PDA

View Full Version : tivo question what else ha

Gunny
07-29-2006, 07:11 PM
Hi Gang

Just for starters, before I get into the fine details. A simple question to see if anything pops into any ones head before I give all the details. I use Tytool and it records ok, and the thing goes to my HD, I use Nero, and everything there seems to go alright, but here comes the sticky part. It plays all right on my computer but will not play on any other stand alone DVD player. I have tried two different ones, and it will not play on either.

Any ideas stick out on this.? I have watched several that I have done this way, and it use to work ok, have not changed any thing except maybe Nero,(newer version) Now it goes good on my comp. but no where else. Open to any ideas. Am using a series 2, Hughes.

Thanks................Gunny

JJBliss
07-29-2006, 07:29 PM
Have you changed media?

If not, have you checked to see if the booktype has changed on the new Nero?

What happens if you use something OTHER then Nero?

Gunny
07-29-2006, 07:34 PM
Hi JJ

I have done them on two different Media's, no change. I don't have Roxio, any suggestions.? "Booktype" I am not familiar with that.?????

Thanks...........Gunny

Gunny
07-29-2006, 07:36 PM
Hi JJ

I am using -R's and I have Phillips, and TDK. As soon as the DVD player reads it it says unsupport

Thanks...........Gunny

cheer
07-29-2006, 08:24 PM
More information needed. Exactly what are you doing with TyTool? Exactly what are you doing with Nero?

Gunny
07-29-2006, 08:36 PM
Cheer

I use tempro to get into the tivo, grab the files using Tytool, install them into a folder, open Nero, using Nero burning rom dragging and dropping video_ts into compiliation files, and burn to a disc.

Thanks.............Gunny

Jamie
07-30-2006, 11:57 AM
Maybe your dvd player can't handle dtivo resolution video. There's already a sticky thread where you can post results and discuss dvd player compatibility with tytool: here (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25689).

Gunny
07-30-2006, 12:40 PM
Hi Jamie

I would normally think this too, but they always have and I tried them on two different DVD players. I have always found what ever I can read on my computer, they will play on my DVD players. If it was just one player it would not work on ok I can see that but two of them, and being they have always worked before. I am sure there is some thing being left off, or being included now that is keeping them from playing. I messed around with the settings on the players to see if there was some thing they were not set up right but nothing worked.

I am wondering if Cheer is going to get back to me with the additional info I gave him.

Thanks and take care...........Gunny

Jamie
07-30-2006, 01:10 PM
If you use the same nero process to record vobs from another source (e.g. a dvd rip), do they play ok on your dvd players? This test should tell you if the problem is pre or post nero. For example, if it is a problem with your media or with nero, this test will fail. If this test succeeds, the the problem must be with the tytool source material.

BustedSony
07-31-2006, 07:50 AM
Cheer

I use tempro to get into the tivo, grab the files using Tytool, install them into a folder, open Nero, using Nero burning rom dragging and dropping video_ts into compiliation files, and burn to a disc.

Thanks.............Gunny

Erm, nowhere there does it say you're actually authoring a DVD. Naming a folder "Video_TS," dragging vobs into it, then burning as a data disc does NOT create a proper DVD. Are you even making vobs from the tystreams or just putting the *.ty's into the video_TS folder? You have to first AUTHOR (Create) and compile a DVD using TyTool's own DVDauthor or DVDlab, THEN ONLY under the project type "Video DVD" in Nero drag the full authored Ifo/Vob set into the Video DVD window (where it shows Video_TS and Audio_TS folders) ALL players will play properly authored Dtivo vobs, though some 10% show the image squashed to the left or hang on the menu. The player is not the problem. Of course a PC will play a data DVD, such as you seem to be making; no hardware player will except a few models that support data playback, like the Philips 642.

Nero can not be used to create (author) DVDs from Dtivo files. If it does anything at all it wants to rerender thus making for horrible quality. Nero will BURN the finished DVD compilation made in TyTool DVDauthor or in DVDlab however.

captain_video
07-31-2006, 08:01 AM
You never indicated you are doing anything other than extracting the files from the Tivo and then dropping them into a folder and burning them to DVD. It's no wonder they won't play on your DVD player. There are a lot of other steps missing from your process. I suggest you look through the documentation that's supplied with TyTools to fully understand the process. There are numerous methods that have been developed to author DVDs using commercial third party software. The most popular method is to use VideoReDo for editing and DVD-Lab for authoring the files to a DVD-compliant set of VOB files.

ozzy52
07-31-2006, 10:17 AM
It's no wonder they won't play on your DVD player. His procedure had been working perfect, he changed nothing, now his procedure doesn't work. Maybe its no wonder to you but it is to me.

Gunny
07-31-2006, 11:50 AM
Hi ozzy

You are the only one that really picked up on that. And I said it because I thought it might help figuring this out. To give as many facts as you can, I have done this trying to figure out some thing by wire you might say, and it is hard to say the least. If the person with the problem gives as many facts as he can then you have a shot at it. What is easy for some, does not always apply to all.

I use to use Nero Express, and it worked great, now I am using Nero burning ROM, and I use it as I described, and I get all to play on the computer, and half will work there and on my players. I have done 4 so far so I am batting 50 50. I know nothing is 100%, you get some floaters here and there, but I would like more like 95% if that is possible. As best I can I am trying to duplicate everything I do. I am getting some from Tivo, and some from other sources. And the same results happen, Tivo 50% and other sources 50%. I have always done it with just these two/three programs. One to get you into the Tivo, one to do the transferring/copying, and Nero to burn. And up until I had the problem with loosing my programs, it worked 99% of the time.

I appreciate all your help really...........Gunny

cheer
07-31-2006, 01:31 PM
Again...we need the steps. The EXACT steps. Not "I extract with TyTool and then burn with Nero." We need "I click this and then that happens and then I click this..." DETAIL.

Gunny
07-31-2006, 03:14 PM
Hi cheer

Ok I did not know how detailed you all wanted me to get. I use Tera Term to get into my Tivo, TCP/IP, Telnet-address of the Tivo unit. Then I go to Tytool-9r 18.exe, Tivo client Alpha #19 rel 18.

Click on---Make key files
Edit key files
VOB-MUX files
Create IFO files/dirs

Then I go into Nero. I click on burn image to disk, click on create a new compilation, ISO is highlighted, click on new, under new I have both folders, video_ts, and audio_ts. Third column has where the files were saved from TYtool, I click on that and all the files come up in the forth column, I click on video_ts and drag it to the second column, it shows all the movie files, I click on burn it, and it goes from there. Usually takes from 4 to 8 minutes, depending on the length of the movie. When it is done I open powerDVD and play it to see if it has copied it alright.

Let me know if this explains it enough, explaining this by this way is difficult, I know how hard it must be to understand it.

Thanks...........Gunny

Jamie
07-31-2006, 03:34 PM
I click on burn image to disk, click on create a new compilation, ISO is highlighted, click on new,
Maybe I'm still not understanding, but the compilation type has to be "DVD-Video" not ISO.

If you like guides, here's (http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/burning_dvd_with_nero.cfm) one for burning pre-authored dvd content with Nero.

cheer
07-31-2006, 04:32 PM
You should also use TyTool 10R4 as it has a lot of fixes from 9R18.

What version of Nero are you using? I've done what you're doing (again, selecting DVD-Video for the disc type and just dumping the files into video_ts) and it works fine on my DVD player. Some DVD players don't like the 480x480 files a DTivo puts out, though. I use Nero 6 -- I found Nero 7 to be horrid.

Gunny
07-31-2006, 04:50 PM
Hi Cheer

I just did the update on Nero but I think it is still 6.0 or there abouts. Good I am glad this makes sense to you. And it works that is great. I guess you cannot change that 480X480 setting. On the Nero 7, I find what ain't broke don't fix it unless some one has fixed the new one, before you and had the headaches. ha ha ha I will try that new 10r4, are you sure is is better.? Cause the one I use works great. What kind of fixes does it have, again I say my 9r18 is not broken. ha ha ha ha

Thanks and I am sorry I did not have all the details...Gunny

cheer
07-31-2006, 07:07 PM
You can't change the 480x480 because that's what the files are. TyTool doesn't recode video (again, except for a tiny bit at cut points). Some DVD players are fine with that, and some are not.

If you are having intermittent failures (some work, some don't) it's far more likely to be an issue with media.

As to changes in TyTool10R4...best to check the readme; there are hundreds of changes.

Gunny
07-31-2006, 07:22 PM
Hi cheer

I just did "2010" from my Tivo, and I am playing it now, playing like a champ. That is a strange movie. Is the best place to download the 10r4 the tytool site or elsewhere.?

Jamie......When you click on DVD movie that is what opens up/highlited automatically.

I appreciate all you guys help really......Thanks............Gunny

Gunny
07-31-2006, 07:25 PM
Hi cheer

I do try to use all good media too, TDK, Memorex, Phillips, etc. I tried those cheapies and they were a lot of hit or miss, and the quality did not seem to be there. I figure if you are going to the trouble and time, it is worth using the good media.

Thanks............Gunny

cheer
07-31-2006, 07:54 PM
Best place to download TyTool10R4 is right here on ddb -- check the sticky thread in this forum.

Gunny
08-01-2006, 06:15 PM
Cheer

I tried the newer one and did not see any difference. It has been so long since I sent it up I forgot how to get the video and audio_ts folders in there one the left side.

Thanks..............Gunny

Gunny
08-01-2006, 11:35 PM
Hi Gang

I am just curious about some thing. When I get to the burn page in Nero, down at the bottom it has what size your burn is going to be. Mine comes up arounf 2400 or 2500, is there any way to change this, spread iy out you might say. Would this improve the quality of the finished movie, or no difference. It compresses it down this small, why. Is there some place to change the compression. My movies always come out great, I really don't think I could improve them, so I was just curious.

Thanks.............Gunny

cheer
08-02-2006, 12:40 AM
Hi Gang

I am just curious about some thing. When I get to the burn page in Nero, down at the bottom it has what size your burn is going to be. Mine comes up arounf 2400 or 2500, is there any way to change this, spread iy out you might say. Would this improve the quality of the finished movie, or no difference. It compresses it down this small, why. Is there some place to change the compression. My movies always come out great, I really don't think I could improve them, so I was just curious.
If you have a DirecTivo, NO. Nothing is compressing them; that's how they come down from the satellite.

If you have a StandAlone Tivo, change the recording quality to Best.

Re-encoding it to be larger would be a tremendous waste.

Gunny
08-02-2006, 01:02 AM
Hi cheer

Yes I am Directv, so you are saying any movie I save to the Tivo is this size.? Thats funny because when I do the process the steps to get it I thought the size showed a lot larger. If so where does the compression take place.?

Thanks............Gunny

cheer
08-02-2006, 12:06 PM
I don't follow what you are asking.

The files are stored on the Tivo exactly as they come from the satellite, in 480x480 resolution. TyTool does no re-compression. Nero MIGHT, depending on the version and what you're doing, but it shouldn't. What do you mean you thought the size showed a lot larger? Give me an example with exact sizes.

Gunny
08-02-2006, 01:44 PM
Hi Cheer

Sorry I opened my mouth before I put my mind in gear. Soon as I thought a little bit and watched what I was doing I answered my own question. How do I creat both the folders in the new Tytool, the video_ts and the audible one.?

Thanks...........Gunny

cheer
08-02-2006, 01:55 PM
You don't need to create the audio one as it serves no purpose. You should mux to VOB, then select the create IFO option and you should be ready to burn.

Gunny
08-02-2006, 09:05 PM
Cheer

When I used the older Tytool I use to take these steps, Make key files, edit key files, VOB-MUX files, create IFO files. Now that I am trying out the newer one Tytool 10r4.exe I noticed when you click on the edit key files, nothing happens, where do you do any editing.? And what is the ISO location, what goes in there.? With the older system I used where the files are going c:\dtivo now that I try to put that in there it will not accept it. So no copy.

Thanks.............Gunny

lgkahn
08-03-2006, 12:45 PM
no the problem is in nero you do not do burn iso image you do advanced mode and choose dvd video and then drag the video_ts directory generated by tytools into the video_ts directory in nero and burn

Gunny
08-03-2006, 12:52 PM
igkahn

Hi>>>>>>>>>>> No I mean when I am still in Tytool I have to put some thing in the ISO box or it will not copy, this is before I move onto Nero. It is like a destination/folder thing I have to do before it will finish copying with tytool.

Gunny

Gunny
08-03-2006, 01:29 PM
Do you mean the avanced mode in Tytools or Nero.?

Thanks..............Gunny

Gunny
08-04-2006, 05:35 PM
Hi Gang

Does having both version of tytool have any thing to do with the newer version not working right.?????

Gunny

cheer
08-04-2006, 07:32 PM
Hi Gang

Does having both version of tytool have any thing to do with the newer version not working right.?????

Gunny
Make sure you have the latest and greatest cygwin1.dll. But no, you shouldn't have any problem -- I have three or four versions on my PC (long story).

Gunny
08-04-2006, 09:57 PM
Hi cheer

Still cant get it to work, and I have the latest cygwin. Can both versions use the same directory.? I have tried putting everything in there and it will not accept any of them.

Thanks............Gunny7

Roger Dylan
08-04-2006, 10:17 PM
You're a Mac user, right? Tivotool to DVD. One step, done. I don't do much DVD but on those few occasions I need a DVD that has worked every time. I guess you're trying to edit or something?

Gunny
08-04-2006, 10:23 PM
Hi Roger

No Mac user, and no I am not trying to edit. I don't fool with that. I did ask when using the newer tytool why when I did the process and clicked on edit I never had the screen chenge in other words give me a chance to edit if I wanted to. With the older tytool I could edit.

Gunny

Roger Dylan
08-05-2006, 12:09 AM
No Mac userSorry, I mistook you for someone else. Perhaps you could pick up a used Mac cheap. You download the file from a tivo (checking DVD format) and you burn the resulting folder to DVD. Too much else to do in life to have it be any more complicated than that.

Gunny
08-05-2006, 12:27 AM
You have a point there, but some times it is the feeling of accomplishment when you finally figure it out and get it to work. What else can you do with your gray matter.

Thanks............Gunny

Roger Dylan
08-05-2006, 12:45 AM
What else can you do with your gray matter.Perpetual Motion. I've gotten close a number of times. Taking Physics 101 and getting to a Unified Field Theory, again tantalizingly close. Understanding women; tougher but again I firmly believe within my grasp.

Getting DVDs from tivo files. Not so much.

Gunny
08-05-2006, 11:25 AM
Well enough of the battle of the wits here, my gray matter is still dealing with this tivo problem. I would appreciate any help here, I just know some one out there has the magic answer here. I have read some of the set ups for tytool but they seem to glance over this thing that I need to set up. I need to have some thing in the ISO, and what I have been putting in there does not work it will not accept it.

Thanks.............Gunny

Gunny
08-05-2006, 03:12 PM
Hi Gang

Can some on please tell we where I can find out some info on the latest tytool, or tell me just basically what is different about it from the previous versions. I cannot get it to go to the edit window, it skips right over it, and say it is done with the editing. And I think this might have some thing to do with it not working right for me. Maybe I ought to delete it and start over again. Maybe I did not get a good download.

Thanks............Gunny

Gunny
08-06-2006, 01:11 PM
Hi gang

I thought this forum was to help people with problems.

Thanks............Gunny

eastwind
08-06-2006, 03:07 PM
Perhaps you're not starting it properly. Sometimes people make shortcuts that don't work right because they don't point them to the right working directory. If you're using a shortcut, try using a command window and see if you get it working that way.

ew

Gunny
08-06-2006, 03:18 PM
Hi EW

I have tried both ways. I cannot get it to accept anything when I try to add a directory. A directory that will have the files for Nero to use. And it all seems to work ok, except the edit portion. It skips right over it. The older version works like a champ. I don't do any editing so this is not that important. but if it messes up the process then I need it to go into the edit portion. So not having a ISO, then it cant find the files for Nero to use.

Thanks...............Gunny

ScanMan
08-06-2006, 03:37 PM
OK, so what does your "Local Dir" say when you start TyTool; this should the same as the "Output Directory" under File -> Preferences. Now, after you choose "Create IFO Files/Dir" and then choose whatever VOB you have muxed. Click on the three little dots (...) next to the "ISO Location" area; it will open a browse folder. What does it show for "Dir: " there? It should be the same as the Local/Output directories. You could simply choose "Add Dir" and then type "dvd" in the box and it will create a subdirectory. If you need to navigate somewhere else, you see those two little dots (..) at the top of the "Pick Directory" dialog box, double-click that and it will go up to the next directory level.

I keep things simple; my "Local" and "Output" directory is "d:\TyFiles" from there, I created a "dvd" subdirectory for the ISO location using the above process. You may need to use the double dots (..) to continue navigating up through your filesystem and even to change drives.

Gunny
08-06-2006, 04:13 PM
Hi Scan man

Thanks for the help, you are the first one that is making some sense to me. Sorry so long but I had to do the cnanges and see what happens. I get this error>There was an error running bmpsy4m, please check the directories for the .exe and the menu bmp file.< Does this make sense to you.?

Thanks...........Gunny

is

Gunny
08-06-2006, 04:20 PM
Hi scan man

Does this newer version of tytool skip editing.? My older version goes into editing all the time. I don't do any editing there, but it still shows in case I want to. Could this be any part of the problem.? In preferences I did not see any place to pick if you want to edit or not.

Thanks...........Gunny

ScanMan
08-06-2006, 04:44 PM
I get this error>There was an error running bmpsy4m, please check the directories for the .exe and the menu bmp file.<Sounds like you're not making the menu correctly. You have to at least create a rudimentary menu, there is currently no menuless option. So you are in the "Make Menu" dialog box. If you wanted to create a title you would type it in the "Menu Title" box and you could also choose a bitmap; but let's keep it simple and leave everything alone there. Now, you must choose an "Element Title" so type in something there relating to the VOB you are choosing. Then, choose "VOB Link" using the down arrow to select the desired VOB. Now, choose "SET ITEM" - this is very important to set the item! You can "Preview" the menu and if satisfied, you can hit the "Create IFO" button and off you go; I would just use one VOB now to keep it simple.

Does this newer version of tytool skip editing?Um, no; but in general after you download the tyfile, you have to "Make Key File" and then "Edit Key File" and then when satisfied, VOB/MUX. Be sure not to rename anything after you've started the process; if you want to rename, do it before making the key file. Also, check out the tytool home page here (http://www.tytool.com/tytemplates/) for some general info...

Gunny
08-06-2006, 06:02 PM
I do exacetly as you are saying, and it jumps right over the edit files. It says done doing the edit, with out ever going to the edit window. Now I have downloaded this newer version twice now thinking I had a bad download or some thing, and it was doing the same thing the first time I downloaded it.

I don't ecxacetly understand what you are saying about the menu. If you have read back to my earlier posts, I have the older and newer version running, does this make a difference. I just tried the older version and it works great, edit and all. I looked at several things as it was doing its thing and it looks like I have the newer version and it set the same, as best I can tell.

Thanks.............Gunny

Thanks...........Gunny

ScanMan
08-06-2006, 08:22 PM
I did read through the earlier posts; you don't have them installed in the same folder, right? Are you using the Tyserver (tserver) to download the ty files or are you using MFS_FTP? You should be using tserver; I have seen better results with TyTool using the tserver.

Gunny
08-06-2006, 09:42 PM
Hi Scan man

I am using tserver. Now you say you don't have them installed in the same folder. Are you meaning the tytools version, new and old.? I don't have either one in the same folder. They are on the same drive, but different folders. I have had the older version for at least 2 or better years, and have done a lot of copying, with success. Problem is you don't fool around with this portion any more, once installed and working, so it is kind of foggy just remembering the process of how I got it to work to begin with. I know it is not that difficult but there is just some thing that is not registering with me on this. I feel like I am at 95% there, and just cannot get that other 5% to fall into place. I don't remember having ths problem with the old version, once I installed everything it sort of just started working right. I appreciate your help and I do know it is difficult helping some one, through the Internet.

Some one commented in a earlier post that there is no problem having several versions running on your computer. I don't know why you would want several versions at one time. I started getting this newer version at first cause like so many other things it is bigger and better, I guess. Or just some thing to do things a little differently. Or even as a backup type program.

Thanks...............Gunny

Gunny
08-07-2006, 02:48 AM
Me Again

When I get to the final phase, and the Process status window comes up, it has 3 items in there, Menu BMP, c:\dtivo, create menu. That is with the newer version, with my older version I only have 2 items, c:\dtivo, and create menu. So I think the error I am getting is that extra item in the box, menu BMP. How do you get rid of things in this box.? I tried deleting it, no luck.

Thanks.............Gunny

Gunny
08-07-2006, 02:51 AM
Hi......Just thought of some thing else. With the newer version when I get to the final process, the ISO is empty, I can get something in there, but with my old version what was in there stayed in there, I did not have to enter it every time.

Thanks...........Gunny

ScanMan
08-07-2006, 11:24 AM
You might want to try just going into the "Local/Output" directory from Windows Explorer and creating a subdirectory. Then, just choose that subdirectory as the "ISO Location" from the "Make Menu" box. It should stick, mine does. Also, having two different versions on your machine shouldn't matter since nothing gets "installed" in the Windows sense and no registry changes are made. You simply extract the zip to a folder and run the .exe from there. As long as they are in separate folders, the different versions won't even know about each other...