PDA

View Full Version : Cloning a stock TiVO HDD then extracting from cloned drive???

Subaru4WD
06-16-2006, 10:40 PM
Ive read most the threads here, and almost every guide ive come across. Pretty much, the point being made is hacking a TiVO is a pain in the ass.

I cant risk damaging my TiVO or rendering the TiVO useless. My roomate wont have it. But I need to find a way to extract the shows to backup on DVD. Instead of hacking my TiVO, im sure i can just stick the HDD in my PC and extract shows that way. But im wondering if I can clone the stock HDD and then extract the shows? That way i can put the originall HDD back into the TiVO and have zero risk of damaging my unit?

I know i'll need Linux for this, im setting up a 2nd PC as I type. But I need to know what software i'd need to clone the Original Hard Drive?

Flame away, im a newb... but im sick of reading threads... expecially when one thread sais one thing... and another sais something completely different.

Thanks for any help guys,
-Brian

Jamie
06-16-2006, 10:44 PM
Cloning a drive is easy. Google mfstools. I'm curious how you intend to decrypt the video streams when you put the cloned drive in your PC. As far as I know, that's an unsolved problem.

Wouldn't the newbie forum be a better place to post questions such as this?

Subaru4WD
06-16-2006, 10:55 PM
Maybe it would be, but this is the extraction forum... and i intend to extract the video. I will use Linux for that, is that still not an option??? Do i NEED to ahve the HDD in the TiVO and transfer streams via FTP? There's no way to mount the tivo drive and just transfer the streams that way?

Subaru4WD
06-16-2006, 10:59 PM
Isnt the info i need in this thread: http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23192

In order to extract video to my PC, not over a network??? And wouldnt doing this avoid needing to hack my TiVO???

I just need these videos, i dont need networking or anything fancy.

-Brian

eastwind
06-16-2006, 11:10 PM
Part of the problem that you're missing is that opening the TiVo up and pulling the hard disk is one of the biggest risks you'll have. Most anything else can be recovered from, but if you damage the hardware when you're working inside (with the risk of dislodging a connector or shocking yourself on an unshielded power supply) you might not be able to fix that problem.

You'd probably be better off getting a video capture card and extracting the video by playing it through that if you're not interested in learning what you need to know about hacking the TiVo unit. Or a VCR? DVD recorder?

ew

Subaru4WD
06-16-2006, 11:27 PM
Im smart enough to remove a hard drive without prying and breaking stuff... but, im not smart enough to start hacking into a linux kernel, adding and removing code, and hoping everything works out.

VCR is so 20th century, a DVD recorder i have.... on my computer. The Video Capture card i have, but its AGP and my PC only has PCI Express.

Anyhow... im going to read the 20+ pages on that link above... i hope i can figure out how to extract the .ty files with the hard drive in my linux box. Maybe then, i will dicker around with the cloned hard drive and see if I can apply hacks. But, i would like to leave the stock hard drive in stock form, as a safety net... so if anything should go wrong I can just pop it back in and be like nothing ever happend.

Oh, and for refference, i have a DTivo series 2 tuner.

-Brian

labbie48
06-16-2006, 11:35 PM
Hacking your Tivo is really not that hard. There are many threads on this forum that can hold your hand through the process. It's easier than you think but you have to read and read and read. If you stumble along the way, someone here will help you out. I would start with buying a new HDD and cloning your Tivo drive to it using MFS Tools. Then you can put the original drive back into the Tivo and play with the clone. Nothing gained nothing lost except the price of the HDD.

Subaru4WD
06-16-2006, 11:47 PM
I already have a spare 80gig drive im gonna be using. Im installing Linux as i type on a 2nd PC.

I may hack the tivo later... but i want to accomplish this one goal of just extracting data. But, from what i read in Alphawolfs how-to, i need to run ShowList.tcl from the TiVO before I install the drive into my PC. And in order to do that, dont i have to have a hacked TiVO?

Ive read and read and read. But alot of this stuff is confusing... you all use acronyms for everything, and im getting alot of stuff mixed up. That, and alot of the posts im reading are 3 years old, and like i said before, one thread sais one thing... one thread sais another.

I downloaded a PDF that was supposed to be a 101 on hacking the TiVO, but it was just full of links... im sick of chasing links.

-Brian

Jamie
06-16-2006, 11:59 PM
Sounds like you are on the right track to extract the videos, but what do you plan to do with them? Remember, they are encrypted and can only be decrypted (easily) on the tivo they came from. Unless you know something I don't know about breaking the tivo encryption. The only way I know of to decrypt (aka unscramble) them is by hacking the tivo they were recorded on. There are tools to unscramble on an S2 (I'm assuming that's what you have), but it's not trivial and involves monte'ing to a custom kernel.

Subaru4WD
06-17-2006, 12:07 AM
Great... thats not what i wanted to hear.

ive been reading this thread... but you guys compiled a bunch of threads into one... so the thing jumps back and forth and it makes it very hard to follow.

I guess what i'll do is just clone the drive... try to hack it and go back and forth until something works. My roomate is gonna kill me :o

-Brian

cheer
06-17-2006, 12:08 AM
Maybe it would be, but this is the extraction forum... and i intend to extract the video. I will use Linux for that, is that still not an option??? Do i NEED to ahve the HDD in the TiVO and transfer streams via FTP? There's no way to mount the tivo drive and just transfer the streams that way?No. Unless you've already hacked the box and modified the Tivo so that recordings are not encrypted before any of your recordings were made, then no, there's no way to mount the drive and transfer the streams. Not in any usable sense, anyway.

What kind of Tivo do you have (make/model)?

Subaru4WD
06-17-2006, 12:12 AM
DTV R10.

-Brian

Subaru4WD
06-17-2006, 12:31 AM
Okay... so im at a loss again. What is the purpose of this thread right here???!?!
http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=35312&postcount=184

Sais you can extract raw data from the Hard Drive. But then what!?! Can I not decrypt that data? Why would someone go through that trouble if the data is useless?

-Brian

Jamie
06-17-2006, 12:31 AM
DTV R10.Get out the soldering iron then. You need to replace the PROM with one that bypasses the kernel/initrd signatures checks.

Jamie
06-17-2006, 12:34 AM
Okay... so im at a loss again. What is the purpose of this thread right here???!?!
http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showpost.php?p=35312&postcount=184

Sais you can extract raw data from the Hard Drive. But then what!?! Can I not decrypt that data? Why would someone go through that trouble if the data is useless?
Did you happen to notice that the post is more than 4 years old? You suppose anything might have changed on the tivo side since then?

Extraction might be useful after you've unscrambled shows or hacked the tivo to prevent future scrambling.

Subaru4WD
06-17-2006, 12:37 AM
yeah jamie... thats another problem with this whole adventure. information im reading is 4 years old. Technology advances daily, and i cant keep track of what information is useful and what isnt.

I havent read anything on the R10 being a non-hackable unit. But i guess if you say it is, then i just wasted 3 days of reading for nothing... and now im almost done installing linux... for nothing.

There's no way im gonna be able to solder a chip on this box. There's no way my roomate will have that. Guess im just fuct :mad: All i want is Season 2 of LOST off this so i can make room for season 3. I could care less about anything else.

-Brian

ocntscha
06-17-2006, 01:15 AM
All i want is Season 2 of LOST off this so i can make room for season 3.How about taking your spare 80Gig hard drive and installing as a second drive in the Tivo. You can do that without a PROM chip and it would achieve your goal of keeping Season 2 but providing space for season 3. You'd have to buy (http://9thtee.com/TiVoMtgBracket-s2.htm) or make a bracket for the drive though.

Subaru4WD
06-17-2006, 01:19 AM
Naw, i want them on DVD so i can take em to my friends or whatever.

Its a lost cause. I guess i'll start shopping for a PCI Video Capture card.

-Brian

Jamie
06-17-2006, 01:22 AM
I havent read anything on the R10 being a non-hackable unit. But i guess if you say it is, then i just wasted 3 days of reading for nothing... and now im almost done installing linux... for nothing.Google on "r10 tivo hack" would have yielded the answer pretty quick.

Subaru4WD
06-17-2006, 01:52 AM
I didnt even realize i had a R10 until cheer asked me.

oh well.

Jamie
06-17-2006, 02:03 AM
I didnt even realize i had a R10 until cheer asked me. don't you mean your roommate has an r10? :D

Subaru4WD
06-17-2006, 02:38 AM
its "ours" but she watches the thing way more than i do.

I just use it so i dont miss an episode of lost.

-Brian