PDA

View Full Version : Shrinking shows while still on DTivo.

rbivins
07-08-2006, 02:14 AM
Hello,

Is there a way to downsample a show while its still on the DTivo? That way, it could be streamed over the internet, much like the Slingbox. I can d/l shows over the 'Net, but it takes about 15 hours per one hour of show! But then, the shows are about 1 GB per hour. My DSL upload speed is only 128k. :(

I've been thinking of this for quite a while, just don't know how to do it.

Any ideas, I'd appreciate it.

--Robert

Vegas
07-08-2006, 09:26 AM
Not while its still on the Tivo.
Search for tystreamer and/or Etivo they should do what your looking for.

Vegas

rbivins
07-08-2006, 12:11 PM
Hmmm...I thought as much. Thanks for the heads-up, though.

rbivins
07-08-2006, 05:37 PM
Not while its still on the Tivo.
Search for tystreamer and/or Etivo they should do what your looking for.

Vegas

Vegas,

Good post. Thanks. So, I would have to use one of my Windows boxes as the actual media server? I guess that is not to bad a comprimise. Only problem is that if something goes wrong, I have to go home and fix it. And, I can't set it up from here (I'm away from home, now). Remote access and administration of Windows is very tough and inconsistent. I'll have to give it a try when I get back to my house.

Cool.

Vegas
07-08-2006, 06:25 PM
Vegas,
Remote access and administration of Windows is very tough and inconsistent.

I started with tystreamer running on a linux server because of this, and I didn't like the idea of having to run IIS (not a big windoze fan).

I have since switched to Etivo because of:

1. tystreamer was very difficult to setup.
2. Etivo allows more control over the encoders. i can get a 1 hour show down to 35meg. and still have ok quality.
3. Etivoweb allows a choice of playing the stream directly or download and save to hard drive.

#3 was the big one for me. I spend 2 weeks in China every other month. China's internet gets VERY SLOW in the evening making streaming next to impossible. So now I download the shows during the day and play them from the drive at night. Kinda like this better cause I can skip the commercials.

So far I have not had a problem with Windoze or IIS. I know its only a matter of time, but hopefully if I do I can fix it through remote desktop.

Good luck with your setup.

Vegas

rbivins
07-31-2006, 01:57 AM
Vegas,

Thanks. I've chosen ETiVo as well. I know I'm going to have problems with IIS. But, I seem to be having an intermediate problem with ETiVo. It seems that the only encodings that fail are of movies. Not all movies, and usually they encode OK their second time around. So, since they eventually make it, I think its OK.

It was having difficulty encoding large shows, then encoding the sound for movies (not shows). But, a reinstall of all the various parts seemed to fix those issues.

I'd like to ask how do you tweak the encoders? I would like to shave another 50% off the file size myself. 35GB for a 1 hour show seem to be about half the size of the files that ETiVo uses by default (300+ megabits I think). Thanks!

cheer
07-31-2006, 01:29 PM
Your math is off. He said 35 megabytes...which is a LOT smaller.

To tweak the encoding settings, you need to create new encoding profiles with Windows Media Encoder, or alternatively play with the Divx add-in that bluewomble created.

needo
07-31-2006, 01:34 PM
Another option is after the TV show is fully edited and muxed you may stream it using VLC. It does all the transcoding on the fly and there are VLC clients for every OS out there. (http://www.vlc.org)

lgkahn
08-07-2006, 12:58 PM
This is not another option since it streams on the fly the streaming is done in the vlc client (not on the tivo which is using vserver) therefore since you are pulling the whole show accross and doing the conversion on your client your outgoing bandwidth from the tivo box is the same as if you were watching the entire .ty file...

for now I just bought a slingbox since I don't want to duplicate the shows on a pc ... it works pretty well but there is the digital to analog back to digital conversion taking place which I don't like......