PDA

View Full Version : How to extract recordings off of S2 Tivo HDD directly (using PC)?

justdoit
09-01-2006, 09:11 AM
Is this possible at all? If yes what do I need?

Trasfer via TivoDesktop is SLOOOOOW!!!
And I believe the other methods to transfer it via the USB will be slow due to the USB Speed bottlenecks etc.

And I am wondering if I could just grab all my recording at the higest speed possible without having to deal with USB or networking at all.

captain_video
09-01-2006, 09:29 AM
Networking is your best bet. You can get good transfer sppeds using a USB to ethernet adapter and Jamie's backported USB 2.0 drivers. There's a sticky thread at the top of the page that discusses direct extraction from a hard drive but I think you'll find it's easier to network your Tivo and use TyTools to extract the videos. Look through the stickys at the top of this page, the newbie section, and the series 2 support section for info on networking your Tivo. I'm assuming you have a series 2 Tivo since you said you were using TTG.

justdoit
09-01-2006, 09:58 AM
Can I ask why networking is better than direct extraction? Is it that direct extraction is not possible?

justdoit
09-01-2006, 11:15 AM
Can I ask why networking is better than direct extraction? Is it that direct extraction is not possible?

I have sd-h400 that comes with FREE basic service.
AND
- TivoDesktop needs Windows XP which I am not willing to upgrade to.
- TivoDesktop is slooooow. 2hr recording takes approx 2hrs which is insane (~2.28Mbps when USB2.0 is supposed to be 480Mbps and wired network is supposed to be 100 Mbps max)
- I believe Tivo does does not support the full USB2.0 speed currently (I am not sure how fast it can be with the USB2.0 backports, I think I read it speeds up only 3X times as fast which still means 40 mins for 2hrs)

if transfer time was max 15 minutes for 2hr then it would have been great but I dont think that is achivable given all the bottlenecks.

So the fastest I can think of is direct transfer (if that can be done at all) and I don't mind taking the drive out to extract the recordings.

Jamie
09-01-2006, 11:29 AM

...Direct extraction is possible, but it means swaping the disk drive in and out of your tivo. That's a pain and increases the chance you'll fry something accidently.

For the most part, extraction is only useful if you have hacked the tivo and turned off scrambling (aka encryption). Scrambled recordings won't do you much good on the PC side.

TTG extraction performance is known to suck. Network extraction can be much faster than that (up to ~ 6MB/sec) if you use the tools here (mfs_ftp, tytool, mfs_uberexport, etc).

cheer
09-01-2006, 11:46 AM
- TivoDesktop is slooooow. 2hr recording takes approx 2hrs which is insane (~2.28Mbps when USB2.0 is supposed to be 480Mbps and wired network is supposed to be 100 Mbps max)
- I believe Tivo does does not support the full USB2.0 speed currently (I am not sure how fast it can be with the USB2.0 backports, I think I read it speeds up only 3X times as fast which still means 40 mins for 2hrs)
Doing mfs_ftp or TyTool extraction (WAY faster than TivoDesktop) and the backport drivers can, as Jamie pointed out, get you as fast as 6MBps. That's megaBYTES. So that's a lot more than three times as fast as 2mbps.

captain_video
09-01-2006, 01:55 PM
I've never tried the direct extraction method myself but after reading through the process I can tell you that hacking your Tivo for networking is child's play compared to direct extraction.

justdoit
09-01-2006, 05:17 PM
I still dont mind direct extraction. Can you point me to some info/steps?

lgkahn
09-01-2006, 05:19 PM
agreed use netoworking but I only get about 2meg bytes (not bits) per second with the backport drivers so I guess your perf. may vary..

I have used direct extraction but only in an emergency when the disk is dying or has died.

you have to manually get the names of all the streams and extract them and then the file will be some number

ie xxxxxx.ty

not the most user friendly

justdoit
09-01-2006, 05:26 PM
Sorry but I am getting a little impatient. If someone can point me to some hands on info I could try and fry it myself and taste it too.

Jamie
09-01-2006, 05:27 PM
I still dont mind direct extraction. Can you point me to some info/steps?There's a sticky thread in the extraction forum on exactly this topic. Shameless suggestion: search for my posts there. There's one in particular that has all the details.

2-3MB/sec is fairly typical network extraction performance. Getting up to 6MB/sec takes some heroics (gige+jumbo frames, custom kernel, etc, etc). There's a "soapbox derby" thread that covers the speedup tricks.

captain_video
09-01-2006, 08:39 PM
If someone can point me to some hands on info I could try and fry it myself and taste it too.
I did that in my first response to your original post. Do I have to take you by the hand, too?

BTUxNine
09-02-2006, 03:04 AM
<deleted> saw other post that your tivo IS hacked.

The best tool for extracting from HD mounted in PC is tmfstream (check jamie's excellent merging of tridge's tools in the file section), but I'd agree with the rest... extracting across the network is a much better alternative unless you have a damaged disk or a HUGE number of shows you need to extract quickly.

lanceks1
09-12-2006, 03:09 AM
I usually get 2.5-3.0 Gig/sec. off my HDVR2 through wired LS wrt54gs. with the USB adaptor. When I put the newer usb.map in and used the Airlink Giga adaptor my speed dropped to 2.0-2.5, so I changed back. To XP Pro w/ Broadcom nic, Hour long shows in 12-15 min. Two hour movies 15-25 min. But using 10r4 Ihave to mux/vob, then change the filename to .mpg only so Sonic 7 can transcode, which takes real time to process on my P4 3gig/1gig mem. I used PTV+Zipp. 1.6, and a little t&e w/TyTools to get everything to work JUST FINE. :)