PDA

View Full Version : TyTool created DVD menus

dot19408
06-05-2006, 09:05 AM
I'm having a problem with the DVDs I created with TyTool.
There are well over 100 that I created way back starting with TyTool r8, the vast majority were done after 9r10 or so.

I always tested them on my PC when they are done, and they all worked as expected.

However I never tested on in a DVD player other than to see if it came up to the menu & started playing.

The problem seems to be that when I ship them to my dad, he pops them into his RCA DVD player and the menu only FLASHES on the screen for less than a second.

It then plays the first episode and, depending on the disk, plays the next episode or stops playing PERIOD.

I want to force it to exit to the menu after each episode, and force the menu to stay put when the disk is inserted.

Is there an easy way to accomplish this?
Or is there an easy HOWTO for DVDAuthor?

Thanks
dot19408

eastwind
06-05-2006, 12:30 PM
First thing you'll want to do is check the DVD-Player compatiblity tests in the Extraction Forum. Some players just don't work well with the DVDAuthor ouput. If that's the case, you can try a different authoring program (like DVD-Lab) or just chain the VOBs for one DVD together (if you're only concerned about getting the output to your Dad).

If you want to try to "fix" the problem, DVDAuthor is a sourceforge project, I believe. You'll find the documentation and the source code there.

ew

captain_video
06-06-2006, 09:03 AM
I think you'll find that an incompatibility is more likely to exist with the 480x480 resolution DVDs that are created from DTivos than anything else (you didn't mention what your source was). I haven't encountered incompatibilities with DVDs created using DVDAuthor, or any other authoring program for that matter, but YMMV. As long as the final fileset compilation meets DVD specs then it should play when burned to DVD.

Since the DVDs play at least partially on your Dad's DVD player than I will assume that compatibility with recordable formats is not an issue, as it is with so many older players. Testing a DVD on your PC is no guarantee that it will play in a set top box.

There are a number of things you can try to correct the problem:

1. Get your Dad a new DVD player. You can pick up a cheap Cyberhome model for less than $40 that will play every conceivable format.

2. Try different brands of recordable media. Cheap brands don't work in every player.

3. Try a different format of recordable disc (i.e. if you're using +R/RW discs switch to -R/RW media). I've found that many players prefer -R/RW media over the +R/RW types. In fact, none of my DVD players like +R/RW discs at all.

4. Test your recordings in an actual DVD player instead of your PC.

dot19408
06-06-2006, 02:32 PM
Thanks guys,

I tested a hadfull of disks on my players last night.
They are all +R disks.
My Sony 400 disk DVD changer plays them perfectly.
My $20 Cyberhome worked perfectly
My Phillips +R/RW DVD Recorder acted just like my Dad described his RCA, it plays the menu for less than a second, then begins playing the shows.

Sometimes the phillips played all "Titles" through to the end, sometimes it played the first "Title" then stops.

It looks like I may have to buy my dad a "Working" player...

cheer
06-06-2006, 04:04 PM
You might also try -R discs. I've definitely had better luck with -R.

Narf54321
06-06-2006, 06:13 PM
It sounds like the RCA (and Philips) device uses different logic to read the IFO 'interface' instructions (whatever they're really called). I recall one of the old anime distributors (AnimEigo I think) complaining back in 1998 or 1999 that their fancy high-end User Interface menus failed or otherwise didn't work reliably on various DVD players because none of them have a concrete standard to follow. UI instructions which work on one playback machine might not work the same on another.