PDA

View Full Version : TyTool 10r4: Could not open an output file error

Phillip Chapman
09-04-2006, 02:59 PM
I've been using TyTool for several months now with no major problems.

Then today, I'm trying to download a large file (8 gig) and when I try to download using the "get" button I receive a "Could not open an output file" error. I tried to search help, but didn't see anything definite.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help with this so that I can download the show.

captain_video
09-04-2006, 04:38 PM
It sounds like you somehow managed to change the link to your folder where you specified your downloaded files should reside. Go back and setup the destination folder for your extracted files. Select the "Options" dropdown menu and select the "Set Output Directory ->" option from the list and specify the folder where you want you put your downloaded files.

Phillip Chapman
09-04-2006, 06:37 PM
I tried checking this and it didn't make a difference.

By the way, I can download any other program, but not this one. I'm guessing it's because it's so large a file but it may be something else I suppose.

I'm sure this has happened to other folks too, so I'd appreciate any other ideas that you might have.

cheer
09-04-2006, 09:57 PM
Stupid question...is your hard drive partitioned as FAT32 or as NTFS?

Phillip Chapman
09-04-2006, 11:15 PM
It's NTFS. Twenty-four gig are free and I'm trying to download an 8 gig file from the DirecTivo using TyTool 10r4. I've downloaded shows up to 2 gig fine without receiving this error.

cheer
09-04-2006, 11:49 PM
No idea then...works fine for me.

pstgh
09-26-2006, 08:09 AM
Well...I get the "Waiting for connection" in my server script running tserver, but when I hit "Refresh" to see the available Now Showing list, I am getting "ERROR: Connection Failed" in my TyTool screen. I have both the correct server path and bash prompt string listed in prefs, so I'm wondering what I may have done wrong.... FYI, I'm running the series2_mips version of tserver and tytool 104r, so I've not loaded the nowshowing.tcl file as instructed. This is a dtivo box though, so that could be part of the problem here.

Thanks for your thoughts.

cheer
09-26-2006, 10:38 AM
What do you see in the "server" window when you select Start Server from the menu in TyTool? Do you see it find and correctly fire off tserver?

Being a DTivo box shouldn't matter at all.

pstgh
09-26-2006, 01:31 PM
>What do you see in the "server" window when you select Start Server from the menu in TyTool? Do you see it find and correctly fire off tserver?

Yep- at least I assume that is what is happening...it says something to the effect of Doing the low priority fix, then "Waiting for an incoming connection!" That is when I hit refresh, and it fails to connect in the non-server window.

cheer
09-26-2006, 02:50 PM
>What do you see in the "server" window when you select Start Server from the menu in TyTool? Do you see it find and correctly fire off tserver?

Yep- at least I assume that is what is happening...it says something to the effect of Doing the low priority fix, then "Waiting for an incoming connection!" That is when I hit refresh, and it fails to connect in the non-server window.
"Something to the effect of" doesn't cut it. Please cut and paste it exactly.

pstgh
09-26-2006, 03:33 PM
OK- here it is...

Connected...
We got 'bash-2.02# ' which is the prompt!
bash-2.02# /ptvupgrade/bin/tserver
Doing the Lowest PriorityFix...
Waiting for an incoming connection!

Then, after hitting the Refresh button, the Alpha #10 rel 4 client screen says...

Trancode Selected Mode: 0
Ready...
Reading list from the server...
Clear Now Showing List...
Connecting to 'my tivo address here'
ERROR: Failed to Connect!

I'm wondering what method the client uses to connect because in order to get to my networked tivo, the proper port needs to be forwarded. Conneting to 'my tivo address here' works if it is using either port 21, 23, or 8074, but not likely any other port (at least it is not likely that it knows my own personal port id for the unit).

cheer
09-26-2006, 05:58 PM
I'm wondering what method the client uses to connect because in order to get to my networked tivo, the proper port needs to be forwarded. Conneting to 'my tivo address here' works if it is using either port 21, 23, or 8074, but not likely any other port (at least it is not likely that it knows my own personal port id for the unit).
Are you behind a firewall or router? That certainly changes things.

Try single socket mode.

pstgh
09-26-2006, 06:03 PM
Behind a router. SSM would slow things down quite a bit....but anyway, I just tried it and = same result. Connection Failed!

cheer
09-26-2006, 06:35 PM
So there's a router between you and your Tivo? Yes, then, you would need to set up port forwarding. AND you will almost assuredly have to use SSM because of the NAT.

I believe tserver's TCP port is 3565.

Why do you have a router between yourself and your Tivo?

captain_video
09-26-2006, 07:20 PM
If both the Tivo and the PC are on the LAN side, as they should be, then it shouldn't be an issue. There would be no reason for one to be connected to the WAN side, if that's what you're implying.

BTW, what is this thread doing in the development forum? It should have been moved to the support forum.

cheer
09-26-2006, 07:43 PM
If both the Tivo and the PC are on the LAN side, as they should be, then it shouldn't be an issue. There would be no reason for one to be connected to the WAN side, if that's what you're implying.I got the impression, based on what he said, that there is a router between him and his Tivo.
BTW, what is this thread doing in the development forum? It should have been moved to the support forum.
Um, it IS in the support forum...AFAIK always has been...

pstgh
09-27-2006, 09:44 AM
No- NAT is not enabled. Sorry, I should have clarified how my home network is setup before we got this far- I have both my pc and my tivo behind a router, which is connected to the net. All are using DHCP, but my router is set to keep my home domain IP address updated through dyndns.org, which works quite well.

Thank you for the 3565 comment- I had not seen or read that before, but after forwarding that port, all is working fine!

cheer
09-27-2006, 09:46 AM
No- NAT is not enabled. Sorry, I should have clarified how my home network is setup before we got this far- I have both my pc and my tivo behind a router, which is connected to the net. All are using DHCP, but my router is set to keep my home domain IP address updated through dyndns.org, which works quite well.

Thank you for the 3565 comment- I had not seen or read that before, but after forwarding that port, all is working fine!
So explain to me why you need to port forward...if both the PC and Tivo are behind the router, you shouldn't even be touching the router unless something is badly misconfigured.

captain_video
09-27-2006, 10:52 AM
Um, it IS in the support forum...AFAIK always has been...
My bad. I thought I was browsing the development forum when I read the thread. Just another senior moment.:rolleyes:

pstgh
09-27-2006, 11:19 AM
Badly misconfigured? Perhaps, I suppose, I'm always open to constructive criticism, but not sure how it could be setup any better. For starters, I'm extracting to a pc away from my home network. Secondly, my tivo is wirelessly bridged to my router. Do you know a better way!?

cheer
09-27-2006, 11:22 AM
OK...you said above that your PC and Tivo are both behind the router. But now you're saying the PC is away from your home network. That makes more sense.

pstgh
09-27-2006, 01:00 PM
Sorry for the confusion- my "home" pc is, like my tivo, behind my router. I'm extracting to another pc - away from my home network.

I am experiencing fairly slow rates of transfer, so I need to read up on various tweaks. Perhaps I will just hardwire my tivo to my home pc for a quicker transfer and then take the file with me on a dvd or cd or something if I need a quicker method.

cheer
09-27-2006, 01:34 PM
Sorry for the confusion- my "home" pc is, like my tivo, behind my router. I'm extracting to another pc - away from my home network.

I am experiencing fairly slow rates of transfer, so I need to read up on various tweaks. Perhaps I will just hardwire my tivo to my home pc for a quicker transfer and then take the file with me on a dvd or cd or something if I need a quicker method.
I would think that your upload bandwidth at home is probably your limiting factor, unless you have amazingly fast Internet...on a LAN even with stock drivers I can usually extract at about 750 KB/sec, which is roughly 6 megabits/sec...not many home Internet connections have a 6mb uplink.

pstgh
10-03-2006, 09:47 AM
I assume you meant to say 6mb/min? Yes- the upload bandwidth is definitely the bottleneck. I think my bridge may be a bit limiting too, not sure what the speed of the average wireless router is, but it seems to be part of the equation.

By the way- regarding ports, for streaming, do you forward 8074 for vserver, or another port? I ask this because I have yet to actually get it to work from outside my LAN, and inside is spotty streaming at best. When I click on "View" inside the TWP gui, I get "connecting" on the bottom line of my WMP screen for about 20 secs, but then it just closes up and doesn't work. I assume it is either failing to make a connection, OR it is so slow that WMP is giving up.

Thanks!

cheer
10-04-2006, 07:53 AM
I assume you meant to say 6mb/min?
No, I did not. 750 kilobytes/sec = ~6 megabits/sec.

Not sure about vserver; I don't really stream outside of my LAN anymore. But it does sound like a port issue, not a timeout issue.

aaron451
10-08-2006, 12:29 PM
Tytools seems to work fine. But when I try to get a 4 hour video it pulls 3,096,576 bytes and says it's done. then when I do the "make key file(s)" I get the message:

"Sorry... Failed to get the first 10 initial chunks...
Have to have at least that many to start the analysis phase...

DiffTime = 0.000000 (0) == 0.000000 Minutes

total = 1310720 (1 MB)"

I noticed in the "now showing" window it seems the shows "block" numbers on the far right of the display seem to be chopped off. Could this be a limitation in Tytools?

ScanMan
10-08-2006, 12:43 PM
then when I do the "make key file(s)" I get the message:

"Sorry... Failed to get the first 10 initial chunks...
Have to have at least that many to start the analysis phase...
This is an FAQ; it means you haven't disabled tystream encryption; look into the superpatch.

aaron451
10-08-2006, 01:23 PM
I do have encryption turned off. I use tytools all the time to extract. this is the longest program I have tried to extract and I get these errors.

the now showing window seems to cut off the link numbers. just an observation as all other now showing entries seem fine and i can extract other files. BTW, this plays fine on the Dtivo

ScanMan
10-08-2006, 04:17 PM
I do have encryption turned off. I use tytools all the time to extract. this is the longest program I have tried to extract and I get these errors.

the now showing window seems to cut off the link numbers. just an observation as all other now showing entries seem fine and i can extract other files. BTW, this plays fine on the DtivoWas that video recorded before you disabled encryption? Anything recorded prior to superpatch remains encrypted. The "Sorry... Failed to get the first 10 initial chunks..." is definitely an encryption issue.

aaron451
10-09-2006, 12:25 PM
no, it is definately recorded with encryption OFF. I will try a different recording that is of comparible size and see if the same error occurs.

ScanMan
10-09-2006, 04:33 PM
no, it is definately recorded with encryption OFF. I will try a different recording that is of comparible size and see if the same error occurs.Not that I'm doubting you, but are you absolutely sure? Run 'cipercheck' (included in AlphaWolf's All-In-One utilities) - it will list the encryption status of each recording. AFAIK, the only reason I've ever seen for that error message is encryption related.

aaron451
10-09-2006, 06:10 PM
I'll D/L and try the ciphercheck.tcl. I have a DVR40 hacked with a PTV CD (v6.2...) I assume I can just telnet and run the script?

cheer
10-09-2006, 07:10 PM
Do NOT use "ciphercheck.tcl." Use "ciphercheck" which is included in AlphaWolf's All-In-One utils, as ScanMan said.

aaron451
10-10-2006, 11:26 AM
got the Alpha tools. will try tonight and let you know what I find.

aaron451
10-18-2006, 04:44 PM
sorry it took so long to get back. As you stated, after I ran cyphercheck (NOT the tcl one) it showed that resent recordings were IN FACT encrypted! My apologies for ever doubting you :(

Don't know HOW the encryption got turned back on.

So, is there anyway to un-encrypt a .ty file after transfer? Or am I stuck doing a capture with "save to VCR"?

cheer
10-18-2006, 05:42 PM
Not after transfer, no. But if the file still exists on the Tivo, you can use the S2_Unscramble method. Search in the Series 2 forum for "S2_Unscramble" and you'll see it.