PDA

View Full Version : Another Tivo™ story.

tivo-hombre
05-24-2006, 08:47 PM
I though I would share this bit of a chuckle with you.

When I was upgrading my Tivo I left the hard drive in the pc. I went off to work one day and noticed It booted up in Windows. What happened was my wife thought the computer was dead and reinstalled windows on the Tivo hard drive. I ended up using Instantcake, which was one of the easiest things I've ever done and I can laugh about it now. Anyone else ever have something like this happen to them?

Narf54321
05-24-2006, 09:04 PM
Not quite as dramatic, but years ago when I just started dabbling in taking my Tivo apart -- After working on the Tivo a few times I started to get cocky about my abilities, taking the drive out of the tivo, doing some hacks on the PC and then putting the drive back in the unit.

There were a few times I felt so confident that I put the drive back in the chassis, screwed everything down, closed up the case and screwed it all back together, hooked up all the wiring, put it carefully back in the entertainment center, and -- and nothing... stuck on "Powering Up..."

Turns out, after taking everything all back apart again, I had forgotten to move the hard drive jumper from "slave" (hdb in the PC) back to "Master" in the Tivo unit.

Even these days, simple little gotchas like that still sometimes get me. But at least I learned not to screw everything back together until I verify.