PDA

View Full Version : Step By Step Process For Insertion

boboli
04-26-2006, 11:55 AM
For the past few days I have been reading many threads regarding the Insertion Process for getting MPG/AVI files from a PC into an S1 TIVO.

While this post may seem redundant in light of all the long threads on this process, I thought it might be a good idea to post a step by step. Don't get me wrong. Reading all those threads was an invaluable way to learn the process. But it was really frustrating due to the length of the threads, both in time and in capacity.

So, I thought it would be good to layout the "HOW" in an easy step by step process. I highly encourage any who are helped by this to read thru the relevant threads to learn the the "WHAT" and "WHY" of the Insertion Process.

Anyways, here is how I did it. (NOTE: Anyone who can point out shortcuts for people to use or errors in the process, please feel free. I only know that this worked for me.)

1. I had Season One of the Babylon 5 Series in .avi format. Each file size was approx 350 megs +/-. In anticipation of burning the episodes to DVD, I converted the AVIs to DVD (MPEG2) using WinMPG Video Convert. File size of each episode was then approx 1 gig +/-

2. Using TyTool 9r18, I SPLIT the files into m2v and m2a formats, using Option #5 on the AUDIO menu setting.

3. Using Mplex with the following command:

mplex -f10 -r192000 <filename>.m2v <filename>.m2a -o <output-filename>.ty

This created the .ty file

4. Using MFS-FTP, I uploaded the .ty file to the ty directory.

And, viola'.... I have a new program in my NOW PLAYING for my viewing pleasure. :D

It should be noted that this is a down and dirty process that puts the actual text "<filename>.ty" in the Now Showing listing. There is no INFO listing or anything.

That's how things worked for me.

B

flagmaster
05-03-2006, 11:16 AM
Thank you!!!

Been trying to figure this out and it nice to see it "summerized" like this.

JoshFink
05-03-2006, 05:43 PM
Extremely helpful. Thanks so much

JoshFink
05-03-2006, 09:11 PM
Ok.. So I have a problem.

=== UPDATE ===
When I go to convert the file do I need to change the framerate or the size of the video?
=============

I used WinMPG video convert to convert from an AVI to an MPEG.

That worked fine. I split it out and that worked as well.

When I go to use mplex I get a bunch of errors. Many rows of the below error

INFO: [mplex] Unknown Frametype=0

Then

++ WARN: [mplex] Stream e0: data will arrive too late sent(SCR)=5241316 required(DTS)=5094697
++ WARN: [mplex] Audio c0: buf= 4096 frame=002162 sector=00002162
++ WARN: [mplex] Video e0: buf=2719744 frame=001355 sector=00106832
**ERROR: [mplex] Too many frame drops -exiting

Thanks

Josh

boboli
08-01-2006, 08:23 PM
Ok.. So I have a problem.

=== UPDATE ===
When I go to convert the file do I need to change the framerate or the size of the video?
=============

I used WinMPG video convert to convert from an AVI to an MPEG.

That worked fine. I split it out and that worked as well.

When I go to use mplex I get a bunch of errors. Many rows of the below error

INFO: [mplex] Unknown Frametype=0

Then

++ WARN: [mplex] Stream e0: data will arrive too late sent(SCR)=5241316 required(DTS)=5094697
++ WARN: [mplex] Audio c0: buf= 4096 frame=002162 sector=00002162
++ WARN: [mplex] Video e0: buf=2719744 frame=001355 sector=00106832
**ERROR: [mplex] Too many frame drops -exiting

Thanks

Josh

Sorry I haven't gotten back before this.. I didn't know this thread had any replies..

I ran into the exact same problem that you did...

I am trying to work my way thru it.. I'll let you know what I find...

B

boboli
08-01-2006, 11:21 PM
I think I found a solution, Josh....

When using the WinMPG convert program, instead of converting to MPG2, convert to DVD...

Then use TyTool to split the .mpg and then run those thru MPLEX...

That appears to have worked for me...

I'll confirm once the files finish MPLEXing...

B

EDIT: Process is confirmed. I was able to get a good TY file by converting problem AVIs to DVD instead of MPG2...

boboli
08-03-2006, 07:07 AM
Well, I was a little premature with my IT WORKS declaration..

Seems that about 10 mins or so into a 40 minute show, I lose audio sync..

It's barely noticable at first but by the time we get towards the end, there is a good 1-2 sec delay..

Is there a way to fix this or prevent it?

B