PDA

View Full Version : synch shows from tivo to pc accross internet

rd3500
08-07-2006, 11:00 PM
Hi guys,

I am moving to Europe in a week and I would like to set up tivo so it synchs with my PC in europe so I can watch it there. I am short on time unfortunately and would appreciate some directions.

My idea was to put tivo ftp on the web and then use a program like secondcopy to synch the folders between tivo and my pc. I know there is a program out there that would convert any ftp site into a mapped drive on the computer, so I know at that point I can use second copy.

I am wondering if there is an easier way and also I was wondering what kind of security precautions I should use for the ftp.

I have a sony series 1 tivo with the cachecard, xplus and a cable modem with a linksys router. Tivo will be directly connected to the linksys through the cachecard network card.

I did not have time to do a lot of research, if you could just point me to the right place I can take it from there. Thanks a lot,

Walter

rd3500
08-07-2006, 11:08 PM
I have to limit the upload bandwith use otherwise the cable connection gets very slow for people using it for surfing or downloading. I was planning on limiting the download bandwith on the pc given that it seems the linksys does not give me any way to limit it.

Also, I can have a dedicated pc set up on the network if that helps anything, like having the pc on the network download the shows from the TIVO locally and then synch with the remote pc in europe.

rd3500
08-08-2006, 06:43 AM
found a way to limit bandwith, one problem solved :-)

lgkahn
08-08-2006, 08:51 AM
most broadband connections do not have enought bandwidth to move shows b between tivos.. unless you have fiber with at least 1.5 meg/sec uplink

one way is to dedicate a home pc and use etivo or vlc to pull every stream off the tivo and shrink them to something that can be sent over the net.
another is just to get a slingbox or something like it and then you can stream over the net if you have at least 300k or so output..

I use slingbox till we get fios.

cheer
08-08-2006, 10:26 AM
most broadband connections do not have enought bandwidth to move shows b between tivos.. unless you have fiber with at least 1.5 meg/sec uplink I don't think he said they had to sync in realtime. There's no minimum bandwidth for moving shows between two locations, afaik. Oh, and why fiber? There are plenty of other technologies that can do 1.5 mb/sec.

Still...EtiVo might be worth a look. True, the final output won't be Tivo-compatible, but if you tweak the settings it does a fine job and it's so automatic and simple it's hard not to like.

lgkahn
08-08-2006, 11:12 AM
no but he did say he needed to limit bandwidth meaning that raw .ty format takes up too much bandwidth..

yes they are technologies but they are not readily avail.
there are not very many broadband connections with a 1.5 megabit or higher uplink.. name one... other than fiber.. normal cable is about 300-500K and adsl max is about 768K...

anyway it is not practical to sync 2 boxes with 768K it takes about 3 hours to move a 1 hour show.

cheer
08-08-2006, 08:39 PM
yes they are technologies but they are not readily avail.
there are not very many broadband connections with a 1.5 megabit or higher uplink.. name one... other than fiber
Fixed wireless (RF). My local provider offers up to 10mb up/down.

I think AT&T's "elite" DSL offers 1mb uplink (if it doesn't, it's about to). And, of course, a T1 certainly has 1.5mb uplink. Which is far, FAR more common than fiber -- in fact, there's no residential fiber product other than FIOS that I'm aware of, and commercial fiber is expensive as hell.

But agreed...common consumer broadband connections make syncing Tivos impractical at most speeds unless you re-encode it way down (which IIRC was the original impetus behind EtiVo).

SteveT
08-09-2006, 08:29 AM
Still...EtiVo might be worth a look. True, the final output won't be Tivo-compatible, but if you tweak the settings it does a fine job and it's so automatic and simple it's hard not to like.Actually, if you just change your etivo encoding profile(s) to use Version 8 (not 9) of Windows Media Video, the files created ARE tivo-compatible (or more specifically tivoserver-compatible). Check the latest CVS version if you want to use etivo's XML.
Alternatively, you could use the etivo DivX addin, which should also create tivoserver-compatible files. (I have not tried this route, since I want files which are compatible with BOTH tivoserver and MCE)

cheer
08-09-2006, 10:39 AM
Actually, if you just change your etivo encoding profile(s) to use Version 8 (not 9) of Windows Media Video, the files created ARE tivo-compatible (or more specifically tivoserver-compatible). Check the latest CVS version if you want to use etivo's XML.
Alternatively, you could use the etivo DivX addin, which should also create tivoserver-compatible files. (I have not tried this route, since I want files which are compatible with BOTH tivoserver and MCE)
I can confirm that using the Divx encoder produces files that are absolutely compatible with Tivoserver.

rd3500
08-11-2006, 09:36 PM
hey guys,

thanks a lot for the replies. I have been away from the computer for the past 2 days but I am back. I guess I need to do some search on etivo, it seems the solution and I don't know what it is. You can tell I have been out of the loop for a while :-)

As far as limiting the bandwith, I probably have about 25k a second going up. The broadband connection is a cable modem with time warner, I would think it can upload close to 30k a sec and download at about 250 to 300. I need to leave some upload bandwith for surfing.

In general I though that since I watch probably a couple of hours total per day (maybe 3 at the most), the limited bandwith was going to be enough given that it would be 24 hour, constantly synching.

Also, the files on the other end can be simply on a PC, I am not going to have a tivo in europe for the time being, I would just watch them on the computer.

I am also going to set up the slingbox which worked fine last time, the problem is the quality of the video is not very good with the limited upload bandwith.

I will do some more research on etivo and report back. Any idea on how to set up an FTP synch?

wayner
08-11-2006, 10:13 PM
TiVo might not be the best way to do this. You might want to look into a PC based PVR, perhaps supplemented with Orb. I use BeyondTV and it will automatically re-encode shows to wmv or divx. Orb lets you stream live TV and can re-encode. It gives relatively watchable live TV over my internet connection which has an upload of about 800 kbps.