PDA

View Full Version : HD to SD DVD

cabanaboy1977
04-26-2006, 04:31 PM
What do I need to convert HD AVI/MPEG-4/MPEG-2 to SD. Currently I have a SD pinnacle capture card and I'm planning on get a HD capture card at some point to record from MY HR10-250. I've been capturing SD off my DirecTV R15 DVR and editing them with Pinnacle Studio 9 and then burning them to DVD. But right now I've downloaded a couple of files that are in HD and I need to covert them to SD so I can get them on DVD. I would like to be able to choose LB or Widescreen (I assume you can do this right) when I convert them (if i can also tranform SD LB to Widescreen too that would be nice). Is this possible? Is there freeware program that will let you do this?

Thanks in advance.

cabanaboy1977
04-28-2006, 09:38 AM
Can anyone point me in the right direction? I know this might not be the right board for this but I figured that someone here would know what I was trying to do and be able to point me in the correct direction. Thanks again.

captain_video
04-28-2006, 11:06 AM
Actually, this is the right board for this type of question. What makes me wonder is whether you've actually bothered to look through it. There's a thread about three threads down the list from this one that discusses this very topic.

cabanaboy1977
04-28-2006, 02:57 PM
Captain video, I have looked but I just see a whole bunch of stuff about changing files to or from .ty (I assume this is some sort of Tivo file?). Which thread are you talking about? I see alot of talk about converting Tivo files to mpeg and mpeg to Tivo but I seem to be missing just coverting mpeg to mpeg and HD to SD. I think I'm just really confused, some help would be great. Thanks again.

cheer
04-28-2006, 03:13 PM
Well, this is a Tivo forum, not a video encoding forum. The HD to DVD My Way thread centers around what we've been doing here.

If you want general video conversion help, a much better place to check is doom9.org.

In any case...to convert an HD MPEG file (or an AVI or Quicktime or whatever) to SD MPEG resolution, you need an MPEG encoder. TMPGEnc and Canopus ProCoder are two that I use, but there's plenty of 'em. Check doom9's forums for lots of recommendations.

cabanaboy1977
04-28-2006, 03:44 PM
Well, this is a Tivo forum, not a video encoding forum. The HD to DVD My Way thread centers around what we've been doing here.

If you want general video conversion help, a much better place to check is doom9.org.

In any case...to convert an HD MPEG file (or an AVI or Quicktime or whatever) to SD MPEG resolution, you need an MPEG encoder. TMPGEnc and Canopus ProCoder are two that I use, but there's plenty of 'em. Check doom9's forums for lots of recommendations.

Thanks Cheer, that's exactly what I was looking for. I just needed a nudge in the correct direction, I didn't know what to call it. Thanks again for you help. I'll be back to check out this forum when I get a chance to crack open my HR10-250.

captain_video
04-28-2006, 04:04 PM
This forum centers around video extraction from all types of Tivos, including the HD model. Ty files are the native Tivo format for mpeg2 files as they reside on the Tivo's hard drive. In order to use them outside of the Tivo you have to convert the ty file to a standard mpeg format, hence the discussions regarding ty file conversion. There are some apps that will allow you to play back ty files on your PC but nowhere else.

I'm not sure what you think a video capture card will do for you. You can use the component video output from the HDTivo with a capture card but it's an analog format. You will also need a separate audio card that is capable of capturing the digital audio output from the HDTivo if you intend to keep the Dolby Digital soundtracks intact. If you extract the ty files over an ethernet connection, as outlined in numerous threads here, you won't need a capture card or special audio card to extract the HD video and AC3 audio, just an ethernet card or adapter.

cabanaboy1977
04-29-2006, 08:43 AM
Captain Video, I already have a SD capture card and an digital input for sound and that is how I make DVD's off my R15 DVR. I didn't know if it would be better to get a HD capture card or hack the Tivo so that I can just convert files. I just got the HDTivo about a month ago so I hadn't really thought about what to do. What got me into thinking about HD to SD converison was I missed and episode of Dr Who and download on off the web and it was in HD.

Does turning on the Ethernet card require that I open the Direct HDTivo or is that something that I can do via the the remote? If it's something via the remote I might try that first. I just haven't had the time to load Linux on a box so that I can Mod the Tivo drive (Plus I'm still a newbie to Linux. I know some basic commmands so there's a learing curve there too). If I can enable the NIC with out having to open the box and just grab the files over my windows network that would be great.

alfonzotan
04-29-2006, 11:36 AM
Captain Video, I already have a SD capture card and an digital input for sound and that is how I make DVD's off my R15 DVR. I didn't know if it would be better to get a HD capture card or hack the Tivo so that I can just convert files. I just got the HDTivo about a month ago so I hadn't really thought about what to do. What got me into thinking about HD to SD converison was I missed and episode of Dr Who and download on off the web and it was in HD.

Does turning on the Ethernet card require that I open the Direct HDTivo or is that something that I can do via the the remote? If it's something via the remote I might try that first. I just haven't had the time to load Linux on a box so that I can Mod the Tivo drive (Plus I'm still a newbie to Linux. I know some basic commmands so there's a learing curve there too). If I can enable the NIC with out having to open the box and just grab the files over my windows network that would be great.

You have to open the box and pull the hard drive to get started.

Having done both now (I have a Pinnacle DV capture box), going the extract-from-Tivo route looks like the best solution to me. Less time and all-digital, even with a reencoding step to SD, has the best result. As you'll find from reading around here, though, hacking your box (to say nothing of asking how to do it) is not for the faint of heart or technically inexperienced.

cabanaboy1977
04-29-2006, 03:08 PM
You have to open the box and pull the hard drive to get started.

Having done both now (I have a Pinnacle DV capture box), going the extract-from-Tivo route looks like the best solution to me. Less time and all-digital, even with a reencoding step to SD, has the best result. As you'll find from reading around here, though, hacking your box (to say nothing of asking how to do it) is not for the faint of heart or technically inexperienced.

Thanks, Alfonzotan. Per your suggestion, I think I have to crack it open when I get the time (the wife and 3 kids keep me busy) so i can get the best sound/picture. My technical experience is fairly good, I'm just lacking on the linux/unix side of the house. I've been using DOS/windows all my life and have no issues building windows pc's. So hopefully the linux/unix stuff won't be that hard. The one thing I do know is not to boot the Tivo drive with a Windows O/S.

cheer
04-29-2006, 03:26 PM
Thanks, Alfonzotan. Per your suggestion, I think I have to crack it open when I get the time (the wife and 3 kids keep me busy) so i can get the best sound/picture. My technical experience is fairly good, I'm just lacking on the linux/unix side of the house. I've been using DOS/windows all my life and have no issues building windows pc's. So hopefully the linux/unix stuff won't be that hard. The one thing I do know is not to boot the Tivo drive with a Windows O/S.
You'll be fine. Just do some reading around here, but briefly:

Pull the drive and cable it up to your PC
Boot off of a boot CD; I recommend the $5 Enhanced Boot CD from ptvupgrade.com because (A) it works well, (B) it understands Tivo parition maps, and (C) it comes with the killhdinitrd'd kernels ready to go
Use bootpage to figure out what your boot and root partitions are
Use dd to copy a 3.1.5 killhdinitrd'd kernel to the boot partition
Create a file called rc.sysinit.author on the root partition in /etc to load up a telnet daemon, ftp daemon, and the like as well as load your USB drivers and set your ip address, etc.
Install AlphaWolf's all-in-one utilities onto the root partition
Modify your bootpage to turn off software upgrades, set the console rate, and so on
Put it all back together, connect your USB-Ethernet adapter, and boot up

Pretty much everything else you can do over the network.

I don't think I've forgotten any of the main steps, but read the stickies in the newbie forum since I haven't double-checked my notes. If there are terms or things in the above list that you do not understand, search the forum and read, read, read.

I barely knew any linux at all when I started, but I didn't find that to be a big roadblock.

cabanaboy1977
04-29-2006, 03:45 PM
I barely knew any linux at all when I started, but I didn't find that to be a big roadblock.

That makes me feel better. Thanks for the tip on the boot CD. Once I've done all of that to the TIVO's HD will I be pretty well set to run things from the windows side of things? or should i setup my pc with a dual boot to Linux and Windows. I've got alot of reading ahead of me.

cheer
04-29-2006, 04:35 PM
That makes me feel better. Thanks for the tip on the boot CD. Once I've done all of that to the TIVO's HD will I be pretty well set to run things from the windows side of things? or should i setup my pc with a dual boot to Linux and Windows. I've got alot of reading ahead of me.
You don't need linux on your PC at all. The boot CD will boot up linux, but you only need that to prep your Tivo's hard drive.

At that point on Windows you just need a decent telnet and ftp client. I use SecureCRT for telnet, but only because I need it for work. Lots of people like SmartFTP, but I don't -- the UI is too odd. FlashFXP seems to work very well.

Of course, there are plenty of other tools you will want on your PC...TyTool perhaps, maybe HDTV2DVD, VideoReDo...oh, the possibilities are endless.

cabanaboy1977
04-29-2006, 04:56 PM
You don't need linux on your PC at all. The boot CD will boot up linux, but you only need that to prep your Tivo's hard drive.

At that point on Windows you just need a decent telnet and ftp client. I use SecureCRT for telnet, but only because I need it for work. Lots of people like SmartFTP, but I don't -- the UI is too odd. FlashFXP seems to work very well.

Of course, there are plenty of other tools you will want on your PC...TyTool perhaps, maybe HDTV2DVD, VideoReDo...oh, the possibilities are endless.

That great, I'm glad I don't have to build a Linux box. I think I might use Tinyterm for the telnet (It's what I use at work), I'll check out the others too. Thanks again for you help Cheer, and everyone else. I finally have a gameplan that seems alot easier then I thought it would be. This is making me wonder if hacking the Xbox is this easy. I don't think I should have any issue doing this, now I just need to get the time.

alfonzotan
04-29-2006, 05:14 PM
That great, I'm glad I don't have to build a Linux box. I think I might use Tinyterm for the telnet (It's what I use at work), I'll check out the others too. Thanks again for you help Cheer, and everyone else. I finally have a gameplan that seems alot easier then I thought it would be. This is making me wonder if hacking the Xbox is this easy. I don't think I should have any issue doing this, now I just need to get the time.

Don't forget to go buy a new hard drive first. You'll want to back up your original drive and put it in safe storage. First rule of Tivo hacking is, you do not talk about Tivo hacking--whoops, sorry. First rule of Tivo hacking is, NEVER hack your original hard drive. Always back it up first and hack the new drive instead.

cheer
04-29-2006, 11:44 PM
Ah yes, excellent advice. No matter how confident you're feeling...work with a new hard drive!

cabanaboy1977
05-01-2006, 01:47 PM
Don't forget to go buy a new hard drive first. You'll want to back up your original drive and put it in safe storage. First rule of Tivo hacking is, you do not talk about Tivo hacking--whoops, sorry. First rule of Tivo hacking is, NEVER hack your original hard drive. Always back it up first and hack the new drive instead.

Thanks for the advice, I think I get a bigger drive while I'm at it. What's the biggest single drive that I can put in there? Cheer, does that disk that your talking about have a utility to copy the drive? I've here about something called "DD"? which I understand is a linux command for coping whole drives? I've only used cp and mv to copy and move files.

captain_video
05-01-2006, 03:50 PM
The dd utility is included on the MFS Tools boot CD (i.e., ptvupgrade LBA48 enhanced CD or universal boot CD). Check Hinsdale's How To for the correct syntax to copy an entire drive.

cabanaboy1977
05-01-2006, 04:40 PM
Thanks Captain Video.

Wolffpack
05-01-2006, 06:38 PM
Hey cabanaboy, check out the deals at the top of the forum. Not bad pricing on a 400Gb and 500GB drive. I upgraded to the 400GB in January. When you restore to the new drive make sure you pay attention to the larger swap space size and the "-r" parm.

avootuyu
05-01-2006, 08:43 PM
Dear
We are mobile phones wholesalers.We deals on all brands and models of mobile phones such as Nokia,Motorola,Samsung,Sony Ericsson,Sagem,Nextel,Sidekick II,Sprint,Apple ipods,laptop,Video Games and many more at very cheap prices.We are using this medium to look for buyers of mobile phones. Do kindly reply back if you are interested and as you do you will be glad you do, you can reach us through our email address.
Thank's and God bless

Anita Willson

Nokia N90......US $170
Nokia N91......US $170
Nokia N92......US $200
Nokia N93......US $230
Sony Ericsson K500i-- US$180
Sony Ericsson K700i-- US$189
Sony Ericsson W800i-- us$210
Samsung SGH-X610-- US$140
Samsung SGH-Z105-- US$120
Motorola MPX200-- US$180
Motorola V3Razor-- US$150
Motorola V3Razor Gold D&G--US$200
Nextel i830-- US$115
Nextel i860-- US$125
Nextel i930-- US$140
PalmOne Tungsten C === $140
PalmOne Zire 31 === ==$65
palm Treo 650======$240
Xbox 360....$180
Playstation3$200
Apple 6 GB ipod mini green
m9807ll/a.....US$64.00
New apple 60 GB video ipod....US$140.00
New apple 30 GB video ipod....US$120.00

Kindly get back to us with the phones of your choice and your full shiping address/phone number for processing of your order package upon payment verification online via western union data base and your package will get to your doorstep in 48hour(2working days) of shipment.

Name:Anita Willson
Address:23 Dockyard crescent
Email:mobiletradingltd@earthlink.net
Mobile Number:+2348020311123.
Thanks and God Bless You.
SERIOUS AND LEGIT BUYERS

captain_video
05-02-2006, 08:01 AM
This kind of spam post is not welcome here. There is a For Sale section for posting things like this.

cabanaboy1977
05-02-2006, 09:02 AM
Hey cabanaboy, check out the deals at the top of the forum. Not bad pricing on a 400Gb and 500GB drive. I upgraded to the 400GB in January. When you restore to the new drive make sure you pay attention to the larger swap space size and the "-r" parm.

Hello Wolffpack, thanks for the tip. Now I just need to convince the wife that I need a new HD :D.

alfonzotan
05-02-2006, 03:58 PM
The 500GB drive in that thread dropped to $199.99. That's by far the cheapest price I've seen for half a TB (disclaimer: I have no idea if a Tivo could handle that size drive).

http://shop4.outpost.com/product/4697778