PDA

View Full Version : HDTiVo to HD-DVD now possible

texmex
06-30-2006, 09:16 AM
A minor breakthrough over on AVS - it's now possible to burn HDTiVo streams to standard DVD's that are playable on the Tosh HD-DVD player. This can be done using Ulead MoveFactory5 or VideoStudio10+. And thanks to D*'s HDLite, many movies will fit on a standard DL DVD. Here's the thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=7925607#post7925607

So you don't have to wade through 25 pages, here's the history. MF5 and VS10+ both have HD-DVD authoring capability. They've removed the ability to burn a disc image, but you can still create the folders and burn those to DVD using Nero by dropping the HDDVD folder structure on the root of the disc which will also contain the VIDEO_TS folder (which needs a dummy file inserted to enable burning). Both programs will accept the following MPEG streams (1080i) without re-encoding: 1920x1080, 1440x1080, 1280x1080. Now, our 1280x1088 D* streams were causing problems, but it turns out that simply patching the sequence headers to 1280x1080 does the trick. We also figured out how to get 720p streams through by patching the first header to make the stream look like 1080i. It's all in the last few pages of the AVS thread. Enjoy...

texmex

flagmaster
10-14-2006, 09:12 PM
OOOOO!!!!!!

This makes my choice between blu-ray and hddvd lean even more toward hd-dvd!!

How much do these two softeare pacakges cost?

ecrabb
10-22-2006, 10:51 PM
Just an FYI... unless you feel like reading 47 pages (seriously) of the development of the HD-DVD authoring process, go straight to the new sticky...

The AVS Guide to HD DVD Authoring (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=705146)

Growler
10-23-2006, 05:27 AM
Just an FYI... unless you feel like reading 47 pages (seriously) of the development of the HD-DVD authoring process, go straight to the new sticky...

The AVS Guide to HD DVD Authoring (http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=705146)

Nice find. All this is geared toward either MF5 or Nero. I am working on a project in DVD Lab Pro. It can not accept HD video.

I have programs record OTA via the HR10-250 D*Tivo. I extracted the file to my hard drive as an MPG using TyTool. I took VideoReDo and edited out the commercials.

How can I prep the file for use in DVD-Lab? When I select the file in DVD-Lab and de-mux it I get an error

Cause: Wrong FPS
Size: 1280x720 FPS:59.94, Aspect 16.9

I do not care if I lose a bit of the picture quality just as long as I get it to work right in DVD-Lab.

flagmaster
10-23-2006, 10:02 AM
If you dont mind loosing the HDTV quality and just want it to be in wide screen and 5.1 at 720 x 480 native res, you can use "hdtv2dvd" program to rescale it, it even has a nice autio fit setting to make it fit nicly onto a singal layer dvd.
But this again will zap the HDTV part of it.

If you want to record full res, look into a dvhs recorder unit and put it onto tape.

I hate tape, so Im going the route of VERY LARGE hard drives on my PC, and just streaming them out to the dvhs deck for hdtv decoding over firewire.

beeing able to put these onto hd-dvd in full hd would be nice indeed.

bcc
10-23-2006, 01:38 PM
beeing able to put these onto hd-dvd in full hd would be nice indeed.You can leave your HD recordings on an HTPC, no transcoding required, for about $0.25/gb, instead of trying to convert to HD-DVD and buying more expensive (and less reliable?) optical media.

AlphaWolf
10-23-2006, 05:15 PM
Don't toshiba players support h.264? Why not transcode these to h.264? That way you could use uber cheap single layer DVD's.

texmex
10-23-2006, 05:43 PM
Don't toshiba players support h.264? Why not transcode these to h.264? That way you could use uber cheap single layer DVD's.

There is no [consumer level] software available to author h.264 (or VC-1 for that matter) streams to HD-DVD. Hopefully that will change soon - early 2007 maybe?

gottahavit
12-02-2006, 08:27 PM
has anyone succeeded in getting tytool to ake an mpeg that does not need re-encoding to make an HD DVD?

texmex
12-05-2006, 04:56 PM
has anyone succeeded in getting tytool to ake an mpeg that does not need re-encoding to make an HD DVD?

Yes - but I only use tytool to generate the initial mpeg. I run every file through VideoRedo (edit and/or quick stream fix) before loading in ULead. For D* 1080i you'll need to patch headers from 1088 to 1080. For 720p you may need to "trick" Ulead into accepting the file (read the guide linked earlier). You also may want to try tytompg as an alternative to tytool to generate mpeg.

gottahavit
12-05-2006, 09:49 PM
Yes - but I only use tytool to generate the initial mpeg. I run every file through VideoRedo (edit and/or quick stream fix) before loading in ULead. For D* 1080i you'll need to patch headers from 1088 to 1080. For 720p you may need to "trick" Ulead into accepting the file (read the guide linked earlier). You also may want to try tytompg as an alternative to tytool to generate mpeg.

Thanks for the response, I did try tytompg, I have not tried running it through video redo. I will try that tomorrow, thanks

captain_video
12-08-2006, 10:49 AM
I had been sitting on the fence regarding which HD format to buy, if any. I wanted to wait until the dust settled before making the investment but having the ability to use existing DVD-Rs with my current DVD burner pushed me over to the HD-DVD camp. I placed an order for a Toshiba HD-A2 player yesterday. It should complement my HDTivos and new HTPC quite nicely.;)

gottahavit
12-09-2006, 06:45 PM

are you setting any specific options in VideoRedo. I have tried editing and quick fix, neither seems to leave my file compatible for Ulead?

captain_video
12-10-2006, 09:27 AM
Did you use HDPatch to convert the headers from 1088 to 1080? Make sure you have Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0 installed or HDPatch won't work. Check the bitrate settings to see if the recording isn't showing an unusually high bitrate. You may need to change this to prevent DMF from re-encoding the files.

I'm in the process of trying this myself for the first time. I reactivated the HD package with DTV after discovering they took TNT-HD away from us and included it with the HD package. I've already recorded a few HD movies and I'm looking forward to getting this going.

gottahavit
12-10-2006, 02:58 PM
Did you use HDPatch to convert the headers from 1088 to 1080? Make sure you have Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0 installed or HDPatch won't work. Check the bitrate settings to see if the recording isn't showing an unusually high bitrate. You may need to change this to prevent DMF from re-encoding the files.

I'm in the process of trying this myself for the first time. I reactivated the HD package with DTV after discovering they took TNT-HD away from us and included it with the HD package. I've already recorded a few HD movies and I'm looking forward to getting this going.

I did get ths to wrok, the issue was the bitrate. Now I am trying to figure out how to get the stuttering to stop. Plays ok on my xbox 360 mostly but occasionally stutters and then ffwds to catch up. May be just won't work well with xbox

captain_video
12-16-2006, 08:55 AM
I've heard that some people have had issues with playback on the XBox HD-DVD add-on player. It doesn't sound like it's a problem with the player but something in the recording process. Make sure you're using quality DVD blanks for recording. Avoid any of the off brands and stick with good recordable discs like Taiyo Yuden. Make sure you're recording with the XBox compatibility mode checked. YOu can change the bitrate setting in VideoReDo. When you select the Save As option you will see an Options button in the Save As dialog box that opens up. Click on the Options button and you'll see a field where you can change the bitrate. Mine's been set to 15 Mbps for working with SD programs so I may need to bump it back up for HD content.

I just received my Toshiba HD-A2 yesterday and tried out a few of the discs I had burned using the AVS Forums guide. They all played perfectly using content culled from DTV HD broadcasts. I haven't tried it with any OTA recordings yet but that's next on my list. I'm waiting for a few miscellaneous items to complete my HTPC build so I'll be experimenting with recorded content from it when I get it up and running over the holidays.

spaceman1013
01-09-2007, 07:57 PM
Roxio DVDit Pro HD for the PC can now create/author Blu-ray discs with HD content.

http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/dvdit/hd/overview.html

I assume one should be able to import that HD mpg file that tytool gives you as a video asset into DVDit HD and author it unchanged and in its full HD glory to a blu-ray disc. Although, I think I read here that Tivo HD content is store in an odd resolution and not in the standard HD approved resolutions. However, maybe that HDPatch program to patch the headers and fool the authoring program might work with DVDIt.

I do not own DVDIt HD, but if someone gets this working with Tivo HD content playable on a Blu-Ray disc, then please let us know.

captain_video
01-09-2007, 09:07 PM
DVD Movie Factory 5 can also author Blu-Ray discs. I would imagine by now that someone has tried authoring a BD disc using the same technique but I haven't heard anything to that effect. You might try monitoring the threads over at the AVS Forums to see what's up in that area. I haven't had a chance to keep up with the latest updates on HD disc authoring since my main PC's motherboard decided to literally fry itself right before the holidays. I've got a backlog of HD recordings waiting to be authored to DVD.

cia_viewer
08-23-2008, 04:59 PM
I have used TiVo Desktop 2.6.1 to copy one of several programs from my HD-TiVo to my WinXP PC.

I have downloaded MPEG_Streamclip_1.2 with QuickTimeAlt181
as well as TyTool10r4

I also have Roxio Creator LE...

I am lost in this 'tower of babel'! I am out of my league with video files.

The programs are on my PC as *.tivo files. I want to put them on DVDs in a usable form for later viewing on my DVD Player (Sony SONDVPNS725P).

Help, Please!

cia_viewer
08-31-2008, 03:38 PM
Following a suggestion, I downloaded 'DirectShow Dump' utility and ran it to decrypt my file.tivo to file.mpg.

The new file was about the same size as original.

I used Roxio 'MyDVD LE' to burn the .mpg file onto a 4.7GB DVD. The DVD played successfully.

The program, viewed from the DVD, was a little grainer than the original (480p).

Is that par for the course, or operator error?