PDA

View Full Version : My Tivo Story.

tivo-hombre
05-22-2006, 03:27 AM
I have came a long way towards putting my tivo on my network.
I have a Philips standalone series 1 ptv300 with a 120gb hard drive networked with a turbonet card.

I have came a long way to where I am but have a few steps to go. I have focused on just the current step and am quite proud at how far I got given my lack of experience.

I started out by taking the hard drive out of the tivo and putting it in the computer, I tried the Jenkins boot disk but that wouldn't work. I forgot about the hard drive in the computer and my wife came home, seeing the computer wouldn't boot she reformatted the hard drive putting windows xp. I tried but wasn't able to fix it so I bought instantcake, this was the easiest part of the process. After that I obtained the ip and installed tivo-web. Now I am trying to get either ty tools on the pc or tivotools on the mac for my video extraction. I installed vserver into the logs file and it comes up in tivo web, I have spent the last few days trying to get one of the two extraction programs to work. I have looked through dozens of threads trying to find someone who had the same problem as me, but was able to find nothing. If anyone could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.
Tivo-Hombre

cheer
05-22-2006, 07:02 AM
Can't help you with Tivotool, but for TyTool you need to get tserver running on your Tivo. Tserver should've been included in the TyTool 10R4 package; transfer it to the Tivo and configure TyTool so it knows where tserver is and you should be all set.

tivo-hombre
05-22-2006, 10:24 PM
I have tserver installed but I still get a "error, failed to connect" message. I looked through some old posts and in the instalation instructions it says something about instaling Nowshowing.tcl. But another post said if you have a newer version of tserver you don't need it. I have read through many more posts but can't find the answer. any help would be much apreciated.
tivo-hombre

eastwind
05-22-2006, 10:32 PM
Could it be a firewall issue?

ew

cheer
05-23-2006, 12:03 AM
Is tserver starting up? What do you see when you try to start tserver from TyTool?

No, you don't need NowShowing.tcl.

tivo-hombre
05-23-2006, 12:53 AM
Is tserver starting up? What do you see when you try to start tserver from TyTool?

"Trancode Selected Mode: 0
Ready...
Reading list from the server...
Clear Now Showing List...
Connecting to 'xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx'
ERROR: Failed to Connect!"

I can run Tivo-web and see both t and v server in the logs file.

I have the firewall turned off in windows but I think my router might have one too. It's a Dlink router.

eastwind
05-23-2006, 01:22 AM
Are both the PC and the TiVo on the same subnet? If not, how are they connected? If they are the router probably won't interfere if it's a home user product (not commercial/industrial). Did you try a crossover cable yet? Are you using the right address? Can you ping the TiVo? Telnet to it? What does the output of tserver look like on the TiVo? Have you started tserver?

ew

tivo-hombre
05-23-2006, 01:58 AM
Are both the PC and the TiVo on the same subnet? If not, how are they connected?
I think they are, I have my Mac, pc and tivo plugged into the router.

Did you try a crossover cable yet?
If all else fails I'm going to have to try that.

Are you using the right address?
I obtained the ip address using angry ip scanner.

Can you ping the TiVo? Telnet to it?
I can telnet and ftp. I can also run tivo web which correctly displays my shows and lets me run the tivo from the computer.

What does the output of tserver look like on the TiVo? Have you started tserver?How do I run and look at tserver?

I don't expect anything from you people and I realy appreciate ya'll taking your time helping me.

eastwind
05-23-2006, 02:06 AM
Telnet to the TiVo and start tserver. Then try to connect to it from TyTool. This is all covered in the Help..FAQ. Read it. If you have any more questions after that, come back here.

ew

cheer
05-23-2006, 06:57 AM
"Trancode Selected Mode: 0
Ready...
Reading list from the server...
Clear Now Showing List...
ERROR: Failed to Connect!"
That is NOT the output from starting tserver; that is the output from trying to connect.

What happens when you go into TyTool, go to the Server menu, and select Start Tserver? You should see something like this:

Telneting to the TIVO...
Connecting to '192.168.x.x'
Connected...
We got 'bash-2.02# ' which is the prompt!
bash-2.02# /hacks/tserver
Doing the Lowest PriorityFix...
Waiting for an incoming connection!
What do you see?

tivo-hombre
05-23-2006, 01:10 PM
[/code]
What do you see?

"Telneting to the TIVO...
Connected...
bash-2.02# /var/hack/tserver
bash: /var/hack/tserver: Permission denied
bash-2.02#
bash-2.02# "

I did a search for permision denied and found people suggesting using a chmod. I tried and in telnet typing:
bash-2.02#cd /var/log
bash-2.02#chmod 755 tserver
It didn't seem to work though, I still get the permision denied message.

Offspring2099
05-23-2006, 01:18 PM
"Telneting to the TIVO...
Connected...
bash-2.02# /var/hack/tserver
bash: /var/hack/tserver: Permission denied
bash-2.02#
bash-2.02# "

I did a search for permision denied and found people suggesting using a chmod. I tried and in telnet typing:
bash-2.02#cd /var/log
bash-2.02#chmod 755 tserver
It didn't seem to work though, I still get the permision denied message.

cd to /var/hack
then chmod 755 tserver

..so from the root it would be
cd /var/hack
chmod 755 tserver
...then try running tserver

tivo-hombre
05-23-2006, 02:06 PM
IT WORKED!!

Thanks everyone for the help, it is much appreciated.
I have been working on this project for a few weeks and I finally got it done.

thanks again
Tivo-hombre

Offspring2099
05-23-2006, 03:08 PM
I did a celebration dance when I got my stuff working. :D

tivo-hombre
05-24-2006, 06:52 PM
More jumping and screaming, I got Tivotool on my Mac to work which is good because it's the one with the dvd burner. I did the same thing that ty tool did with tserver except I did it manualy in the terminal(which is equivlant to run in windows) on vserver.
Thanks again to everyone here for helping me.