PDA

View Full Version : Need a DirecTV Sat Dish

scarabus
06-01-2006, 06:55 PM
I'm thinking of taking my second sat box and TiVo into work so that we can watch the world cup games at lunchtime.

Anyone know where I can pick up a spare DirecTV Satellite dish without having to answer any awkward questions?

labbie48
06-01-2006, 09:28 PM
check eBay, I'm sure there are a slew of them available there. I think have a dual LNB in a box above the garage. If you're interested, let me know but I'd be shipping it from the east coast.

hydrogenman
06-02-2006, 04:49 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Portable-Satellite-Dish-Bell-DirecTV-RV-Camping-15-3-4_W0QQitemZ9733354081QQihZ008QQcategoryZ32844QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

check these portable dish's out

looks like it would fit the bill perfectly for what you're looking for

PortlandPaw
06-03-2006, 09:21 AM
But don't plug that second sat box into a phone line! D* tracks when the units call in and if you have two phone numbers on the same account, all sorts or alarms go off. From their point of view, you have committed theft of service. Your call.

hydrogenman
06-04-2006, 12:26 AM
I know it's all tracked, and there's probably a team that goes after all of this

but I highly doubt they'd go after someone who just has 2 different phone numbers

it's small peanuts, not worth the time/effort to pursue it

PlainBill
06-04-2006, 06:23 AM
I know it's all tracked, and there's probably a team that goes after all of this

but I highly doubt they'd go after someone who just has 2 different phone numbers

it's small peanuts, not worth the time/effort to pursue it
Let's see, DirecTV gets about $70 a month for a minimal sub with two DVRs. If the second DVR is actually in a second location, that's about $65 a month in lost revenue. Doesn't sound like small potatoes to me, especially if you start multiplying it by a few thousand.

PortlandPaw is right - DON'T plug in the phone line!!!! All it takes is some bean counter to claim they're losing a few million a year in revenue and Larry is on a new mission.

PlainBill