PDA

View Full Version : small picture problem with HDVR2

notanotheracct
07-13-2006, 07:17 AM
just so to avoid creating a second thread...

i have a weird problem with mfs_ftp. i set it up correctly a while back and was able browse and d/l files just fine (never tried uploading back). but now i tried again and since i forgot how to use/access mfs, i tried a few things (which i forgot) but don't know if any of them might have screwed something up because when i finally accessed my tivo through port 3105 i could view the directory just fine and even d/l the text files from it, but when i tried to access a folder i got a connection error and couldn't view them. no specific error message just "connection closed".

because of that i decided to just delete everything in the mfs folder from my tivo and reinstall it. now when i try to use "/var/mfs_ftp/mfs_ftp.tcl" from bash, i just get a "child process exited abnormally while executing".

let me know if theres any useful info i haven't provided yet.

MY ORIGINAL POST:

the unit itself works just fine overall but when i use tytool to extract, the video always has an annoying line at the very top. the line does NOT show on things watched directly from the tivo. the unit is a refurb from directv and i'm wondering if the problem is because of that fact, or maybe i have something wrong in terms of software when extracting?

i use only use tytools 10r4 with the cygwin file.

cheer
07-13-2006, 08:24 AM
That is perfectly normal. That line is actually closed-captioning information and other stuff embedded in the stream. It doesn't show on your TV because of overscan -- effectively, your TV is cropping it.

notanotheracct
07-13-2006, 09:00 AM
That is perfectly normal. That line is actually closed-captioning information and other stuff embedded in the stream.

whew, and i was all ready to buy a new tivo! i'm wondering if i still should though, simply because of some rare incidents where the screens picture quality would become horrible (like bad reception from over the air), which seems to have come from the s-video connection. pulling it out ever so slightly basically fixed it, but you never know....

It doesn't show on your TV because of overscan -- effectively, your TV is cropping it.

that's exactly what i figured was going on, i just wanted to double check before trying to burn recordings to dvd. but do you happen to know the easiest/best method to remove that line? for direct PC viewing, it's still a minor eyesore.

cheer
07-13-2006, 09:39 AM
You have a couple options. You can use a player like media player classic and configure the player to crop the line out. Otherwise you'd have to re-encode the entire video and crop it out, but you'll take a quality hit doing that.