PDA

View Full Version : TiVo, simply how to convert .TiVo files to Mpeg?

lelecarabina
06-30-2006, 04:00 PM
Hi, everyone. I'm a confused girl looking for a simple way to convert .TiVo files to .Mpeg files. I used the Tivo's software for file transfer (TiVo Desktop), but it turns the files into .TiVo files. I have wireless connection in my house and connecting to Tivo by telnet (or any modem way) just can't be done around here. See, the files don't come to me as .ty files. So, the 2 amazing softwares TyTool and TyStudio are useless because for some reason I can't access Tivo from my wireless network, maybe because of the router security or whatever. So the only way to do so is by the software Tivo Desktop. This is so frustrating! I transfer the shows to my computer but there is no software able to convert them to mpeg.

Can any of you guys help me? Please!

Jamie
06-30-2006, 04:07 PM
Most of us here have hacked tivos, so we use .ty and .tmf drm free formats rather than .tivo files. Sounds like you are running on an unhacked tivo, so all your extracted files will be drm protected.

This (http://www.zatznotfunny.com/ttg.htm) site has info about using TiVoDesktop, TiVoToGo and freeing mpeg video from the drm'd .tivo files.

cheer
06-30-2006, 04:21 PM
What Jamie said. Also, look for something called directshowdump -- I think that's what EtiVo uses.

texmex
06-30-2006, 05:51 PM
VideoRedo claims to support .tivo files. If true, you could open the files in VideoRedo, edit out commercials if you want, then save as MPEG. I'm not sure how they get around the DRM, and I don't have any .tivo files to try. You can download a free trial version to see if it actually works:

VideoRedo (http://www.videoredo.com/index.html)

Vegas
06-30-2006, 06:51 PM
(Videoredo does not support the .TiVo format files. You have to convert to mpg first.)
Bad info, See post 8

directshowdump is your best bet.

Vegas

Jamie
06-30-2006, 07:04 PM
Videoredo does not support the .TiVo format files. You have to convert to mpg first.You sure? Their spec sheet says the newest version does support .tivo files (input only). On their forums, their announcments say that their current beta supports .tivo for output too. As far as I know, the only advantage of outputing in .tivo format is that it preserves the show metadata (title, series grouping, etc).

cheer
06-30-2006, 07:17 PM
VideoReDo does now support .tivo files -- happened sometime around the beginning of the year. I've never tried it and don't know how it works, but I'd guess it prompts you for the password when you first open the file.

Vegas
06-30-2006, 07:59 PM
VideoReDo does now support .tivo files -- happened sometime around the beginning of the year. I've never tried it and don't know how it works, but I'd guess it prompts you for the password when you first open the file.

Your right, my bad. From there site:

Enhance: Support for Tivo To Go Files. VideoReDo will now read .tivo files downloaded from your Series 2 Tivo. Requires the Tivo reader and media access key which are part of the free Tivo To Go package. Please see the Tivo site for information and downloads.

When I opened a .TiVo file in the latest version it locked up. Looks like you need Tivodesktop installed to make it work.

Vegas

lelecarabina
07-05-2006, 11:25 AM
Yes, I came back here to tell that. I made a research at Tucows.com and found VideoReDo. After you installed TiVo Desktop and transferred the tivo show to your computer via network, you open the .tivo file with VideoReDO and it converts it into .MPEG. It is amazing! Now I can put the video file in Ulead Video Studio or any other software that works with Mpeg and burn my dvd.

Thank you, guys.
See you
Lele

VideoRedo claims to support .tivo files. If true, you could open the files in VideoRedo, edit out commercials if you want, then save as MPEG. I'm not sure how they get around the DRM, and I don't have any .tivo files to try. You can download a free trial version to see if it actually works:

VideoRedo (http://www.videoredo.com/index.html)