PDA

View Full Version : Tivo HardDrive in a USB Enclosure!!!

Billmaster
08-07-2006, 04:26 PM
Hi I have a DirecTivo Hughes SDDVR80 Series2.
The other day I put it in my USB enclosure. I have tri-booting laptop WindowsXP, Kubuntu 6.06 and OSX86.
I could see the harddrive but could not mount it. Now that I read a lot more I think if someone helps me patch my Kubuntu, to support Tivo Partions. I can mount the drive that way. I want to copy a few of my programs to my laptop harddrive.

So I'm still a linux noob. Someone please help me out and we can all just throw our Tivo harddrives in a USB enclosure!

Jamie
08-07-2006, 04:29 PM
Hi I have a DirecTivo Hughes SDDVR80 Series2.
The other day I put it in my USB enclosure. I have tri-booting laptop WindowsXP, Kubuntu 6.06 and OSX86.
I could see the harddrive but could not mount it. Now that I read a lot more I think if someone helps me patch my Kubuntu, to support Tivo Partions. I can mount the drive that way. I want to copy a few of my programs to my laptop harddrive.

So I'm still a linux noob. Someone please help me out and we can all just throw our Tivo harddrives in a USB enclosure!You can use tivopart to inform the linux kernel of the tivo partition table. Or just let mfs-utils parse it internally. In that mode, it should even work from windows with cygwin, although there is still a question about whether win NT/2K/XP will clobber the bootpage on a usb drive.

Billmaster
08-07-2006, 04:57 PM
You can use tivopart to inform the linux kernel of the tivo partition table. Or just let mfs-utils parse it internally. In that mode, it should even work from windows with cygwin, although there is still a question about whether win NT/2K/XP will clobber the bootpage on a usb drive.

Thanks for getting this started! This is a non-hacked DirecTivo. Could you explain how to use tivopart to mount the partions? I don't wanna screw up the drive as I have no way to fix it now.

Jamie
08-07-2006, 05:10 PM
Thanks for getting this started! This is a non-hacked DirecTivo. Could you explain how to use tivopart to mount the partions? I don't wanna screw up the drive as I have no way to fix it now.Go see my reply to you in the other thread. There's a link to more complete information.

If your DTivo is unhacked, the shows are encrypted. I'm not sure what you plan to do with them after you extract them. There's little you can do beyond inserting them back onto the same tivo, unless you hack and unscramble them first.

Billmaster
08-11-2006, 09:53 AM
So there is no way to unencrypted the files?

Jamie
08-11-2006, 01:42 PM
So there is no way to unencrypted the files?Only on the tivo where it was recorded: [ref (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39207&highlight=s2_unscramble)]