PDA

View Full Version : UK Series 1 extraction - no sound

AMc UK
05-31-2006, 08:52 AM
Hi,

I've done some searching and not found what I'm looking for. I'm hoping some kind soul can point me in the right direction - even if it's to the right FAQ :)

I've been using TyTool 10r4 to extract programmes off my UK Thomson Series 1 Tivo. Then following the instructions to make an edited VOB file (i.e. Make Key File, Edit key File, VOB Mux file, Create IFO Files/Dirs) then creating a DVD image with the included dvdauthor.exe.

Then I've tried using DVDShrink to burn to DVD-RW which results in a DVD which will play in my Toshiba 330E DVD player but without sound.
The original video is 4:3 but shows as 16:9 with the image partially repeated to the right of the main view.

Nero Vision Express fails when importing the VOB files (I suspect it's trying to recode them somehow).

I don't have any other DVD authoring software but if I need to purchase something else that 'deals' with UK Tivo content then I'm happy to do that.

I hope you can help me out & thanks for reading.

Andy

eastwind
05-31-2006, 01:23 PM
Your TV probably doesn't like the format. You might want to try changing your recording settings to something that is within the DVD specification (search for 544x480 for a thread). There is also a [STICKY] thread in the Extraction forum that details the experiences of many members with different DVD hardware. As for Nero, try burning the AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders as Data and see if it will let you burn that way.

ew

AMc UK
06-01-2006, 04:27 AM
Thanks for the advice - the format may be subtly different as it's UK PAL with 576 lines not NTSC with 480, but I daresay the drill is going to be the same.

I'll give burning the folders as Data a go and see what happens.

Again thanks for the pointers.

AMc

AMc UK
06-28-2006, 09:11 AM
hmmm video thing was down to the initial recording being 480x576(?)
Subsequent Mode 0 recordings at 720x576 have the correct formatting and video displays OK but burnt using 'full disc' mode in DVDShrink they still have bad sound. The DVD player reckons they're using 2 channel MPG sound which seems a bit odd.
If I use DVDShrink 'reauthor' on the same file then sound is OK so I assume DVDShrink is either transcoding or reflagging the audio in a way my Toshiba prefers.

cheer
06-28-2006, 10:30 AM
I do believe that the Tivo stores audio as MPEG 1 Level 2 (".mp2" or ".m2a") so that isn't so odd at all. In theory your DVD player should be OK with that, but perhaps it is not.