PDA

View Full Version : Ty to Windows Media (WMV) Encoding. Without Etivo

Audiophile
07-19-2006, 11:28 AM
Is there a way to convert the Ty files to WMV without using Etivo? I'd like to view them on my MP3 player. I'm looking for something command line or some code. If someone has some code (c#, c++) that would be helpfull also.

cheer
07-19-2006, 01:01 PM
Not offhand...I've never really looked at it since I dislike WMV. Dunno if there's a way to do it without using Windows Media Encoder -- most of the tools I use (avisynth, vdub, etc.) don't seem to support WMV.

cheer
07-19-2006, 01:02 PM
P.S. Because I'm curious...what make/model MP3 player only supports WMV? Talk about a bonehead marketing decision...

Audiophile
07-19-2006, 01:17 PM
The SanDisk Sansa. It comes with a conversion program to move from format to format, but no support for Ty.

Audiophile
07-19-2006, 01:18 PM
Why don't you like WMV?

Vegas
07-19-2006, 01:58 PM
Never tried it, but ffmpeg claims to support WMV.

There is an ffmpeg patch here http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49935 that adds ty encoding support (not sure about decoding). If not you can always use tytool to mpg, then ffmpeg to WMV.

Vegas

cheer
07-19-2006, 02:17 PM
Well no surprise it doesn't support .ty, but does it support .mpg? If so you could just use TyTool or vsplit or hdemux/mplex or hdemux/ffmpeg or whatever.

And I don't like WMV because it's proprietary, because it's not well supported, etc. I have craploads of things around here that can play mpeg4/avi files, or even mpeg4/.mp4 files, but not so with WMV.

osetivo
07-19-2006, 07:09 PM
Is there a way to convert the Ty files to WMV without using Etivo? I'd like to view them on my MP3 player. I'm looking for something command line or some code. If someone has some code (c#, c++) that would be helpfull also.

You don't want to use EtiVo, but what about the standalone Windows Media Encoder "wmenc.exe" application? There are some samples in the WME SDK, including a pre-built batch encoding application "batchencode.exe", as well as a vbs script "wmcmd.vbs".

Audiophile
07-19-2006, 07:18 PM
I want to use Etivo, just dont have the time to configure. I have it up and running. I can extract, but when it comes to encoding, it fail. So I thought I would cheat for now. Thanks for the info in WME. I got it going. It took not time.

ciper
07-21-2006, 05:50 AM
The sansa supports divx and Etivo can encode to divx. Why not just use that instead of wmv? Modifications to the configuration file can make videos perfect for the Sansas default resolution.