PDA

View Full Version : Live MFS Stream

jk1joel
08-03-2006, 04:15 PM
I'm working on a project to send live MFS streams across the network, but since they're live, I can't see any way to determine the end of the stream, so I end up reading off the end of the stream and wrapping back to the start of the stream. Does anyone know of a way to get that information?

If there currently isn't a way, I was planning to add support to the kernel to log all recent disk writes, then make that information available through the streaming server. This would allow a client to verify that the data it is requesting was written to disk more recently than the data it follows. Any thoughts on a possibly easier way to do it?

On a related note, is there good MFS documentation around? or is it something where I should just read the code for mfstools or something?

Jamie
08-03-2006, 05:04 PM
I'm working on a project to send live MFS streams across the network, but since they're live, I can't see any way to determine the end of the stream, so I end up reading off the end of the stream and wrapping back to the start of the stream. Does anyone know of a way to get that information?

If there currently isn't a way, I was planning to add support to the kernel to log all recent disk writes, then make that information available through the streaming server. This would allow a client to verify that the data it is requesting was written to disk more recently than the data it follows. Any thoughts on a possibly easier way to do it?

On a related note, is there good MFS documentation around? or is it something where I should just read the code for mfstools or something?Go look on the alt.org forum. It's been inactive for a long time, but there's a lot of good historical stuff there that is still relevant, e.g. on the contents of a tystream.

I seem to remember that someone over there was working on a kernel module to intercept disk reads and writes to support network streaming.