PDA

View Full Version : MFS_FTP fresh install question.

flagmaster
09-15-2006, 02:23 PM
Ok, this may be a really stupid question, and if so, Im really sorry....

So, I have an HR-10-250 HD tivo, and I have been successfully moving HD files off it with tytool.

I got this new RGB CRT projector, and Iv got it tuned just perfect for grey scale---for my DVD player, and my HD-VCR (jvc 300000)---since I was able to send a nice greybar test pattern from each source.

On my tivo, the only real test pattern I have access to is "HDNet test pattern".

So, what I would like to do is put some of these grey bar test patterns into tivo's now playing list. As I understand it, I cant do that with tytool, I need to ftp it up using MFS_FTP.

I also understand that I need to convert my "grey.ts" file (in 720x480) to elementry streams, and remux them into a .ty file, then proabaly fill in some info (title, descition etc..) as XML, and tar it into a .TMF file.

But at this point, I hit a wall just as soon as I hit step 1 of the install of MFS_FTP.

In the read me, it says I need to upload several files into /var/mfs_ftp -ok.
Then it says I need to +x a few files to make them executable....

Well, after uploading everythign that was in the tar file it appears that Im missing three files???

I will list them for you when I get home (Im at work now).

But my guess is this issue has come up before and someone proabaly knows exactly what Im needing here.

Since this an HR-10-250, Im in need of the S2 mips binarys.

I cant seem to find them...

My search did show others have done what Im trying to do---upload HD test patterns to an HR-10-250.

note: one thing I did not do is the untar at the tivo itself. I nomrally do that in windows, and then just bring the extracted files over and set the rights after. Im not even sure I have the "tar" program or the "cpio" file on my tivo...not sure if this is why Im missing 3 binarys?

Thanks in adavnce.

flagmaster
09-15-2006, 10:51 PM
Let me simplify the question....

Is there a mips version of this avaible for download, or do I have to compile them myself due to the softeware license?

cheer
09-15-2006, 11:35 PM
Let me simplify the question....

Is there a mips version of this avaible for download, or do I have to compile them myself due to the softeware license?
Install the S1 mfs_ftp archive, then download and install the unified mfs_* utils (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39487) on top of it. Be sure to read the README files in the "noarch" archive so you know what you have to do in terms of making symlinks, etc.

flagmaster
09-18-2006, 03:59 PM
Ok, I got it working in terms of downloading, but Im having a hell of a time uploading to the tivo.

Im not sure what I did wrong, but when I download a TMF file from the tfm folder, to my windows desktop, all is well. I rename the long file name from its downloaded long name, to a simple name like "robot.tmf".

Im using WS_FTP, and when I set up the transfer for upload, TO the TMF folder and hit the upload button, it stats to go, and the program name shows in "no playing" with a red dot on it.

with the "tail -f port.3015.log" I can see in the window that the binay file upload only gets to a certain point and then bombs out....

------

03:50:40:PM - 150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for "{Robot Chicken t.tmf}"
bgerror invoked with error

" error writing "file28": broken pipe "

re-initializing mfs_ftp

close the current ftp connection and simply open another

"core dump" :p

info(version): 1.2.9p
info(tswv): 3.1.5f-01-2-357
info(dbl): 0
info(ithrottle): 2
info(insert_priority): 10
info(multithreaded): 0
info(saveuntil): suggestion
info(name_detail): 5
info(bjuggle): 0
info(active): 0
info(ac_interval): 1800
info(gatewayip): 127.0.0.1
info(gatewayport): 3105

catch close lastsock val ""
------

The red dot file in now playing is dead, and I can only delete it thur the ftp client by deleting it from that file list in the TMF folder.

Any clues? I will be doing some searches tonight on "broken pipe".

Carey

Jamie
09-18-2006, 04:40 PM
Any clues? I will be doing some searches tonight on "broken pipe".Set the debug level (info(dbl)) to 5 for a log with more information.

It sounds like the process that mfs_ftp writes to (mfs_stdinsert) either isn't starting, or is bombing out. Are you sure you have a working mfs_stdinsert installed in the mfs_ftp directory?

flagmaster
09-18-2006, 05:11 PM
I have one, but Im not 100% sure its the correct one I need for an HD Tivo (S2 mips).

Could you please point a link to the correct one?

cheer
09-18-2006, 05:17 PM
Look at the 3rd post in this thread; there's a link to the unified mfs_* utils. Then, from the readme:

To use with the unpatched mfs_ftp, copy mfs_{export,import,stream,tarstream,uberexport} to your mfs_ftp directory and make a symlink from mfs_import to mfs_stdinsert.
If you already have an mfs_stdinsert binary in your mfs_ftp directory, remove it.

flagmaster
09-18-2006, 06:03 PM
Hummm, some how I must have missed that part of the readme.
I had some bad luck with the symlink, not sure why, but I did this....

cp mfs_import mfs_stdinsert (making a copy of the file) and now Im getting a successfull upload to the now playing list of a TMF file!

Rock 'n role!!

Thanks Cheer, your a big help!

Carey

flagmaster
09-18-2006, 08:07 PM
New problem, the upload stops at about 512megs.
Reading now,,,

Jamie
09-18-2006, 08:18 PM
New problem, the upload stops at about 512megs.
Reading now,,,That sounds like a "part" boundary. It's normal to have to pause for a while between parts while it is finding and allocating space for the next part. If it hangs forever, capture a level 5 debug log as described earlier.

flagmaster
09-18-2006, 08:44 PM
It stopped and totaly hung the task, the telnet window is frozen, the rest of the tivo is working fine. I have not rebooted tivo yet because its getting a recording I want, when thats done, I will try again.

This was an upload of a larger ty+ file. (808meg)
just trying things out, I was wondering how it would handle a ty file with no xml data on it....

clip of debug level 5

------------------------------

"STOR American Eats.ty+"
06:54:45:PM - make_blank_rec: "American Eats.ty+"
06:54:46:PM - created blank recording {2642658}
06:54:46:PM - rec_info_from_db: recobj{2642658}
06:54:46:PM - American Eats.ty+ k
06:54:46:PM - cache_xml_2_disk: recobj{2642658} force cache = "0"
06:54:46:PM - recording in progress, don't cache 2642658.xml yet
06:54:46:PM - calc_tertiary_info: recobj{2642658}
06:54:46:PM - 150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for "{American Eats.ty+}"
06:54:46:PM - parse_ty+:
06:54:46:PM - ty2fsid: fsid{2642658}
06:54:46:PM - header descriptor is "Fz"
06:54:46:PM - tchl is "000fa504" == "4006" chunks
06:54:47:PM - AddPart: "2642658" - "525074432" bytes
06:54:47:PM - AddPart stream allocate errval
"2642661"
06:54:47:PM - AddPart: retryev
""
06:54:47:PM - added part "2642661" of "500" meg
06:54:47:PM - set priorities: mfs_ftp 1 % I/O chan 10 %
472 meg 520k/sec
------------------------

flagmaster
09-19-2006, 08:50 AM
Ok, trying an even bigger file (in hdtv) 1.96gig, and doing it in the tmf format, and it seems to be working fine, Im already way past the 512 meg point and its still uploading.

I think mabye the the .ty+ file I was trying might have been goofy, not sure.

Id like to be able to upload large ty files with this---ty files that I make my self from other video sources.

Acutally, my full plan is to download HD shows, edit out the commericails, and then reupload them back to the tivo. Once I edit them (with video redo plus) then they will be one big mpg file. I can then convert that back to ty with mplex for windows----right?

flagmaster
09-19-2006, 10:26 AM
Ok, quick update on progresss.....

mfs_ftp on an hd tivo is simply amazing!

I uploaded a plain old ty file, no xml, and no parts, just a big 2 gig ty file. (decrypted of course).

Not only did the upload work, but amazingly some how it auctally added in all the proper id stuff that nomrally would only work on a tmf file. I got the show title, description, and actors, and oringal air date, the works!!

How did it do that from a stright ty file??? hummm.... I dont know, but Im very impressed!

My only clue is that an exact copy of this show is already active on my now playing list, and tivo or mfs_ftp was smart enough to see it was a bit for bit copy of it, so it ripped that info from the other show?

not sure, but still very cool.

cheer
09-19-2006, 11:23 AM
If you originally extracted the .ty with mfs_ftp, then the xml is there...I'm pretty sure I saw Riley post a while ago that there really isn't any difference between .ty and .ty+ anymore.

Jamie
09-19-2006, 11:29 AM
In general, I've found tmf insertion to be more reliable than ty+ insertion with mfs_ftp. Look for ty+2tmf.pl (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?p=231695#post231695) for a script to create tmf's from ty+ files.

Look into the ty enabled ffmpeg (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50010&highlight=ffmpeg) rather than the older ty enabled mplex. It seems to do a better job.

You might also look into chunkedit (http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31799) to edit out commercials while the shows are still on the tivo. I haven't used it, so I'm not certain if it supports S2 tivos.

flagmaster
09-23-2006, 02:04 PM
Ok, get this, I found anotehr clue as to whats going on.

It seems as tho I get a 100% success rate at TY insertion if I do this...

1. pick a previously inserted tmf/ty show in now playing.
2. play it.
3. pause it.
4. leave it pasued.
5. start the ty upload.
6. dont touch the tivo at all till its successfully uploaded.

This is with stock usb drivers.

Any clues here?

flagmaster
10-14-2006, 08:15 PM
Ok, here is an interesting question for you all.

I convert a DVD with AC3 audio into a TY file.

I upload it to the HD tivo, and all gose well.

I play the file in my no playing list, its fine.

For fun, I try to extract it with tytool, and its a total no go.

Why?