTOOL exclusively to multiplex my HD files. I have done series episodes from th 4 major networks and HD movies from SHOH and HBOH. About the only problem I have had with TYTOOL and my HD files is reaching an early EOF during keyfile generation and multiplex. jdiner has stated that this error was supposed to be fixed already, however he has assured us that the problem will be corrected in the next rev. Other than that one problem all of my HD Ty's are processing fine.

2. Open up the problem "HD" MPEG and AVI in GSPOT so we can see the bitrate and other settings, then press CTRL-Printscreen to get into your buffer, then paste it to your favorite image editing program and post it from there.

ScanMan
05-17-2006, 03:45 PM
You need the beta version of GSPOT I referenced in this (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?p=253842&highlight=gspot#post253842) thread.

davidh
05-20-2006, 01:30 PM
Okay, here is an HD movie I ran through Tytool and created the mpeg with Tytool. When played it comes out jerky. Did not run this though any thing else yet because if this is jerky then the next thing I do to it can only be worse, right?

rbreding
05-20-2006, 01:39 PM
Everything looks fine on that. It will be jerky due to the high bitrate so you are OK.

Now run that MPG through AutoGK with the settings above and lets see what you get. The process should take about 4-6 hours depending on the speed of your machine.

davidh
05-20-2006, 03:34 PM
It is running right now.

Thanks

davidh
05-21-2006, 04:27 PM
So this is good but strange. I ran this HD file through AUTOGK and it is now down to 2 gig and it looks fine. Have no idea what I did differently that this time it got smaller but it did. Quality looks good also. I attached a screen dump of GSPOT info on the new file.

What settings do you use for SD files?

Thanks!

rbreding
05-21-2006, 06:32 PM
Looks like you could drop in a little more compression since your bitrate is still good (2466k). Did you use 65% ? Might tray 60% to drop the bitrate down some more and see what your quality is. Honestly at 60% for mine I can't tell the difference from the original on the hr10-250 and the AVI via Mediacenter.

AS far as SD, not sure since I don't encode any SD stuff. Just play around with it and see what compression level you like for the space. Follow the same steps.

davidh
05-22-2006, 12:02 AM
I think I did use 65%. I will try 60 and see what that looks like.

Any idea where I can find a nice simple and concise article explaining what all the different pieces are in regards to this converting. For example, simple explanation for bitrate, aspect ratios, interleave audio, etc. What they mean/do and what happens to the video and sound as you change (raise or lower) them?

MEII
09-01-2006, 12:26 AM
Sorry, the first place I tried gave me a DNS lookup of:

OrgName: ThePlanet.com Internet Services, Inc.
OrgID: TPCM
Address: 1333 North Stemmons Freeway
Address: Suite 110
City: Dallas
StateProv: TX
PostalCode: 75207

I tried several others and it looks like "mesanetworks" is correct. That is my ISP but WTF?!?! It still shouldn't be trying to get outside my 4 walls. I have restricted TyTools from the internet. Seems to work for now, but every time I get the "NowShowing" list I get a message about some internet activity. Curiously the IP seems to change. I'll have to track it to see if there's a pattern. Maybe there is something flakey in my network somewhere. ARGHH I wish there was some way to run a firewall on theTiVo. Always worries me that there are only harware firewalls tween it and the evil internet.

Has anyone had a problem with "/var/hacks" being deleted after every system reset?

Thanks

cheer
09-01-2006, 07:10 AM
Has anyone had a problem with "/var/hacks" being deleted after every system reset?
I think you meant this post to go into another thread, but anyway if /var is getting full the Tivo will wipe it. Bad place for hacks.