PDA

View Full Version : Help fixing corrupted TY files

stlouisrod
07-09-2006, 06:50 PM
I just recorded over 100 twilight zone episodes on my SD40 Tivo (upgraded to new 120gig HD with PTVUpgrade software), pulled them over to my PC using TyTool (TY Stream mode), multiplexed them to MPG (again using TyTool), and am trying to burn them to DVD.

I noticed that even though ALL of the videos play fine within Windows Media Player and WinAmp (namely because I have run the TyDirectShow application to register that video codec), a few videos report "Illegal MPG audio/video stream" when I pull them into my DVD authoring programs such as Roxio, DVD Styler, TmpEngc, etc. I've checked the "corrupted" mpgs with DeStream just to make sure their internal attributes match all the others, and they do. I also used MPEG Parser to analyze the bad files, and sure enough it reports thousands of "Find not formatted stream or data..." followed by the file position in bytes. Eventually it dies due to lack of memory to store all the error lines! The non-corrupted files scan just fine. I even tried using TMPGEnc Source Creator to convert the MPEG for me. It took 2+ hours to convert the 30 minute video to a new MPEG file which then played back only the audio. The video was stuck on one frame.

Any ideas what is wrong with these MPGs that my DVD authoring programs don't like? And what caused these errors in some of the files? Is it possible that TyTool (or the hacked Tivo software that removes the encryption) sometimes wacks important data within the file that most MPG software applications need? I've read on other posts that pulling down the .TY files in Multi-plex mode instead of TyStream mode is more stable, but I no longer have that option as I deleted my original TIVO files already :( .

Another option might be to play the corrupted videos through Windows Media Player, and capture the audio and video to a new MPG file via a separate program. I've tried several DirectShow filter capture programs, but I can't seem to get them to work.

Yet another option might be to find a DVD Authoring program that recognizes the DirectShow codec like Media Player and WinAmp? Any ideas which one can do this? The closest I've come is MPG Video Wizard DVD, which authored the DVD successfully (instead of simply rejecting the file outright like all the others). However, when playing back the corrupt MPEG on my DVD player, I get stuttering, frame drop, pixelation and other nastiness.

cheer
07-09-2006, 07:43 PM
OK.

First, the TyShow codec doesn't enter into any of this. That's only for playing .ty files directly.

Second, no, pulling them down in multiplex mode is not more stable at all.

When you multiplexed them to MPG, did you check the "fill audio holes" checkbox?

Also, try using the trial version of DVD-Lab to author -- it's one of the best for Tivo-sourced videos. Understand that all files from a SD DirecTivo are 480x480, which is not standard DVD resolution. Some authoring tools have more trouble with this than others.

stlouisrod
07-09-2006, 07:56 PM
OK.

First, the TyShow codec doesn't enter into any of this. That's only for playing .ty files directly.

Second, no, pulling them down in multiplex mode is not more stable at all.

When you multiplexed them to MPG, did you check the "fill audio holes" checkbox?

Also, try using the trial version of DVD-Lab to author -- it's one of the best for Tivo-sourced videos. Understand that all files from a SD DirecTivo are 480x480, which is not standard DVD resolution. Some authoring tools have more trouble with this than others.

Regarding TyDirectShow, I only know that when Media Player or WinAmp stop playing my multi-plexed MPGs from Ty Tool, I run the TyDirectShow register app and suddenly they work again.

No, I didn't have either "fill audio holes" options checked. This makes some sense as TmpENG Source Converter only shows "Video" but no "Audio" on the corrupted MPG files.

I'll give DVD-Lab a try and report back. Thanks for the tip.

cheer
07-09-2006, 08:02 PM
If registering TyShow makes MPG files play OK, then you don't have a working MPEG codec installed -- you should never need TyShow for MPG files.

stlouisrod
07-09-2006, 09:25 PM
Thanks for your replies...

Interesting... I wonder why I've been able to play just about every MPEG I've either created or downloaded with no problems. But then I tried to play the Multiplexed TYtyool MPGs with no luck. Installing the DirectShow app fixed that issue.

I've installed a lot of codecs in the past (WinDVD for MPG's, Xvid for downloads, tons of .AVI codecs, etc.) so this doesn't seem too likely.

However, if you would be so kind as to suggest an MPEG2 codec description that I could download, I'd gladly give it a shot :D .

By the way, I tried DVD Lab, and when I open a corrupt MPG it gives me the following 3 error messages:

Not a 11172-2 or 13818-2 Video Stream
If this is a TV capture it may have wrong/missing header
Please go to Tools and try Fix Stream

Unfortunately, Fix Stream just tells me "Nothing Done", as if it found no errors. I can view the MPG in preview mode, but I hear no sound. I'm not sure if the preview is supposed to provide sound or not though, as I've never used this proggy before.

So is there a way to zero the audio gaps after the fact? Maybe that's the problem. Drat, I wish I wouldn't have deleted my Tivo and TY files after converting to MPG's, but they take up sooooo much room.

rbreding
07-11-2006, 07:01 PM
Just as a side....you do realize that the MPEG's take up the same amount of room as the TY or TMF file.

Always better to keep the file in its original format so you can go back to "fix" them. TY's can be fixed after the fact if they have "problems". But good luck with the MPEG.

stlouisrod
07-11-2006, 09:24 PM
Just as a side....you do realize that the MPEG's take up the same amount of room as the TY or TMF file.

Always better to keep the file in its original format so you can go back to "fix" them. TY's can be fixed after the fact if they have "problems". But good luck with the MPEG.

True, they are the same size, but keeping two copies of the exact same program is wasteful of space.

Very strange that I've recorded and multiplexed many programs using TyTool with no problems. Only recently when working with the Twilight Zone episodes, have troubles cropped up.

stlouisrod
07-15-2006, 02:37 PM
Boy I feel stupid. I had accidentally renamed a bunch of .TY files to .MPG. Once I renamed them back, I could multi-plex them to valid MPG's using TyTool. Then I could burn them to DVD. That's why they would previously only play on media player and WinAmp... because I have the TY show codec registered to play them natively. Live and learn I guess.

Thanks for all the help nonetheless!