PDA

View Full Version : Confused and need some simple answers

reveille
05-04-2006, 04:31 PM
Hey all, thanks for the wealth of knowledge here, it's appreciated. Unfortunately, it's a bit too much for a newb like me, and given the massive number of variants in configurations, I'm having a devil of a time getting things in order. So after 4 days of getting myself tied up in knots, I'll just ask.

I have a Hughes HDVR2 DirecTiVo Series2, OS 6.2 (not sure of the kernel since I'm at work) with basic hacks, like networking and telnet (installed through PTVnet, unwisely wasting money for imaginary convenience).

I attempted to use Tytools and tserver to extract video, but it refuses to recognize the files (after I Make the Keyfile, I try to Edit the Keyfile, but it fails, saying it's not a valid keyfile). I figured it was because the files were still encrypted. Is this the case? Or do tools like tytools and mfs_ftp unencrypt on the fly, or do I still need to make changes to the TiVo?

My main question is (and I'm not looking for tool locations or steps to run the tools) if I want to disable encryption for both current and future recordings, and pull them off to an external machine, what do I need? So far, it seems like I need:

killhdinitrd
monte
S2_unscramble

Is this a correct assumption? Or are my wires completely crossed? :P

The most confusing aspect of all of this, for me, is monte. Why do I need to use it in order to use the S2_unscramble?

EDIT: Of course, now that I've written this down, I've gone back and read over everything I've compiled so far, and am now only MORE confused.. All I want to do is copy videos from my TiVo to my PC.. That's all! @_@ And I tried the S2_unscramble method without doing anything else, but the TiVo just sat there at the initial Boot screen, so I figured that was the wrong procedure. :P

Thanks in advance.

ScanMan
05-04-2006, 08:09 PM
S2_Unscramble is only necessary to unscramble previously recorded shows on your tivo. If you just want to disable encryption going forward and have the ability to extract shows to your PC, you want to research Superpatch. Read the release thread here (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43325) carefully as well as the support thread here (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43326).

If you decide to pursue s2_unscramble just read that thread entirely following the relevant links throughout especially the monte stuff. Do your homework, ask questions and you'll be fine.

reveille
05-04-2006, 09:08 PM
Well, that's as good a place as any to start! Thanks for the info, and I'll add that to my list!

eastwind
05-05-2006, 12:44 AM
The reason you need to use monte is...TiVo's kernel doesn't have the special modifications that make the kernel write the CSOs to the log file so that you can unencrypt the recordings.

ew

reveille
05-05-2006, 02:31 AM
So, I managed to successfully killhdinitrd my kernel, and it boots up (yay!), so I'm feeling a little brave and want to look into Monte, and I found the howto over in the newbie area. Geeze, what a beast. Now, how am I supposed to know which kernel I should use for Monte, and where do I get one? Do I have to manually compile the thing?

Narf54321
05-05-2006, 11:54 AM
<Monte> ... Geeze, what a beast. Now, how am I supposed to know which kernel I should use for Monte, and where do I get one? Do I have to manually compile the thing?

You use a kernel which does what you want. There's a couple of specific-function kernels around here on the forums. If you don't have a specific purpose in mind, you probably don't have much use for monte.

These days, most folks use monte for the S2_unscramble kernel, to remove encryption from recorded shows (those recorded before applying NoSCO or similar tivoapp patch). This is usually temporary, and once all the shows are unscrambled, you go back to the standard killhdinitrd'ed kernel. For awhile, I'd say a lot if us were using the LBA48 kernel to make use of really large hard drives (over 137GB). But the new 6.x and 7.x tivo kernels natively support LBA48 so that's less of an issue these days.

If you have a special purpose in mind, then yes you'd probably need to compile the thing.

cheer
05-05-2006, 11:58 AM
Nono.

There are two ways to approach this on your HDVR2:

Get a copy of the 2.4.20 version of monte, and use the 3.1.5 S2_Unscramble kernel. You'll be monteing from your killhdinitrd'd 3.1.5 kernel to the 3.1.5 S2_Unscramble kernel.
Get a copy of the 2.4.4 version of monte, and use the 3.1.5 S2_Unscramble kernel. Get a killhdinitrd'd 3.1.1c kernel. Replace your current kernel with the 3.1.1c kernel; you'll be monteing from the new 3.1.1c killhdinitrd'd kernel to the 3.1.5 S2_Unscramble kernel.

Caveats to the first choice: the 2.4.20 version of monte isn't completely stable. Jamie has documented examples of where it can just not work, sticking you in a reboot loop or somesuch. On the other hand, it does work sometimes, and I've personally seen it work at least once.

Caveats to the second choice: it's a bit scarier since you're touching your boot kernel. :) Also, you have to hope that your kernel partition and the S2_Unscramble kernel are below the LBA-48 (137gb) barrier on the drive -- this is not an issue if your drive is less than 137gb in size.

Binaries for both versions of monte are here somewhere -- search a bit and you should find them.

reveille
05-05-2006, 01:06 PM
Ah-hah. Okay, this is making more sense. My HDVR2 came with a 3.1.5 kernel, so I just dd'd it out, made a backup, killhdinitrd'd it, dd'd it back, set my boot params, and rebooted. So for now, despite instability, I think I'll try the first monte method, with the 3.1.5 S2_Unscramle kernel. Now to track down the right version of monte...

ScanMan
05-05-2006, 01:13 PM
I've been down this road before, and posted my notes here (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48985)...might help you sort some things out.

reveille
05-06-2006, 05:25 AM
So I tried all of the above methods... First of all, the system won't even accept a 3.1.1c kernel to boot normally; it just reboot-loops. Trying to monte from the 3.1.5 kernel to the 3.1.5x kernel causes a reboot that never gets past the start screen. I'm going to try some different combinations, but I have a feeling tomorrow will be serial cable day.

Thanks for the help thus far. You guys have really helped me get my head wrapped around these concepts.

Thanks
Rev

EDIT: Oh CRAP it works! It just takes almost 3 times as long to boot, so I assumed it had hung! It WORKS!!!

ScanMan
05-06-2006, 12:17 PM
I'm glad you were patient enough to wait...with monte it basically boots twice, once with your killhd kernel, next with your monte kernel.

In case you haven't figured it out yet, to extract those previously scrambled shows, you need to first play them from your tivo for a few seconds. Then you should be able to extract them unencrypted and do what you want with them.

reveille
05-06-2006, 02:49 PM
Yeah, I've been playing like made, and verifying that I've got the keys cached int he kernel log, so it looks like all is well. Now to resolve a codec issue on my local machine. It's always something, heh. :P

reveille
05-07-2006, 06:38 AM
So, amazingly, I got everything working! My final setup was using my stock 3.1.5 kernel, dd'd off, killhdinitrd'd, then dd'd back onto the partition. I monte'd into the 3.1.5x kernel from S2_unscramble, using ScanMan's wonderful script walkthrough. Then I used the manual decryption from S2_unscramble to decode my old recordings (some more than a year old! Augh!), and copied them off with tyTool, and lo and behold, it worked! My issue wasn't with the codec at all, but that the files were still encrypted!

There were a few gotchas with the S2_unscramble, though. First of all, I needed to use 'mls /Recording/NowShowingByBucketTitle' instead of 'NowShowingByTitle'. I also found that mls only shows a limited number of entries. I ended up having to prune a goodly amount, but everything is fine now!

Thanks so much for all the help!

Thanks
Rev

ScanMan
05-07-2006, 08:43 PM
I monte'd into the 3.1.5x kernel from S2_unscramble
Probably just semantics but the monte-from kernel is your killhdinitrd 3.1.5 and the monte-into kernel is the s2_unscramble (3.1.5x).

So everything is OK? I never used tytool with s2_unscramble (although I do now for my "superpatched" shows); I used the special mfs_ftp files that accompany s2_unscramble FWIW...