PDA

View Full Version : Bridging wired TiVo with wireless LAN in XP for streaming

wayner
08-15-2006, 11:26 PM
I have Two S1 TiVos with TurboNet cards that have been working for several years. I am moving shortly and I will not have ethernet wiring in my new house so I have to use a wireless LAN. Can I connect my TiVo(s) to my LAN in the following way?

Have a PC with a wireless NIC and a wired NIC. Connect the wired NIC to the TiVo's TurboNet card with a crossover cable. In WinXP bridge the two network cards.

Once this is done will my TiVo see the LAN and will I be able to extract shows, etc. over the LAN, assuming that I have a good wireless connection between my PC and LAN?

mike_s
08-16-2006, 08:09 AM
Why not just get a wireless "router" (most have 4 LAN ports, plus the WAN port which goes toward your ISP) and connect the TiVos to the LAN ports? The LAN ports are on the same broadcast domain as the wireless.

wayner
08-16-2006, 05:48 PM
Why not just get a wireless "router" (most have 4 LAN ports, plus the WAN port which goes toward your ISP) and connect the TiVos to the LAN ports? The LAN ports are on the same broadcast domain as the wireless.The TiVos are not in the same part of the house and I don't want to have all of my networking gear - including cable modem, VoIP adapter, etc. sitting by in my TV room which may not be the optimal placement for the wireless router.

lgkahn
08-17-2006, 11:49 PM
here is what I did

ran a wire from the living room down through the floor to basement and then up into my bedroom (which is on 1st floor with living room(

both tivos have usb 2.0 to ehternet dongles..

then I go with both into a linksys 4 port switch

then I go out from the switch to an older linksys wrt54gs running talisman with WDS mode.. also have a external directional antennae

I have another wrt54gs (older model that can run talisman) upstairs and that is how the downstairs tivos and my sling box get on my net..

the upstairs has a large 18db uni antennae because I also use it for connections with various laptops and kids nintendo ds's.

the final upstairs tivo is wired directly into all the stuff upstairs.

wayner
08-18-2006, 04:33 PM
then I go out from the switch to an older linksys wrt54gs running talisman with WDS mode.. also have a external directional antennaeWith WDS mode you are essentially using the router as a wireless bridge, are you not? I am running Talisman on my router so I may buy a second WRT54G and try this. I was trying to do it by attaching to PCs if I had them near the TiVos as that would ngate the need to by other networking hardware.