PDA

View Full Version : Help with DD 5.1/ DD 2.0 problem

i86time
05-10-2006, 02:55 PM
I've searched for this, but did not find exactly what I'm looking for.

I normally use TyTool 10r4 to extract and make a dvd from a DirecTivo recording, but the wife wanted a dvd able to play on any machine. So, I extract the stream, edit it and output to VOB/mpg (tried both ways). I take that VOB/mpg, run it through TmpgEnc to get it to DVD spec resolution, create vob's from that file and burn. Problem was, TmpgEnc did not accept the audio from the original VOB/mpg. This was a movie on Showtime broadcast in DD 5.1, but for some reason during the end credits it drops to DD 2.0.

So I tried spliting the file into m2a and m2v but the resulting m2a only has the DD 5.1 part (missing the DD 2.0 of the credits). However the original ty and any VOB/mpg I edit from it has the complete audio and it plays fine in PowerDVD and Media Player Classic.

I then split the original unedited ty file and the audio was complete- I just don't know how/ if there is a way of editing them so that it cuts the stuff I don't want and syncs up perfectly with the video after I re-encode it. Anyone have any ideas on how I can get the DD5.1 and DD2.0 audio from the edited file so I can add it back in after I've re-encoded the video? I noticed there are audio options, but I'm not sure what exactly they do. Currently, both Fill Audio Holes are checked and transcoding option is None. Any help is appreciated

cheer
05-10-2006, 03:18 PM
This really is a limitation in TMPGEnc -- it doesn't support DD5.1.

Are you sure the m2a file is missing the DD2.0? How did you check? If you checked on your PC, it may just be that whatever app you're using doesn't understand the switch midstream. On the other hand, maybe it's really missing.

I know Canopus ProCoder works just fine, but you may not want to shell out $500. :) On the other hand, there's an Express version...but the website doesn't mention whether or not it supports DD5.1.

You could try this...use TyTool to create the .MPG file. Fire up VideoReDo (they have a free trial). You can make your edits in either place. Then tell VideoReDo to save as elementary streams. Run the mpv file through TMPGEnc to resize it, then put it all together in DVD-Lab or another authoring application. Can't swear that audio sync will be perfect, but it's worth a shot.

i86time
05-10-2006, 03:44 PM
Thanks for the reply. I used Media Player Classic to play the .m2a files. It lists the length as 1h38m and it ends abruptly at that time right where the DD 2.0 kicks in on the stream.The total length of the movie is just under 1h45m. I forgot to mention that I also split the files using option 8 (Only Layer II to Dolby) and then it output ONLY the missing DD 2.0 portion, but there was some silence before and after. SoundForge (only editor I have) won't touch those files. I will try VideoReDo and report back. Thanks for the help.

cheer
05-10-2006, 03:48 PM
It's entirely possible that the audio was there and that MPC just didn't understand the switch from DD5.1/DD2.0. Or not.

For an editor, you might look at Audacity which is very nice...but I don't think it will touch DD5.1 audio.

i86time
05-10-2006, 06:07 PM
VideoReDo seemed to do the trick. It extracted both the 5.1 and 2.0 audio into the one track and I was able to mux, author and burn with no problem. Thanks again!